Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
This just came up in my youtube feed.
https://youtu.be/H6QhjZUM_1k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I dunno, I don't hate this. It recontextualizes the problematic element into a problematic character trait that the work as a whole no longer endorses. If you're gonna keep it as written, this is probably genuinely the best option.

Wouldn't work so well with Growltiger's last stand though...

e:

drat :stare: What a great and unexpected introduction to what a Manson-style cult is. I also wish it had talked more about MacCavity and his perhaps-staged public denouncement in front of everyone (and denial of the prize) as a warning to the others.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 31, 2020

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

This early December (so pre-release) Tom Hooper interview offers some insight into the madness, but raises as many questions as it answers.

quote:

...this journey specifically started when I was walking through Soho on postproduction on Les Mis seven years ago. I suddenly had a feeling of sadness: Oh, I’ve so enjoyed doing a musical for the first time, and I’ve learned so much. It would be crazy if I never applied that learning curve to something else.

That would be crazy indeed, Tom Hooper! So how did you go about applying that learning curve?

quote:

But there’s also a weird latent eroticism to Cats, right? They’re gyrating and dancing, and it still feels very 1979, 1980, 1981, the era of the original musical and the age of cocaine, disco, and wild, formfitting outfits. I imagine reconciling that notion with the idea of making a family film is a challenge.

As a kid, I remember thinking, If they were just playing humans, would my parents take me to this? And it was quite like, you know, because they were cats it was okay. But it was quite sexy, the show in ’81. I think part of how I handled it, I hope, was that Rebel [Wilson] effectively lampoons that very thing in her first scene. So one way is to acknowledge that pitfall comedically early on in the movie.

quote:

I like how the scale in Cats never makes any sense. When I first saw the trailer, it sort of bothered me, but now it just adds to the delirium. Sometimes things are comically huge; sometimes they’re a lot smaller than expected.

I mean, it was based on a bit of maths. If a cat was standing on hind legs, what’s the difference? And it’s about two and a half to one. So everything is built two and a half to one. But then you still end up with a street that’s only as wide as you can make it in the studio — whereas if you’ve applied the two and a half rule, it would be superwide. But it was never meant to be that literal. Obviously, if we’re cats, the world would be bigger. But it also puts you back in a childlike position because, of course, when you’re a toddler, the table is higher than you are. So it has that trick of perspective. The look on people’s faces when they visited our set was one of childlike wonder.

quote:

That also speaks to the artificiality of the environment. It all still feels like a set, though not in a bad way. Was there ever a thought to try to make it a more realistic version of London?

As I progressed through it, I began to realize that if the world was heightened, it would help to create a space of permission for my human cat designs. The film opens with the image of a cat formed in the night sky backlit by the moon. That was an idea I came up with during the editing. It’s a statement that we’re in another world. A lot of filmmaking in the mainstream is hidebound by a certain literalism and realism for very good reasons. But the fun thing about the musical form is the ability to be in a more heightened space. I definitely thought a bit about Baz Luhrmann’s Moulin Rouge and the way he wasn’t inhibited by creating a Paris that was photo-realistic.

quote:

The cockroach sequence that Andy [Blankenbuehler] choreographed for me so beautifully is obviously our nod to Busby Berkeley.

quote:

There’s often a very specific visual strategy to each of your films. The King’s Speech had those wide angles and the high head-space framing. And Les Mis had, for example, the Anne Hathaway single-take sequence. Did you make any decisions like that beforehand for something like this?

