Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

two more pages

actually, let's disrupt the cycle

y'all i've decided triss is best, prove me wrong

You god drat traitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
What's the infanticide about, throwing the baby in the oven? Or something with the crones/the tree that I'm forgetting?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

If you kill the tree spirit, a bunch of children get sacrificed to the Crones.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

After seeing what most of the adults turn into in The World of The Witcher, I'm not super against purging some children.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

two more pages

actually, let's disrupt the cycle

y'all i've decided triss is best, prove me wrong

One page off, but close

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

motoh posted:

Oh. Oh no, that's now how Blood & Wine was supposed to end at all.

Both sisters died.

:smith:

No, that's the most Witcher-y ending. The "Good" one is way too happy skippy for the world of the Witcher and kinda flies in the face of the entire expansion's ongoing theme of "there is no clear cut good and evil, and these stories rarely have perfectly happy endings."

It does make me sad that there's no option for one sister to be executed while the other lives on with the guilt, though.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I actually like that, after three games of bleakness, Geralt can finally close a case with a good ending and retire. It's a good sendoff for the character.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

I actually like that, after three games of bleakness, Geralt can finally close a case with a good ending and retire. It's a good sendoff for the character.

Yeah but Siyanna is a piece of poo poo and doesn't deserve it. She's a nice country to Olgierd in that he had a good life, wasted it, and feels remorse, whereas she had a good life, had it turned to poo poo, and became an unrepentant sociopath.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Siyanna is Geralt's second chance with how he dealt with Renfri.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I still think it was too jarring to place the Shrek fantasy-land right after the massacre in Touissant.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Staltran posted:

What's the infanticide about, throwing the baby in the oven? Or something with the crones/the tree that I'm forgetting?

The baby in the oven thing though, I never understood

The premise to the whole thing is both Geralt and Cerys both know they're tricking the demon thing. They have a whole conversation about it "you have to trust me without hesitation" etc. If you know it's a trick the demon will know and it won't work.

Then later she runs into the house and is like here Geralt toss this baby in the oven. For SURE he knows this is part of the trick and trusts her, but it works anyway.

Anyway it's a fun quest but that always bothered me.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

he knows that they're tricking the demon but he isn't aware that he's not literally throwing a baby in the oven

is that spoilers?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah but it's funny because it looks exactly like a drat baby. It's not a doll. Maybe she found some peasant's kid?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Mike the TV posted:

Yeah but it's funny because it looks exactly like a drat baby. It's not a doll. Maybe she found some peasant's kid?

i figured there was just a hole in the back of the oven she pulled it out of before it got overcooked

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 3, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nah it's really a baby. It's just that there's a second opening to the oven in the guest room behind the main hall.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Joey Freshwater posted:

The baby in the oven thing though, I never understood

The premise to the whole thing is both Geralt and Cerys both know they're tricking the demon thing. They have a whole conversation about it "you have to trust me without hesitation" etc. If you know it's a trick the demon will know and it won't work.

Then later she runs into the house and is like here Geralt toss this baby in the oven. For SURE he knows this is part of the trick and trusts her, but it works anyway.

Anyway it's a fun quest but that always bothered me.

Because Geralt doesn't know how Cerys's trick will work, or even if she's not really throwing the baby to die, Geralt feels genuine guilt. Just because he trusts Cerys doesn't mean he doesn't also second guess himself. This is why the trick worked.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

Nah it's really a baby. It's just that there's a second opening to the oven in the guest room behind the main hall.

This. You can even find it before the whole scene unfolds.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

baby can have little a oven time, as a treat

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
What we should really wonder about is why Geralt felt the need to Quen lock that oven after chucking the kid in.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I cant believe the Baron tries to fob us with one story for the price of two. Why does the middle story end in a cliffhanger? Does he think we'd believe he dies in a flashback?

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 3, 2020

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

motoh posted:

What we should really wonder about is why Geralt felt the need to Quen lock that oven after chucking the kid in.

Because there were like 4 dudes in the room diving at the oven to get the baby out. At least he commited.

