Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Babe Magnet posted:

(I like the plain, solid-color bases because it makes it easier for me to imagine the little dudes running across whatever terrain they're fighting on today)

:hmmyes:
My man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Goobertown hobbies is lovely.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Good Citizen posted:

No wait let’s hear them out I think they’re about to resolve their differences through the power of debate

It's like watching two strawmen box.

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth
This is one of the weakest things to by someone an av over in a thread with a long history of buying lovely avs.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

Babe Magnet posted:

does the vallejo basing stuff make the bases invisible or something??? lol

Put all your models on flight bases.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

BULBASAUR posted:

I'm getting triggered by somebody preferring to play against painted models

lol it's only taken 8 years for someone to get annoyed enough by what I've said to finally spend $10 on me and it was because of this

By the way, that's $10 you could have spent on contrast paints to actually paint your models

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I don’t mind playing against unpainted models if it’s a casual game with a friend, but if I’m paying money and taking vacation days to go to an event, I want it to require fully painted armies so I can enjoy looking taking cool phone pictures while I lose. I don’t mind no-painting-requirement events existing, I just am not interested in participating in them. For bigger events like LVO, painting requirements make them way easier to market, too, because they literally look better.

That said, my feelings on this have changed over the years—back when I played WMH I was against painting requirements, for example, and I think some dynamic campaign events benefit from no painting requirements since you can glue new plastic guys together as the event progresses.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

jng2058 posted:

"If you don't paint to my standards, you don't deserve to play."
"If you aren't a straight white male like me, you don't deserve to play."

Jesus loving christ can you not compare people with model painting opinions to actual bigots please and thank you

I can't believe I have to say this

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I'd really like it if people would at least shoot a coat of primer before bringing stuff out for events.

It gets annoying to keep track of models when both sides are running bare plastic. That said, I'm never going to shame someone for not having stuff painted. Free time is hard to come by, and I get preferring to spend it playing rather than painting.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
And you guys thought I was annoying

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
I'm waiting for the red text storm.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I frequently play against nids and the dude painted them all (2k+ lots of gaunts and stealers) in one day. Red rattlecan, brown wash skin part, black templar on the chitin and then a very dirty drybrush. They look great on the table!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Not completely happy with it, the white is rough. I ordered Corax White spray can for future Tau models.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

I said come in! posted:

Not completely happy with it, the white is rough. I ordered Corax White spray can for future Tau models.

Painting white loving sucks, airbrushes own.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Strobe posted:

Painting white loving sucks, airbrushes own.

Yeah, I think the issue is pretty much any brushing of white other than to correct any mistakes. Spray can or airbush is the only way to get a good coat of white.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

goose willis posted:

And you guys thought I was annoying

You’re perfect

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I said come in! posted:

Yeah, I think the issue is pretty much any brushing of white other than to correct any mistakes. Spray can or airbush is the only way to get a good coat of white.

I've done some white brushing but you need to be really, really methodical and not actually paint much white. Blue, light blue, light blue grey, light light light grey and then some white. Absolute motherfucker to paint no matter what though. I hear that corax white is quite smooth though so hopefully it will let you lay down a smooth base to try and work around.

E: Give white a go over Wolf Grey (Vallejo game colour, I think it's Fenrisian Grey GW). It's a smooth colour coat and the white can go on really smooth with only a couple of base coats to get some tooth on the model.

JBP fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 2, 2020

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Man it sucks there are still so many gatekeeping assholes in this hobby

Big <3's to the posters rallying against this behaviour though x

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Man, 80 new posts in the last few hours, bet everyone's having a great time talking about something new that games workshop relea...

:yikes:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The only thing I dont like the idea of is proxying. It feels unfair to me if I field an army that I took the time and money to create. Otherwise I dont care about unpainted armies.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I prefer painted but I'm guilty of having half done armies all the time. As long as they've got a base coat you can more easily see which unit is which. Grey plastic can be a little hard to keep tabs on but that's life.

