Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Minor complaint about builders 2.

After finishing the first island and the run-up to the second island I'm finally given the chance to kinda faff about on my island and maybe start making some stuff. However I really want to do some terraforming and level out a large village as a central farm/town square sort of area, but I can't break some of the blocks until (presumably) l get an upgraded hammer or w/e. So while this is the first time I get the freedom to do what I want I don't really have the tools to actually do anything with it unless I want to leave most of the geography in it's uneven mish-mash shape.

Guess I'll just go to the next island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

RareAcumen posted:

Dq11s

If you go back in time using a church, can you play through the game and get more of the unique weapons like the Bad axe and stuff? I somehow managed to get two Deft Daggers so I'm wondering if it's possible to get more of the other ones.

I forget how but I've heard there's some way to cheese the game using swapping between 2d and 3d modes. Not that it's really necessary.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Kuros posted:

I forget how but I've heard there's some way to cheese the game using swapping between 2d and 3d modes. Not that it's really necessary.

iirc it involves swapping between the modes to restock chests with stat seeds in them

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

RareAcumen posted:

Dq11s

If you go back in time using a church, can you play through the game and get more of the unique weapons like the Bad axe and stuff? I somehow managed to get two Deft Daggers so I'm wondering if it's possible to get more of the other ones.
No. Those chests don't reopen.

The only way to duplicate those specific items is to have them in a party member's inventory when talking to Benedictus or whatever his name is right when he lets you out back of the town near Yggdrasil in act 1, which creates the save that is then used when you start Act 3 because yes, for some fuckin reason, that works even though they specifically coded just those chests to not restock when you go back in time/switch to 2d mode.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Jet Jaguar posted:

The villagers in DQ2 have some really weird ideas about food. In my game they run way far away to grab raw cabbage out of a chest, when there's a whole kitchen full of food like two doors down. It's very puzzling.
i think their preference levels are:

prepared food in dining sets
unprepared food
starve
food from a kitchen

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Agent355 posted:

Minor complaint about builders 2.

After finishing the first island and the run-up to the second island I'm finally given the chance to kinda faff about on my island and maybe start making some stuff. However I really want to do some terraforming and level out a large village as a central farm/town square sort of area, but I can't break some of the blocks until (presumably) l get an upgraded hammer or w/e. So while this is the first time I get the freedom to do what I want I don't really have the tools to actually do anything with it unless I want to leave most of the geography in it's uneven mish-mash shape.

Guess I'll just go to the next island.

That's correct, you need a better hammer which you learn to make in the second chapter.

Also, you won't really get to mess around in peace until you can make wards of erdrick.

It's not a well thought out system.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Kuros posted:

https://github.com/mcgrew/dwrandomizer

Near the bottom of this has instructions on how to run the randomizer.

Yes, it turns out that you have to go to the release page to get the executable.
Otherwise you have to download a linux crosscompiler and powershell into it from windows.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

So if I'm understanding right the only way to finish Tockington is to actually beat the game and then you unlock the actual post game?

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Len posted:

So if I'm understanding right the only way to finish Tockington is to actually beat the game and then you unlock the actual post game?

End game spoilers

You have to be Calasmos to unlock the final Tockington quests.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Kuros posted:

End game spoilers

So yes then? because what everyone calls post game isn't post game it's just more game.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
So i started a third file. Turned on all draconian options except harder monstets. Died to cruelcumbers because shypox.

:getin:

derra
Dec 29, 2012

BrightWing posted:

So i started a third file. Turned on all draconian options except harder monstets. Died to cruelcumbers because shypox.

:getin:

I have all of them on and just rushed the forge. Finishing up Act 1 now.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Update on the dragon warrior randomizer. The worst part of this is definitely that Dragon Quest didn’t have a step count check. It is difficult to describe how frustrating it is trying to explore and hitting four encounters in a row, half of which will murder you in one shot and half of which are trivial.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

DalaranJ posted:

Update on the dragon warrior randomizer. The worst part of this is definitely that Dragon Quest didn’t have a step count check. It is difficult to describe how frustrating it is trying to explore and hitting four encounters in a row, half of which will murder you in one shot and half of which are trivial.

