Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
The seraphim and cannonness box are certain to both include inferno pistols. The character is going to be a £25 box to include all the options i reckon.

Speaking of, stopping the sisters releases half way through is very annoying. Especially as the main HQ option for the army is currently only available in the big box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Canoness Veridyan is still available, but for some reason doesn't pop up if you filter for SoB HQ on the website.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Gaussian posted:

Some Sisters questions:
1. So with the changes to Mortifiers, are they worth taking now? It seems like they'd be good at taking out hordes but would quickly get blown up.

2. Can a Sister/Dominion/Celestian Superior take a Simulacrum? The rules say one Sister/Dominion/Celestian can take it and a Superior certainly falls into that category. I'd also think that makes sense fluff wise since these are supposed to be holy, revered objects.

3. Am I missing something or are there no sisters w/ inferno pistols models available yet? Why would GW allow that when the models aren't even released yet (I know the answer is money but what the hell)?

1. I'm not sure if there's a consensus on that yet. I know I haven't decided, but I'm leaning towards "They seem decent, but compete for heavy slots that are better"

2. No. If you look at the data sheet "Battle Sister" and "Sister Superior" are different entries for the models that compose the unit. Only an actual "Battle Sister" has the option to take a simulacrum (or a meltagun, for that matter)

3. The metal canoness model came with an inferno pistol. I know, that doesn't help much, but they have historically always had access to the weapons but no models despite them often being a good choice. I'm just glad they didn't get removed. Hopefully, they'll come with seraphim and the canoness but it might be worth noting that one did not come in the battle sister box despite it being a valid choice for a sister superior still. Perhaps the canoness will be a combo canoness/sister superior, since there's going to be a dearth of superiors with all the 5 woman squads being made from boxes of 10

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Mortifiers are absolutely worth it. One Morti with a pair of flails punts out 15 S:6 attacks alone, a max squad of four is capable of mincing anything short of a Knight. And that's before you factor in being able to strat them to run/charge and give them support.

Between them and Exorcists, Spearheads are a viable option for SoBs.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Are pulse pistols worth it on fire warriors?

Is there ever a good reason to take fire warriors in a squad larger than 5?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

So quick question- Nobz with big choppas or two choppas?

I think the extra attacks for the 2x choppas may outweigh the +2 str and AP -1 however I’d like other opinions

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

OhDearGodNo posted:

I think the extra attacks for the 2x choppas may outweigh the +2 str and AP -1 however I’d like other opinions

I think big choppas are going to be more useful honestly. Against a marine you're going to see better returns from wounding on 3 and forcing a 4+ save. Your other boys can poo poo out massed regular attacks.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

OhDearGodNo posted:

I think power stabbas are the most point efficient, especially compared to big choppas. Less points, 1 better AP, and S5 is just as good at wounding marines as S7.

If your goal is to go after armor then you'll want to go full can-opener with Power Klaws or Killsaws.

JBP posted:

I think big choppas are going to be more useful honestly. Against a marine you're going to see better returns from wounding on 3 and forcing a 4+ save. Your other boys can poo poo out massed regular attacks.

Nobs are Strength 5.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Thanks all, here’s the funky thing: Nobz being STR 5 that still puts them at 7, and so against T4 there’s no real difference.

This is nuts:

2 choppas give more attacks but at standard.

Big choppa gets AP -1 but 2 D
Stabba gets AP -2 but only 1 D

The 2 damage is almost winning out for the points only in that each unsaved wound erases a primaris right?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

goose willis posted:

Are pulse pistols worth it on fire warriors?

Is there ever a good reason to take fire warriors in a squad larger than 5?

1) no.

2) yes. Marginally harder to score kill more against, and 36 S5 shots on Overwatch hitting on 5s per squad can be surprisingly painful.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

OhDearGodNo posted:

Thanks all, here’s the funky thing: Nobz being STR 5 that still puts them at 7, and so against T4 there’s no real difference.

This is nuts:

2 choppas give more attacks but at standard.

Big choppa gets AP -1 but 2 D
Stabba gets AP -2 but only 1 D

The 2 damage is almost winning out for the points only in that each unsaved wound erases a primaris right?

