Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

An insane mind posted:

I'm Dutch and speak English (and French and German) at an alright level. Most countries were I go to I end up trying to learn some of the language. Most citizens are delighted at you for even trying, it's only been English people, so far, who've treated me like I'm mentally addled and shouted at me when I seemed to not catch on fast enough.

Lol yeah, I'm Dutch too and I've lived in the UK and I've had English people get downright pissed at me for having an accent or asking them to repeat something because I didn't quite catch it.

Also telling a drunk Brit that having an accent is a price I'm quite happy to pay for speaking more than 1 language had about a 50/50 shot between shutting them up vs. making them more pissed off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Now Brexit has happened, any move towards Scottish independence would be a move away from American corporate exploitation. They're going to go Killing Hope on the ScotNats' backsides. As for the EU, remember how they held off from granting Ukraine membership thanks to the Russian invasion? No way they're going to go for an asset that risky if England sends in the troops.

This is not an argument against Scottish nationalism as an ideal, per se, but you need to understand that it's likely to be a long bloody road and no strong imperial daddy is coming to save you.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

endlessmonotony posted:

No, but they do care about American Freedom, and giving the Scottish their freedom from the English serves that notion while also being truly rare as an opportunity since it's a military show of force that won't get automatically condemned by half the population.

Oh poo poo are we talking about America going to war to free the Scottish? I guess yeah, if it gets that serious, Americans will definitely start caring about it

I don't want to clog up the thread with this argument but I think many posters here are dramatically overestimating the attentiveness, consistency of thought, and overall care with which Americans approach international affairs

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Civilized Fishbot posted:

This is all 100% true but seems irrelevant to the point I was making that American voters don't care about Scottish independence

The point I'm making is that the US will send aid regardless of voters actually caring.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

As for the EU, remember how they held off from granting Ukraine membership thanks to the Russian invasion? No way they're going to go for an asset that risky if England sends in the troops.

I don't. Ukraine applied for an EU association agreement and it was signed a couple of years ago.

Please keep the Clancy chat out of the BORIS thread. This is a serious thread about Bojo & The Gammons for serious people.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Oh poo poo are we talking about America going to war to free the Scottish? I guess yeah, if it gets that serious, Americans will definitely start caring about it

I don't want to clog up the thread with this argument but I think many posters here are dramatically overestimating the attentiveness, consistency of thought, and overall care with which Americans approach international affairs

Honestly I'm more talking about posturing to discourage the English from trying anything dumb.

But yes, first it needs the US to declare support for the independence referendum, which within-US is pride vs business interests, which is why it would be a huge gamble.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

endlessmonotony posted:

discourage the English from trying anything dumb.

*looks at Westminster*

*looks at Brexit*

*looks at economy*

*looks at most city and town plans*

Hmmm, good luck there.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Dance Officer posted:

The point I'm making is that the US will send aid regardless of voters actually caring.

Alright then yeah we agree

endlessmonotony posted:

Honestly I'm more talking about posturing to discourage the English from trying anything dumb.

But yes, first it needs the US to declare support for the independence referendum, which within-US is pride vs business interests, which is why it would be a huge gamble.

Pride-versus-business-interests is not a huge gamble in the US, it's a landslide victory for business interests.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Pride-versus-business-interests is not a huge gamble in the US, it's a landslide victory for business interests.

Well, there's where we disagree them.

Mind you I'd have agreed with you before Trump and Brexit, but now it's clear rationality is not to be relied upon.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Taeke posted:

Lol yeah, I'm Dutch too and I've lived in the UK and I've had English people get downright pissed at me for having an accent or asking them to repeat something because I didn't quite catch it.

Also telling a drunk Brit that having an accent is a price I'm quite happy to pay for speaking more than 1 language had about a 50/50 shot between shutting them up vs. making them more pissed off.

Ah so I'm not the only one who got the accent wrath brought down on them :highfive:

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
A US-EU proxy war in the British civil war would be a hell of a thing.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

marktheando posted:

Trump is in power for at least the next four years,

Hmm...

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

endlessmonotony posted:

Well, there's where we disagree them.

