Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
California's largest cities are rather poorly placed, terrain-wise. There's nothing wrong with Bay Area to SoCal HSR, but you may have to settle for Oakland to Lancaster or something. The state can make a system that handles the last leg into the city, whether that's buses in the diamond lane or timed MetroLink connections or whatever, a lot easier than it can tunneling through mountains and appeasing property owners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

acksplode posted:

It's not that all white people are bad, it's that they all smell weird and can't dance and look stupid and sound like this: duhhhhhhhhhhh

i know you've seen how they drive

Seph posted:

White also happens to by a physical descriptor commonly used throughout society. To 99% of people when you say something like "gently caress white people" they're going to interpret it as "gently caress white looking people" and not "gently caress people who associate themselves with the constructed white identity that has dominated minorities for centuries". That being said I do agree with you about whiteness not being an ethnicity and not something you should build your identity around.

Anyway I'm going to stop here since I dont want to derail train chat.

"white" is a physical descriptor, eh? how about "woman"?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Doc Hawkins posted:

"white" is a physical descriptor, eh? how about "woman"?

Let's talk CA stuff for solidarity. More specifically let's talk about how much the Santa Ana winds suck assssssssss

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Let's talk CA stuff for solidarity. More specifically let's talk about how much the Santa Ana winds suck assssssssss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5XdQ5q2PIA

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Keyser_Soze posted:

I'll say it again but the SF/LA train was hosed the moment it didn't ram right down Interstate 5 and through the middle of the Tejon Pass by any means necessary, preferably gunpoint. :commissar:

It would be completely ridiculous policy to bypass the fastest-growing and most-affordable population center in the state. There are like 5 million+ people living on the corridor that passes through the Valley, and the introduction of quick rail access to the coastal population centers would likely lead to a significant population shift away from the coasts and toward the interior. Now, I'm not positive that would create 100% positive outcomes for the Valley as a distinct cultural and economic region, but the idea that we should have built essentially a two-stop train between Oakland and LA is absurd.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

I had to walk back home last night in them and I felt like some loving dickensian orphan all bundled up in my coat trying not get blown away. I legit could not at all hear the podcast I was trying to listen to as well.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Keyser_Soze posted:

I'll say it again but the SF/LA train was hosed the moment it didn't ram right down Interstate 5 and through the middle of the Tejon Pass by any means necessary, preferably gunpoint. :commissar:

It should go through the 99 but yeah.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Kenning posted:

It would be completely ridiculous policy to bypass the fastest-growing and most-affordable population center in the state. There are like 5 million+ people living on the corridor that passes through the Valley, and the introduction of quick rail access to the coastal population centers would likely lead to a significant population shift away from the coasts and toward the interior. Now, I'm not positive that would create 100% positive outcomes for the Valley as a distinct cultural and economic region, but the idea that we should have built essentially a two-stop train between Oakland and LA is absurd.

they can build connectors to it
9,000 property owners to deal with instead of like 8

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I don't think skipping over 2 growing cities in central CA is a smart move and also not one that's going to meaningfully make a this project more tenable.

It just needs money. Japan built HSR on an unstable pile of rocks and connects a ton of cities smaller than Fresno.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Money’s not just the problem though. It’s the fact that there are so many blocks and vetoes property owners can throw up, and the fact that they have every incentive to do so, because in this country, unlike Japan, people’s economic fortunes are heavily tied up in their property values.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Kill Bristol posted:

Money’s not just the problem though. It’s the fact that there are so many blocks and vetoes property owners can throw up, and the fact that they have every incentive to do so, because in this country, unlike Japan, people’s economic fortunes are heavily tied up in their property values.

This is the key thing.

We've created a meritocratic hellworld where certain people with certain skills and backgrounds have a good chance of "making it", and by that I mean getting a job that lets them buy a house.

There's no other wealth creation mechanisms in place, your entire future goes into that house. I can't tell you how stomach-churning this can be. Not fishing for sympathy, just stating facts.

One of the things that's being overlooked is that people are terrified of being thrown into penury, Social Security is inadequate, our pension system was gutted, and 401ks suck rear end. So people are insanely protective of their home values. It's why the stupid Prop 13 tables are stacked 2 deep whenever I go to Target. People are piss scared at the idea that their thin economic lifeline is gonna get cut. This may be a cornball idea, but I truly believe that if you want to fix CA property values you have to fix our entitlements (and this is not code for cutting them, I'm talking about massively expanding them) and once people feel they aren't hanging over the precipice of perpetual ruination with only their property values to protect them they will be more willing to listen to alternatives.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

This is the key thing.

We've created a meritocratic hellworld where certain people with certain skills and backgrounds have a good chance of "making it", and by that I mean getting a job that lets them buy a house.

There's no other wealth creation mechanisms in place, your entire future goes into that house. I can't tell you how stomach-churning this can be. Not fishing for sympathy, just stating facts.

One of the things that's being overlooked is that people are terrified of being thrown into penury, Social Security is inadequate, our pension system was gutted, and 401ks suck rear end. So people are insanely protective of their home values. It's why the stupid Prop 13 tables are stacked 2 deep whenever I go to Target. People are piss scared at the idea that their thin economic lifeline is gonna get cut. This may be a cornball idea, but I truly believe that if you want to fix CA property values you have to fix our entitlements (and this is not code for cutting them, I'm talking about massively expanding them) and once people feel they aren't hanging over the precipice of perpetual ruination with only their property values to protect them they will be more willing to listen to alternatives.