I'd say that would be a call based on your meta. If there's a ton of primaris you'll be going against the 2D attacks will be worth the extra points, but wasted against 1 wound targets.

Regarding min vs max fire warriors: FTGG is a thing, so two min squads being near each other will get the same number of overwatch shots as a 10 squad. Fire warriors are also dirt cheap on points. So min squads help you get multiple battalions for minimal investment.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
FTGG also wipes any additional overwatch the squad could do for the rest of the phase if the first charge fails or the unit is destroyed.

It's not a distinction that comes up every game but it's less black and white than min squads good/big squads bad.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Are Tyranid armies dissolved and digested back into the acid vats after a battle?

Like let’s say a tyranid army conquers world X, do all the bugs hop back onto the space ship and hop into the acid pools?

Is there just a big pool of organic material waiting, and when enemies are encountered the bugs create a new customized army?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

Are Tyranid armies dissolved and digested back into the acid vats after a battle?

Like let’s say a tyranid army conquers world X, do all the bugs hop back onto the space ship and hop into the acid pools?

Is there just a big pool of organic material waiting, and when enemies are encountered the bugs create a new customized army?

Not after a battle, but after they've "won" and the entire planet's biomass has been consumed by Tyranids, yes, they all return to the acid vats to be dismantled down to raw elements to power the hive fleets and carry all that bio-mass to the next planet, to spawn new tyranids.

Exactly.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Zaphod42 posted:

Not after a battle, but after they've "won" and the entire planet's biomass has been consumed by Tyranids, yes, they all return to the acid vats to be dismantled down to raw elements to power the hive fleets and carry all that bio-mass to the next planet, to spawn new tyranids.

Exactly.

Further to this the latest fluff for the genestealer cults is that they don't actually know this. Maybe the magus does but even the hybrids think they are going to ascend or some poo poo, then they get melted in acid pools and sucked up to the hive ship lol

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Kitchner posted:

Further to this the latest fluff for the genestealer cults is that they don't actually know this. Maybe the magus does but even the hybrids think they are going to ascend or some poo poo, then they get melted in acid pools and sucked up to the hive ship lol

Some are cool with this but most are not and are driven to escape on ships to restart the cycle over generations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kitchner posted:

The first GSC codex had a frankly disturbing bit of fluff about a cultist who goes to meet with his "beautiful child" (a genestealer) and is torn apart by them as the Hive Fleet is landing.

PierreTheMime posted:

Some are cool with this but most are not and are driven to escape on ships to restart the cycle over generations.

And this is what makes the cult so effective and insidious.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 5, 2020

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Kitchner posted:

Joining a galaxy spanning psychic hive mind of infinite possibility is kinda ascending, even if the process is, uhm, unpleasant. I mean, it’s not the individualistic ego-apotheosis which our modern ultra narcissism says it should be; where we are the one individual god and everyone else has to worships us, but it is ascension none the less!

E: I’m ready, take me star father

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Zaphod42 posted:

Exactly.

To add to this, most tyranid special characters are just builds that the hive mind has found to be effective enough to warrant saving the template. Game balance is stopping it but there’s nothing fluffside to stop a hive mind from shutting out 20-30 Old One Eye’s to take a planet.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
I feel like the templates when spawned have enough awareness where if two drop next to each other they would immediately try to kill the other to be the apex form like two splinters meeting and duking it out till the strongest remains.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

For_Great_Justice posted:

I feel like the templates when spawned have enough awareness where if two drop next to each other they would immediately try to kill the other to be the apex form like two splinters meeting and duking it out till the strongest remains.

'Nids that get names also get huuuuge egos and don't react well to seeing another one of themself

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

To add to this, most tyranid special characters are just builds that the hive mind has found to be effective enough to warrant saving the template. Game balance is stopping it but there’s nothing fluffside to stop a hive mind from shutting out 20-30 Old One Eye’s to take a planet.

