Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
They're still fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Max Payne 2 is still easily a top ten all time shooter, and i would put it in the top five, personally. I played it again like a year ago and it blew me away how great it was.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

CJacobs posted:

They're still fantastic.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Max Payne 2 is still easily a top ten all time shooter, and i would put it in the top five, personally. I played it again like a year ago and it blew me away how great it was.

Good to know, thanks.
And good timing since I realized after posting that one reason I haven't touched them is because I've accidentally upgraded computer tech beyond the capability of using optical discs. However, it turns out they're both 65% off on steam right now, from already pretty cheap starting points.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

ilmucche posted:

It's the three JBs, immaculately professional Jason Bourne, incredibly violent dickhead jack bauer, and incessantly arrogant douche james bond.

I did a playthrough where I hit the douchebag button every time I could and it's the only playthrough I did where not a single women will sleep with thornton throughout the entire run of the game.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I played them both for the first time just 2 or 3 years ago and had a lot of fun with them without any nostalgia coloring it

E: regarding the Max Payne games

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you decide you want to remove the adaptive difficulty, here's a steam forums thread wherein someone explains how to do that step by step. If you wanna experience the game as-intended I don't blame you but I also wouldn't blame you for wanting to make it more fair for poor Max.

They also show the code itself for anyone who is interested to see what it looks like and what things actually change!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I know I'm an outlier on this, but: IMO Max Payne 1 holds up better than 2. I love MP1 and Alan Wake dearly, and MP2 feels like a weird missing link between them that doesn't do enough gritty-but-winking noir stuff like 1 does nor does it handle the weird and wacky Twin Peaks-y material with anywhere near as much aptitude as AW. I know the gameplay is supposed to be "objectively" better than its predecessor's but the feel is so fundamentally different that it feels wrong to directly compare them at times.

That said, if you're gonna play one you might as well play the other so :shrug:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Zoig posted:

Edit: Actually wait hold on, are you seriously telling me symmetry had a champion mod and they removed it simply because nearly everyone was using it? because that's a prime example of treating symptoms (people need to use terrible champion mods so they use the one cool gun that has it) over the problem (why the gently caress dont all exotics have a champion mod type). Its not even that hard to figure out what would go on what guns because most exotics have enough character that you could probably fit at least 2 of the 3 types and have it make sense, and it would go a long way to make them feel even more powerful.

The alt-fire arc shots things used to have a built in over-load feature (or was it unstoppable?) that got removed within the first week of Dawn, yeah. People thought it was cool and gave the weapon a lot of utility, especially since they were going to have to use it anyway to get its catalyst. But then no, they removed it. I think the theory at the time was that it was a feature of its catalyst that got slipped in early? But given how poo poo those grind quests are, I don't know if anyone actually ever unlocked it to confirm.

RBA Starblade posted:

What the gently caress did they do to Destiny in the four months I stopped playing it

It's more that they haven't really fixed or addressed any of the real issues, some of which have been plaguing the game for years now, and every change they do make to the game tend to just exacerbate the already present issues rather than fixing them at all. Class balance is a mess, weapon balance is all over the place (they nerfed recluse - but by such a tiny margin that it's still an absolutely ridiculously good weapon) and even their big game-saving season pass mechanic is such a joke that the only way to actually complete it is to just farm bounties because no other activity rewards reasonable amount of exp to be at all worth the time, so if you just log in and play for an hour or two every day you're never going to finish it. Their increasing reliance on the eververse has somehow looped around to being even worse because not only does the season pass only reward you with one eververse engram every *five* levels (as opposed to the every level engram you got before seasonal passes) but now they exclusively reward old items, not new ones. Their shop prices are absolutely absurd and in a very mobile game-like fashion you can't just purchase the exact amount of silver you need for an item, instead only being able to buy in multiples of 500, when items sold are not always rounded to the nearest multiple of 500. They actively removed player benefiting features like the prismatic matrix claiming that having literally nothing was "more fair to the player base" and cranked down the bright dust gains to a trickle, where you get like ten for completing a bounty, to a maximum of 3000 bright dust a week. In increments of ten, which you can only hold like six of at a time. Most of the highly sought after items cost 2500 bright dust or more, especially if it's an event item for the halloween or christmas events, and many of the items literally are only available for purchase with bright dust for one week out of ten.

