Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I have a constant low frequency buzz in my ears, nothing crazy like I would imagine serious tinnitus is. I assume that everyone in a job where there's loud noises gets this as a parting gift from service, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kick-Puncher
Jan 20, 2006

my kinda ape posted:

I think you know the answer.

When I went through master breecher the instructors told us the army has a pretty good idea of what happens when you are around large explosions but has no idea what the effects of many small explosions are. That was a few years ago, maybe they have done a study but

my kinda ape posted:

I think you know the answer.

subterfudge
Aug 5, 2015
I just googled it and found this article.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/04/05/522613294/do-u-s-troops-risk-brain-injury-when-they-fire-heavy-weapons

Army was researching it and then abruptly stopped researching it and told everyone to forget about it.

So it's probably about as safe as anything else you do in the military and the higher ups care the same amount as usual as well.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

aphid_licker posted:

So did they make sure during speccing / design that you're not getting a lil cumulative TBI every time you fire the thing or is it just lol yolo nobody has bothered to run the stats yet on what happes to CG instructors after retirement?
the answer to this is *always* “what does your heart tell you?”

if i were a betting man i’d say they figured out real quick out dangerous it was and carefully avoided testing for it.

subterfudge posted:

Army was researching it and then abruptly stopped researching it and told everyone to forget about it.
waddayaknow. see if you just stick your head in the sand as far it’ll go, surely you can’t be liable.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Dios fuckin mio

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
As seen on the new Netflix doc called Pandemic

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

bloops posted:

As seen on the new Netflix doc called Pandemic

FYI Netflix had a guy put this together with a detailed pitch, told him no thanks, didn't pay him, and then bam, they come out with his exact proposed idea.

https://mobile.twitter.com/dgisserious/status/1220165487407116295

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
https://twitter.com/AuroraIntel/status/1222998895531364352
[...]
https://twitter.com/AuroraIntel/status/1223008467465752581

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I've seen things you...Karens wouldn't believe...
...grown men in dress whites pissing themselves at Dining Outs and Hail and Farewells...glittering nails shimmering at Wives' Club meetings...

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I've seen things you...Karens wouldn't believe...
...grown men in dress whites pissing themselves at Dining Outs and Hail and Farewells...glittering nails shimmering at Wives' Club meetings...

Dinings Out

:smugbert:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

English language pedantry level: German :v:

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Look at this continental Francophile and laugh

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

hows the hre working out for ya

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

sergeants major

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Passers by

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Suck my dicks from the back

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Officers general?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Attorneys General
Courts martial

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://i.imgur.com/VL7X8xv.mp4

WWI style ear protection (it was apparently optional)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WHAT?!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
They were lucky if they had shoes for the duration.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Godholio posted:

They were lucky if they had shoes for the duration.

Unless you were an officer, in which case they drat well better be buffed to a mirror sheen, or your whipping boy is going over on the next whistle.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

When the Germans were using the Big Bertha Siege cannons (17 Inchers) they had to pack cotton into their ears, mouths and noses, move a football field away and fire the drat thing electronically because the overpressure would gently caress them up so bad.
I think regular field artillery gunners had it a little easier (unless they were getting counterbattery)

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

What's up with the guys in the trenches? Is it better tbi-wise to have a gun fired next to you or a shell burst some meters outside your trench?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

aphid_licker posted:

What's up with the guys in the trenches? Is it better tbi-wise to have a gun fired next to you or a shell burst some meters outside your trench?
The TBI doesn't matter because the PTSD will always be horrid in the trench

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Trench warfare must’ve had to be the most godawful thing to ever exist during WWI.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
It basically sounds like the closest thing to an actual hell that I could ever imagine

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The biggest gun in terms of caliber I ever stood by was this cannon doing a quarter charge. Still felt like an ice pick in my eardrums if I didn't cover them at 100 feet. I feel bad for the guy firing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXIYWnqSyLY

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k86XhYS8GJI&t=130s

These guys were firing a 12 pounder Napoleon with full powder charges as an experiment to determine where the remains of canister shot would have ended up so that historians could try to locate them using known artillery emplacements on Civil War battlefields, and vice versa.

A full charge for a 12 pounder Napoleon was an entire pound of black powder.

Edit: Go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k86XhYS8GJI&t=244s for an amazing sound

McNally fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 4, 2020

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

Re: WW1 trench warfare/ artillery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we72zI7iOjk

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

And the truly scary part: People survived this....

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

In a modern war would we use trench warfare? Because if so the 4K war GoPro footage is going to be something.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Uh well this only took a few seconds to find on YouTube and I watched it, it’s absolutely horrifying. And I’m sure it’s completely tame by comparison to what happens when things actually heat up.

https://youtu.be/DAo7go-4l0g

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Pew pew pew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUvcdKGD-FM

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Blind Rasputin posted:

Trench warfare must’ve had to be the most godawful thing to ever exist during WWI.

The one saving grace is that there was comparitively little actual fighting between trenches in WWI - you would have to be quite unlucky to actual be involved in a "going over the top" offensive as most of the time most sectors were pretty quiet.

Being involved in an actual offensive would have been pretty horrific on any side though, yeah. Plenty of Germans went insane prior to the Somme thanks to being stuck in chalk dugouts that were shelled non-stop for 2 weeks.

WWI fighting outside of the trenches (right at the start and right at the end) was no joke either - 329,000 Frenchmen were killed in the first month of the war, prior to both sides digging in.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

MikeCrotch posted:

The one saving grace is that there was comparitively little actual fighting between trenches in WWI - you would have to be quite unlucky to actual be involved in a "going over the top" offensive as most of the time most sectors were pretty quiet.

Being involved in an actual offensive would have been pretty horrific on any side though, yeah. Plenty of Germans went insane prior to the Somme thanks to being stuck in chalk dugouts that were shelled non-stop for 2 weeks.

WWI fighting outside of the trenches (right at the start and right at the end) was no joke either - 329,000 Frenchmen were killed in the first month of the war, prior to both sides digging in.

??

Verdun was doing like 70k casualties a month for almost a year and that started in Feb 1916 before the Somme.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Wasn't the bloodiest single day of WW1, worse than the first day of the Somme was in the frontier battles right at the begining.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Deptfordx posted:

Wasn't the bloodiest single day of WW1, worse than the first day of the Somme was in the frontier battles right at the begining.

Battle of the Frontiers yeah, next was the first day of the Somme iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

MikeCrotch posted:

Yeah I remember reading The Guns of August, and it described how at the beginning of the war the French military was still hung up on the old as heck tactics of marching toward the enemy in straight lines while wearing red pants. The Germans, on the other hand, said gently caress that to all those old gentlemen agreements and began the war decked out in drab scrubs and employing gorilla warfare like tactics. They just eviscerated the French armies in the most lopsided unfair battles. Not even playing the same sport.