Mind you I'd have agreed with you before Trump and Brexit, but now it's clear rationality is not to be relied upon.

You think electing Trump over Clinton was a matter of national pride surging over business interests? I'd say exactly the opposite - donor money, and consequently votes, flowed to Trump because even though he's an obvious idiot and a mark of shame for the country, it's better for the rich if the Republicans hold power than the Democrats.

Of course that's not the case with Brexit, but Trump represented the party of business interests in the general election.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Dance Officer posted:

Whos backing who? US and EU fighting over who gets to be Scotland?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Dance Officer posted:

And the exact reason this really hinges on the US declaring either support for or neutrality on Scottish independence.

The EU will not jeopardize their relationship with the US for Scotland, but otherwise they're in support.

And when was the last time the US declared neutrality on anything?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

endlessmonotony posted:

And the exact reason this really hinges on the US declaring either support for or neutrality on Scottish independence.

The EU will not jeopardize their relationship with the US for Scotland, but otherwise they're in support.

And when was the last time the US declared neutrality on anything?

Human rights?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

You think electing Trump over Clinton was a matter of national pride surging over business interests? I'd say exactly the opposite - donor money, and consequently votes, flowed to Trump because even though he's an obvious idiot and a mark of shame for the country, it's better for the rich if the Republicans hold power than the Democrats.

Of course that's not the case with Brexit, but Trump represented the party of business interests in the general election.

I think Trump getting the nomination in the first place was that.

Also are you saying the Democrats aren't the party of business interests?

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

oliwan posted:

the comments on that article btw are full of complaints about how rude it is when people talk to each other in public in a language that is not English, like on the street and in restaurants and on public transport

loving hell in what world do these people live?

I was in England in December with a cow-orker. We were sitting chatting on the train when a bunch of fairly drunk gammons heard our accents and started singing "You're going home, you're going home, you're going. Paddies gently caress off home" to the tune of Three Lions. I was born in the UK and lived there most of my life, but I figured explaining NI to them would be a lost cause.

My partner works in a Belfast call centre that handles UK-wide customer support for a big ISP. She doesn't answer calls directly but deals with complaints about the call centre service. Almost every day there'll be calls from English people who hear an Irish accent on the other end and immediately demand to be put through to someone who can speak the Queen's English. They've never had a call like this from a Scot.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

One time my mum (who doesn't live in the UK) called me while I was waiting on a bus to get home from work and we spoke in my native Czech, as one, you know, would; and this old woman leaned out of a window above me and screamed she's calling the police so that the immigration comes and gets me. I hastily went away after that beacuse gently caress getting detained by them even for a bit.

I've also had a number of both more and less overt complaints from neighbours about the same thing, that is hearing me on the phone, be it through a wall or on the street, speaking another language with my mum.

The level of UK cuntiness about foreign languages is simply astounding. And these were very middle class areas in major cities, too.

I've also had a drunk guy shout at me "what loving right do you have to be here" once.

e: All the same I kinda like Britain. Must be a masochist I guess.

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 19:38 on Feb 2, 2020

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

endlessmonotony posted:

I think Trump getting the nomination in the first place was that.

Fair point.

quote:

Also are you saying the Democrats aren't the party of business interests?

Relative to the Republicans, yes. If business interests had their way, the Republicans would win every time.

pdog
May 7, 2013

don’t hill-dog spend over a billion dollars

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Didn't Clinton spend several times more on electioneering than trmyp? Did I remember that wrong? The right wing media really did a number on her which is why I think ol' Bernie will lose as badly as John Corbyn. htbh

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GABA ghoul posted:

Didn't Clinton spend several times more on electioneering than trmyp? Did I remember that wrong? The right wing media really did a number on her which is why I think ol' Bernie will lose as badly as John Corbyn. htbh

Yeah, but Trump got a shitload of freebies from corporate media. Like, yeah, he didn't technically dollar-for-dollar buy his way in, but he was definitely a beneficiary of America's moneyed elite.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah Trump spent a lot less, but got loads of free coverage on the news channels because he was good for ratings

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

marktheando posted:

Yeah Trump spent a lot less, but got loads of free coverage on the news channels because he was good for ratings

That looks really bad for Bernie though. He isn't loud and dumb and he has no cable news channel on his side. How do you win an election like that? Didn't he even sexually harass a woman?

