Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

jackhunter64 posted:

And then he inexplicably shows up wearing a loving ZAFT uniform that outranks everyone else at the end. I'm surprised they didn't have him directly say 'I have more living family than you' to Shinn and Athrun just to really cap it off.

This is because, no poo poo, Lacus assumes effective control over ZAFT as the successor to Siegel Clyne, and since Kira is her personal praetorian guard, he gets to wear the white uniform.

An undercurrent in SEED and SEED Destiny is Lacus effectively managing events in the background and slowly building up a power base until by the end of the show she and her immediate confidants are in positions of power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The ZAFT White thing is supposed to be a plot thing but it's poorly conveyed. It's explicitly building off the ending where he confronts Durandal and then afterwards he has chosen to actually go back into combat instead of retreating from the world like he did earlier in Destiny.

It's not 'lol he gets a white coat for no reason' it is "Kira legitimately is returning to the world and taking action instead of hiding in an orphanage until poo poo gets bad."

Like I don't like Destiny's ending but is actually does represent a complete character arc for Kira where he goes from the guy who was so horribly scarred by the last war that he is only forced out of neutrality by a literal attack on his house to someone actively taking command and using his skills for peace. (It is, of course, a thinly veiled retread of Amuro Ray's plotline.)

Honestly Kira's basic plotline isn't bad and had it been told better it would have been fine. (Because, again, it apes a lot of Amuro's plot.) It's just not told very well and more critically it means he ends up taking over a show that he is only part of. It'd be like if Amuro showing up in Zeta ended with him sidelining Kamille entirely.

(As a side note, White Suit Kira is actually a character in G Generation Cross Wars and actually has an entire new set of dialogue specifically to reference the fact he's fighting willingly instead of begging people to stop fighting.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 31, 2020

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I am not looking forward to having to replay that mission on Extra difficulty just for that. It wasn't even hard, just tedious, which can be said for a lot of Cross Rays' gameplay to be honest.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bloody Pom posted:

I am not looking forward to having to replay that mission on Extra difficulty just for that. It wasn't even hard, just tedious, which can be said for a lot of Cross Rays' gameplay to be honest.

Honestly if you're not going for Secrets or Quests it doesn't take as much time since you can just brute force everything.

Admittedly by the time I got around to that I had Qan[T] ELS and Barbatos Lupus Rex Limited Off so it was kind of a moot point.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
i've never seen this talked about anywhere, so i'll just float it here;

G Reco is pretty clearly about Japanese rearmament and Tomino's feelings about it. viewed through that lens, the show makes a lot more sense. it's not necessarily anti-war (to the extent a show about cool robot fights can ever be) or full pacifism, but pretty harshly anti-nationalist and more concerned about exploring a conflict that doesn't really matter that much and how that came to be and effects people. in that sense, i think the 'confusion' of the whole thing works pretty well. a solder on the ground will never have the full picture of anything and the viewer doesn't have that privilege either.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Million Ghosts posted:

i've never seen this talked about anywhere, so i'll just float it here;

G Reco is pretty clearly about Japanese rearmament and Tomino's feelings about it. viewed through that lens, the show makes a lot more sense. it's not necessarily anti-war (to the extent a show about cool robot fights can ever be) or full pacifism, but pretty harshly anti-nationalist and more concerned about exploring a conflict that doesn't really matter that much and how that came to be and effects people. in that sense, i think the 'confusion' of the whole thing works pretty well. a solder on the ground will never have the full picture of anything and the viewer doesn't have that privilege either.

IIRC Tomino was pretty explicit about intent in some interview somewhere?

And it certainly works. But death of the author and whatnot. Sure, it ties into the theme and the intent is certainly there, but it still makes for poor viewing.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

How is that death of the author

What's your alternate reading of the show?

"The show makes for poor viewing" is completely independent of death of the author

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Finished 0079 and I’m on episode 5 of Zeta.

I loved 0079 but I hated Slegger. The Mirai and him stuff was so random near the end but besides that I liked the series as a whole. I teared up when the orphans guided Amuro back to the crew and Amuro jumping into their outstretched arms. :unsmith:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

ninjewtsu posted:

How is that death of the author

What's your alternate reading of the show?