Then there are rewards. Iron Banner got a new armor set for year three, that's rad, but it hasn't seen any new weapons in a very long time. What few activities reward cosmetic items now usually just give reskins of basic things - like generic ghost shells with a new logo on them or very plain shaders - because the only things that have any actual artistic effort put into them are deliberately put into eververse instead; something openly admitted to by the lead dev of the game. A major sticking point here were the big raid and seasonal thematic items. You see, in the past every major content drop had a whole host of thematic items tied to it. Whether they were ghost shells, ships, sparrows, or unique shaders. The base game had a bunch of cool, and gaudy, gold, purple and white stuff tied to Leviathan, while the first DLC had a bunch of chunky vaguely egyptian Osiris related things and Warmind had a bunch of blocky sci-fi stuff tied to the general visual theme of Rasputin and the braytech stuff. Most of it you could earn in-game and it made exploring the world, doing activities and engaging with the content fun and rewarding. Now, however? Year 3 gives us a new swarm of the hive! The hidden swarm are all red and spiky, but we don't get a red, spiky hive themed armor, sparrow, or ghost. Instead the ghost and sparrow are explicitly put into the eververse. When the raid launched all of the sleek future-themed vex stuff? Sparrows, ghost shells and ships? All in the eververse. Even the raid armor its self was straight up just a reskin of an old eververse armor, while the armor that, visually and thematically, matched the raid was put into the season pass. The usual argument here is "It's just cosmetic, why does it matter?" But the cosmetic rewards always had longer staying power than the guns or armor did. Every update brought new guns and armor, which meant you'd replace those; but looking stylish with your favorite ship or shader never got old, from the first game to the current season in Destiny 2. Now that your armor is literally pointless, all the guns are pointless outside of the ones that they specifically want you to use that season, and there's no cosmetic stuff to aim for and hunt; there's virtually no reason to actually play the game anymore. The only reason to keep playing the content is so you can get your season rank up, which only exists because they specifically took that content out of the game to put into the season pass. Even the new Nightfalls don't have nightfall exclusive items anymore because they, and they openly admit this as well, made the assets and put them in the eververse instead which is specifically why the hidden swarm themed items are in the eververse.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 02:13 on Feb 5, 2020

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

CJacobs posted:

If you decide you want to remove the adaptive difficulty, here's a steam forums thread wherein someone explains how to do that step by step. If you wanna experience the game as-intended I don't blame you but I also wouldn't blame you for wanting to make it more fair for poor Max.

They also show the code itself for anyone who is interested to see what it looks like and what things actually change!

Also I was curious how involved a process this was and now I've got a widescreen, sound-fixed, locked difficulty version of Max Payne sitting around. So I guess I oughta just replay it. Again.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Bookmarked, thanks again :tipshat:

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

PubicMice posted:

Why do people play this game? It sounds real loving bad.

Quoting myself re:Destiny 2

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Nobody talks about it but max Payne 3 is also really good as well but definitely has a different feel from the first two

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I thought the Threshold Kids stuff in Control felt like it was trying way too hard and fell flat.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Robert J. Omb posted:

I don’t know if I’m enjoying The Outer Worlds.

I like the aesthetic. I like the characters. I like the story(ies). I loved New Vegas.

I just can’t quite figure out why, after 20 hours, I’m still feeling like it’s a bit of a chore.

Because it’s a bad game, OP

Olive! posted:

I thought the Threshold Kids stuff in Control felt like it was trying way too hard and fell flat.

The grand “joke” behind Threshold Kids is that it was made by a Bureau member who just wasn’t good at making that sort of thing. It’s genuinely supposed to be a guide for teaching kids about Bureau stuff. It’s not *supposed* to be creepy, it just turned out that way accidentally because they’re incompetent

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Kit Walker posted:

The grand “joke” behind Threshold Kids is that it was made by a Bureau member who just wasn’t good at making that sort of thing. It’s genuinely supposed to be a guide for teaching kids about Bureau stuff. It’s not *supposed* to be creepy, it just turned out that way accidentally because they’re incompetent

Yeah, but that explanation really doesn't fit with what we see. Threshold Kids isn't innocently disturbing like some real 70s kids show, it's super obviously intentionally creepy.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Kit Walker posted:

Because it’s a bad game, OP

Two things dragged it down. First, it was mediocre compared to New Vegas in all the important categories.

Second... hmm. There was something else, but I can't remember it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

There's too many goddamn skills in Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Like, I don't need the game telling me I'm aiming at someone's head. I'm able to do that on my own.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

oldpainless posted:

Nobody talks about it but max Payne 3 is also really good as well but definitely has a different feel from the first two

It would be remembered much better if it wasn’t for the goddamn unskippable cutscenes. It’ll say “still loading” when you try to skip them, but I can see my hard drive usage- I know that’s a lie, dammit!

It makes replaying the campaign a bit of a chore.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It would be remembered much better if it wasn’t for the goddamn unskippable cutscenes. It’ll say “still loading” when you try to skip them, but I can see my hard drive usage- I know that’s a lie, dammit!

It makes replaying the campaign a bit of a chore.
yeah the basic gunplay is amazing but I just find it impossible to enjoy. It's the sheer volume of cutscenes combined with how miserable and po-faced they are (Rockstar!), you can never really get even a solid 20 minutes of uninterrupted gameplay

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

yeah the basic gunplay is amazing but I just find it impossible to enjoy. It's the sheer volume of cutscenes combined with how miserable and po-faced they are (Rockstar!), you can never really get even a solid 20 minutes of uninterrupted gameplay

It feels like they dropped Max Payne into a GTA plot whenever you’re in Brazil. They wrote the character fine but everything around him has that rockstar mean-spirited edginess to it. The parts in Jersey would have been a fantastic Max Payne story but nope, just a few flashback levels.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I felt the cutscene and setpiece shootout rhythm in Max Payne 3 was just right. I enjoyed every minute of it and it ended before it was getting stale. I only played through it once and left completely satisfied about finishing the game.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CJacobs posted:

They're still fantastic.