I had this phrase organic cat, which was a sort of non-choreographic cat, i.e., when the cats are moving as cats but in a naturalistic context — in other words, they weren’t moving on a beat, it wasn’t a musicalized movement. For that, I tended to shoot handheld because I felt the unpredictability of feline movement was best caught by the camera operator picking up the cues maybe a little bit late. And then I tried to use classical photography more for the way particular numbers were structured. So the Rebel Wilson scene becomes classical in a kind of Busby Berkeley style. Or Skimbleshanks the Railway Cat is a nod to the great musicals of a different era; I wanted to shoot it with the honesty of the full frame and the head-to-toe size and being quite kind of graphic and simple. So it was threading between those two styles. In a sense, the clarity that a musical gives you choreographically is that your decisiveness is reflected by the decisiveness of the camera. And then, as you break out of that into the interstitial moments, the handheld quality tries to capture that sense of being back in a world not structured by melody.

quote:

I had this phrase organic cat, which was a sort of non-choreographic cat, i.e., when the cats are moving as cats but in a naturalistic context

Indie Rocktopus fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 31, 2020

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Gianthogweed posted:

This just came up in my youtube feed.
https://youtu.be/H6QhjZUM_1k

Oh golly, is it one of those 'CATS is about a death cult' hot takes? Of course it's a death cult, it's London in 1939. Stray cats had a life expectancy of two years and owned cats had their own problems. I'd give the afterlife roulette a spin too.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Indie Rocktopus posted:

This early December (so pre-release) Tom Hooper interview offers some insight into the madness, but raises as many questions as it answers.

Wow, this guy is a massive idiot. "Let's take choreography---you know, that thing that's intrinsic for a physical spectacle show like Cats---and remove it. Oh, and let's have Judi Dench lick her lips in anticipation."

Wait, I take it back. This guy is a loving genius. His inability to make that connection means Cats 2019 gives us gif fuel for all of eternity.

Bonus cat gif from a good movie:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Don't accuse my movie of being horny! Look I hired Rebel Wilson just so that we wouldn't have to talk about this!!!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It’s rich that he keeps talking about the cockroach number as being like Busby Berkeley when the way it’s filmed completely fails to convey that scope at all.

Like a Busby Berkeley number is this combination of stagecraft, intense choreography, and camera tricks/optical effects linked together to just overwhelm you with spectacle and that... so isn’t

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Busby Berkeley could only dream of a dance number where a fat gumbie cat eats cockroach people

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Busby Berkeley could never even conceive of such a horror

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i mean, i don't know, the cockroach thing being a Busby Berkeley homage tracks? his thing was large groups of people in weird costumes doing elaborate synchronized routines, and that's more or less what the cockroach bit is, just with weird body horror added in

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i mean, i don't know, the cockroach thing being a Busby Berkeley homage tracks? his thing was large groups of people in weird costumes doing elaborate synchronized routines, and that's more or less what the cockroach bit is, just with weird body horror added in

Yeah but the framing and staging just doesn't get across any of that elaborate spectacle. You just see the cockroaches marching around a bit. A Berkeley routine on film can get really abstract and the photography usually emphasizes the composition of the dancers as a whole, the pattern they create. There's none of that spatial sense because Hooper can't stage a production number to save his life.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

It's a Bubsy Berkeley homage in the same way that a TV show might have a Bubsy Berkeley homage. There's juuuuust enough to give you an idea of what they're going for, but none of the effort that went into the genuine article.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Out-homaged by The Brave Little Toaster.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i didn't say it was a particularly good one, i'm just not really surprised to see Hooper saying that because in hindsight it seems kind of obvious

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The unzipping of fur will never not be horrifying to me.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

For me, it's how nonchalantly Jennyanydots eats that roach with the human face, and that the roaches continue their merry dance routine.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFbYLyBi090

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

BigglesSWE posted:

The unzipping of fur is a difficult matter
It isn't just one of your holiday games

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Do you all remember the foot fetish scene at the end of Rum Tum Tugger? Now you do!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The cockroach sequence is so plainly unfinished that it's hard to judge, really.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The mice are transparently terrified of being eaten on a whim while the cockroaches continue their dance number oblivious to being actively eaten

It's amazing

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I feel like the mouse design was worse than the cockroaches, though of course we see less of them. Like again, something you'd see in a British children's show.

