Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

So which would McConnell rather have, a 49-51 vote against, or 50-50 and Roberts saying no witnesses? If McConnell is confident in Roberts, it wouldn't suprise me to give Murkowski a pass too, he could spin it as the Chief Justice giving the trial his blessing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

terrorist ambulance posted:

i skimmed this bullshit and it seems to say I don't need any more witnesses because:

i) it's clear he pressured ukraine improperly for personal gain;
ii) it was improper to do so, I don't need any more witnesses to think he did crimes; and
iii) while improper I don't think it rises to the level you should be impeached for.

I'm actually... ok? with that from a republican? I mean, it's not "no crimes, fake news, trump is the state, he's daddy emperor, anything he does is lawful by definition". while i disagree with it, it's at least a little coherent and honest-ish

No way. There is literally no reasonable way this *doesn't* rise to the level of impeachment.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

FBS posted:

I for one am grateful to Alexander for the mercy kill

True.

What's the point of getting 4 GOP'ers to vote for calling witnesses if we were never going to get 20 to vote to convict any way?

The whole point of impeachment has been to force the Senate to muck themselves up in Trump's stink. Mission accomplished. They are unquestionably accomplices now. Anything he does between now and November, they own even more.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Never get your hopes up that a Republican will ever do the right thing. Ever.

:same:

I'm genuinely depressed right now. My mom just went on a huge hateful rant about how dangerous democrats are to government and how they're just filled with hate and it's the only reason they're doing what they're doing.

My mom has a bachelor's in criminal justice and graduated summa cum laude with a 4.0, for what it's worth. Just to really hammer in how painful it is that she cannot see the forest for the trees here.

How is she so loving stupid? I don't think I could be any more disappointed with her right now.

Oh wait, I can be, because an acquittal without witnesses makes this a complete and utter insult and embarrassment to this entire nation and she's going to be so loving smug about it. It's such an obvious cover-up. How can they just straight up concede that Trump did it and it was indeed an abuse of power and just... be okay with that. How are people not loving terrified of that?

God I cannot loving stand republicans.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

LabyaMynora posted:

Hahahaha, Collins running to microphone to say "I'm voting YES!!!" because she knows it's a done deal.

It's ain't 20 years ago, Maine voters know what's up with her.

Maine is a blue-rear end state and Maine voters are in favor of impeachment 60/40. She thinks this helps her re-election chances, but I think she's toast.

For comparison, Corey Gardner knows he's DOA and is just looking for right-wing welfare come 2021.
Then why is her opponent Sarah Gideon constantly trailing her in the polls? :stare:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

There Bias Two posted:

No way. There is literally no reasonable way this *doesn't* rise to the level of impeachment.
Reporting from the Senate is saying that the Rs are citing the Dershowitz defence that if the motive isn't 100% personal than it's not impeachable.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Republicans are the party of tyranny and should always be always refered to as such. When some chud fuckhead dipshit scumfucker denies this ask them why their party thinks "abuse of power" is okay?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

The funny part is that Alexander is still saying Trump did some dirty poo poo, and anyone who tries to duplicate his wording is going to get the full spray of petulant piss from Donnie.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

SubG posted:

Reporting from the Senate is saying that the Rs are citing the Dershowitz defence that if the motive isn't 100% personal than it's not impeachable.

"Your honor, 99% of my motivation for killing that man on the street was just because I hated his loving hairstyle. But 1% of that reason was because he MIGHT be an axe murderer. It's not 100% personal! You gotta acquit!"

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Lot of people calling Alexander a giant coward on twitter, but unfortunately it is trending #2 below this

https://twitter.com/iWatchiAm/status/1223076312996368390

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

SubG posted:

What a loving derch
The derch of a nation.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Karia posted:

So which would McConnell rather have, a 49-51 vote against, or 50-50 and Roberts saying no witnesses? If McConnell is confident in Roberts, it wouldn't suprise me to give Murkowski a pass too, he could spin it as the Chief Justice giving the trial his blessing.

McConnell wants 60-40. McConnell gives not one drat what Roberts has to say, and would extremely like to not involve Roberts in the final deal. But if it's close, McConnell would probably suck up to Roberts to get that juicy third branch.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I'll be stupid and retain one last worn down thread of hope, but I'd rather just see them open at 1pm, raise the question of witnesses, move the previous question at 1:10pm, vote down witnesses, then close with acquittal by 2pm and get stuck in the chambers all weekend while the riots are going on outside.

Everyone who said "I'm a juror so I'm going in with an open mind" lied. Did even one senator change their opinion?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

There Bias Two posted:

That's just, like, your opinion man

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
At least Alexander admitted that they would let Trump get away with literally ANYTHING. This makes it harder for Manchin/Sinema to vote to acquit.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah my suspicions that they're going to let a couple of vulnerable Senators vote yes on a vote that they know is going to lose anyway seems correct

This will be over tomorrow night

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer
Feel free to call these Senator fucks on the phone, btw. Can't hurt.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

There Bias Two posted:

Well, remember, nothing is impeachable if it's done to get re elected

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Otteration posted:

Feel free to call these Senator fucks on the phone, btw. Can't hurt.
This might be cathartic and shouting in the wind but make sure to call your Republican senator and let them know that they just enabled a dictatorship. Also let them know that that's a bad thing because they might think it's a good thing.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

empty whippet box posted:

Well, remember, nothing is impeachable if it's done to get re elected

These loving idiots just opened a pandora's box. I kind of hope Bernie wins and just goes hog wild.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Madkal posted:

This might be cathartic and shouting in the wind but make sure to call your Republican senator and let them know that they just enabled a dictatorship. Also let them know that that's a bad thing because they might think it's a good thing.
If I call Rick Scott's office it will just be a string of words that will have to be censored

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Djarum posted:

These loving idiots just opened a pandora's box. I kind of hope Bernie wins and just goes hog wild.

