Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Dante80 posted:

Btw...that is supposed to be a smear. lol

Ono we must all change our votes so we don't get the guy offering.... things we want! Checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Getting a lot of questions already answered by my “not doomed” tshirt.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Joe Biden is a demented man who is an active threat to everyone.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1224320131419058176?s=20

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
The difference between Bernie's situation and Corbyn/UK Labour's situation is that Bernie is a good politician, whereas Corbyn is a terrible politician. Evidenced at least in part by the fact that one's approval ratings are good and the other's were historically bad.

Also Brexit was an almost impossible issue to overcome in the last election.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

All these sore loser articles coming out ahead of the Iowa Caucus make me hopeful that Bernie won't just win, he will annihilate the competition.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

These statements don't follow.

https://twitter.com/livvellis/status/1224001954373869570

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I don't think the results of a parliamentary election is some minor European country matter at all to the US primaries.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Nothing makes me more depressed than knowing that the fate of billions of people and the freedom (or lack thereof) in the american sphere of influence hinges entirely on a bunch of midwesterners gathering in a mediocre school gym.

PLEASE WIN BERNIE PLEEEEASASSAEEEEE

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Junior G-man posted:

They're already talking about impeaching him. He desperately wants it to be 1976 again.

exquisite tea posted:

All these sore loser articles coming out ahead of the Iowa Caucus make me hopeful that Bernie won't just win, he will annihilate the competition.

I hope so. Hopefully leadership has some internals or something that show Bernie way ahead, so they're trying to set expectations to the moderates.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I feel quite guilty for not being in Iowa driving people to caucus today....

Carew
Jun 22, 2006

Junior G-man posted:

He's right, though. He will get Republicans to work with him on destroying Social Security.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Carew posted:

He's right, though. He will get Republicans to work with him on destroying Social Security.

He will try... The question is if the D's in congress would line up behind him.

I mean there is also zero chance he would beat Trump anyway.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Were we this anxious going into the 2018 midterm elections?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

mcmagic posted:

He will try... The question is if the D's in congress would line up behind him.

I mean there is also zero chance he would beat Trump anyway.

Would the democratic establishment follow the lead of a president they helped to elect? :iiam:

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/FiveThirtyEight/status/1224331424402235392

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Someone made a joke yesterday about the DNC calling up Chris Dodd. Well timed.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

NOTHING IS CERTAIN. FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Yes. If not more so. There weren’t a lot of polls to make us feel much better. And even the ones that were good we didn’t trust because of 2016.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

mcmagic posted:

I feel quite guilty for not being in Iowa driving people to caucus today....

ugh same, I literally can't go since I'm in Texas and have work and don't drive and poo poo but I still feel like I should do more than phone banking. Stupid passionate volunteers raising the bar :argh:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

My ideal scenario:

1. Sanders
2. Buttigieg
3. Biden
4. Warren

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Grouchio posted:

We're always this anxious. We're loving sick.

Difference with the midterms is that the results kept trickling in over the course of two weeks.

We'll all reach orgasm simultaneously tonight.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

kidkissinger posted:

My ideal scenario:

1. Sanders
2. Buttigieg
3. Biden
4. Warren

yea sadly I think it'll be Sanders/Warren/Biden but I'd love it if this was not only a win for Bernie and also a knock out of Warren

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/ninaturner/status/1224332961237159936?s=21

Not a huge surprise but an important endorsement nonetheless. Must have killed The Root to have to write that story.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I wasn't anxious at all going into the midterms. The Dems had a constant near double digit polling lead. It was more a question of how badly the GOP would get washed in the House.

If Sanders had a double digit lead in every state it'd already be over.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

ArbitraryC posted:

The focus on the first state of a primary really feels like a shortcoming of the general process. I've read a couple pieces around online that are basically "why iowa, well why not iowa?" but they all seem to propose the only possible solution is simply picking a different fixed order. The entire argument is "if not iowa, then who else". And it's like I dunno, we don't do it state by state in the full on election, clearly there are other hypothetical ways to do it.

Maybe I'm just a tad bitter cause I'm in WA and our primary might as well not exist but it's like drat how has this not been addressed? If state by state is necessary, do a lottery, if not, do it at once, current system blows.

They should rank the states based on how their population represents the US as a whole, and go in that order.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Mahoning posted:

Yes. If not more so. There weren’t a lot of polls to make us feel much better. And even the ones that were good we didn’t trust because of 2016.
Then the 2019 UK Elections reaaaaaally are loving with my brain. :mets:

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

Lumpy posted:

They should rank the states based on how their population represents the US as a whole, and go in that order.

You do realize that it will be more likely that they would go with the lowest population first?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Harrow posted:

Something like 50% of Yang supporters report Bernie as their second choice. Apparently it's the Tulsi fans who are most likely to just go home.

That's because Tulsi fans are alt-right chuds in a poor disguise

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lumpy posted:

If the primaries were ranked in order of how closely they represented the entire US based on age, median income, racial background and education then the first four states would be Illinois, Kansas, Arizona, and Pennsylvania.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Grouchio posted:

Then the 2019 UK Elections reaaaaaally are loving with my brain. :mets:

it's important to remember the UK elections were a hopeful thing, Labour was always behind in the polls to begin with, the crushing bit was how far behind they turned out to be. Sanders is up and caucus systems are terrible but they DO favor candidates like Sanders with passionate fans and all. Don't be complacent but also it's okay to have hope.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Luckyellow posted:

You do realize that it will be more likely that they would go with the lowest population first?

They should go in order of most corn, because imaginary land divisions are clearly more important than human votes in our electoral system.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Biden's brain is s melting popsicle :psyduck:

What the gently caress does that even mean?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
what time and on what website do I need to hammer F5 for the latest results tonight?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Cpt_Obvious posted:

They should go in order of most corn, because imaginary land divisions are clearly more important than human votes in our electoral system.

"Votes" themselves should be replaced with corncobs. Those with access to more corncobs get a larger say in who wins. Legal ownership of the cobs is not required, just run into the fields and start picking

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

TulliusCicero posted:

The snake has always symbolised forbidden temptations in the Abrahamic religions...

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

everyone, please give bernie your energy

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BabyFur Denny posted:

what time and on what website do I need to hammer F5 for the latest results tonight?

like, not till like 8 central, and probably literally any major news site, it's kinda big news!

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Really looking forward to people remembering there's voting happening and Kramering into the thread to remind everyone about the Jeremy Corbyn guy and how people were hopeful for him, remember that, huh? Do ya?

And double looking forward to the indignant huffing when those same posters get told that the two elections have no material circumstances in common unless it turns out Iowans have strong opinions on Brexit.

TulliusCicero posted:

Girls are crazy and PMS amirite fellas?!?!

He's trying to talk about the difficulty of raising young girls transitioning into teenagers but he's Biden and doesn't think of women as people so he ends up talking about it in the cringiest way possible.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I read a suggestion, which makes sense to me, that DC should have an early primary. It's more diverse and solidly Democratic, as well as urban, unlike Iowa and New Hampshire. Plus, having to actually spend time in DC campaigning and talking to residents might make the candidates more aware of its needs and concerns.