It's as much a normative and cultural problem as it is an economic one. The norm could be that you view your lodging as like a car, something you purchase because you need it to live, not an investment, and the main way that the middle class stored and grew their money was in like municpal bonds or something like that. But there's an entire value system tied up in the idea of homeownership, and it's actively encouraged by policy, inlcluding by liberals and the even some on the left.

The goal of policy should be to reduce the cost of housing as much as possible, but that's in direction contravention with the idea that property ownership should be an investment.

Imagine a world where homeowners didn't feel compelled to show up and scream at people who wanted to build housing near them because their ability to survive wasn't so closely tied to the value of their patch of earth. The problem isn't that housing is a commodity specifically, it's that it's seen as an investment.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Let's check in on the state of the CA economy, which as we all know is a shambles because of the insane liberal tax-and-spend-and-regulate policies of the Democrat party and has sent jobs and rich people fleeing

Oh.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Seems like all those businesses that fled the state took their bad economic vibes with them!

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
i wonder where that growth is mostly coming from

https://www.statista.com/statistics/304869/california-real-gdp-by-industry/

whoops the majority is in fire sector bullshit and consultants

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yeah be careful with GDP, it's kinda a bogus metric in a lot of ways.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Yeah be careful with GDP, it's kinda a bogus metric in a lot of ways.
It's bad for a lot of things, but it is good for showing how dead wrong conservative claims about how business-unfriendly Democratic governance turns your economy into a blasted Mad Max wasteland.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FMguru posted:

but it is good for showing how dead wrong conservative claims about how business-unfriendly Democratic governance turns your economy into a blasted Mad Max wasteland.
Yeah! It's PG&E that's doing that with their deferred maintenance schedules.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

atelier morgan posted:

i wonder where that growth is mostly coming from

https://www.statista.com/statistics/304869/california-real-gdp-by-industry/

whoops the majority is in fire sector bullshit and consultants

So fighting climate change really will hurt the economy!

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I don’t know if you could strongly attribute California’s success to its state government policies. California has so many natural advantages and built in historical advantages that it would take a really horrible state government to cripple its economy.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think it's interesting that #3 on the list is manufacturing, though. In a state with actually nearly functional environmental regulations, higher than US-average labor costs, much higher real estate costs, etc. you can still see significant economic growth in a sector that people keep saying is being sent overseas en masse permanently. But $311B in manufacturing growth in a single year is significant.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

https://twitter.com/TartineUnion/status/1225452860713783297

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I think it's interesting that #3 on the list is manufacturing, though. In a state with actually nearly functional environmental regulations, higher than US-average labor costs, much higher real estate costs, etc. you can still see significant economic growth in a sector that people keep saying is being sent overseas en masse permanently. But $311B in manufacturing growth in a single year is significant.

the jobs were sent overseas (or automated away), not the profits.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
it's worth noting that america is still the #2 manufacturer in the world

iirc if california were its own country the larger manufacturers would be china, germany, and japan - the next highest state is texas and it comes in at around half of what california produces, with new york close behind

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/akoseff/status/1225517738925445125

This would be in effect for the primary if Newsom signs it

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
This will also be the first primary where stamps aren’t required on mail in ballots.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Kill Bristol posted:

This will also be the first primary where stamps aren’t required on mail in ballots.

Technically they've never been required but this is the first time they're stating that explicitly.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I'm much more concerned about the whole "untested tech-bro clusterfuck" that we're deciding to test on live servers for a very important election where there will definitely be fuckery

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Also the "Prop 13 repeal for commercial properties will definitely hurt your grandma, the homeowner, despite it explicitly having nothing to do with private homes" crew is out in force already.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

Also the "Prop 13 repeal for commercial properties will definitely hurt your grandma, the homeowner, despite it explicitly having nothing to do with private homes" crew is out in force already.

That's the number one argument I keep hearing over and over again.

"It's a back door to repeal protections on your home. Once it's passed, they can just cross out 'commercial properties' and write 'your house' on it!"

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

FCKGW posted:

That's the number one argument I keep hearing over and over again.

"It's a back door to repeal protections on your home. Once it's passed, they can just cross out 'commercial properties' and write 'your house' on it!"

Well "I'm stanning for millionaires" doesn't sell nearly as well

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Very quietly, after explaining this will not affect homeowners: ”grandma should be paying higher taxes on her property though”

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Without looking at the twitter handle or the text, wanna guess which candidate sent out this mailer?

https://twitter.com/liamomaraiv/status/1225575244259135488?s=21

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Kill Bristol posted:

Very quietly, after explaining this will not affect homeowners: ”grandma should be paying higher taxes on her property though”

Well yeah, but good luck selling that to voters.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Kill Bristol posted:

also her kids and grandkids want to inherit her property tax rate

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?

FCKGW posted:

Without looking at the twitter handle or the text, wanna guess which candidate sent out this mailer?

https://twitter.com/liamomaraiv/status/1225575244259135488?s=21

This is the race where the other Democrat in the running called a black activist "boy", right?

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
https://twitter.com/kimmaicutler/status/1225527726939025410?s=20

very cool!

i am glad that our property tax structure and refusal to ever build more housing worked out for this person! worth crippling the future of a generation in this state imo.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 7, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mitsuo posted:

This is the race where the other Democrat in the running called a black activist "boy", right?

She called a woman POC “girl” but close enough

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Yes, it turns out massive, sustained government investment into emerging technologies--well before they are commercially ubiquitous or even viable--can secure an economic advantage that lasts for decades. If only there was a plan to do something similar again today...some kind of deal or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

FCKGW posted:

She called a woman POC “girl” but close enough

And then doubled down by saying it was a term of endearment in the south, finished that thought by calling a black man "boy," eventually admitted she wasn't from the south but from SoCal, and then said her account got hacked.

It was a wild ride.