Max... Dearest of my friends

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Necrothatcher posted:

Yeah, but that explanation really doesn't fit with what we see. Threshold Kids isn't innocently disturbing like some real 70s kids show, it's super obviously intentionally creepy.

To be fair, given the nature of the place it would be entirely plausible for something in the Oldest House, or the place itself, to have 'corrupted' the show.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

The real thing draggin Max Payne 3 down is that when he finally cleans himself up he shaves his hair but does nothing about his really lovely beard,

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Apparently there's a mod that lets you skip MP3 cutscenes so maybe I should try the game at last. It's been sitting in my Steam account for years now :v:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

orcane posted:

Apparently there's a mod that lets you skip MP3 cutscenes so maybe I should try the game at last. It's been sitting in my Steam account for years now :v:

Play it with the cutscenes the first time, the story is pretty good, though not too Max Payne-ish. The cutscenes only really grate on replays.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Good news! There is a mod to skip cutscenes in Max Payne 3! I'm the one who made it! And yes, Max Payne 3 is one of the best third person shooters ever made, I'm glad you all agree. But don't skip the cutscenes the first time through.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I genuinely really like the story of MP3 and the gameplay is excellent. But yeah, theres way too may unskippable cutscenes to be as good as MP1 and 2 which I could replay anytime on a whim and have a blast.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CJacobs posted:

Good news! There is a mod to skip cutscenes in Max Payne 3! I'm the one who made it! And yes, Max Payne 3 is one of the best third person shooters ever made, I'm glad you all agree. But don't skip the cutscenes the first time through.

MP3’s armored enemies were some of the best armored enemies in any first person shooter- if you shot where the armor wasn’t, they would die as easily as anyone else. I definitely bowled some guys over with a shotgun at close range and blasted them in their in unarmored taint before they could stand up.

It is a little annoying how some cutscene transitions would have Max throw away his long gun without player input, though.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Vic posted:

I felt the cutscene and setpiece shootout rhythm in Max Payne 3 was just right. I enjoyed every minute of it and it ended before it was getting stale. I only played through it once and left completely satisfied about finishing the game.

The airport level blaring that HEALTH song is one of the best setpieces in gaming imo

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

The airport level blaring that HEALTH song is one of the best setpieces in gaming imo

I love how the song doesn’t fully kick in until you leave cover and start really blasting away at dudes.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

It is a little annoying how some cutscene transitions would have Max throw away his long gun without player input, though.

This is such a bad recurring Rockstar thing. I remember being super annoyed at how in San Andreas the game loved to automatically replace the weapon(s) you had with different ones when you started a mission, both because the RPG elements meant sometimes you wanted to use a specific weapon to level up your skill with it and because of the exploit where maxing out ammo for a weapon would give you unlimited ammo for it and you would lose this when your weapon was replaced. It felt like the tipping point of the genuinely open sandbox gameplay of 3 and Vice City and the super scripted rigid "cinematic" missions of IV and V.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

drat, well, I guess I need to play MP3 too :sweatdrop:
I got it on a steam sale ages ago but haven't gotten up the effort to play since realizing it changed devs. Sounds like it's princely worthwhile on its own terms though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
For a while there they were going to replace James McCaffery as Max in 3, which would have been a huge mistake. Luckily they realized that would be a bad move and they made an excellent game. Like, I don’t like it as much as the originals but I’ve still beaten it like five times. And it still looks incredible on PC if you put everything on maximum, even though it’s almost 10 years old.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Necrothatcher posted:

Exactly. It completely missed the mark for me.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

It's like with actors pretending to be drunk, it takes real finesse to not come off like you're doing a comedy impression. With Threshold Kids it's immediately obvious what they're going for and failing to achieve

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Ruffian Price posted:

It's like with actors pretending to be drunk, it takes real finesse to not come off like you're doing a comedy impression.

The best drunk acting I've seen is from the Always Sunny gang.

I'm 80% sure they're just actually drunk when filming those scenes.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Back when it came out, MP3 was dragged down for me by being 35 gigs in size; enormous even for a AAA PC game at the time. For reference, Skyrim and all DLC, which released less than a year earlier, topped out at ~12.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
That's why I check if there's another version of many games now, because I don't want to delete stuff from my PS4 if I can help it but every game needs to be installed. At least on the switch you don't need to save an entire game to the harddrive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Ruffian Price posted:

It's like with actors pretending to be drunk, it takes real finesse to not come off like you're doing a comedy impression.

People will call it a "terrible impression" even if the actors are actually drunk. Movies and media in general are just massively loving with our expectations for the real world.