Honestly if they had shot the whole thing with a "BBC in 1981" aesthetic it'd probably work a lot better.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
A CAT
IS NOT
A DOG

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I feel like the mouse design was worse than the cockroaches
It's the children's faces. They shouldn't have brought children into this mess, but they did and now everyone involved has to live with it.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

It's the children's faces. They shouldn't have brought children into this mess, but they did and now everyone involved has to live with it.

There are absolutely going to be Wizard of Oz-style urban legends fifty years from now about what happened to those kids.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
I;m thinking about thos Cats

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Maxwell Lord posted:

I feel like the mouse design was worse than the cockroaches, though of course we see less of them. Like again, something you'd see in a British children's show.

Honestly if they had shot the whole thing with a "BBC in 1981" aesthetic it'd probably work a lot better.

Here is the Cats 2019 mouse design:

just another posted:

my face right now

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah but the framing and staging just doesn't get across any of that elaborate spectacle. You just see the cockroaches marching around a bit. A Berkeley routine on film can get really abstract and the photography usually emphasizes the composition of the dancers as a whole, the pattern they create. There's none of that spatial sense because Hooper can't stage a production number to save his life.

"I wanted to make an homage to Steve Reich's music so I held down the E key on my synth for a few hours."

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

BigglesSWE posted:

I love that it becomes a minor plot point to how the cats on the boat get free.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

wyoming posted:

I love that it becomes a minor plot point to how the cats on the boat get free.

It could have been dancing cockroaches that saved them, but Jennyanydots slaughtered them wholesale for by eating them and kicking over their cake stage.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

just another posted:

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Look at this feeble 4th wall breakage at 1m40s and this film calls itself a cat movie ~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v34w65U98gI

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Bogus Adventure posted:

Steven Spielberg's Cats:

A live-action adventure tale where the Jellicle Tribe are driven out of their home by the villainous Macavity and his minions. They wander the streets, searching for their way to the Heaviside Layer. The movie involves lots of shots of cats looking.

Steven Spielberg Presents Cats:

A wacky animated film that is meta, poking fun at the concept of the musical, and all of the characters are clearly in on the joke. Basically, it's the best thing anyone has ever seen since Animaniacs.

lol the film was literally financed in no small part by Mr. Spielspurr

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I'm the extra ring they forgot to edit out on the non-wedding ring hand

Meowbe Lady Dame Judi Dench is left-handed

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I always thought it was like an homage to the passion of Tennessee Williams

Man Musk fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 1, 2020

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

T. Hooper posted:

I imagine reconciling that notion with the idea of making a family film is a challenge.

An erotic family film is either an oxymoron or incest. This guy has no anchor in reality after making some great movies. I think this shows in how Cats has no anchor in reality.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
far from the most horrifying CG in the film, but remember that shot where James Corden drinks from a comically oversized champagne bottle, and the liquid that pours out is obviously CG and looks like a water effect from an early Xbox 360 game? or Rebel Wilson's feet clipping through the floor of the barge?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Man Musk posted:

lol the film was literally financed in no small part by Mr. Spielspurr

I guess that explains this shot

ThePopeOfFun posted:

An erotic family film is either an oxymoron or incest. This guy has no anchor in reality after making some great movies. I think this shows in how Cats has no anchor in reality.

Well, he IS the guy who probably heard execs say, "I want you to take this extremely horny musical and make it a fun film for the whole family," and immediately replied, "I can do that no problem."

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Barry Convex posted:

shot where James Corden drinks from a comically oversized champagne bottle, and the liquid that pours out is obviously CG and looks like a water effect from an early Xbox 360 game?

yeah I specifically remember how it would kinda overflow onto his cheeks and then just sorta stay there/disappear? Like it didn't make his face wet or get onto the ground it was just gone

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bogus Adventure posted:

I guess that explains this shot

I imagine the dude on the right was told to "act thirsty"

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Time to watch CATS again and do a bunch of coke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

The character of Mr. Mistofoles sucks so much in the movie. And it never stops being weird...the cat people. No matter how many times your brain can’t ever settle into these being cats or people and that lurching attempt to process this failed hybrid is such a trip.