Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Jay_Zombie posted:

If watching Steve Irwin has taught me anything, it's that that is the safest way to pick up a dangerous animal.

Crikey! Look that this bugger!
*picks up xeno by the tail*
Isn't he a beaaauuuuuty!
*inner jaw snaps at face*
Not that little mouth inside it's big mouth, that can punch through a human skull in one bite!!
*xeno impotently swipes with claws, just out of reach*
Look at those claws! They're razor sharp. You don't want those bad boys to get ahold of you.
*xeno hisses in frustration*
Now, normally these Xenomorphs live in a hive like community so it's safe to say that there's more of these babies creepy crawling around here somewhere, so we're going to let this one go an move on.
*gently lowers xeno back into the water where it, completely confused by what just happened, tentatively swims off*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Android Apocalypse posted:

Hah, being "saved" from Judge Dredd. I still have a soft spot for that Stallone film, but I also recognize it's a bloated mess.

"I knew you'd say that...."

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Yes!!!!! Yesssssss!!!!!

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
I'm rewatching the trilogy and today I found out the wife hasn't seen Aliens yet.

I popped that badboy in the dvd player and went with the director's cut. She found it better than Alien but was exhausted after it ended. I call it the Ebert-effect. You kind of forget how the tension stacks up and doesn't end till they get in the cryo-tubes.

Our re-viewing of The Thing went the same way, loved it, and it's cool to see the reaction of someone who hasn't rented those tapes a 100 times in their teens :kimchi:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Wowshawk posted:

I'm rewatching the trilogy and today I found out the wife hasn't seen Aliens yet.

I popped that badboy in the dvd player and went with the director's cut. She found it better than Alien but was exhausted after it ended. I call it the Ebert-effect. You kind of forget how the tension stacks up and doesn't end till they get in the cryo-tubes.

Our re-viewing of The Thing went the same way, loved it, and it's cool to see the reaction of someone who hasn't rented those tapes a 100 times in their teens :kimchi:

tbh the directors cut is too long. the pacing is all over the place

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Xenomrph posted:

The Anchorpoint Essays, named for Anchorpoint Station from the William Gibson Alien3 draft.

btw xeno is your email address still E.W.C.deVos@Student.twi.TUDelft.nl lol

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Owlbear Camus posted:

My dad (RIP) would always say "squint one eye" at titty scenes.

I am stealing this.

Out of respect, of course

But mostly because it's amazing.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Krankenstyle posted:

btw xeno is your email address still E.W.C.deVos@Student.twi.TUDelft.nl lol

I... no? :confused:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Owlbear Camus posted:

It is a great book, get it.

this was good advice thank you

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Now I'm thinking about Alien (the movie)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Learn yourself about the pulse rifle:

https://youtu.be/zDIPuP7T64Q

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

I'm the lack of any mention of AvP 2010

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I'm the lack of any mention of AvP 2010

It got a loose mention, but not by name; the video mentions Rebellion’s “trilogy” of AvP games (AVP for Jaguar, AvPClassic, and AvP2010).

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

It got a loose mention, but not by name; the video mentions Rebellion’s “trilogy” of AvP games (AVP for Jaguar, AvPClassic, and AvP2010).

Ah

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

It is supposedly caseless yet in every scene where it is fired casings get ejected.

Curious.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Owlbear Camus posted:

It is supposedly caseless yet in every scene where it is fired casings get ejected.

Curious.

There’s no caseless version of the Thompson SMG which makes up the core of the prop.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
They should edit and rerelease the film with the casings digitally edited out.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

There’s no caseless version of the Thompson SMG which makes up the core of the prop.

I know I'm just being a poo poo.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I love the M41A Pulse Rifle but I always :lol: at the 10mm ammo & having 99 rounds in a mag all that looks like it barely holds 40.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Has anyone ever tried the "fix" for Colonial Marines, where you change one character in the .ini file and it supposedly makes the alien AI better?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Android Apocalypse posted:

I love the M41A Pulse Rifle but I always :lol: at the 10mm ammo & having 99 rounds in a mag all that looks like it barely holds 40.

Since it's caseless best fan handwave is by 2179 they have a propellant that's way more potent than gunpowder so its just a tiny charge behind the bullet adding almost no mass. (Current caseless doesn't seem to save much overall volume versus a conventional cartridge) And then for that many in a stick mag like that it woild have to be some weird 2 deep triple stack.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

MrMojok posted:

Has anyone ever tried the "fix" for Colonial Marines, where you change one character in the .ini file and it supposedly makes the alien AI better?
its not a thing to be suspicious about. the original ini file has a typo that means the part of the alien behavior routine is never even loaded at all (the part is the level pathing that they pre-trained that makes the alien seem like it knows how to get around)
its basically
aliemhasbrains=true

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I'm not suspicious about it. I was wondering if it really makes a difference in the gameplay. I have the game in my Steam library but it's not installed, but I was thinking about giving it a whirl again if it really changes things for the better.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I tried one of the overhaul mods that supposedly included an AI fix but I couldn't figure out if it was THE fix, and the mod made it run like poo poo, so I got rid of it. Pretty sure I still have the game installed, maybe I'll try it and see what happens

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I am the grenade launcher, but I don't think you want to mess with that.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Dude, you started this, show us everything :biglips:

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Dude, you started this, show us everything :biglips:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I'm unironically gonna buy a pair of Reebok Bug Stompers if they release another wave of 'em on 4/26.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Alien in the dog collar is a “famous” Alien cosplayer who regularly goes to cons and stuff dressed as an Alien in a dog collar. He even got a shout-out in the Colonial Marines videogame by way of a dog collar unlockable cosmetic item for the basic Alien.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

The Alien in the dog collar is a “famous” Alien cosplayer who regularly goes to cons and stuff dressed as an Alien in a dog collar. He even got a shout-out in the Colonial Marines videogame by way of a dog collar unlockable cosmetic item for the basic Alien.