The real question is why'd he have to kill the dudes

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Joey Freshwater posted:

That's the part of the quest I didn't like. Before the cameraman can jump out of the bushes and scream "it's just a prank, bro" you've murdered multiple people.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hommando posted:

That's the part of the quest I didn't like. Before the cameraman can jump out of the bushes and scream "it's just a prank, bro" you've murdered multiple people.

Well they attacked first so it’s not really murder you see.

Vikings had an equivalent of weregild right? Technically Cerys could take care of that I guess?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

hobbesmaster posted:

Well they attacked first so it’s not really murder you see.

It would be great if you could Axii yourself out of those situations though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Axii usually doesn’t work on groups and I’m guessing the devs didn’t want to put in options that would be guaranteed failures?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Staltran posted:

Someone, while arguing tree vs crones, said that the tree kills all the people in the village, which undoubtedly kills children as well. But the children in the village are well cared for, while the orphans living with the crones are certainly doomed to die even if they don't go with the crones anyway, since they are only sent to the crones because their family doesn't want or can't feed them.

Thus, the net utility of the crones is superior to that of the tree spirit.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

hobbesmaster posted:

Axii usually doesn’t work on groups and I’m guessing the devs didn’t want to put in options that would be guaranteed failures?

Geralt uses axii on groups from time to time. :D

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Does it ever work other than knocking one person out of the combat?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Because there were like 4 dudes in the room diving at the oven to get the baby out. At least he commited.

I could be misremembering, but I'm pretty sure that stuff's on a timer, so you could just parry them for a minute until the next phase kicks in. Not that the game ever indicates it in any way, so yeah, your first time through you're probably gonna murder some guards for the crime of Not Letting You Murder A Baby.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

hobbesmaster posted:

Well, I meant Axii one dudes mid-combat. Wait until you can cast Axii again, get the other dude. Make that possible.

Someone, while arguing tree vs crones, said that the tree kills all the people in the village, which undoubtedly kills children as well. But the children in the village are well cared for, while the orphans living with the crones are certainly doomed to die even if they don't go with the crones anyway, since they are only sent to the crones because their family doesn't want or can't feed them.

I don't recall any dead children bodies in the village so, since I thoughtlessly released a malevolent tree, I will just assume the kids all got away.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I'm looking for the herbalist who lives just outside the northeast gate of Novigrad and he's...just not there. I know he lived hear last time I played this game (ages ago), but I can't remember if I did anything to make him arrive, or freed him from somewhere. I need some recipes!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

are you sure you're not mistakenly thinking of the herbalist who lives a bit northeast of oxenfurt

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

I'm looking for the herbalist who lives just outside the northeast gate of Novigrad and he's...just not there. I know he lived hear last time I played this game (ages ago), but I can't remember if I did anything to make him arrive, or freed him from somewhere. I need some recipes!

It’s Oxenfurt’s Novigrad gate, not Novigrad’s Oxenfurt gate.

If this is confusing don’t try navigating roads in Europe without a satnav :v:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Plus the Crimes get theirs later on. So congrats to geralt for shattering the crones hold over Velen and also killing their mother so only whispess is left and lacking any control.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Arcsquad12 posted:

Plus the Crimes get theirs later on. So congrats to geralt for shattering the crones hold over Velen and also killing their mother so only whispess is left and lacking any control.

ACTUALLY, there's only one ending where all of the Crones die.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Wait is it controversial that sparing Gaetan was a bad choice

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

depends, what do you think about sparing letho

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Cowcaster posted:

depends, what do you think about sparing letho

He is strong and cool and my friend

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Wolfsheim posted:

Wait is it controversial that sparing Gaetan was a bad choice

It was pretty clear he was going to keep doing this so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
I like Geralt's justification if you choose to spare him. It's also funny because not only do you find more trophy heads of his (that Geralt supposes that he also could not sell) in the cat hideaway, but you can also get a trophy for Roach in HoS that originally came from him as well. Poor guy never gets paid.