Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I hated every single ATV+ show except the Elephant one with the fake dung beetle noises.

The picture quality on them is phenomenal though.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I've only watched The Morning Show so far, that was ok. The All Mankind or whatever is next up. Otherwise I don't care about the rest.

withak
Jan 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Fun Shoe
Dickinson was fun and For All Mankind was ok.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

I thought The Morning Show was great. For All Mankind started slow but ended really strong, especially the last two episodes.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Is there ANY way in the YouTube app to see the items in a playlist before clicking on it? If you click on it, it just starts playing the playlist and I want to just see the videos in the playlist before I play something.

Oddly enough the YouTube app on the AppleTV 3 does this easily.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Anyone have any idea why our TV4K loses all its downloaded aerial screensavers every 4-6 weeks? It doesn’t lose power, all the installed apps in total are less than 1GB. The one that it keeps isn’t always the same one.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Apparently it’s got something to do with HDR. If I set the box to SDR, dozens of screensavers show up. But I’ve also had it set to HDR for months, so I have no idea.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Unless you have a specific need, you want the Apple TV set to SDR with frame and content matching turned on.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Edit: This ain't the apple watch thread.... CMD-F "watch" has betrayed me

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Anyone have experience using an IR repeater/extender with an Apple TV? I'm looking at the kind where you stick a little nub directly onto the IR thing on the receiving device. My wife really hates the touchpad on the Siri remote so I'm trying to investigate alternatives (ATV is currently mounted behind the TV).

Alternatively, are bluetooth remotes a thing? I know ATV supports bluetooth but as far as I know that's just for sound output and game controllers.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
If you have one lying around, there's always the old remote.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

ufarn posted:

If you have one lying around, there's always the old remote.

I do, but that one's still IR/line-of-sight only. And losing the volume buttons would be a big usability hit. I'm thinking once I account for the IR issues I might just get something like this "Streamer Remote"... seems a good balance between the basic Apple remote and the overkill (for this particular setup) of a Harmony remote.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like how it still has the paid for branded buttons, free advertising!

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Minidust posted:

Anyone have experience using an IR repeater/extender with an Apple TV? I'm looking at the kind where you stick a little nub directly onto the IR thing on the receiving device. My wife really hates the touchpad on the Siri remote so I'm trying to investigate alternatives (ATV is currently mounted behind the TV).

Alternatively, are bluetooth remotes a thing? I know ATV supports bluetooth but as far as I know that's just for sound output and game controllers.

The receiver is a little hard to locate on the ATV. Once you do, it works just fine. (I use one b/c my ATV is in a cabinet—it retransmits IR signals from a Harmony setup so I can just use the Harmony remote for everything.)

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Kalman posted:

The receiver is a little hard to locate on the ATV. Once you do, it works just fine. (I use one b/c my ATV is in a cabinet—it retransmits IR signals from a Harmony setup so I can just use the Harmony remote for everything.)
Ah that's good to hear! Okay great. Yeah I'll check real carefully to find the sweet spot. From what I've read the receiver actually changed position between the 4 and the 4K.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I watched the superbowl on my atv and even though it was apparently most 1080 footage that was upscaled prior to broadcast, it looked drat good. I tried to A/B between it and the regular fox broadcast, and the fox broadcast had a lot more artifacting around the chyron and whatnot. It was also supposed to be 60 frames/s but I couldn't tell if that was the case.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I watched the superbowl on my atv and even though it was apparently most 1080 footage that was upscaled prior to broadcast, it looked drat good. I tried to A/B between it and the regular fox broadcast, and the fox broadcast had a lot more artifacting around the chyron and whatnot. It was also supposed to be 60 frames/s but I couldn't tell if that was the case.

drat, I should’ve done this.

But yeah Broadcast Fox is dogshit. It’s 720p but it has terrible compression or something and always looks blocky on my TV. And the colors always seem a bit muddier. The difference when flipping between an NFL game on CBS or NBC and Fox is night and day.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I watched the first quarter on the Fox Sports app in 4K and it looked great, but a couple times it just stopped playing and took forever to continue. Not sure if my internet was screwing up or what. Also it was noticeably a minute or two behind the YouTube TV broadcast. But when I switched to the latter it looked awful in comparison.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Minidust posted:

There's a bluetooth device for it if you have a Harmony that supports BT.

quote:

Control your Apple TV with your Harmony Remote via Bluetooth: you can add your Apple TV as a device using manufacturer Harmony Pro and model number BT Apple TV 4. This will allow additional features such as the TV/Home button and sleep mode.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Big Huski Boi posted:

I watched the first quarter on the Fox Sports app in 4K and it looked great, but a couple times it just stopped playing and took forever to continue. Not sure if my internet was screwing up or what. Also it was noticeably a minute or two behind the YouTube TV broadcast. But when I switched to the latter it looked awful in comparison.

Mine did that a couple times early on and i had ot reslect the stream but no issues after the first quarter I think. I suspect they were having backend problems.

Also, streaming is always going to be behind the tv broadcast. My understanding is its because of how it's sent out in chunks to the ISPs who then stream it to their subscribers. And so it's sent out in 30 second or minute long chunks or whatever, and you can't start watching that chunk until the ISP has the whole chunk. Something like that.

