Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Right now, there is no supporter. They have supplied no proof. Why would CNN do anything that might merit "warning" Pete? They would not have rigged the polls against him, they have paid his campaign 80K.

If they are giving monetary support, are they legally allowed to withhold the polls? Has the impartiality of CNN broken through in a much bigger way than just the last debate questions?

if you think dmr/selzer/cnn are lying about this, there is no point in believing any of their polling at all so it's all pretty moot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Thoguh posted:

People like to vote for winners so polls like this legitimately influence voting decisions. Especially for candidates with soft support that may not be viable. Nobody wants to show up and be the only person in their precinct in the Pete corner.

Delaney Lads deserve their voice heard.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Groovelord Neato posted:

I want those people to eat all the poo poo. Naturally I'm voting and giving money for a better future but goddamn is that gonna be a great side benefit.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Ok, but Pete's campaign is the only primary source we have, right? They have not produced a complaint in any form? There are no censored emails or recorded phone calls. Therefore, our primary source is Pete.

And Pete's campaign was paid over 80K by CNN's parent company.

CATI surveys are usually closely monitored. Someone working for the call center likely checked and found that this person was enlarging the font in such a way to randomly exclude one candidate. Pete is, ostensibly, the one that got wind of it though it would have effected everyone equally.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
delaney was in 1st place and dmr is too embarrassed to admit they never saw what all of us delaneyheads knew the entire time: he's catching on

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Ok, but Pete's campaign is the only primary source we have, right? They have not produced a complaint in any form? There are no censored emails or recorded phone calls. Therefore, our primary source is Pete.

And Pete's campaign was paid over 80K by CNN's parent company.

DMR and CNN both reported on something that happened to a poll that was being jointly run by DMR and CNN. They are primary sources.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

PerniciousKnid posted:

Okay but what are we supposed to talk about until then?

Bernie's rally? Literally anything but playing mystery detective/conspiracy theorist over a last minute poll that cant possibly have significant effect

You guys realize the polls arent like secret auguries that will relieve your anxiety about Monday, right

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

PepsiOverCoke posted:

I have a vested interest in making sure the process goes well here and things are fair. I don't buy into all the hair pulling and hand wringing that go on in this thread.

I mean poo poo, as soon as the story came out people assumed it was some kind of CIA Op. That isn't normal, especially when all the citations are tweets.

Do we have any evidence that it went to campaigns first and THEN the DMR pulled it, or is it the DMR immediately went into damage control mode, maybe even over reacting, and pulled the poll?

It seems to be the latter more than the former from what we're seeing here.

One person made a joke about the CIA

And Lis Smith, who works on the campaign, whose tweets are on this page, says the campaign brought up the irregularities to DMR and CNN, and it was after the campaign complained that the poll got pulled. Which lends credence to the argument that the poll was bad for Pete and they've been fighting behind the scenes to bury it with this as their excuse.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/aaronstigile/status/1223687824383197184?s=21

The fix is in.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

that's absolute bullshit

edit: and even if it was true it wouldn't actually hurt bernie sanders because the delegate value of each caucus is determined months in advance, and it's the same even if only 1 person shows up

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Concerned Citizen posted:

if you think dmr/selzer/cnn are lying about this, there is no point in believing any of their polling at all so it's all pretty moot.

Nobody is lying about anything. They pulled a poll because the person who is giving them money complained that there was a technical difficulty or mishap. That technical difficulty or mishap was not reported to CNN. If it was, CNN has made no such comment. So either CNN is omitting that they knew about the complaint, or it was never taken to CNN.

Again, CNN has no reason to damage the poll against Pete, because they paid his campaign 80K. Besides, if they do omit this poll to help pete, does it count as monetary support? How much is their airtime worth? They were broadcasting it live, remember.

With Fredo.

Eminai posted:

DMR and CNN both reported on something that happened to a poll that was being jointly run by DMR and CNN. They are primary sources.

Can you post a source?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The DNC meddling is in you mean?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

That's a benefit for Bernie imo. Who is more likely to be flustered by a last minute change in location, olds or millennials?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I bet they'll release it on Tuesday. Or late, late Monday.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

oxsnard posted:

goddamit

they are very mad about this cartoon

agc

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
if bernie doesn't win the caucus, looking forward to people claiming it was rigged even though it's literally the most open process imaginable. in which the vote counting is observed by campaign volunteers and reported to headquarters in every precinct, where every single person at the caucus can see exactly how many people are supporting each person, and the official result can be matched against the campaign's own counts.

because people still claim that there were rigged coin tosses in 2016

PepsiOverCoke
Dec 2, 2019

by Reene

Wicked Them Beats posted:

One person made a joke about the CIA

And Lis Smith, who works on the campaign, whose tweets are on this page, says the campaign brought up the irregularities to DMR and CNN, and it was after the campaign complained that the poll got pulled. Which lends credence to the argument that the poll was bad for Pete and they've been fighting behind the scenes to bury it with this as their excuse.

Sure that does track, but it doesn't mean they were the first and only, nor does it mean they were exclusively the only ones that knew.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

if bernie doesn't win the caucus, looking forward to people claiming it was rigged even though it's literally the most open process imaginable. in which the vote counting is observed by campaign volunteers and reported to headquarters in every precinct, where every single person at the caucus can see exactly how many people are supporting each person, and the official result can be matched against the campaign's own counts.

