Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
My dad's got his defense mechanisms built already. They're beautifully galaxy brained.

The EU wants us to fail so badly they'll start propagandizing every minor issue the UK faces, blowing it out of proportion or even lying to try and break our morale and hold the EU together. As a result Europeans will be whipped into a frenzy where they start discriminating against UK expats, but also stop using our business.

Basically he's mentally prepared himself to defend against the absolute catastrophe this will be, and even has a "but whatabout..." stored ready if there's any increase in racial hatred here.

E: cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
So long and thanks for all the fish.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Got to go to a party tonight. Thankfully, not a 'WOO gently caress THE FORRINS' party, as most of my friends are too clever for that crap, but I have no doubt we will be ushered outside to watch fireworks or what have you. Going to get a taxi home though, to avoid exultant roaming gangs of racists and homophobes.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Azza Bamboo posted:

TODAY'S THE BIG DAY :brexit: YEAH WOOOO

USHERING IN THE DAWN OF

a year long transitional period in which negotiations with the European Union take place about the future of our relationship.

AT LONG LAST.

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1223178962211418113?s=19

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

If only we had brexited sooner this perfidious foreign virus wouldn’t have plagued our shores

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Hey Miftan they found the solution to your trolley thing!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Coronavirus confirmed in the Uk and Brexit day all at once! My cup runneth over.

Serious talk tho you don't need to worry about the Coronavirus just yet, I can do a more in depth effortpost thing if there is the desire but the UK has a robust infection control capability and its ready and prepared for an event like this.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Saros posted:

Coronavirus confirmed in the Uk and Brexit day all at once! My cup runneth over.

Serious talk tho you don't need to worry about the Coronavirus just yet, I can do a more in depth effortpost thing if there is the desire but the UK has a robust infection control capability and its ready and prepared for an event like this.

It's survived the last decade reasonably intact, then?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Gonna have to start washing my hands again.

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Last day of meat today, vegetarian from tomorrow.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Guavanaut posted:

Hey Miftan they found the solution to your trolley thing!

This isn't news, everyone would go back in time to kill Hitler on the off chance that ww2 and the holocaust don't happen.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If WW2 and the Holocaust didn't happen, would we still have 1930s levels of human rights, racism, and antisemitism? Would the civil rights movement have ever happened without thousands of African American troops being sent overseas to fight fascism and racial supremacy and then returning home to segregated housing? Would Britain have built the NHS and nationalized the mines without the Cairo Forces Parliament?

Besides, everyone knows that the best way to prevent Hitler and WW2 is to prevent WW1, but where would that leave us?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Was a little confused this morning because I woke up half way through an interview on Today where Nick Robinson was going in two-footed on someone about the people being evacuated from China and quarantined in case they have coronavirus, seemingly furious both that they might be locked in and prevented from leaving the building they were going to be kept quarantined in but also at the fact that they might not be locked in and might infect people in the hospital next to the building, quoting Jeremy "rhyming slang" Hunt to support both viewpoints.

I wasn't sure why he was giving the full Chris Morris jam-making festival treatment to someone apparently without the actual power to do anything about his (completely contradictory) "concerns", but then she mentioned "my constituents" so I looked up where the quarantine is happening, and guess what:

It really is loving pathological with them, isn't it?

Are there people actually expressing NIMBYism over which hospital to send people to?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

If WW2 and the Holocaust didn't happen, would we still have 1930s levels of human rights, racism, and antisemitism? Would the civil rights movement have ever happened without thousands of African American troops being sent overseas to fight fascism and racial supremacy and then returning home to segregated housing? Would Britain have built the NHS and nationalized the mines without the Cairo Forces Parliament?

Besides, everyone knows that the best way to prevent Hitler and WW2 is to prevent WW1, but where would that leave us?