If someone wants to proxy all of one thing for another (like all of unit X is actually unit Y) or they want to swap out maybe two things I'm all good. If I need to second guess every little thing because of many confusing changes it can wreck the game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I can accept like one group of models having a different weapon by proxy. I think that can be okay cause like admech for example have multiple weapon load outs for each model. Not everyone wants to make their weapons swappable. But it should be a weapon that comes with that models boxset.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I don't care at all. I'd be happy to play against cut out circles of paper with a dowel of the correct hight with a letter on them.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I think with proxies there some stuff which is pretty forgiveable because GW kits are a bit shite for certain options (like if I want 10 grey knights with warding staves I need to buy 5 strike squad boxes? lol) so as long as there is some way to tell them apart thats fine. My ven dread is pretending to have a missile launcher for now until I can get one because of GW kit weirdness. Then there the proxying when someone is like "I'm tempted to buy a unit but I want to see how it plays first, so please pretend my X are Y" and thats fine too. Then there's people who are proxying like their entire army or whatever, with friends I've even done this where we used a pot of house paint as a Necron Monolith because we wanted to try a necron list back when Monoliths were good and the necron dude only had one.

This all being said, I think it's right for tournaments to have stricter rules on it all though. "all my green marines count as blood angels" i actually don't care about at all, despite some of the tournaments apparently cracking down on that. The WYSIWYG requirements from GW tournaments in particular I think are always the hardest ask. I ended up buying 3 Leman Russes despite the fact I already owned four because "Just pretend they don't have sponsons and the lascannon is a heavy bolter" was fine for friends but not for the odd tournament I went to.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

I said come in! posted:

I've not tried it yet, but people itt have had spectacular results with the Contrast white.

JBP posted:

E: Give white a go over Wolf Grey (Vallejo game colour, I think it's Fenrisian Grey GW). It's a smooth colour coat and the white can go on really smooth with only a couple of base coats to get some tooth on the model.

This is worth emphasizing. VMC Wolf Grey is great. While it's well off a proper white (which is probably why the paint works), as long as it's the whitest paint on a model it looks like white and it's actually easy to work with.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE
In regards to painting things white, I've had some luck with Ulthuan Grey. It's very close to white but actually has a decent finish if you put it on top of a nice tan or medium grey.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

ThoraxTheImpaler posted:

In regards to painting things white, I've had some luck with Ulthuan Grey. It's very close to white but actually has a decent finish if you put it on top of a nice tan or medium grey.

Same, I layer up to Ulthuan Grey for my Iron Hawks chapter symbols/face masks and edge highlight it with something like White Scar

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Moola posted:

Man it sucks there are still so many gatekeeping assholes in this hobby

Big <3's to the posters rallying against this behaviour though x

why even bother with assembly? just put the bits into little bags, measure from the edges

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
So, I went to see my folks this last week. Work doesn't want me going anywhere February-April, so I wanted to see them while I could. This delayed my battle report writing, so I'm only now getting to last week's batrep. But I got all of the pictures edited, so I can get the games from last week and this week down now.

Game Setup: We've gone up to 400 points. I've added three intercessors to my squad, one with an auxiliary grenade launcher. The squad is now being run as having all stalker bolt rifles (which the newer lads were built with). I've also added in a mighty redemptor dreadnought!

The base was a joy to work with, and when he's worked, he's worked really well. Onslaught Gatling Cannons and Storm Bolters do some work. I don't currently have enough points for the icarus rocket pod, so it's purely decorative.

My Narrative: The soil of Herosand V has been soaked in the blood of Xenos and Humans alike as the fighting escalates! Throughout the planet, forces clash as daily reinforcements arrive from all over the galaxy.

However, there are also clashes between imperial forces due to chaos sorcery, fog of war, accusations of heresy, and Looking At Us Funny. Today, tempers flare and egos clash!

Match 1: Astra Militarum

Their Forces: A whole bunch of artillery and conscripts, plus two commissars and an inquisitor.

quote:

"Ah, it's nice to finally receive some reinforcements," Captain Incusator said as he leaned against the side of their newly acquired dreadnought.

"Please do not treat me as furniture. Beep boop," the dreadnought said.

The captain narrowed his eyes. "Reginald, you know you're not actually a robot, right? Just placed in a life support suit?"

"Does not compute," said the voice from inside the machine.

The captain was going to respond when the ground exploded nearby.

"Great scott! What the devil's happened!" he cried out.

"I think it's the Cadians," said Sergeant Caminus. "They must have us confused with the enemy."

"This is just what happens when you think with your flesh," the captain said. "Weak thought!" He strode forward to teach the impudent guardsmen a lesson.

Cadia's finest on display!

He actually forgot to bring his tank, so he had to rejigger his list to only use the infantry in his army. Lots of bodies to shoot through. This would have given me a big problem the previous week, when I had a small number of attacks to work with. But now I have some real firepower!

