Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Mekchu posted:

This is just a precaution. There are like 5 ppl in the whole countey atm reported to have it. 1 is the only real true case of it as the others are under observation for symptoms.

Korea has an NHS meaning I'm fully covered. Sick days are a bit of a rough thing since private academies (like the one I work for) aren't hugely happy to let you miss days as the word can reach parents and then they conplain or pull kids etc (my shool is usually OK with us taking days off so long as we show a doctor's report). There's a lot of overreacting when it comes to Korea and medical stuff. A kid I know got a literal papercut on her hand and the parents had her wear basically workmans gloves til it healed.

My dad is a retired Epidemiologist and he's not freaking out right now so I'm not overly worried about it. Just remember that Wuhan Virus Ain't Nottin' To gently caress Wit.

Edit - Also hopefully this doesnt mean my tournament in Japan this weekend has been canceled as well.

yep if it's not cancelled i say go for it bro. good luck.

Jeremor posted:

Should I even be thinking about joining a tournament as a 1 stripe white belt? There's a New Breed tournament in my city later this year and I'm kind of thinking about joining, for the extra practice if nothing else. I know I don't have a prayer of winning anything.

do it. you will learn so much about yourself and your game (what there is of it atm). it's pretty close to unique and valuable insight into you jiujitsu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Marcelo giving a butterfly guard clinic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WG1MYvgXAM

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Jeremor posted:

Should I even be thinking about joining a tournament as a 1 stripe white belt? There's a New Breed tournament in my city later this year and I'm kind of thinking about joining, for the extra practice if nothing else. I know I don't have a prayer of winning anything.

The thing people don't realize is that training only kinda prepares you for competing. The actual experience of strepping on the mats when the pressure's on is totally different from rolling. You get good at competing by competing.

Do it. I promise you, you'll learn from the experience.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Count Roland posted:

You get good at competing by competing.

sorry to ride over the top of you but i've had a few fights and i found it to be similar to bjj comps so i'd like to add that you get good at bjj by competing. it's a completely new level of intensity, you're in a completely new level of nerves, you have no idea who that weird looking guy is, what his game is or how you are going to possibly work your game.

try, i know it's hard with adrenaline, but try to make a note of any significant parts of the fights you have like 'i just could not get out of his side control' or 'i had a triangle locked and just could not finish' or 'when his balls were in my face and he had control of my lapel and right leg and then something happened and i lost, see if anyone knows'. also, the poo poo that worked really well for you that you want to improve or work into your game.

oh and one last thing, if you can, get someone to tape you.

you don't have to show us, but watch it for yourself and prepare to be horrified. my first boxing fight, i felt like rocky, and i fought and won and felt like rocky. then i watched the tape expecting the performance of a young canelo and looked like scarface from streetbeefs if he was barred out of his mind. poo poo was embarrassing, but it was SO important to the inspire me to improve the things that i was incredibly lacking in.

but if you don't do any of that, just have fun. you will get something out of it.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

Marcelo giving a butterfly guard clinic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WG1MYvgXAM

Now theres a system that I definitely will be buying on BJJ Fanatics.

Thanks Jay!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Now theres a system that I definitely will be buying on BJJ Fanatics.

Thanks Jay!

i'd just like to say to jay, mechafunkzilla, yuns, and all you guys that post videos you find are doing a valuable service even if i ain't quoting you and giving you a brief hand shandy as a comment. i watch them, pretend to fully understand them, and then forget absolutely everything about it in the free-roll time and either come back and watch it again to see what i was doing that was so wrong or get really indignant and insist the move doesn't work and is poo poo and that i should move on

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

and my greatest subs have come directly from this thread including this bizarre leg / hip lock i found in one of mech's crazy russian sambo teacher's seminars where you get to mount and they hook over one of your leg to start trying to regain half guard and then you essentially make the uke wish he or she or they were never born with legs and or hips.