I'm reminded of Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, which presents the idea that the nineteenth century was sufficiently horrific that we needed the twentieth century to kill it off.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Id hate to be a GP in the UK right now with every hypochondriac who has seen a chinese person in the last 6 months charging towards the nearest surgery or even A&E

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

You're moving the discussion forward, but I can give you a ton of examples for ethics being about economies of scale. Anyway ethics are a category error and no true objective morality exists (and even if it does we can't perceive it) so :shrug:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

If WW2 and the Holocaust didn't happen, would we still have 1930s levels of human rights, racism, and antisemitism?

Yes, but nobody would care because we wouldn't have seen the endpoint of such thinking. There would also be a lot less Arabic terrorism because Israel wouldn't exist, and the Jewish Board of Deputies wouldn't be making GBS threads on everything because their power comes from using the Holocaust as a shield against all criticism.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm reminded of Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, which presents the idea that the nineteenth century was sufficiently horrific that we needed the twentieth century to kill it off.
I don't believe in the whig historiography of perpetual progress, but most historical progress seems to come in the pseudo-Hegelian form of "humanity does some awful poo poo, then people look at it and say, that poo poo was awful".

Everyone likes the easy morality of "I would use the magic machine to prevent the bad thing" but then that's entirely a reaction, and acts without knowing what would replace it. You stopped the Holocaust, but without changing the material conditions that led to it, now you've got Hitler 2, the guy that also hates Spaniards this time.

That's an interesting point with the 19th century though. To prevent WW2 you need to prevent the mechanized horror of WW1, and to prevent that you need to prevent industrialization and colonialism. So what do you do? Go back in time and kill Michael Faraday and James Watt? (Also does this lead to the obvious paradox where time machines never get invented?)

Miftan posted:

You're moving the discussion forward, but I can give you a ton of examples for ethics being about economies of scale. Anyway ethics are a category error and no true objective morality exists (and even if it does we can't perceive it) so :shrug:
Mostly I just want multiple livers.

Jedit posted:

Yes, but nobody would care because we wouldn't have seen the endpoint of such thinking. There would also be a lot less Arabic terrorism because Israel wouldn't exist, and the Jewish Board of Deputies wouldn't be making GBS threads on everything because their power comes from using the Holocaust as a shield against all criticism.
A UK that never joined Europe, never needed immigration from the Commonwealth to rebuild, and you can casually make all the antisemitic jokes you want and nobody cares is what the Brexit Party voted for.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Pretty sure you can already drink like a middle aged British man by virtue of being one.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Ms Adequate posted:

The difference between the UK and the US, in terms of just how people are, the atmosphere, the general attitude of people to each other, is drastic. Being in America is hardly some kind of panacaea for all my ills but it was certainly easier to face said ills over there, because folks are just... they're friendly, you know? One time I was in a Gamestop and mentioned something about City of Heroes and someone overheard and just started talking to me and we had a whole conversation about it? In the UK that kind of behavior gets you sectioned, lol.

I get that I'm part of the problem because I am an unapproachably grumpy looking bitch and all, but I actually have the excuse of sadbrains etc., this country's just dour and cynical and hateful. And of course it feeds itself, I look grumpy and unapproachable because the idea of interacting with the fuckers around me is hateful, because they're all grumpy bastards, so they feel that way about me, etc. etc..

I think the theory of positive and negative politeness is kind of cool as a partial explanation for this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politeness_theory

The theory is that in really densely populated countries like the UK and Japan where privacy and peace and quiet are at a premium the way to be polite to people is to leave them alone. Avoid eye contact, don't bother people, don't be loud, etc.

In big countries like America where you're more likely to be stuck on your own staring across the vast empty plain there's much more of an impulse to be like "howdy neighbour!!!" when you finally see another human being.

I mean I think British people are dour and downtrodden for all kinds of other depressing political reasons, but it's still an interesting theory.

quote:

“I do not have a clear understanding as to why you behaved in this way and for such a long period. You have no previous convictions. You are intelligent and have academic qualifications,” [the judge] said.

how could someone with academic qualifications do this :(

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

It's survived the last decade reasonably intact, then?