Forward for the Emperor!

The stone pillar next to my dreadnought was the superior objective. I made sure to put my lads next to it. I fired into the massed guard, taking out a fair number of them. However, then his shooting turn started.

The mission type was the scouring. Six objectives placed, four worth two, one worth four, and one worth one. The high-value one was actually near the ruins in the middle of the board, on my side. I moved up to get sat up on it, advancing my captain so he could get into melee as soon as possible.

I took out a few of his men with my shooting. However, even with the 22 shots from the dreadnought, that left him with a lot of bodies left on the board.

He decided for his shooting to focus down my intercessors. This was a fairly brutal shooting round. By the end, I had a single intercessor left, with all of the rest of my lads blown to kingdom come. When I could move again, I tucked him down to where he'd be out of sight and only targetable by the mortars:

Bravely seeking cover!

However, this left my biggest threats unscathed. My dreadnought took out a lot more of his army out with its next volley of shots, obliterating much of his forces.

"Didn't we used to have more guys than this?"

Then the charges began. My grav captain got right into his forces and tore through a squad, and the dreadnought through another. His shooting was now much weaker. He did a little damage to me, but not enough to put a serious dent on my captain's or my dreadnought's ability to shred bodies. He finally brought all three of his characters into melee.

"Blended or pureed?"

At that point, he basically just had his mortars left, and there wasn't really any coming back for him. We talked a bit about strategy, and where he should have focused his fire the first round. If he'd managed to take down my dreadnought, he would have had much more time to take out my intercessors, and maybe just played around my captain, who could, after all, only take out a maximum of seven models a turn, assuming perfect rolls.

Match 2: Space Wolves

Their Forces: Wolf Lord, Thunderwolf Cavalry, Grey Hunters

quote:

"You know what I hate, Caminus?" the captain asked.

"What's that, sir?"

"Animals. Just terrible, hairy lumps of flesh. Completely useless." He shuddered. "Honestly, I can hardly imagine who would put up with those filthy beasts. You'd have to be mad."

"Ah, sir..."

"And the smell! Imagine just constantly having that up your snoot. Disgusting."

"Sir..."

"No, lad, nothing I hate worse than animals, and those who put up with them."

"Sir!"

"What is it, Caminus?"

"Sir, this is the delegation from the Space Wolves company." Sergeant Caminus gestured to a furious wolf lord and several shaggy men on several shaggy wolves, which were starting to growl ominously.

"...Ah."

The battlefield!

So, I was going up against a melee heavy army with an army that has excellent long-ranged weaponry. I also had the superior objective on my side of the map. Obviously, this meant I deployed as far forward as possible.

Hairy Dogboys!

My opponent also deployed as far forward as possible, but also kept his units into cover as far as possible. However, he couldn't quite hide his troops.

More than one way to skin a wolf.

Since all of my shooting was focused on his troops, they were taken out pretty quickly. When his thunderwolf cavalry came out of cover, I tried to soften them up a little, but they all had stormshields, which meant only one in three successful wounds actually went through. He also rolled really well on his saves, so very little damage went through. He then went to where I had grav captain pushed forward. His wolf lord caught up soon after. Over optimistically, I charged my dreadnought and intercessors into the fight. I tried to fight twice with my redemptor dreadnought, using Honor the Chapter, and managed to take out one of the thunderwolves.

A grand melee

My dreadnought and grav captain were soon destroyed, along with one more of his cavalry. This was the end of the fifth round, but we rolled to continue. I broke off what remained of my intercessors, falling back to try and delay the inevitable a little. This almost worked. Overwatch helped me take out the remaining thunderwolf. But his wolf lord got into melee.

"Mommy."

At the end of round six, I had one intercessor left in melee with his wolf lord. We were right next to the superior objective, however. I had one point for being the first to kill a unit (his troops), while he had a point for killing my warlord. My intercessor had priority on taking objectives, and this would have given me another four points. If the game ended right there, I would win... but we rolled just high enough to go to round seven. Seeing that it was futile, I bowed out and we shook hands.

This was a major learning experience for me. If I had stayed back and shot at him longer, I might have had more luck in thinning out his cavalry, or even his wolf lord. If I hadn't rammed all of my units into melee as soon as I could, I could easily gotten the objective secured and lasted into turn seven, guaranteeing a win.

quote:

"What happened?" asked Captain Incusator, as he slowly sat up.