Marching Powder fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 30, 2020

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Marching Powder posted:

i'd just like to say to jay, mechafunkzilla, yuns, and all you guys that post videos you find are doing a valuable service even if i ain't quoting you and giving you a brief hand shandy as a comment. i watch them, pretend to fully understand them, and then forget absolutely everything about it in the free-roll time and either come back and watch it again to see what i was doing that was so wrong or get really indignant and insist the move doesn't work and is poo poo and that i should move on

I had a tendency to do the same but I feel like lately I have a checklist of stuff, concepts and applications to try while sparring. Think about the position while rolling, and dont worry too much about F'ing it up. Its the lab, you're expected to fail.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I had a tendency to do the same but I feel like lately I have a checklist of stuff, concepts and applications to try while sparring. Think about the position while rolling, and dont worry too much about F'ing it up. Its the lab, you're expected to fail.

lol i was being hyperbolic man the guys teaching those things are the best in the world i don't think for a second those moves are useless and know i just have more to learn and perfect. and i am just intimately familiar with failure anyway so if i don't call it a learning process there's no other spin for being so terrible at something!

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Jeremor posted:

Absolutely, 1 or 2 stripes (you did say later this year!) is a great time for your first competition. Let your coach know you're considering it and they'll probably have better tips on how to prepare, but for starters, figure out an A-game sequence that'll take you from standing to a submission and then try to hit it every time you roll for a while. It might look something like this:
Ankle pick -> knee cut to side control --> step over to mount -> gift wrap back take -> bow and arrow
In competition, you want to be able to take the initiative and start imposing your game plan on the other guy the instant the ref says go. Will your plan go perfectly? Probably not, but that's why you spend time trying to hit that sequence in training so you have experience steering things back onto your preferred path. On a related note, be sure you have at least one and preferably two decent escapes from each inferior position.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

you don't have to show us, but watch it for yourself and prepare to be horrified. my first boxing fight, i felt like rocky, and i fought and won and felt like rocky. then i watched the tape expecting the performance of a young canelo and looked like scarface from streetbeefs if he was barred out of his mind.

i get to experience this multiple times a week when I, along with an uncomfortably large audience, watch myself flail around on the gym's instagram page

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yuns posted:

If you take yourself off the mat and come back after being healed up no one will ask for one. But if we catch you trying to come onto the mat with an infection, then a doctor's note isn't harsh at all. You've lost all trust.

Yeah that's much more reasonable than I had been reading it, which was as anyone who gets caught with a ring worm spot cannot return to training without the note.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Wangsbig posted:

i get to experience this multiple times a week when I, along with an uncomfortably large audience, watch myself flail around on the gym's instagram page

Me and one of my main training partners are taking turns posting instagram videos our embarrassing from the last comp with deeply self-deprecating commentary.

Guys grappling is hard I don't know if any of you have also noticed

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Marching Powder posted:

and my greatest subs have come directly from this thread including this bizarre leg / hip lock i found in one of mech's crazy russian sambo teacher's seminars where you get to mount and they hook over one of your leg to start trying to regain half guard and then you essentially make the uke wish he or she or they were never born with legs and or hips.

hell yeah

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

butros posted:

Guys grappling is hard I don't know if any of you have also noticed

Nah not me, that's why I look awesome in my comp footage.

Jeremor do the comp and tape it and if you eat poo poo just share it anyway for our amusement because it's 2020 and nothing matters

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Marching Powder posted:

lol i was being hyperbolic man the guys teaching those things are the best in the world i don't think for a second those moves are useless and know i just have more to learn and perfect. and i am just intimately familiar with failure anyway so if i don't call it a learning process there's no other spin for being so terrible at something!

haha ok gotcha...I fail at most of the things that people teach me. I still cant believe I have not hit an armbar from guard in sparring. Its like one of the first things you learn as a whitebelt, I can drill it to perfection, but live rolling, its absolute poo poo. So yeah I am intimately familiar with failure as well!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Armbar from guard is actually fairly difficult when it's not 1993 and we know such things are possible. I wouldn't feel bad not hitting it in live rolling

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I’m way too embarrassed to watch any of my early comp videos again, literally any and all technique went out the window. I need to compete again just to see where I’m at now

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Xguard86 posted:

Armbar from guard is actually fairly difficult when it's not 1993 and we know such things are possible. I wouldn't feel bad not hitting it in live rolling

Ok this makes me feel better.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Dave Grool posted:

I’m way too embarrassed to watch any of my early comp videos again, literally any and all technique went out the window. I need to compete again just to see where I’m at now

I mean I've been doing this for a long time and competed a fair amount and at my last sub only tournament I sat in a guy's guard for literally 20 minutes because I was tired and was afraid I'd get swept if I tried to pass. Competing is hard!!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm just starting to be able to reliably hit different versions of the armbar from the guard on white belts or less technical/fresher blue belts, now that I'm 2.5 years into my blue. It's a mix of low-posture high control ones, or this variation, primarily on big dudes, where I do a rapid shoulder stand and triangle my legs all the way around the humerus of the near arm as someone stands up.

