Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

I'm cynical af about blizzard, but if you told me a week ago that they'd have hosed w3r so hard, they'd also gently caress the original wc3 in the process, even I wouldn't have believed you.

I think when they merged the WC3 launch option to reforged/removed WC3 and Frozen Throne from the Blizz store last year was a red flag of things to come.

Half of Dracula posted:

They took down purchasing ROC or TFT and replaced it with pre-ordering reforged

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Escape Goat posted:

What I can't figure out is why they didn't remaster Diablo II.
All the guys who made d2 quit or were fired ~15 years ago. I'm sure a few workers merged in, but all of the decision makers were given the axe around 2005-2006. 2008 was the activision merger (kinda, 2006/2007 is when it started).

D2 is also a literal disaster in terms of behind the scenes systems. Messing with WC3's code is like going on a 2 hour long hike on a well-kept trail. D2's code is just bad, and with how people play games in a modern way they'd have to touch so many closed bnet related systems to get it even mildly acceptable. It's hack upon hack upon hack. The frontend changes aren't so clean either because the game doesn't use 3d models. It uses sprites, and the sprites were rendered from models. I'm not aware of how sophisticated their tech was to do this, but attempting to get an updated version of that to look good takes significantly more effort and work than wc3.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 3, 2020

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Zinkraptor posted:

What they should've done is just make it look like WoW, like literally everyone expected them to. There's a reason people say the art team carrying the game now - the art direction is still really good. They honestly could've just taken models for reforged characters directly out of WoW and it would've looked better.

For example, compare Thall's reforged model to his WoW model. Not so much talking about graphical fidelity as I am about artstyle here. I don't particularly like Thrall's BFA model and I still think it has way more character.

In the end the game is just incredibly ugly, which means it failed step 1 of being a remaster even before all of the bugs and cut content.

Edit: Remake, remaster, whatever. It has the same content so I'm calling it a "remaster" even if it's actually a "remake".

Or better yet, compare it to his Heroes of the Storm model. If they got the guys who did these to make WC3 reforged, it would be gorgeous.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

I’m going to be honest with you, l completely forgot HotS existed (I don’t play MOBAs), but yes that’s a very good example. It even has the RTS perspective, so we know it works with that.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'm still mad about Heroes of the Storm. :smith:

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

It looks like the international versions of the game got screwed over in several ways, either due to licensing issues or negligence on Blizzard's part.

French, German, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Polish versions (and more) got new voiceovers, some dramatically replacing how certain characters sound. (Source)

The Czech version voiceovers are no longer available in Reforged, possibly due to licensing issues with CDProjekt which were the original distributors.

So... if Blizzard's aim was nostalgia and "staying close to the original", that was definitely not done here.

But there's more... there's always more.

They also translated the names of everything, when previous versions might have kept the original English ones. To quote some Blizzard forum posts:

quote:

The worst part (beside those horrible unit sounds) is that the surnames got translated. For me one of the best things of Classic WoW is that there are still those old names like Warsongclan, Hellscream, Proudmoure. While the new voices for main characters like Thrall (why does his name btw never got translated in all the translating madness) are good too, the translated names make it just awful.

quote:

Absolutly, even in French we still got Bronzebeard and Hellscream and of course Frostmourne , but now its DeUilLeGiVRe… pls help X(

So, for example, in the original German version Uther Lightbringer was just that, in the new one he is now Uther der Lichtbringer.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Khorne posted:

All the guys who made d2 quit or were fired ~15 years ago. I'm sure a few workers merged in, but all of the decision makers were given the axe around 2005-2006. 2008 was the activision merger (kinda, 2006/2007 is when it started).

D2 is also a literal disaster in terms of behind the scenes systems. Messing with WC3's code is like going on a 2 hour long hike on a well-kept trail. D2's code is just bad, and with how people play games in a modern way they'd have to touch so many closed bnet related systems to get it even mildly acceptable. It's hack upon hack upon hack. The frontend changes aren't so clean either because the game doesn't use 3d models. It uses sprites, and the sprites were rendered from models. I'm not aware of how sophisticated their tech was to do this, but attempting to get an updated version of that to look good takes significantly more effort and work than wc3.

There's also the fact that you can't really touch D2 without giving it a biiiiig balance once-over on basically every mechanic in the game (literally everything from the 80-90% of useless skills to the rune drop rates, to stash size changes, etc.). Like D2 really just needs an overhaul, not better graphics. Hell, the graphics probably are one of the stronger points for D2 as it stands. This gets further complicated with any update to D2 basically being a ripoff of all the changes that already have been done in the big diablo mods like plugy or path of diablo and short of just formally wrapping them into the game, idk how they incorporate that without seeming disrespectful to the people who have maintained those mods for over a decade now. Notably, too, pretty much the entire modern playerbase of D2 is playing modded D2. Literally it's only speedrunners who play vanilla D2, though to be more precise, who have vanilla D2 installed---even they all play modded D2 outside of speedruns.

Basically there's no way to modernize it without risking doing the WCR thing where you alienate all the people still playing the game (which is a surprisingly large number of people, it's still a somewhat popular game).