This came up a few pages ago and I liked the explanation that situations for effective tyranid strategies end up perpetuating. There was only one Old One Eye so the hive mind just recreates one of them.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

moths posted:

Canoness Veridyan is still available, but for some reason doesn't pop up if you filter for SoB HQ on the website.

Isn’t she finecast?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Joining a galaxy spanning psychic hive mind of infinite possibility is kinda ascending, even if the process is, uhm, unpleasant. I mean, it’s not the individualistic ego-apotheosis which our modern ultra narcissism says it should be; where we are the one individual god and everyone else has to worships us, but it is ascension none the less!

If you want to become one with a galaxy-spanning psychic mind of infinite possibility, the Emperor is right there and doesn't require you to make out with any Xenos, citizen. :colbert:

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

JackMann posted:

Missed this when you posted it. Thank you! I'm hoping it keeps everything entertaining enough to go through when the actual gameplay isn't too exciting.

Also, I finished the rest of my 600 point list for this coming weekend:

The Captain with grav armor, Primaris Lieutenant with Stalker Bolt Rifle, three five-man intercessor squads, and the redemptor dread. Now that I'm up to six units instead of three, I'm probably not going to be going first as often, so I'm going to need to start being a lot smarter with cover.

Would you mind sharing a closer picture of the captain's sword? I'm having a hell of a time getting an effect that I like on mine and I think I might like to steal that, albeit in more of a blue/teal to compliment my salamanders (which are eventually going to get finished).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

JackMann posted:

I have faith in you. You will get that head painted. If not tomorrow, then soon. You've got this.

I didn't quite finish today but I made progress

I need to layer/highlight the skin on the face, paint a lens on the eyepiece, and paint the feather. But those are just a couple finishing touches and basically done!

Definitely the best model I've painted yet.

Jay-Roden
Jul 22, 2018

My leg is hungry.

Blood for the Blood God!
Skulls for the Skull Throne!
I have been lurking in the wh40k lore for a long while now and want to get my hands dirty with the the tabletop game and i want to try giving kill team or 1k games a shot, I have been leaning towards admech but also want to try thousand sons and death guard. I wanted to see if anyone plays on tabletop simulator and would be will to teach a newbie, I have a general understanding from watching youtube games and some reading but outside of a very one sided game (which i was trying to shoot one big dude the hole time that never died) which I had 100% zero idea what I was doing but out side of that I'm still fairly lost.

p.s. sorry for my terrible grammar I am a lurker more than a poster.

Jay-Roden fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 5, 2020

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Hellburger99 posted:

Would you mind sharing a closer picture of the captain's sword? I'm having a hell of a time getting an effect that I like on mine and I think I might like to steal that, albeit in more of a blue/teal to compliment my salamanders (which are eventually going to get finished).

No problem!

Here's the guide I followed.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

JackMann posted:

No problem!

Here's the guide I followed.

I have to say the shading/glazing with a medium to create that sort of faded effect is something I'm really struggling with, so if anyone has any tips I'd be really grateful.

I've been trying to use the GW tutorial for power swords which is essentially: Stegadon Scale Green base, and then you sort of just shade into quarters using sotek green, thunder hawk blue, another blue, and then ulthan grey I think.

I can actually do the sotek green so it looks like it fades in, but I find as soon as I've done that one the other colours either take a million years to build up, or I put one layer on and it ruins the effect by being too strong. I guess I'm having trouble get the right consistency.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Hivefleet Evangelion looking good

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Jay-Roden posted:

I have been lurking in the wh40k lore for a long while now and want to get my hands dirty with the the tabletop game and i want to try giving kill team or 1k games a shot, I have been leaning towards admech but also want to try thousand sons and death guard. I wanted to see if anyone plays on tabletop simulator and would be will to teach a newbie, I have a general understanding from watching youtube games and some reading but outside of a very one sided game (which i was trying to shoot one big dude the hole time that never died) which I had 100% zero idea what I was doing but out side of that I'm still fairly lost.

p.s. sorry for my terrible grammar I am a lurker more than a poster.

