Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

My baratza encore is running strong under nearly a decade of daily use.

e* got it 7 years ago. It has served 2-4 people daily for the entire time. If it died, I'd buy it again same day.

Nephzinho has a new favorite as of 19:39 on Jan 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Nephzinho posted:

My baratza encore is running strong under nearly a decade of daily use.

Seconded. I know two other people who use this model and they will never buy another. We even ended up getting one for our business.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone have a recommendation for an electric kettle with variable temperature? I'm making more coffee and I'm scorching the grounds too much. Needs to be available in the UK.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

EdBlackadder posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for an electric kettle with variable temperature? I'm making more coffee and I'm scorching the grounds too much. Needs to be available in the UK.

I tried a few different ones and none were very accurate/reliable at all. Maybe it was just cheap rear end ones that I was buying or lovely brands. What I settled on was a cheap no-name electric kettle that heats up very fast + a cheap instant read thermometer. Fill the kettle up about 75% with water and heat it up, stick instant read thermometer into it and get a second cup of room temp/cool water on the side and just simply add enough to get to your desired temp very quickly. Can also use ice cubes but that seemed harder to gauge in my experience and often shot past the temperature I was aiming for.

After a few tries you get the ratios down and it's really fast/easy.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

EdBlackadder posted:

I like the Cuisinart CPK-17, seems to be available on Amazon UK. It's funny that the American got it for making tea, while the Brit is looking for one for making coffee.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Back in the seventies when I was a kid my parents made me grind their coffee and brew it. I was well trained. I hated that fuckin grinder because I was a tiny shrimp and it was a bitch to turn the handle smoothly, and the stupid little tray would sometimes fall out (there was nothing holding it in) and the grounds would go everywhere.

This is probably why I did not become a coffee drinker.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Trabant posted:

I like the Cuisinart CPK-17, seems to be available on Amazon UK. It's funny that the American got it for making tea, while the Brit is looking for one for making coffee.

My tea drinking doesn't really need temperature control, barring the occasional diversion into something more delicate my tea making process is usually
1) Put tea and water off the boil in the pot
2) Intend to leave for 5 minutes to properly mash
3) 20 minutes later remember I'm thirsty, remember I'm making a cup of tea, shout 'gently caress' and pour tea.
4) Drink warm, stewed tea

This leaves me with a taste for very strong black tea but as long as I have the tea bags I like its a very forgiving process!

Honestly coffee I generally just drink to treat my mild-moderate caffeine addiction (I have 2-4 cups of lovely instant at work 3 days a week) but I'm trying to enjoy better. Thanks for the recommendation, its a bit more than I'm hoping to spend but its good to know its quality.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
Could I get a recommendation for Wireless over-ear headphones with noise cancelling?

I like in-ear headphones, but I have a tendency to lose them. I've realized I need something clunky and harder to lose. Ideally, something with a nice travel case I can bring with me on a plane, since I fly around a lot for work.

I looked at Wirecutter, and they recommend a Jabra set, which I'm a little skeptical of. I bought a pair of their in-ear type (Elite 75t's) back when I was still trying to do the little in-ear ones, and honestly they weren't great. I mean, the sound quality for music and podcasts was good...but phone integration was hilariously low-budget - the little integrated assistant was really low-quality audio and interrupted really abuptly when I got calls.

I took school for audio editing, and while I don't do it anymore, my tastes have been permanently affected by it. I prefer headphones with nice flat response-levels, and try to avoid bass-boosting or any EQ gimmicks most of the consumer-oriented headphones have. This has also steered me away from Bose a little bit (No highs, no lows, must be Bose) but I'd be willing to give them a try if I heard they were good.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

Could I get a recommendation for Wireless over-ear headphones with noise cancelling?

I like in-ear headphones, but I have a tendency to lose them. I've realized I need something clunky and harder to lose. Ideally, something with a nice travel case I can bring with me on a plane, since I fly around a lot for work.

I looked at Wirecutter, and they recommend a Jabra set, which I'm a little skeptical of. I bought a pair of their in-ear type (Elite 75t's) back when I was still trying to do the little in-ear ones, and honestly they weren't great. I mean, the sound quality for music and podcasts was good...but phone integration was hilariously low-budget - the little integrated assistant was really low-quality audio and interrupted really abuptly when I got calls.

I took school for audio editing, and while I don't do it anymore, my tastes have been permanently affected by it. I prefer headphones with nice flat response-levels, and try to avoid bass-boosting or any EQ gimmicks most of the consumer-oriented headphones have. This has also steered me away from Bose a little bit (No highs, no lows, must be Bose) but I'd be willing to give them a try if I heard they were good.

Sony WH-1000XM3 or Bose QC35s.