Short version yes, maintaining the capability to contain an outbreak is relatively cheap compared to most health operations as long as your public health system is fundamentally capable. It also helps that thanks to historical factors the UK has some of the best infectious disease institutions in the world.

Longer version the cuts to the NHS combined with it being peak winter flu season mean that ability to treat a serious pandemic is seriously compromised due to a shortage of hospital space and staff but it has to break containment in the UK first.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Miftan posted:

Pretty sure you can already drink like a middle aged British man by virtue of being one.

Can you drink like a thing if you are the thing? If someone says I'm like a shitposter that contradicts me being a shitposter.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Coronavirus people are in Newcastle lol

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

I mean you had to expect it at this point didn't you

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

A UK that never joined Europe, never needed immigration from the Commonwealth to rebuild, and you can casually make all the antisemitic jokes you want and nobody cares is what the Brexit Party voted for.

No, the Brexit Party voted for the world where Hitler won World War 2 with the aid of Oswald Mosley.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Can you drink like a thing if you are the thing? If someone says I'm like a shitposter that contradicts me being a shitposter.

If like means being similar to, then all things are at least similar to themselves. Unless your definition of 'like' includes "but isn't a perfect replica" which is possible but unnecessary imo. It's not something I'd come to naturally, in any case.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jose posted:

Coronavirus people are in Newcastle lol

Can't wait for "Jose liveposting through a quarantine".

Then after that you can get on with making the disasters you've missed happen. "Jose liveposting through a volcanic eruption"

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

^^^that's every morning on the toilet after a night out for Jose.

Saros posted:

Short version yes, maintaining the capability to contain an outbreak is relatively cheap compared to most health operations as long as your public health system is fundamentally capable. It also helps that thanks to historical factors the UK has some of the best infectious disease institutions in the world.

Longer version the cuts to the NHS combined with it being peak winter flu season mean that ability to treat a serious pandemic is seriously compromised due to a shortage of hospital space and staff but it has to break containment in the UK first.

Good news is that flu peaked in November this season and we're in the downswing now so that focus can be used against coronavirus if needed.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

Plato defines the Briton as a middle aged drunk man. Diogenes goes out and finds the first middle aged drunk man and says "behold, a Briton!"

Diogenes is correct. The tourist vomits on the floor while shouting "speak english you cunts".

Jedit posted:

No, the Brexit Party voted for the world where Hitler won World War 2 with the aid of Oswald Mosley.
Mosley was a pan-Europeanist though. They're more on the side of pants-pissing Enoch Powell.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Mosley was a pan-Europeanist though. They're more on the side of pants-pissing Enoch Powell.

Their objection to Europe isn't that it exists, it's that we don't rule it. They'd be right down with a European Union if all the decisions were made in London by English people.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Trickjaw posted:

Going to get a taxi home though, to avoid exultant roaming gangs of racists and homophobes.

Oh, I hadn't thought of that. Maybe I'll stay in tonight then :smith:

E:

Chuff McNothing posted:

Last day of meat today, vegetarian from tomorrow.

Awesome! Welcome to the meat free gang :)

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jan 31, 2020

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Today I have been mostly gammon spotting.

https://goo.gl/maps/VacNJs6Cb7t3Qd949

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

So the two nCoV patients are apparently family members that were staying at the Staycity hotel in central Yorkshire. Contact tracing is ongoing and the indications are they caught it early enough to contain all contacts before they become infectious.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

I don't believe in the whig historiography of perpetual progress, but most historical progress seems to come in the pseudo-Hegelian form of "humanity does some awful poo poo, then people look at it and say, that poo poo was awful".

Everyone likes the easy morality of "I would use the magic machine to prevent the bad thing" but then that's entirely a reaction, and acts without knowing what would replace it. You stopped the Holocaust, but without changing the material conditions that led to it, now you've got Hitler 2, the guy that also hates Spaniards this time.

