Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

stev posted:

Oh no.

We'll be able to effectively ignore all of the PoE1 content right? I never want to look at that poo poo again.

I think when rolling a new character you'll choose between the original campaign or the new 7-act one.

quote:

Path of Exile 2 is a new seven-act storyline that is available alongside the original Path of Exile 1 campaign. Both the old and new storyline lead to the same shared Atlas endgame. Path of Exile 2 retains all expansion content that has been created over the last six years and introduces a new skill system, ascendancy classes, engine improvements and more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

stev posted:

Oh no.

We'll be able to effectively ignore all of the PoE1 content right? I never want to look at that poo poo again.

Yes. Poe2 content will be new and seperate from the old poe1 10 acts.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah, Path of Exile is not a game I would describe as casual friendly. Like, getting through the current 10 act campaign doesn't take much of an investment and is pretty easy, but the end game is brutally hard and takes dozens of hours to get through.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yes. Poe2 content will be new and seperate from the old poe1 10 acts.

That is news to me, I haven't been able to keep up.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the important thing to remember about games like diablo, is that the part where you're clicking on things is not the game. the actual game is the accumulation of power in the form of gear + stats, and directing that power on an obscured spreadsheet to make your character stronger. the combat is just a mathematical simulation to evaluate how good you were at manipulating the spreadsheet, and in some cases a gating mechanic that won't let you pass until your spreadsheet is better. and then your reward for letting the simulation play out is more power to gently caress your spreadsheet up with

this is also true for most nippon ichi games. no one plays disgaea for the turn based combat

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Andrast posted:

Yeah, PoE just seems like it wants way too much investment. ARPGs really aren't a type of game I want to play that much.

yeah I loved being able to bang out a new character each diablo season, do some challenges, then put it down when I got my fill all in a fairly short amount of time

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I liked the dungeon siege games, diablo but a party was a fun enough idea

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Relax Or DIE posted:

yeah I loved being able to bang out a new character each diablo season, do some challenges, then put it down when I got my fill all in a fairly short amount of time

That's pretty much what I did with D3 too. I came back every once in a while to gently caress around with the new season and then stop.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

homeless snail posted:

the important thing to remember about games like diablo, is that the part where you're clicking on things is not the game. the actual game is the accumulation of power in the form of gear + stats, and directing that power on an obscured spreadsheet to make your character stronger. the combat is just a mathematical simulation to evaluate how good you were at manipulating the spreadsheet, and in some cases a gating mechanic that won't let you pass until your spreadsheet is better. and then your reward for letting the simulation play out is more power to gently caress your spreadsheet up with

this is also true for most nippon ichi games. no one plays disgaea for the turn based combat

you know that's actually a pretty good way of summarizing it, kudos

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

yeah dungeon siege moves enough away from the formula that the combat is actually a draw somewhat. its like a hybrid between a diablo game and a crpg

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Path of Excel lmao. Thanks folks, you've been great.

Wolcen is coming out with a full release next week. I bought the EA demo of that and I think it could be really good.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Relax Or DIE posted:

:same:

I really want a Dungeon Siege IV.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Wolcen is coming out with a full release next week. I bought the EA demo of that and I think it could be really good.

Ooh poo poo, the EA version has been collecting dust in my Steam library for years now.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

do Supergiant games count as Diabloliklies

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Here's the secret about PoE is that you can just find a guide/build that is good for solo self found that sounds interesting to you and go with that and you'll probably still have a good time. I've put hundreds of hours into PoE and could probably do builds myself but it holds no interest to me so I just grab builds off their forums that are the style I want to go with.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

do Supergiant games count as Diabloliklies
like bastion and transistor? they arent even lootgames

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

exquisite tea posted:

I was literally about to ask if anyone had played Wolcen! It certainly looks good but I don't know poo poo about it's systems - is there a decent writeup or video explaining the basics? If it's about as complex as Grim Dawn (which I see as being a middle point between D3 and PoE) then I would be very interested.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

a glitch posted:

I was literally about to ask if anyone had played Wolcen! It certainly looks good but I don't know poo poo about it's systems - is there a decent writeup or video explaining the basics? If it's about as complex as Grim Dawn (which I see as being a middle point between D3 and PoE) then I would be very interested.