I would strongly recommend Thousand Sons as a starter. Their Start Collecting box is a fantastic value (it includes Ahriman!) and with their new rules they have some really interesting/fun/powerful tricks, whereas AdMech are a very static gun line. They can be good, but they’re the Imperial Tau equivalent and might not be terribly interesting to start.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

PierreTheMime posted:

I would strongly recommend Thousand Sons as a starter. Their Start Collecting box is a fantastic value (it includes Ahriman!) and with their new rules they have some really interesting/fun/powerful tricks, whereas AdMech are a very static gun line. They can be good, but they’re the Imperial Tau equivalent and might not be terribly interesting to start.

Thousand Sons are a pretty tricky army compared to admech and I think admech are fun to play, however the Thousand Sons box is super value and comes with nothing but good poo poo so I agree.

I'm really tempted to get a Thousand Sons box I need to stop myself regularly.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

JBP posted:

Thousand Sons are a pretty tricky army compared to admech and I think admech are fun to play, however the Thousand Sons box is super value and comes with nothing but good poo poo so I agree.

I'm really tempted to get a Thousand Sons box I need to stop myself regularly.

To be fair the Start Collecting AdMech box is fantastic as well. A Dominus, 2x5 Skitarii, and an Onager is viable right out of the box. As much as I love AdMech I find them dry tactically. They’re great to combine into other Imperial forces though.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

PierreTheMime posted:

To be fair the Start Collecting AdMech box is fantastic as well. A Dominus, 2x5 Skitarii, and an Onager is viable right out of the box. As much as I love AdMech I find them dry tactically. They’re great to combine into other Imperial forces though.

Probably also only fair to assume AdMech will likely no longer be 'tactically dry' come April, if that affects decisions at all.....

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

PierreTheMime posted:

Yeah I agree, only downside is the admech box is maybe 300pts at a push versus ~500 for the Thousand Sons which is a very cost friendly starter.

I'm going to get a Night Lords FW transfer sheet for my 40k Not Lords marines because chapter customiser absolutely hosed me out of my money and time. I hope people don't bag me for making loyal literal night lords but whatever the alternate pads and poo poo I wanted aren't gettable.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

JBP posted:

Yeah I agree, only downside is the admech box is maybe 300pts at a push versus ~500 for the Thousand Sons which is a very cost friendly starter.

I'm going to get a Night Lords FW transfer sheet for my 40k Not Lords marines because chapter customiser absolutely hosed me out of my money and time. I hope people don't bag me for making loyal literal night lords but whatever the alternate pads and poo poo I wanted aren't gettable.

'loyal' Nightlords often weren't too visually distinct from traitor Nightlords (save but for ones that accepted chaos boons, which was even still looked down upon in some remaining Nightlords circles in 40k). ADB's books paint the circumstances for the Nightlords in 40k as one more of salvaged armor, so mix-match pieces they could find for themselves off scavenged enemies/brothers.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

DandyLion posted:

'loyal' Nightlords often weren't too visually distinct from traitor Nightlords (save but for ones that accepted chaos boons, which was even still looked down upon in some remaining Nightlords circles in 40k). ADB's books paint the circumstances for the Nightlords in 40k as one more of salvaged armor, so mix-match pieces they could find for themselves off scavenged enemies/brothers.

They're primaris. Basically using the whole thing where Cawl was like "haha um of course I didn't use traitor geneseed". Who gives a poo poo their brains don't work and they're travelling to the ghoul stars led by a primaris chapter master that has incurable nightmares while they burn perfectly fine imperial settlements just on the off chance there's a chaos incursion, all the while spoofing traitor comms for reasons of camouflage or disinformation. They can wear the skull and batwings if they like basically.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Gameko posted:

Isn’t she finecast?

She is, but she's also in scale with the new sisters and was sculpted for finecast rather than adapted from an old metal figure.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
That is true, i forgot about Veridyan even though I've painted one in the lead up to the sisters hype.

I like to think they made the relic pistol good for her sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

moths posted:

She is, but she's also in scale with the new sisters and was sculpted for finecast rather than adapted from an old metal figure.

This is good to know. I think I'll pick one up. I'd avoided it because I worried it would really clash with plastic sisters.