That's an interesting point with the 19th century though. To prevent WW2 you need to prevent the mechanized horror of WW1, and to prevent that you need to prevent industrialization and colonialism. So what do you do? Go back in time and kill Michael Faraday and James Watt? (Also does this lead to the obvious paradox where time machines never get invented?)

Yeah, A Machine for Pigs has an interesting take on this (if melodramatic Gothic horror is your jam). It operates on the philosophy of 'fascism is the death-scream of wounded privilege', and is based around a wealthy Victorian industrialist getting a precognitive vision of the world wars which he reacts to very, very poorly.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Guavanaut posted:

The UK is going to be a housing design innovator post-Brexit.

My worry is what happens when London landlords get their hands on the design.

Have we tried just not confiscating their tents?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Darth Walrus posted:

I have stood knee deep in mud and bone, and filled my lungs with mustard gas.

I have seen two brothers fall.

I have lain with holy wars and copulated with the autumnal fallout.

I have dug trenches for the refugees.

I have murdered dissidents where the ground never thaws, and starved the masses into faith.

A child's shadow burnt into the brickwork.

A house of skulls in the jungle.

The innocent! The innocent, Mandus!

Trod and bled and gassed and starved and beaten and murdered and enslaved!

This is your coming century!

They will eat them, Mandus!

They will make pigs of you all, and they will bury their snouts into your ribs, and they will eat your hearts!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

fuf posted:

I think the theory of positive and negative politeness is kind of cool as a partial explanation for this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politeness_theory

The theory is that in really densely populated countries like the UK and Japan where privacy and peace and quiet are at a premium the way to be polite to people is to leave them alone. Avoid eye contact, don't bother people, don't be loud, etc.

Yes, having lived in big cities, I can believe that. I know on the tube where you're crammed in like sardines, the only way you can get your vital 'personal space' which is being heavily incursioned into by the press of bodies is by staring at your book/phone or gazing up at the roof of the carriage. I was always grateful of being tall so at least I had empty space above me instead of an armpit.

quote:

In big countries like America where you're more likely to be stuck on your own staring across the vast empty plain there's much more of an impulse to be like "howdy neighbour!!!" when you finally see another human being.

I mean I think British people are dour and downtrodden for all kinds of other depressing political reasons, but it's still an interesting theory.

Living abroad, I did notice that for those of us British persons NOT living in the expat ghettos (which seemed to revolve entirely around Brit Clubs and discussions of how drunk you could get on cheap alcohol), any Brit spotting another Brit would be like a frightened rabbit and other than a brief acknowledging head nod would scarper quickly. Locals were always saying stuff like 'oh Jane Doe is British, I'm sure you'll really like each other' and trying to force friendships based on shared nationality. They couldn't understand why all British people didn't love and want to socialize with all other British people.

Americans on the other hand - I had this friend who if she heard an American accent anywhere within 100m would charge over to them, pin them to the ground almost and bend their ears forever with an extensive inquisition about who she was, where she was from, where were they from etc etc. Some of the other Americans weren't quite so bad, but they were mostly very nosy.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Can't wait for "Jose liveposting through a quarantine".

Then after that you can get on with making the disasters you've missed happen. "Jose liveposting through a volcanic eruption"

An answer to the age old question: How many events can happen while Jose posts goatse?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Guavanaut posted:

Isn't this also true for other countries with strong populist nationalistic movements? The continuous denial of complex social realities leading to dreaming to return to a past age when society was culturally and ethnically homogenous?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jedit posted:

At least I can proudly say that one of my nans broke off a 4 year engagement to a guy who joined the Black Shirts.
(Though she quite literally believed the propaganda that Germans had Square Heads. She came to visit us when we lived in Germany, she'd arrived in the night, and when she looked out of the window next morning was "oh they look just like us"!)