"The show makes for poor viewing" is completely independent of death of the author

Just not ranking it automatically above others is enough. I don't really have an alternate reading. I'm not sure if being a bit more thematic was worth the cost of clarity.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Miching Mallecho posted:

I loved 0079 but I hated Slegger.

Get in line! :v:

I think he's probably one of the most universally hated character in 0079. There are numerous gag comics about Bright trying to get him killed on purpose.

You kinda have to feel sorry for him though. He was just a regular ol fly boy who turned up for regular duty unaware of the White Base crew's unique relationship.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Argas posted:

IIRC Tomino was pretty explicit about intent in some interview somewhere?

And it certainly works. But death of the author and whatnot. Sure, it ties into the theme and the intent is certainly there, but it still makes for poor viewing.

i pretty much never read interviews of any kind so. not to become the resident G Reco defender, but watching it in a lump instead of airing weekly i'm liking it a lot and i'd really like if history was kind to it but i'm sure it won't be. show is very good.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Miching Mallecho posted:

I loved 0079 but I hated Slegger. The Mirai and him stuff was so random near the end but besides that I liked the series as a whole. I teared up when the orphans guided Amuro back to the crew and Amuro jumping into their outstretched arms. :unsmith:

Have you already been convinced Kamille is the greatest hero in Gundam history? Episode 1 should have convinced you of that.

It's always fun watching new faces come to the franchise in here since I did the exact same 6 years ago now. My favorite early post about Kamille summed him up as a kid who would have climbed the nearest tower with a bunch of guns had he not been recruited by the AEUG.

But seriously, any strong feelings on the cast of Zeta so far? You watching dub or sub?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Million Ghosts posted:

not to become the resident G Reco defender

Please don't steal my job.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I just finished episode 20 of Zeta and pretty much every arc in this show can be summarized as "Well that was a shitshow"

RIP Four, you were very cool and also very troubled

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

NikkolasKing posted:

My favorite early post about Kamille summed him up as a kid who would have climbed the nearest tower with a bunch of guns had he not been recruited by the AEUG.

I mean he basically did just that, it was just a very large moving tower with guns already installed

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
People hate Sleggar? I thought he was great because he's just a giant douchebag who riles up Bright.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

thetoughestbean posted:

I just finished episode 20 of Zeta and pretty much every arc in this show can be summarized as "Well that was a shitshow"

RIP Four, you were very cool and also very troubled

All time favorite Gundam girl and her and Kamille are my all time favorite Gundam romance. People give "Newtype Romances" a lot of poo poo and if we're talking Amuro and Lalah I can get that. But Kamille and Four actually spent time together, talked and had chemistry.

Having good music helps.
https://youtu.be/OTp-D3GXREA
https://youtu.be/JdCFZ5QVNKE

I need o re-watch Zeta. Still my favorite Gundam series. I guess I need to watch IBO and Thunderbolt and The Origin and I will sometime. But of the ones I've seen, Zeta reigns supreme.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 2, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

People hate Sleggar? I thought he was great because he's just a giant douchebag who riles up Bright.

It's the whole 'a bit of domestic abuse is just what Mirai needs' thing.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

It's the whole 'a bit of domestic abuse is just what Mirai needs' thing.

It's weird people don't seem to mind when Bright does it to children though.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Droyer posted:

It's weird people don't seem to mind when Bright does it to children though.

We've had this talk before, and Bright's slap is presented as a desperate action in a situation where Amuro is endangering the lives of every single person on the White Base. It's presented as parental discipline, where limited, controlled physical violence is considered "okay" in most societies throughout history, unlike domestic abuse, which is more often used as a mark someone's a real piece of poo poo.

It's still controversial, and Bright growing out of needing to hit people to get his intent across is an important part of his character growth, but hitting a teenager for being an rear end in a top hat who could get everyone killed, him getting pissed at you, and everyone growing from the experience is a very different from hitting a woman for saying something you don't like, then having her briefly fall in love with you before you die.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I'm watching Zeta and everybody's hitting everybody else. I think the series doesn't think hitting people is that bad.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

thetoughestbean posted:

I'm watching Zeta and everybody's hitting everybody else. I think the series doesn't think hitting people is that bad.