But there has to be a pretty substantial differential between me and my opponent in both experience and some physical attribute (usually speed) for it to happen.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
My very first white belt competition match is on YouTube. I'll try to find it so you can hear my opponent's girlfriend scream "Kick his rear end Frankie!!!!!" for 5 straight minutes.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Enjoy watching me break my ankle horribly in my first ever sambo match

(probably want to mute it also)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdz69IBFvrY

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 31, 2020

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Here's my first match as a white belt if we're sharing that stuff. I'm the gringo in the blue gi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdiR6s-Cm-w

This was five years ago... I'm only kind of recently feeling like I've gotten any better than this. I lose back control twice, get my guard passed twice, get by back nearly taken twice.... and still win lmao.

lol just watched this again. My coach yelling "SITCH OUTCH!" and I remember to do a sit out and that's why I win. Having my team screaming for my win was a really cool feeling. Losing badly the next match and every other match I've ever done is a pretty crap feeling though.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 31, 2020

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Enjoy watching me break my ankle horribly in my first ever sambo match

(probably want to mute it also)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdz69IBFvrY

jesus h christ that looked terrible.

my white belt tournament career peaked at guard jump to toes guard

https://j.gifs.com/ROnQRR.gif

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here is my first ever BJJ match from 10yrs ago where I was down on points, came back and took it to overtime then got an RNC on the guy because he had mentally broken (I think).

https://youtu.be/hN4_BFZDBIE

Also I think I have a p sweet vacation figured out. End of September there is a 5 day holiday for Korean Thanksgiving (Chuseok) which means my gym will be closed for 3 of the days. I was looking at AKA Thailand in Phuket and their rates for a week is p decent and do a BJJ class. Its $100 to do a week taining with 2 or 3 classes a day. Can easily do 3 days training in no gi with my off time just beach bumming it. It's really tempting.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Oooh I found my first actual medal win (bronze) and the sub ain't bad for a youngster with a lovely haircut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXwp-mITDsE

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

CommonShore posted:

I'm just starting to be able to reliably hit different versions of the armbar from the guard on white belts or less technical/fresher blue belts, now that I'm 2.5 years into my blue. It's a mix of low-posture high control ones, or this variation, primarily on big dudes, where I do a rapid shoulder stand and triangle my legs all the way around the humerus of the near arm as someone stands up.

But there has to be a pretty substantial differential between me and my opponent in both experience and some physical attribute (usually speed) for it to happen.

speaking just out of curiosity, are there any high level grapplers playing closed / open guard as their primary game in 2020?

have there been any lethal closed guard armbar guys in the last decade?

bit of an aside here but the guy with the best full guard game i've seen from the bottom is gordon ryan. not because he does anything in guard other than immediately, regardless of his opponent's intent, do the exact next move in setting up whatever it is he's about to do. i honestly do not remember gordon ryan look uncomfortable since just a bit before he did just, all of the steroids

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Oooh I found my first actual medal win (bronze) and the sub ain't bad for a youngster with a lovely haircut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXwp-mITDsE

ah. the mclovin. i had that in the never's. slick loving sub though dude the poor guy looks like he wasn't expecting to be entering pain town from that direction

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

It's kind of funny how little my game has changed in 10 years or whatever. Defensive wrestling to force a bad shot, front headlock, anticipate a sitout or escape to move to a control position, then do an unorthodox bullshit sub that BJJ guys don't see too often. Works every time!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Hellblazer187 posted:

Here's my first match as a white belt if we're sharing that stuff. I'm the gringo in the blue gi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdiR6s-Cm-w

This was five years ago... I'm only kind of recently feeling like I've gotten any better than this. I lose back control twice, get my guard passed twice, get by back nearly taken twice.... and still win lmao.

lol just watched this again. My coach yelling "SITCH OUTCH!" and I remember to do a sit out and that's why I win. Having my team screaming for my win was a really cool feeling. Losing badly the next match and every other match I've ever done is a pretty crap feeling though.

that was actually a really loving entertaining and extremely white belt fight.