From what I watched, that's part of the challenge. Oh it's a Red Slime... with Dragonlord breath. Yay.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Polished off the final stuff I wanted to do in DQ11 at around 120 hours. I was pretty conservative with forging and spending money so it was nice to be able to blow all of my cash and supplies at the end on endgame forging and pep pops instead of grinding.

I think I'm going to move onto DQ8 next and maybe grab a mobile one to kill time on my commute and lunches.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Len posted:

So yes then? because what everyone calls post game isn't post game it's just more game.
yeah, you need to beat the real, actual final boss to get an item for one of the Tickington quests. I think that's the only "real" postgame stuff

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

In builders it seems like if I use a crafting bench it has access to the items that are in a chest nearby in addittion to whatever is in my inventory. How is that determined? Is it based on rooms or distance or just any chest in your whole town?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Kuros posted:

From what I watched, that's part of the challenge. Oh it's a Red Slime... with Dragonlord breath. Yay.

Oh, no it's just the encounter rate that bothers me. The move changes are fine.

Although I did get slept for 6 rounds, which should be impossible because the random chance of it continuing is supposed to be 0 after five rounds?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

How do I cheese the secret Hama trial?

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

But trust me, I know that I'm the worst bastard here.

Len posted:

How do I cheese the secret Hama trial?

2x Catholicon Rings on physical fighters (+ a couple dieamends), 2x Elfin Charms on the mages works for all post-game fights!

I forget exactly my strategy but...

Rab, Serena, and Veronica on the first fight. Use the Pep Power Magic Burst, and then with Rab recover Veronica's MP for another Magic Burst. Restart if the enemies use Bounce at any time.

Fight 2 was the solo character one? I used Jade with her attack that has her counter physical attacks and Re-Vamp. Give her claws that heal her when she attacks (the best claws should do this). Her Spear + Multifeet might also work but the first strategy, while slow, worked well enough for me. Continue to just recast the counter and Re-Vamp attack while using Hardclaw.

For fight 3 I had Erik and Silvando. Erik powered up with Divide and then used double boomerangs with the multi-hit attack on the small fry, while Silvando buffs (get Oomphle before the first attack!) and healing, using his best attacks when it's just the one big boy monster left. Switch Erik to double knives/swords at that point.

Finally, the last battle is... tough. Can't say I used any specific strategy, I had Hero use multi-enemy attacks when she summoned enemies, and Hendrick use Unbridled Blade/Falcon Slash and focused on the boss. Don't be afraid to Omniheal basically every other turn. I got extremely lucky with this last one, as Hendrick died for me but Hero managed to finish it off; and I ended up just matching 50 turns (or 40 or whatever, I got all the rewards).

Also I did this with my party at level 99 :v:

Mogki
Aug 2, 2016
Very amused by Tockington at the moment.
I've been completing the Tockington quests as I get them (not counting the quests that can't be completed as soon as you get a pastword) so that they don't pile up for the postgame.
So, if you do this, the first book that you complete is DQ VII.
That's just really funny, I have to assume that was on purpose as an in-joke.

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

Kuros posted:

End game spoilers

More endgame spoilers:

The fact that you fight through several bullshit RNG-heavy superbosses only for the final one to go "oh ho, we were all merely testing you to see if you were prepared to fight the way, WAY easier Calasmos," when you literally can't even get to that gauntlet without having already defeated him at least once is kind of infuriating

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Going to the universe where this was a full length movie and not just a game commercial.

https://twitter.com/goegoezzz/status/1226267527119982592?s=09

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Vinchenz posted:

2x Catholicon Rings on physical fighters (+ a couple dieamends), 2x Elfin Charms on the mages works for all post-game fights!

I forget exactly my strategy but...

Rab, Serena, and Veronica on the first fight. Use the Pep Power Magic Burst, and then with Rab recover Veronica's MP for another Magic Burst. Restart if the enemies use Bounce at any time.