WH-1000XM3 sound the best, have meh touch controls and are less comfortable than the QC35s. But you could still wear them for long periods without issue. 30 hour battery life.
QC35s sound worse than the Sony's, good physical controls, and could be worn all day without issue. 20 hour battery life.

NC performance is identical and they both fold up for compact storage in included cases.

After that, from what I've read, it becomes a matter of trade offs.
Want even better sounding headphones? Sennheiser Momentums, but you give up NC quality.
What better NC? Bose 700s, but you give the ability to fold the headphones.
Want cheaper? Generally you give up sound quality, NC, or both.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I got a dang house and now I need an electric lawnmower that hopefully doesn't need to be plugged in the whole time.

The two yards aren't enormous so it doesn't need to me some monster of a machine.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Kill all the grass and put in a rock garden or native plants.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Beachcomber posted:

Kill all the grass and put in a rock garden or native plants.

Wild plants will take over a lot of it, actually. I just need something for the in-between times.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I bought an Ego (brand they sell at Home Depot) push mower in 2017, only complaint is the side discharge chute is poorly designed and clogs frequently if you're cutting over a half inch of grass, but I want to say they're now selling a traditional side discharging mower - mine uses a plastic duct that turns the clippings 90 degrees as they exit the same chute used for the rear bag.

Otherwise cuts about a third to half of my sub-acre lot on a single charge depending on length and time of the season, and the 4AH battery reaches a full charge in under an hour. The rest of their lineup is pretty great too.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

I bought a pair of Taotronics ANC Headphones for flying and I absolutely love them. I tried two different models, where one had a slightly worse electronic behavior but both worked quite well.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Use Notion, Evernote sucks now

So I gave Notion a serious look again, and ended up porting over to it and paying for it after being a free Evernote user basically since Evernote was a thing. Does a bunch of things well that Evernote doesn't and won't ever do, basically at the cost of choosing my font (and actually having to pay because the free space didn't take even half of my content).

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Inzombiac posted:

Daily boot. I sometimes work in industrial areas but they don't require steeltoe. I just live in Portland and it rains all the time.

I'd love to get a Red Wing set but there's no way I can afford it.

You can get Wolverine boots for 40% off if you're part of IMBA (Portland Chapter) through ExpertVoice, along with a bunch of other brands

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

Is there a particularly good air purifier? in the UK, if that changes things

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Looking for some decent white t-shirts/undershirts that are longer than usual.

I guess I have a long loving torso, or something, because anytime I wear a button-up shirt that's designed to be worn un-tucked, my undershirt ALWAYS pulls up out of my pants just from such strenuous and torso-stretching activities as...sitting and standing.

Even if I have a button-up that is meant to be tucked in, and I have it tucked, I can feel the t-shirt under it always come un-tucked underneath it and bunch up a bit.

I don't wear my pants too low or anything, either. It's definitely the weird, freakishly long chest and abdomen I posses.

Hell, I welcome suggestions for any t-shirt brands that make longer ones, since I have a similar problem if I'm just wearing jeans and a t-shirt where sitting, twisting, and raising my arms slightly makes it look like I have a belly shirt on.

If I buy a size larger, than it's way too loose and billow around the chest and stomach, since I'm not really fatter than a size L shirt, I'm just longer.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Looking for some decent white t-shirts/undershirts that are longer than usual.

I guess I have a long loving torso, or something, because anytime I wear a button-up shirt that's designed to be worn un-tucked, my undershirt ALWAYS pulls up out of my pants just from such strenuous and torso-stretching activities as...sitting and standing.

Even if I have a button-up that is meant to be tucked in, and I have it tucked, I can feel the t-shirt under it always come un-tucked underneath it and bunch up a bit.

I don't wear my pants too low or anything, either. It's definitely the weird, freakishly long chest and abdomen I posses.

Hell, I welcome suggestions for any t-shirt brands that make longer ones, since I have a similar problem if I'm just wearing jeans and a t-shirt where sitting, twisting, and raising my arms slightly makes it look like I have a belly shirt on.

If I buy a size larger, than it's way too loose and billow around the chest and stomach, since I'm not really fatter than a size L shirt, I'm just longer.

https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-...ngtail-t-shirts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZDbS39azbM

Also you can just buy "tall" t-shits: https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_category/polos_tees/tall-essential-crewneck-tshirt/L2428?sale=true&isFromSale=true&color_name=white

Cornuto has a new favorite as of 16:39 on Jan 31, 2020

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

I assumed Duluth would have some (I always see ads from them about having longer shirts, shirts with bigger expansion in the joints, etc...) but I'd prefer not to spend over $20 for 1 freakin' t-shirt. Maybe a solid color one that I would wear as a regular shirt, but not for white shirts who's sole purpose is to never be seen.

When I've bought undershirts at places like Target, Wal-mart, etc..., I look for "tall" versions but have come up short.