Wins how? If its effectively legal for a Republican President to do anything without consequences or oversight, why would they not take every possible unethical course of action to rig the next election?

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
Literal open fascism. Violating the principle of equal justice under the law is not grounds for removal from office. It's not like I didn't expect this outcome, I just didn't expect anyone to come out and state it so plainly. We are well and truly hosed.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Karia posted:

49-51, not close, if it was 50-50 and Roberts puts his thumbs on the scale like that it makes it way easier to pack the courts

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Roberts doesn't have the authority to break 50-50 ties, I don't think. The Vice President explicitly does in votes other than impeachment, but there's nothing in the Constitution, or law, or impeachment rules that gives the Chief Justice that power. A 50-50 vote just loses.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Epicurius posted:

Roberts doesn't have the authority to break 50-50 ties, I don't think. The Vice President explicitly does in votes other than impeachment, but there's nothing in the Constitution, or law, or impeachment rules that gives the Chief Justice that power. A 50-50 vote just loses.

nah, lack of constitutional authority doesn't rule it out. Chase did it in the Johnson impeachment, it's a famous precedent. If the Senate doesn't like whatever he does they can overrule him by majority.

It's just that nothing requires him to cast that vote. He could refuse to instead, which effectively results in the 50-50 motion dying due to procedure.

PepsiOverCoke
Dec 2, 2019

by Reene
I dont understand how any rational person can vote no on witnesses and think thats justice. Even if your mind is made up, you're just ignoring existing evidence blatantly. I dont get how thinking people think this is ok.

It also super pisses me off that the Mueller Report is enough to impeach as well, but folks just forget about that.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

PepsiOverCoke posted:

I dont understand how any rational person can vote no on witnesses and think thats justice. Even if your mind is made up, you're just ignoring existing evidence blatantly. I dont get how thinking people think this is ok.

It also super pisses me off that the Mueller Report is enough to impeach as well, but folks just forget about that.

They don't, which is why forcing them to vote it down is going to play very, very poorly for them in their re-election campaigns

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
So does Susan Collins think her "well at least I tried" Gambit is gonna work?

Also, why didn't murkowski just get it over with at the same time as Alexander? Is she playing up the "I internally struggled with it for a long time" schtick?

I loving hate these people

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

PepsiOverCoke posted:

Oh they know. They don’t care.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Lord Krangdar posted:

Wins how? If its effectively legal for a Republican President to do anything without consequences or oversight, why would they not take every possible unethical course of action to rig the next election?

Yup. This is the point I've been trying to drive home since the Mueller stuff. They're absolutely going to go in a thousand times harder against Bernie.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Epicurius posted:

During Impeachment, Roberts does have the ability to break ties, but it will make him squirm to do so. The Vice President is removed from that responsibility.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Lemming posted:

They don't, which is why forcing them to vote it down is going to play very, very poorly for them in their re-election campaigns
The collective goldfish memory of the American electorate combined with the temporal distortion created by the insane frequency of crimes and generally hosed up poo poo the administration does makes me think people will barely remember this come November.

Of course, the onus is on the Democratic Party to both make sure they don't and nominate someone who can actually beat that fat gently caress.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

oxsnard posted:

So does Susan Collins think her "well at least I tried" Gambit is gonna work?

Also, why didn't murkowski just get it over with at the same time as Alexander? Is she playing up the "I internally struggled with it for a long time" schtick?

I loving hate these people

she might be legit figuring out what she wants to do but Same.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
The thing that's the most hosed up about Lamar Alexander is he's not even running for reelection. He doesn't even have the fig leaf of being afraid of primary voters to hide behind, he's just a pure "executive beyond the reach of the Senate" coward. I really don't get it. Why even be a Senator if all you want to do is cede power to someone else?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

PepsiOverCoke posted:

A "...rational person...." is not an elected person.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Abner Assington posted:

The collective goldfish memory of the American electorate combined with the temporal distortion created by the insane frequency of crimes and generally hosed up poo poo the administration does makes me think people will barely remember this come November.

Of course, the onus is on the Democratic Party to both make sure they don't and nominate someone who can actually beat that fat gently caress.

That works for Trump, I don't think it's going to work for Senators. It didn't work for them in the House, and I don't see any reason why this particularly effective one won't work there too. It's going to be a sledgehammer against any of the Senators who are in states that aren't already completely hosed for Trump

Edit: to be clear, the impact of impeachment was never going to be on Trump specifically, it was to cement every single GOP gently caress as being his personal toad

PepsiOverCoke
Dec 2, 2019

by Reene

Lemming posted:

Lmao no it wont. Republican voters are loving idiots and will turn out no matter what. They have the memory of a goddam goldfish.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Djarum posted:

They'd definitely vote to impeach him, though, and it's clear that they don't give a poo poo about consistency between impeachments.

I'd welcome God Emperor Sanders, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
I guess they have Lamar Alexander's vote for censure. I imagine they'd get the other three wafflers too, plus Manchin and Sinema. I hope Warren, Klob and Sanders band together to propose a censure vote immediately after acquittal.

Censure matters. It makes it way tougher to run ads this fall calling impeachment (and Muller) a sham. It makes it way easier to point to all Rs that claimed "perfect call" as unfit.