"They beat us, I'm afraid," said Sergeant Caminus.

"Beat us! How?" he asked.

"They fought dirty, sir," the sergeant said. "They hit us right in the flesh."

"Our weakest point," the captain said. "Those beastly dastards!"

In my next battle report, I'll go into the games I fought today, and we'll see how I finish up the 400 point level.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The Cyclic Ion Blasters I ordered from shapeways got here today! Gonna order bases next week and have the punchiest Crisis Team you can reasonably make.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Safety Factor posted:

:frogsiren: Seekers Sternguard Company Veterans with combi-plasmas complete :frogsiren:
I converted these guys out of Raven Guard Mor Deythan because I like the models and wanted some mkVI in army. It's one of my favorite designs and there's not much room for it in most legions, but I figured seekers would work just fine. Conversions were pretty simple; I had to trim off the various RG emblems, clip off the shoulder pads (they're built in), green stuff new mounting/inner pads, and shave the trim off of a bunch of mkIV pads to get the right look.

Painting-wise, the main thing I did here was add another, slightly lighter grey to my blends. I had previously done black and dark grey they weren't really noticeable to anyone but me. There are a lot of flat panels on these models and the lack of knee pads makes things a little weird. I tried to pick a direction for the light hitting each model so they're not all identical. This will be my new standard for painting black going forward. Other than that, I did my usual Dark Angels heraldry and played around with masking fluid for the cloaks. I've got a vigilator with the exact same cloak design waiting to be finished as well.

On to the models!

This unit was a long project and I was a huge dumbass and did them as a batch of ten alongside some characters I was basecoating. I was finishing them at LVO as a result, but still had a few more details and touch ups to do when I got home. I got a few games in with them though and I was pretty happy with how they performed. I am really happy to have these guys done and I'm already mulling over a couple of options for my next project. Speaking of which...

:frogsiren:Additional WIP:frogsiren:

This guy is meant to act as a tartaros delegatus/centurion/warmonger/whatever. He's converted out of the Blood Angels praetor with all of the decorations shaved off. I've still got some minor filing/smoothing to do, but nothing major. The combi-weapon will get magnetized between a couple of options which is why it's held on with sticky tack for now. My current plan is to put together a full terminator ZM list by LVO next year and they'll be led by this idiot. You can fit something like 20 in 1000 points and I need to see how that goes.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

PinheadSlim posted:

Same, I layer up to Ulthuan Grey for my Iron Hawks chapter symbols/face masks and edge highlight it with something like White Scar

Celestra/Drakenhof/Ulthuan/White Scar is my usual go to if I want to paint white a lot of the time.
Although I still dread trying to paint a White Scar marine in the future. But not as much as painting an Imperial Fist.

JackMann posted:

So, I went to see my folks this last week. Work doesn't want me going anywhere February-April, so I wanted to see them while I could. This delayed my battle report writing, so I'm only now getting to last week's batrep. But I got all of the pictures edited, so I can get the games from last week and this week down now.

I would just want to say I love the silly dialogue. :golfclap:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Babe Magnet posted:

(I like the plain, solid-color bases because it makes it easier for me to imagine the little dudes running across whatever terrain they're fighting on today)

Have you heard the good word about clear lasercut acrylic bases?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

BULBASAUR posted:

why even bother with assembly? just put the bits into little bags, measure from the edges

The pro move is to individually sort the bits into slots in your foam

These are fuckin rad.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

Go one step further and put the bags in the trash and play kill team instead

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Why are you even taking them out of the box? Admittedly this worked a lot better in WHFB.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Knobb Manwich posted:

Why are you even taking them out of the box? Admittedly this worked a lot better in WHFB.

Galaxy brain level warhammer for sure.

I have a bit more sympathy for fantasy though, I have like 80 Halbardiers in a box and they took up as much room as two of the Halbardier boxes probably when placed on movement trays.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
I haven't played for a couple of months, and feel like taking my Tyranids out for a spin. With additions in Psychic Awakenings and point changes in Codex Approved, is there anywhere to parse all the information from different sources in one place? Like a fanmade page of all the Stratagems, for example.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Universe brain: don't buy any physical objects and just roleplay the battle with your imagination like D&D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
But for real, gently caress off if you think shaming people for not playing to your hobby 'standard' is okay in an way