Well the EA build is from a very early time in development, only Act 1 is playable, level capped at 20, nowhere near the full complement of skills, crafting, etc. But.. it's fun. It feels like a mashup between D3 and Grim Dawn with a splash of PoE's sphere grid, although far less complicated. Your character is fully respeccable at any point and like D3 skills have different runes that change the properties of the spell. The physical act of hitting a monster feels good and the itemization is straightforward, although there aren't many crazy legendaries in the drop table yet. I think it has a lot of potential, all the fundamentals are there. There's a youtuber named Vulkan who apparently has a later build of the game and has been previewing some of the systems that will be added to the final release.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

watching the trailer for the new ff14 patch, which continues the eden raid story in which (dont read if youre still playing shadowbringers) you have to summon all the classic final fantasy summons and fight them, but your character can't remember what they look like and overly accentuates certain parts of them. this new ifrit design is fuckin HOT

also new ramuh is just a really buff dude

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

that's not hot, that's horny, there's a difference

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i cant say that word anymore

May 8, 2006

Aside from what homeless snail said, diablo like games should be similar in a way to musou games where fighting big swarms is the default and you're worried about stuff one or two levels up. Punching one rat at a time in the blood Moor was always the worst part of diablo 2

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The h-word

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

great now mayor pete is trying to steal the election in the blood moor too

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

do EDFs count as Diablobladeeobladahs

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Also still waiting for Last Epoch https://store.steampowered.com/app/899770/Last_Epoch/ to leave Early Access. That shows a lot of promise as a good blend between everything that made Diablo III and Path of Exile good, but cutting out a lot of the things about both games that suck.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

[img-seinfeld-putting-his-hands-up-and-leaving-his-seat]

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

[img-seinfeld-putting-his-hands-up-and-leaving-his-seat]

Not enough skill trees to be honest.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
What game will dare to be the first with an entire skill forest

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Skill trees are lame, job systems are where it's at

Combining them is also cool

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Andrast posted:

The h-word

hornt

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

raditts posted:

I've been seeing facebook ads recently about this game that appears to be Kafkaesque as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwcFSowweno&hd=1

No meat touching m'am!

Honestly this looks pretty lovely, it has NOTHING to do with Kafka beyond the name. They posted a facebook sponsored post that came up in my feed, and the entire comments were just people going "uhhh Gregor was a giant cockroach?" and the author in the comments going "hey uh this has nothing to do with Kafka its just a cool game"

Like okay maybe dont' steal the name of his book then?? You're obviously using that association.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They got all these skill trees, but who's gonna put some real trees in the Amazon?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Volte posted:

What game will dare to be the first with an entire skill forest

someone hasn't seen the passives tree from path of exile

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

No meat touching m'am!

Honestly this looks pretty lovely, it has NOTHING to do with Kafka beyond the name. They posted a facebook sponsored post that came up in my feed, and the entire comments were just people going "uhhh Gregor was a giant cockroach?" and the author in the comments going "hey uh this has nothing to do with Kafka its just a cool game"

Like okay maybe dont' steal the name of his book then?? You're obviously using that association.

wow another cravenly obvious attempt to capitalize on the red hot franz kafka brand

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

do EDFs count as Diablobladeeobladahs
no, because there's not much in the way of a character build in those games. the formula for a diabloesque is pretty narrow, loot + lots of opportunities for developing a character, whether thats dumb skill trees or gear synergies + combat that has a really low mental load and is almost entirely predicated on how Good your character is

so also no, dark souls and monhun are not diablos, but kingdom under fire: circle of doom is closer to one

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

VideoGames posted:

Diablo3 (console) is great, great, great! I wish there were more games like it but I have yet to find any really. I do not enjoy Diablo3 PC as much and it is entirely due to the control scheme. Console D3 feels more responsive! :D

There are some games like it, mostly older ones. Check out Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, and D&D Heroes on xbox, and.... sword coast legends although I never played it

Also Gauntlet Legends

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cowcaster posted:

someone hasn't seen the passives tree from path of exile

It's a sailboat

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

also sick, yasumi matsuno is writing another questline for ff14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Weedle posted:

wow another obvious attempt to capitalize on the red hot franz kafka brand

I dunno man just seems lame to rip off another artist like that

You can do your own story about a dude becoming a cockroach without stealing the guy's book title