Kamille "Violence is no answer" Bidan.

People talk about Gundam Wing being insane. I think early Zeta might have it beat. They are both also the best Gundam series.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

NikkolasKing posted:

Kamille "Violence is no answer" Bidan.

People talk about Gundam Wing being insane. I think early Zeta might have it beat. They are both also the best Gundam series.

Kamille getting caught after punching Jared in the face, get off via his parent's lawyer. Only to immediately get caught again after he punched the guy interrogating him, sold me on his character.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

I got genuinely shocked and horrified a when Kamille’s mom was killed in that space capsule then Jerid with his lovely comments and “apology”. So far I really hate Jerid and Kamille’s lovely father.

I’m watching it dubbed but does it have egregious errors or anything lost in translation because if it does I’ll watch it subbed then.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

I think the dub's generally okay performance wise, but the thing that lets it (and the 0079 dub) down is replacing a lot of the original sound effects with generic, overused ones. If you swap back and forth while playing, things like space battles in the dub always having the same 'Pew-p-p-pew-pew' sound looped over and over do detract a bit. It's not a dealbreaker, but when a lot of the sound design of Gundam has become iconic (BWOOOOOMMMMM), it does seem like a misstep.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Kamille and Fa fight more often than Kamille and Four did and Four literally tried to kill him!

Also, I laughed at Emma going "Kamille’s attracted to me and I’m not going to be his weird replacement mom, so I'm going to be a bit more hands-off"

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Feb 2, 2020

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Neo_Crimson posted:

Kamille getting caught after punching Jared in the face, get off via his parent's lawyer. Only to immediately get caught again after he punched the guy interrogating him, sold me on his character.

Kamille really, really wanting to punch fascist space-cops makes him the most relatable protagonist in all of Gundam.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

thetoughestbean posted:

Kamille and Fa fight more often than Kamille and Four did and Four literally tried to kill him!

Also, I laughed at Emma going "Kamille’s attracted to me and I’m not going to be his weird replacement mom, so I'm going to be a bit more hands-off"

That's because Fa is basically Kamille's replacement mom until Kamille grows up a little bit.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

Also doesn't the situation where he gets in the Mk 2 for the first time happen right after, or not long after, that scene? Where he then threatens to step on the space cops?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Kanos posted:

That's because Fa is basically Kamille's replacement mom until Kamille grows up a little bit.

And then she becomes his full-time carer :smith:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

RillAkBea posted:

And then she becomes his full-time carer :smith:

On the other hand He does get better.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

I regret not getting the gundam dynasty warrior games when I had my PS3

https://youtu.be/5iqaZoiL1as

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I always saw Reccoa as more of Kamille's replacement mom in terms of the older women he was in contact with.

I dunno why.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Miching Mallecho posted:

I regret not getting the gundam dynasty warrior games when I had my PS3

https://youtu.be/5iqaZoiL1as

1 and 3 were good. 2 kind of sucked, and New had too many grindy unlock requirements.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

NikkolasKing posted:

I always saw Reccoa as more of Kamille's replacement mom in terms of the older women he was in contact with.

I dunno why.

Doing something irrational and dying for it?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Judau dodging Wong's 'correction' and laying him the gently caress out was one of the high points of ZZ imo.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Warmachine posted:

Also doesn't the situation where he gets in the Mk 2 for the first time happen right after, or not long after, that scene? Where he then threatens to step on the space cops?

He also remembered one of the most important rules, don't loving talk to space cops
Kamille is a good kid

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

NikkolasKing posted:

I dunno why.

He assumes most women are his mom until proven otherwise.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

HitTheTargets posted:

Kamille isn't ever sure if a girl is his replacement mom or his girlfriend, so he assumes every woman he meets is both until proven otherwise.

This is in contrast to Amuro, whose limited relationship with Frau provided Hayato with one of the few big wins of his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

HitTheTargets posted:

Like teacher, like student.