*switches video on* lol i wonder if he's the goon or the swarthy black dude. definitely the goon. no way he's the black guy. for real? ah, no, definitely the goon. IT WAS THE BLACK GUY?! i mean, of course people of colour use these forums too. oh he was definitely the goon.

kidding man you're doing a sport you couldn't ever be mistaken for a goon.

or that's what fatherdog thought when he decided to announce his promotion to black belt directly after announcing frankie edgar's graduation to black belt (they both trained with almeida) by saying something obscure like 'frankie edgar got promoted to black belt today along with much less illustrious company and posting two photos of frankie and, we have to assume, fatherdog, getting their black belts.

2 posts later, old.flv i think it was, apologise for any misattribution, quotes the post presumably without reading it and just exclaims 'whoa who's the loving goon?' and i don't think i've laughed that hard since

e: lol found the link to the fd promotion post which is still up in all it's glory. apparently i haven't laughed that hard since.... 2013 :( https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3386441&pagenumber=111&perpage=40#post422936203

Marching Powder fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 31, 2020

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

at the end when he jumped up to get the hooks in I was hoping for a canadian destroyer

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

One of the junior Gracies came to my class today. That was a bit wild. We rolled and he tapped me two or three times EZ.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Any half guard players got an a / b they'd like to share? I've been having some great success with knee shield half guard really keeping them off balance with the pull push but my a / b is weak I think. Go to is coyote-underhook/base up and sit up sweep if I can get a hold of their free leg to collapse them in. Otherwise I'm trying to off balance them and grab kimura control on the opposite arm to my knee shield and roll out to either take the back or end up in kimura control.

Finding it difficult sometimes to get either of these going and end up just getting stalled or waiting for my opportunity to close the guard fully but it's not feeling that good.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I find that you need an excuse to go for that kimura. It pairs nicely with some kind of attack on the far leg (either some kind of tipping sweep like the electric chair, or some kind of kneebar/heelhook entry) and you can alternate between far leg and far arm attacks, as they defend your leg attack they'll give you the arm, as they posture out of the kimura they'll give you the leg, etc. Occasionally people will just give you a nice bent arm while trying to pass, but I don't like diving for it.

As for the coyote stuff, it should be a triumvirate where you alternate between the tackle/single leg, the roll-under sweep, and the backtake. It should be pretty unstoppable once you've got the leg torque right. There are lots of resources on this combination: lucas leite dvds, lachlan giles dvds, danaher's half guard dvd.

I find the low craig jones style z-guard knee shield is better for far-side attacks, and the higher lachlan giles style knee shield is better for near-side attacks.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

at the end when he jumped up to get the hooks in I was hoping for a canadian destroyer

I'm waiting for the Petey Williams set on bjj fanatics before I incorporate that

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Re half guard chat: things I do: old school, back take, roll under, go to dog fight, go to deep half.

edit: Is coyote dogfight?

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 31, 2020

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Marching Powder posted:

speaking just out of curiosity, are there any high level grapplers playing closed / open guard as their primary game in 2020?

have there been any lethal closed guard armbar guys in the last decade?

Didn't Xande tear through the ADCC trials or something this last year with multiple no-gi closed guard armbars? Roger Gracie is also known for his closed guard & armbars. Both are strong contenders for All Time Greats.

I like the closed guard and hit the armbar all the time when people try to stand up without controlling my hips.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

flashman posted:

Any half guard players got an a / b they'd like to share? I've been having some great success with knee shield half guard really keeping them off balance with the pull push but my a / b is weak I think. Go to is coyote-underhook/base up and sit up sweep if I can get a hold of their free leg to collapse them in. Otherwise I'm trying to off balance them and grab kimura control on the opposite arm to my knee shield and roll out to either take the back or end up in kimura control.

Finding it difficult sometimes to get either of these going and end up just getting stalled or waiting for my opportunity to close the guard fully but it's not feeling that good.

Underhook is preferable but if I can't get it, the a / b is close arm john wayne or far arm kimura until they get annoyed and try to hide both arms with reverse half guard and then you a / b /c them with octopus half guard, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muZ5rOFGYIs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Ive been avoiding the underhook because everyone's horny for darce at my club, but maybe that's an execution problem on my end. I liked the octopus stuff though thanks for the link. Gonna dig a bit deeper into the suggestions above too and study the position a bit deeper I think.