On top of all that to remaster it and do anything with the online experience, they'd have to do a toooooon for the security unless they want it to be the wild west of people duping and exploiting and botting and apparently that's a nearly impossible task without devoting real resources and overhauling basically the entire legacy multiplayer code from the ground up.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

I've randomed into a few of the current "pro" scene matches and it's amusing seeing Cho'gall being top NA meta.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

There's also the fact that you can't really touch D2 without giving it a biiiiig balance once-over on basically every mechanic in the game (literally everything from the 80-90% of useless skills to the rune drop rates, to stash size changes, etc.). Like D2 really just needs an overhaul, not better graphics. Hell, the graphics probably are one of the stronger points for D2 as it stands. This gets further complicated with any update to D2 basically being a ripoff of all the changes that already have been done in the big diablo mods like plugy or path of diablo and short of just formally wrapping them into the game, idk how they incorporate that without seeming disrespectful to the people who have maintained those mods for over a decade now. Notably, too, pretty much the entire modern playerbase of D2 is playing modded D2. Literally it's only speedrunners who play vanilla D2, though to be more precise, who have vanilla D2 installed---even they all play modded D2 outside of speedruns.

Basically there's no way to modernize it without risking doing the WCR thing where you alienate all the people still playing the game (which is a surprisingly large number of people, it's still a somewhat popular game).

On top of all that to remaster it and do anything with the online experience, they'd have to do a toooooon for the security unless they want it to be the wild west of people duping and exploiting and botting and apparently that's a nearly impossible task without devoting real resources and overhauling basically the entire legacy multiplayer code from the ground up.

I play vanilla Diablo 2/LOD and I honestly had no idea there even was a mod scene until I saw your post

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
This guy has links to the installers and every patch for RoC and TFT. You still need legit CD-keys but if you've bought those from Blizzard, you still have access to them. This lets you play single player, comp stomps, and LAN without messing with any Reforged stuff.

Sticko
Nov 24, 2007
Outrageous Lumpwad
I still cannot believe they actually broke the ladder - basically the single most important thing in an rts.

Back in the day there was a huge uproar when they changed matchmaking to be mmr based rather that straight level/rank. But at least you could still play :(

Edit - I’m on phone at the moment so can’t check, but does that guy have 1.12 or 1.14 patch? I could never get a proper installer for either, and I still have a bunch of replays from both.

Sticko fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Feb 3, 2020

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Remember when it took Blizzard 7 years to implement "race unique mmr"

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Sticko posted:

Edit - I’m on phone at the moment so can’t check, but does that guy have 1.12 or 1.14 patch? I could never get a proper installer for either, and I still have a bunch of replays from both.

Nah, only the post-TFT patches.

Sticko
Nov 24, 2007
Outrageous Lumpwad

1stGear posted:

Nah, only the post-TFT patches.

They were relatively early tft patches. I believe last RoC patch was 1.05 (maybe 06??), but I think it was from before they started actually hosting stand alone patches

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
If I've been downloading off Battle.net like a chump, how do I downgrade my installs so I can play mods?

Sticko
Nov 24, 2007
Outrageous Lumpwad
I used to use wc3 version switcher, but swapped over to Warcraft Assistant a while back. That said, I've always had an old version (pre 1.27) that I've used for just watching old replays. So I have no idea whether it will still work with the current abomination.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

1stGear posted:

This guy has links to the installers and every patch for RoC and TFT. You still need legit CD-keys but if you've bought those from Blizzard, you still have access to them. This lets you play single player, comp stomps, and LAN without messing with any Reforged stuff.

jesus christ thank you for this I tried to reinstall the other day and it wants 30 gigs of harddrives space through battlenet wtf

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I thought 30 gigs was an exaggeration. It was not. :tviv:

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

DeadlyHalibut posted:

So, at the moment blizzard is giving automatic refunds if someone is regretting their choice.

I ended up refunding after playing like 20 missions since I keep getting CTDs. It gets really old playing the same part again after losing like 10 minutes of progress.

Someone in the Legal department finally got through the administrative morass and yelled at someone.

Only took them days and massive damage to their reputation, well done.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

HonorableTB posted:

I play vanilla Diablo 2/LOD and I honestly had no idea there even was a mod scene until I saw your post

Path of Diablo is worth a look, the server is super active right after a reset (like right now) and the game is basically Diablo 2 if devs had kept patching and balancing it for the past decade. Only a few new skills, but plenty of rebalancing of trash skills and items. Even a Raven build is viable, if not actually good.

The only thing that feels a bit "off" from classic LoD is certain skills synergize with Energy, which is a good idea (because the stat is otherwise still useless) but doesn't go far enough (only a few specific skills get any benefit).

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

It's been a while, but I seem to remember installing ROC and FT from CD's and it never asked for a key. The last patch I think I installed was 1.22, and it also didn't ask for a key.