That's awesome.

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'd kill for a xenomorph costume. I think I'd just wear it around getting groceries and stuff.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
After revisiting Alien (still great) and Aliens (still super great), I decided to dive into Alien 3, which I haven't seen in at least 25 years.

I like the atmosphere and slower psychologically based approach in the first half, at least until things really go off the rails and it's time to start knocking off cast members. Charles Dance in particular is on loving fire up until his abrupt end. I liked how the first plan to draw it out with fire fails spectacularly. The final chase into the smelter was too repetitive and the "alien POV" shots just annoyed me after awhile.

The mix of proto-CGI with practical effects is jarring; any time the creature is in a static shot it looks great, but anything in motion just looks like garbage.

Did I hate the Ripley-as-host idea? Not in the abstract, but it's clumsily handled and the W-Y cleanup team coming in with OG Bishop is too abrupt and doesn't have the anti-corporate bite that Cameron gave Aliens.

Overall, it's...fine. Still better than everything that's come since. But, I can't help but assess it as ultimately inessential, the Solo of the Alien franchise. It's largely entertaining and well-made, but has an infuriating setup and a climax that runs out of gas well before its conclusion, making what should be an astounding sacrifice feel like a vaguely unsatisfying add-on. Which of course Whedon turns around and wrecks in the next movie anyway.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's unpopular to say now but I actually like some of the stuff Whedon has in Alien: Resurrection.

Like yes the movie is definitely a mess and the Proto-Firefly cast sucks, and the Newborn is terrible, but it does have some stuff people really take for granted.

• The scene with the various captives waking up over facehugger eggs is great terror and a chilling realization of what W-Y had been implicitly threatening to do for 3 movies.
  • Brad Dourif's stuff and the Xenos using a third's acid blood to escape is well-conceived.
  • The scene with Ripley's clones works purely in isolate, even if the whole "Ripley/Queen hybrid" idea is dumb af. If they had nixed making her superhuman it would have worked.
  • Swimming Xenos is a logical action beat we hadn't seen before, unless you count that one scene with Newt.
  • Winona Ryder's Android character feels like a fresh take, even with Whedon's usual pixie-bait covering the outer layers

The movie still sucks, but it's not some total abysmal wash and Whedon isn't some irredeemable trash fire of a writer on it like a lot of people claim.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Feb 4, 2020

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mind the walrus posted:

It's unpopular to say now but I actually like some of the stuff Whedon has in Alien: Resurrection.

Like yes the movie is definitely a mess and the Proto-Firefly cast sucks, and the Newborn is terrible, but it does have some stuff people really take for granted.

• The scene with the various captives waking up over facehugger eggs is great terror and a chilling realization of what W-Y had been implicitly threatening to do for 3 movies.
  • Brad Dourif's stuff and the Xenos using a third's acid blood to escape is well-conceived.
  • The scene with Ripley's clones works purely in isolate, even if the whole "Ripley/Queen hybrid" idea is dumb af. If they had nixed making her superhuman it would have worked.
  • Swimming Xenos is a logical action beat we hadn't seen before, unless you count that one scene with Newt.
  • Winona Ryder's Android character feels like a fresh take, even with Whedon's usual pixie-bait covering the outer layers

The movie still sucks, but it's not some total abysmal wash and Whedon isn't some irredeemable trash fire of a writer on it like a lot of people claim.
I think I said this before, but the 3 director's cut is a decent film with some terrible flaws while 4 is a terrible film with some decent highlights.

Though even those highlights are just good ideas, the implementation is... very Whedon. Going to outright laugh at you for putting Call's "arc" as a highlight though :v:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

If I can keep my mouth shut about fans unironically thinking David is a good character worth two movies of focus, y'all can deal with someone out there being a fan of Call :smug:

And yeah the implementation is fairly Whedon, but that's not necessarily a bad thing... except when it is. I don't know I like his best work, sue me. I'd take a million of his 3.5 wall-breaking melodrama monologues and quips over another crop of portentous pontification on the meaning of humanity.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mind the walrus posted:

If I can keep my mouth shut about fans unironically thinking David is a good character worth two movies of focus,
Why on earth would you do that

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The joy of busting middlebrows insisting "you just didn't get it" died out around the time of the second Matrix

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

If I can keep my mouth shut about fans unironically thinking David is a good character worth two movies of focus, y'all can deal with someone out there being a fan of Call :smug:

There are people who don't like Call?

You probably missed it because it was many pages ago, but this thread is all about Call.

Also, David sucks.

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

movie still sucks, but it's not some total abysmal wash and Whedon isn't some irredeemable trash fire of a writer on it like a lot of people claim.

Whedon was great in the early aughties when his trademark quippy dialogue was legitimately a fresh style of writing.

Unfortunately it turned into a "let's run this poo poo into the ground" phenomenon where now every character in any kind of genre show is constantly trading one-liners and they lose their "voice" which has made a lot of people, me included, resent it. It's like getting ice cream for every meal, fun at first but eventually you would kill for even a cheese samwich.

One show I've really been enjoying and recommend and will be stealing plot elements from for my Aliens TTRPG game is The Expanse. I just now realized one of the things I like about it is there's the occasional oneliner or straight line setup payoff joke, but it's the spice instead of the main course. The characters aren't constantly doing a Bit, mostly they just talk plainly about what's going on and what they want to do about it in a way informed by their character and motivations.