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 4, 2020

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

New exciting Apple TV glitch: we clicked on the next episode of a Hulu show in Up Next and it showed us the iTunes store page to buy that episode. Guess something got messed up in the database.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Mine did that a couple times early on and i had ot reslect the stream but no issues after the first quarter I think. I suspect they were having backend problems.

Also, streaming is always going to be behind the tv broadcast. My understanding is its because of how it's sent out in chunks to the ISPs who then stream it to their subscribers. And so it's sent out in 30 second or minute long chunks or whatever, and you can't start watching that chunk until the ISP has the whole chunk. Something like that.

I would've assumed the YouTube TV "broadcast" would've been a stream and thus on roughly the same timing.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I watched some of the super bowl on broadcast tv and it looked terrible. Everything looked blocky and over saturated. I had to double check that I was on the HD channel.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Big Huski Boi posted:

I would've assumed the YouTube TV "broadcast" would've been a stream and thus on roughly the same timing.

I doubt the isps do the mirror thing like they do with the network streams. All those networks are in partnership with the big isps so the isps have servers that get the streaming content from the networks and then stream that to their subscribers But there's only maybe 50 networks that do that, possibly fewer. But youtube has millions of videos that anyone could be streaming at any given time, so unless the isps were going to set up a special stream just for for the youtube superbowl feed, you're just getting it straight from youtube.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/02/06/new-apple-tv-uncovered-tvos-13-4/

There's a new AppleTV machine ID inside the tvOS beta, folks say it could be an upcoming ATV refresh with the current A10X Fusion CPU (quad-core, 2 high performance, 2 high efficiency cores) getting a bump up to an A12X Bionic CPU (hexa-core, 2 high performance, 4 high efficiency cores.)

Or, the equivalent of the CPU bump from the iPhone 7 to an iPhone XS/XR.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

There's a new AppleTV machine ID inside the tvOS beta, folks say it could be an upcoming ATV refresh with the current A10X Fusion CPU (quad-core, 2 high performance, 2 high efficiency cores) getting a bump up to an A12X Bionic CPU (hexa-core, 2 high performance, 4 high efficiency cores.)

Given that the #1 or #2 complaint people have about the Apple TV is the cost, and most analyses have them selling it at or near cost, and even after a couple years it's still providing a far faster/smoother experience than the competition...is this really necessary?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Big Huski Boi posted:

Given that the #1 or #2 complaint people have about the Apple TV is the cost, and most analyses have them selling it at or near cost, and even after a couple years it's still providing a far faster/smoother experience than the competition...is this really necessary?

Yeah it depends on the scenario. If the ATV 4K is the only thing being made with that SOC, it gets cheaper to drop it for a refresh with a current SOC that's being made in larger quantities already.

It's also possible they want something more energy and heat efficient to get rid of the fan in the current model.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

There’s a fan? Is it only in the 4K and not the regular HD one?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Granite Octopus posted:

There’s a fan? Is it only in the 4K and not the regular HD one?

Correct

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Apple+TV+4K+Teardown/97511

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Binary Badger posted:

Thwomp posted:

Add an always-on mic so it can also act as a speaker-less HomePod.

But for reals, it's probably for gaming performance if they really want to grow the Apple Arcade brand.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Like all I want is for them to support VP9 so I can watch 4K Youtube videos. I don't even care if they redesign the remote. Like how will a faster processor make my user experience any better given that I don't play games and everything already seems buttery smooth to me.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

gret posted:

Like all I want is for them to support VP9 so I can watch 4K Youtube videos. I don't even care if they redesign the remote. Like how will a faster processor make my user experience any better given that I don't play games and everything already seems buttery smooth to me.
They're going to skip past and do AV1 - which still isn't going to help for the long-tail videos YouTube won't bother re-encoding.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Thwomp posted:

But for reals, it's probably for gaming performance if they really want to grow the Apple Arcade brand.

This.

They can keep the HD or 4K model as the cheaper alternative to push adoption and position the AppleTVPro or whatever as a budget gaming option. Instead of making their own stick apparently they’ve decided it’s better to just open up the TV app+Airplay directly to TV manufacturers.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Has anyone successfully turned off the auto playing previews on Netflix?

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/2102

I’ve seen a bunch of people celebrating about this, and it seems like it worked for the iPhone app but not on the AppleTV app (which obviously matters way more to me.)

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I turned it on and seems hit or miss. When I start the app the spotlight video doesn't auto play. Scrolling through some stuff still auto plays.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Does picture in picture work with YouTube or nah?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Does picture in picture work with YouTube or nah?

The only iOS/iPadOS workaround for youtube I know is using the Chrome Browser instead of the App so TV is a non-starter.

Even YouTube TV subscribers don't get the luxury.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

lmao ok that’s what I thought just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something obvious

First no 4k now this

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Is it me, or does the Amazon Prime app suck poo poo?

I’m trying to rewatch The Wire for the first time in this app (watched it many times on HBO Go.) I’m like six episodes deep, yet every time I hit Resume, it resumes from the same point in S1E1 where I paused it once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s poo poo on every platform. Is HDR still broken?