Fight 2 was the solo character one? I used Jade with her attack that has her counter physical attacks and Re-Vamp. Give her claws that heal her when she attacks (the best claws should do this). Her Spear + Multifeet might also work but the first strategy, while slow, worked well enough for me. Continue to just recast the counter and Re-Vamp attack while using Hardclaw.

For fight 3 I had Erik and Silvando. Erik powered up with Divide and then used double boomerangs with the multi-hit attack on the small fry, while Silvando buffs (get Oomphle before the first attack!) and healing, using his best attacks when it's just the one big boy monster left. Switch Erik to double knives/swords at that point.

Finally, the last battle is... tough. Can't say I used any specific strategy, I had Hero use multi-enemy attacks when she summoned enemies, and Hendrick use Unbridled Blade/Falcon Slash and focused on the boss. Don't be afraid to Omniheal basically every other turn. I got extremely lucky with this last one, as Hendrick died for me but Hero managed to finish it off; and I ended up just matching 50 turns (or 40 or whatever, I got all the rewards).

Also I did this with my party at level 99 :v:

Just did this on harder monsters. This is pretty much the strat I used. Just a couple of little things. Jade has a spear that heals her when she attacks. Heaven's Talon. I used that + multifeet. The counter physical ability is useful for killing the adds. But multifeet does so much more damage, I stopped casting the counter after the adds were dead. The final battle was the hardest part. I gave the wardrum and a ton of yggdrasil dew to Hendrick. I had him use the drum twice, then focus mostly on healing attacking only when it was safe. The hero just does so much more damage, I couldn't have him wasting turns on healing. I made it on 50 turns as well.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dragon Quest movie is on Netflix. Just watched it and really liked it.

The ending was loving nuts and blew me away

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Funny, pretty much every impression I've seen of the ending is that it ruins the whole movie. Glad to see there are folks out there who don't seem to mind.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Alxprit posted:

Funny, pretty much every impression I've seen of the ending is that it ruins the whole movie. Glad to see there are folks out there who don't seem to mind.

It definitely threw me for a loop, but I liked it.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

BisterdDave posted:

It definitely threw me for a loop, but I liked it.

Same here! It really felt like a love letter to the franchise and its fans. :unsmith:

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

So I finally finished DQXI S. I played on harder monsters and no exp from weak monsters and did almost everything there was to do. All the quests including the Tickington super bosses, the wheel of harma's secret trial, and the Timewurm. The only thing I didn't do was get all the accolades. My final time? :eyepop: 187 hours and 59 minutes. Harder monsters was actually not that bad, until I hit the last couple super bosses. They really kicked my rear end. The only way I was able to beat them was to grind up money for a bunch of pep pops and abuse the invincibility pep power.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
DQB2: "Malroth obtained a dose of medicinal herbs!"

:qq: my boy

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Shinjobi posted:

Never stop believing in your boy. He is the best boy.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Dragon Quest movie is on Netflix. Just watched it and really liked it.

The ending was loving nuts and blew me away

I laughed out loud in disbelief and delight that it starts with a few minutes of SNES Dragon Quest V

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Shinjobi posted:

when he finally gets it :dukedog:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Going to the universe where this was a full length movie and not just a game commercial.

https://twitter.com/goegoezzz/status/1226267527119982592?s=09

It was apparently a 30 minute movie, so not full length but not just an ad for one of the games.
https://www.filmaffinity.com/us/film662547.html

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Anyone playing Dragon Quest of the Stars?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I've tried about 20 minutes of it and it sure is.. I don't even know.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

That doesn't sound good. I'm interested in the Opinions, though.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I downloaded it but then it asked me to make a Square Enix account and I didn't feel like bothering with that at the moment.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is that Japan only?

When I hear Dragon Quest of the Stars I just think "Circus of the Stars" with Betty White doing a tight rope routine and Vanilla Ice doing one of those motorcycle inside of a rollcage stunt thingies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

Alxprit posted:

That doesn't sound good. I'm interested in the Opinions, though.

It seems okay so far, but doesn't have much to make it stand out. Basically your standard mobile game.