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Private Speech posted:

The level of UK cuntiness about foreign languages is simply astounding. And these were very middle class areas in major cities, too.

I apologise for all the fuckwits in our country on behalf of all the non-fuckwits.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
A bold new vision

Say it with me now:

The United Kingdom of England and Wales.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

GABA ghoul posted:

That looks really bad for Bernie though. He isn't loud and dumb and he has no cable news channel on his side. How do you win an election like that? Didn't he even sexually harass a woman?

He's unlikely to get the Democratic nomination anyway. I watched Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 11/9 a while back, and while it's obviously a very one-sided viewpoint, it was pretty damning on the dirty tricks the DNC deployed to get Clinton nominated last time. This time round the Dems seem to have concluded the reason Clinton lost is because she just wasn't centrist enough.

But yeah, if he somehow did get the nomination he'd be campaigning in the face of not just Fox News, but an all-out assault by every media outlet similar to what Corbyn faced.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Accretionist posted:

A bold new vision

Say it with me now:

The United Kingdom of England and Wales.

If we get the Isle of Man onboard we can use it as a staging post to liberate the less brokebrained parts of Wales.

Northern Ireland can also send some of the boys over to help Cornish separatists start an armed guerilla resistance.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Hey! Why are the Frogs still fishing in our waters now that Brexit has happened?

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Sanders is far better at dealing with a hostile press than Corbyn was, and the British media is an order of magnitude more contemptible than that of the US in the first place. And the westminster system means that the fact that tons of Labour politicians and apparatchiks hated his guts mattered in a way that just isn't applicable to the Sanders.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Huh, I had no idea baby Yoda was a tory

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Another important element of context that might not be apparent to those overseas: Hillary Clinton has been a reviled figure in the right-wing media for decades, with insane stories about her since Bill Clinton's election in 1992. She was the worst possible person to run against Trump, who has no compunctions about exploiting the worst rumors and reputations of his opponents. Bernie doesn't have that; before 2016 he was basically unknown outside the tiny state he represents.

Civilized Fishbot has issued a correction as of 23:49 on Feb 2, 2020

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

BMX Ninja posted:

I was in England in December with a cow-orker. We were sitting chatting on the train when a bunch of fairly drunk gammons heard our accents and started singing "You're going home, you're going home, you're going. Paddies gently caress off home" to the tune of Three Lions. I was born in the UK and lived there most of my life, but I figured explaining NI to them would be a lost cause.

My partner works in a Belfast call centre that handles UK-wide customer support for a big ISP. She doesn't answer calls directly but deals with complaints about the call centre service. Almost every day there'll be calls from English people who hear an Irish accent on the other end and immediately demand to be put through to someone who can speak the Queen's English. They've never had a call like this from a Scot.

I’m not saying your partner hasn’t experienced what she has, but I do a similar job and I’ve run into petty racists from every part of the UK. even more fun are the people who were born abroad and refuse to deal with anyone from their home country, who don’t have the ‘excuse’ of limited life experience.

there’s lovely people from everywhere, sorry.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Bernie is also the most popular politician in America (at least at his level of name recognition) by a good margin. corbyn and Clinton were among the least

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/kenchengcomedy/status/1223664226134384641?s=19

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
at best, indyref 2 could be used to devolve more powers to holyrood, and even that's unlikely

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

BMX Ninja posted:

He's unlikely to get the Democratic nomination anyway. I watched Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 11/9 a while back, and while it's obviously a very one-sided viewpoint, it was pretty damning on the dirty tricks the DNC deployed to get Clinton nominated last time. This time round the Dems seem to have concluded the reason Clinton lost is because she just wasn't centrist enough.

But yeah, if he somehow did get the nomination he'd be campaigning in the face of not just Fox News, but an all-out assault by every media outlet similar to what Corbyn faced.

Sorry, Bernie is going to win.