I have found that the Izod brand fits better than others I've tried, but i don't reliably find those.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Stop wearing undershirts, you look like a dork

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Is there a Motorbike thread? I couldn't find one and I'm in the market for some protective equipment with human proportions that don't assume I am a walking V.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
who the gently caress is scraeming "stop wearing undershirts" at my house. show yourself, coward. i will never stop wearing undershirts

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

Stop wearing undershirts, you look like a dork

If I was wearing them under t-shirts, or even polo/golf shirts I'd agree, but it's pretty much standard to wear them under button-up shirts?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

DrBouvenstein posted:

If I was wearing them under t-shirts, or even polo/golf shirts I'd agree, but it's pretty much standard to wear them under button-up shirts?

It's pretty much standard for dorks

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm a sweaty, overweight goon. If I don't wear undershirts when wearing formal shirts, I'll get nasty put/sweat stains. I'd rather look dorky than gross.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

DrBouvenstein posted:

TBH I'd just wear a button-up shirts that you can't see through. I'd recommend the Hyde Park from Land's End.
https://www.landsend.com/products/mens-supima-hyde-park-oxford-dress-shirt/id_10667?attributes=32671,44896,44967

quote:

Hyde Park is a faithful replica of those original turn-of-the-century Oxfords. Cut from a cloth 25% sturdier than most other Oxfords. Holds to a pressing with bulldog-like tenacity. Tailored with a keen eye toward quality. Details include smooth single-needle stitching, bowling-ball-tough buttons, and extra-long sleeve and front plackets. Plus a four-piece mitered yoke. Buttondown collar.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

PRADA SLUT posted:

It's pretty much standard for dorks

I’m guessing you live somewhere with 0 humidity or you just never have to go anywhere that isn’t air conditioned? Not wearing an undershirt while wearing a suit & tie in the south is a recipe for disaster.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
For work or formal events, I wear an undershirt. Any other time, you're just a loser. Embrace the chest hair.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

couldcareless posted:

For work or formal events, I wear an undershirt. Any other time, you're just a loser. Embrace the chest hair.

Do you wear button up shirts casually? You're the loser here

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

1redflag posted:

I’m guessing you live somewhere with 0 humidity or you just never have to go anywhere that isn’t air conditioned? Not wearing an undershirt while wearing a suit & tie in the south is a recipe for disaster.

Austin, TX here, wear a suit and tie on occasion, and I'm still with the No Undershirt Brigade. What's the scenario where you're wearing a suit and tie in the South and there's no AC? And if that's a common occurrence, make some changes to your life because gently caress that hell.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Slimy Hog posted:

Do you wear button up shirts casually? You're the loser here

I don't like most polos and I'm not a 12 year old so I don't wear t-shirts all the time.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Does anyone have experience with beanbag sofas? I'm looking at some on Wayfair and while most have glowing reviews, there are a couple of bad experiences that make me unsure. Also only one of the display photos shows two people 'comfortably' sitting in it. I already have some beanbag chairs but I want something friends can chill on when I have them over to watch movies, that I can pick up and throw on my bed or something to make space at other times.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I had one and it was great but LMMAAAOOO if you think you can move it later.

Once that thing is out of the vacuum pack, that's it.

I managed to barely get mine collapsed down but that was after getting a mattress cover, a shop vac and a lot of duct tape.

The one I had could comfortably for two people on in a cuddle position or three friends who are very comfortable with eachother.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

couldcareless posted:

I don't like most polos and I'm not a 12 year old so I don't wear t-shirts all the time.

Sorry man, I didn't realize that Tommy Bahama was back in style

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Inzombiac posted:

I had one and it was great but LMMAAAOOO if you think you can move it later.

Once that thing is out of the vacuum pack, that's it.

I managed to barely get mine collapsed down but that was after getting a mattress cover, a shop vac and a lot of duct tape.

The one I had could comfortably for two people on in a cuddle position or three friends who are very comfortable with eachother.

That's the balance I'm trying to strike. I already have a beanbag chair or two that I just throw on my bed if I need the space to lift weights or whatever. I don't need one I can move like, out the door, I just want to find one that's not so large I can't toss it on top of my (single) bed when I need the space. It's kind of hard to judge from a lot of these photos how big they actually are.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

They are also filled with memory foam scraps, not the styrofoam beads so it's much heavier.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

SEKCobra posted:

Is there a Motorbike thread? I couldn't find one and I'm in the market for some protective equipment with human proportions that don't assume I am a walking V.

There's an entire motorcycle subforum under Automotive Insanty,

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=236

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
Can anybody read this? This is green tea with a pleasant smoke aroma. It was given to me by somebody who traveled to China, but doesn't speak the language. I'd like to find it, or something similar so I can buy some more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Just shot in the dark based on smokey, it wasn't lapsang souchong was it?