Ok. We'll see.

Maybe we'll all finally see the light and vote moderate, right?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Just want to quickly note that the fact that we EVER let political decisions come down to coin tosses or drawing straws or anything else along those lines is proof that the entire system needs to be torn down. Also that this literally is a game to the people in power.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Yeah it crazy how people don't trust the DNC

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Just want to quickly note that the fact that we EVER let political decisions come down to coin tosses or drawing straws or anything else along those lines is proof that the entire system needs to be torn down. Also that this literally is a game to the people in power.

it's not like there's actually a fair or non-arbitrary way to adjudicate ties.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

They probably should have used different coins for the coin tosses though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The only specific instance cited in the thread is from three weeks ago. Seems like panicky bullshit but yeah do check to see that you have accurate information.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

I know it's your job to spread misery on behalf of billionaires and harvest blood from the unfortunate but perhaps there's a reason people don't like you.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

PerniciousKnid posted:

Okay but what are we supposed to talk about until then?

Tomorrow? The superb owl.
Then I get to die of anxiety and declare bankruptcy after maxing my credit cards for Bernie.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Can you post a source?

I can't verify the CNN part, but here's somebody from the thread linking to the DMR's reporting

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Here: https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...rns/4637168002/

"Published 8:01 p.m. CT Feb. 1, 2020 | Updated 8:10 p.m. CT Feb. 1, 2020"

TLDR: We are not releasing the poll because a single "surveyor" complained.

Edit: Added date and time. Removed quotation marks at the end.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Eminai posted:

I can't verify the CNN part, but here's somebody from the thread linking to the DMR's reporting

God, I got way too drunk way too fast and confused myself.

Edit: loving cheers everyone, this could be it. And if it ain't, you're drunk.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The only specific instance cited in the thread is from three weeks ago. Seems like panicky bullshit but yeah do check to see that you have accurate information.

Yeah that guy is retweeting blatantly incorrect stuff like saying that some caucus location will have their numbers capped and that 'after that people will be told to go to another caucus location' which is at a very basic level not how it works. He's just melting down for no particular reason.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

joepinetree posted:

2- the results were outliers in such a way that they were concerned about their credibility if they were wrong. Given that it was a campaign complaining, it likely was a case where the results for that campaign were much worse than expected and so they were afraid that if they got it massively wrong, they'd get called out pretty openly. Like, they wouldn't be spiking it if it showed Buttigied way ahead of other polls, because they wouldn't be called out by the Buttigieg campaign after the fact if they got it wrong. But in the other direction...

Completely hypothetical question: would there ever be a reason for a campaign to want to spike a poll that shows them unrealistically ahead? Let's say Pete's internal polling is fairly consistent and a poll shows up that's a clear outlier with him way ahead. His campaign knows he'd vastly underperform that poll which would look bad. Would they want to bury that poll or would the good press in the moment be worth the risk?

This is just out of curiosity, not because I think it's realistic, really.

PepsiOverCoke
Dec 2, 2019

by Reene
I dunno, i just had to order in more barbed wire and mouse traps to distribute on certain campaign areas of my caucus site.

That dude knows whats up.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
They would not bury a good poll. No way. It was definitely bad for team Butt's narrative

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/cancel_sam/status/1223798895735640064?s=21

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

oxsnard posted:

They would not bury a good poll. No way. It was definitely bad for team Butt's narrative

Oh I don't think it's a realistic scenario I'm just sort of curious if there would ever be a reason to bury a poll that was a clear outlier that you knew you'd wildly underperform. But maybe that wouldn't happen anyway.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Harrow posted:

Completely hypothetical question: would there ever be a reason for a campaign to want to spike a poll that shows them unrealistically ahead? Let's say Pete's internal polling is fairly consistent and a poll shows up that's a clear outlier with him way ahead. His campaign knows he'd vastly underperform that poll which would look bad. Would they want to bury that poll or would the good press in the moment be worth the risk?

This is just out of curiosity, not because I think it's realistic, really.

At this point, absolutely not. The good press in the moment would be incredibly valuable right now, because polling well helps convince voters that the candidate is viable, which will have a positive impact on the actual voting. It's the same reason Iowa and NH are make-or-break moments - performing well helps convince voters that a candidate is capable of performing well, which increases their confidence that the candidate is worth picking.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/jefmbv/status/1223825203383242752?s=21

In case anyone was believing Tom Watson for a millisecond.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

At this point, absolutely not. The good press in the moment would be incredibly valuable right now, because polling well helps convince voters that the candidate is viable, which will have a positive impact on the actual voting. It's the same reason Iowa and NH are make-or-break moments - performing well helps convince voters that a candidate is capable of performing well, which increases their confidence that the candidate is worth picking.

Yeah, that makes sense. People like winners so the perception of winning increases your chance of winning.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Harrow posted:

Yeah, that makes sense. People like winners so the perception of winning increases your chance of winning.

Unless they're Hillary and a bunch of people sigh in relief about not having to actually vote for her (this was me)

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

lmao

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Mahoning posted:

https://twitter.com/jefmbv/status/1223825203383242752?s=21

In case anyone was believing Tom Watson for a millisecond.

Guy who claims to be a Democratic strategist has no idea how polls work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

loving lol