What exactly asks for a key? I know you need one for battle.net but since you stay away from that now with the original client, do you still need CD keys to install later patches for the original client if you have iso images from the original CDs?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Telebite posted:

It's been a while, but I seem to remember installing ROC and FT from CD's and it never asked for a key. The last patch I think I installed was 1.22, and it also didn't ask for a key.

What exactly asks for a key? I know you need one for battle.net but since you stay away from that now with the original client, do you still need CD keys to install later patches for the original client if you have iso images from the original CDs?

If it's like SC, you need a key to access the Battle net features. So online

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Telebite posted:

When I went to install TFT 1.29 from the link above, the very first thing the installer did was ask for my ROC and TFT keys :shrug:

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

SirSamVimes posted:

same. HOTS was criminally underrated. i loved its relatively quick matches and game mechanics weren't insanely obtuse. by far the easiest moba to pick up and play without having to take a college-level course through youtube and twitch.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

same. HOTS was criminally underrated. i loved its relatively quick matches and game mechanics weren't insanely obtuse. by far the easiest moba to pick up and play without having to take a college-level course through youtube and twitch.
HotS came out at the wrong time, on the wrong game engine, and with a predatory monetization model. It also came out with the wrong acronym. The literal same acronym as another title Blizzard released at the same time.

The core gameplay of HotS was great and it was a real fun game.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 3, 2020

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Basically there's no way to modernize it without risking doing the WCR thing where you alienate all the people still playing the game (which is a surprisingly large number of people, it's still a somewhat popular game.
I don't think this particular part will be an obstacle for modern Blizzard. They relied on the community for many years when it came to fixing things in WC3, often doing shoutouts to the community in the patch notes. That still didn't stop them from ultimately dropping this massive pile of garbage on everyone with a patch that retroactively makes the game worse.

Diablo 2 will go the same way. Sure, D2 is even more of a nightmarish mess when it comes to "remastering" but I trust Blizzard to botch it successfully and piss off their most loyal fans in the process, somehow. It's what they do now.

No doubt LemonSky is already doing re-renders of HQ quality sprites as we speak...

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Khorne posted:

HotS came out at the wrong time, on the wrong game engine, and with a predatory monetization model. It also came out with the wrong acronym. The literal same acronym as another title Blizzard released at the same time.

The core gameplay of HotS was great and it was a real fun game.

completely agree. Blizzard was *way* too stingy with heroes. On paper, you would be nuts to not at least try DOTA 2 at the time HOTS came out. I got into hots like 2 or 3 years after it released and loved it.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Oh hey, someone made this: warcraft3refunded.com. I can appreciate when someone puts effort into a joke.

DMCA takedown in 3, 2, 1...

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

ErrEff posted:

Oh hey, someone made this: warcraft3refunded.com. I can appreciate when someone puts effort into a joke.

DMCA takedown in 3, 2, 1...

imagine being the complete scumsucker who reports that to legal for being too correct

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I got to the stratholme level last night. While moving uther said “what?” is completely pointless I think you guys are kind of overselling the impact it has on the conversation.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

imagine being the complete scumsucker who reports that to legal for being too correct

side note, you don't have PMs enabled. is there a way to get a hold of you via other means?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SirSamVimes posted:

Or better yet, compare it to his Heroes of the Storm model. If they got the guys who did these to make WC3 reforged, it would be gorgeous.

Yeah, I was gonna suggest HotS as an inspiration to. While the WoW models do strike a good balance in terms of realism vs. cartoonishness, they are meant to be seen at a larger scale and from a different perspective. The game would probably still look better if they just ported WoW assets directly into Reforged though.

What's surprising to me is that there wasn't some manager yelling about Brand IdentityTM, and forcing the WoW look on Reforged. Making these weird Cinematic Mod models instead of something they can visually tie into WoW just doesn't make sense from even a stereotypical business major perspective.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

side note, you don't have PMs enabled. is there a way to get a hold of you via other means?

My username with no spaces @gmail

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Thanks for the refund info from the reddit link. Just got my money back.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Just got my $30 bux back I’m kind of surprised it is automated. Not sure what I will do with it (I also stupidly preordered shadowlands). Maybe I’ll let it sit until they fix it (heh).

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Zarfol posted:

Just got my $30 bux back I’m kind of surprised it is automated. Not sure what I will do with it (I also stupidly preordered shadowlands). Maybe I’ll let it sit until they fix it (heh).

I got it via Blizzbucks and now I'm gonna wait and see what kind of a shitshow D4 is going to be.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Zarfol posted:

I've asked for a refund for that too.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
LMAO there's a surefire way to tell where Undead and Night Elf players start without using any hacks.

When you start a game look over at the gold mines. If one is missing then that is where your opponent started if they're Night Elf. Haunted gold mines still show up as default gold mines, but the blighted trees are visible through fog of war even though blight isn't

so:

Blighted trees + gold mine = UD base

No gold mine = NE base

Gold mine with no blighted trees = any of no spawn, HU spawn or Orc spawn.

both blighted trees and missing gold mines should keep being visible through fog throughout the game to know when an NE or UD has exposed.

Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6VqcERUK98

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

That is amazing lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Is there anything, anything at all with this thing that isnt broken?