Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
The Turkish death toll of the clashes has risen to 8:

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1224352761346695168

And its striking how close Government forces are to Idlib City (twitter maps are always a bit dubious, but no denials from rebel twitter). I'm surprised there hasn't been more of a rebel defence/counterattack at Saraqib, if that falls Idlib city will more or less be on the front line.

https://twitter.com/QalaatAlMudiq/status/1224394605434757128

https://twitter.com/Charles_Lister/status/1224339007837962240

https://twitter.com/CivilWarMap/status/1224387197459140611

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

mediadave posted:

And its striking how close Government forces are to Idlib City (twitter maps are always a bit dubious, but no denials from rebel twitter). I'm surprised there hasn't been more of a rebel defence/counterattack at Saraqib, if that falls Idlib city will more or less be on the front line.

Yeah, a lot of people have been confused about why the rebels haven't managed to pull together a counterattack. My best guess is that Russia's massive bombing campaign is making it hard to concentrate forces, particularly when morale must already be low after seeing the defenses fall apart so quickly. Erdogan's definitely angry, but there's still not any evidence of his willingness to provide rebels with more sophisticated weaponry than they've had before, which clearly hasn't been sufficient. His foreign minister seems to be making an effort to tone down the rhetoric too:

https://twitter.com/DailySabah/status/1224621556816646144

At the end of the day, Turkey's the weaker party in any dispute with Russia, and I think they know the US isn't the reliable ally we used to be (in part because neither is Turkey), so they can't trust us to be around to bail them out if they miscalculate and pick a fight they can't finish. Plus Turkey's economic ties to Russia really are significant, so enduring some pain in the closing days of a war that was lost years ago makes more sense than suddenly riding to the rescue of defeated rebels Turkey abandoned back when they still had more fight left in them.

I wish we were seeing more reporting on what's happening with the civilians fleeing these areas. My understanding is that the infrastructure just isn't there to adequately house them right now, and that it's dangerously cold in northern Syria right now.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I will never understand how the SAA keeps handing brand new MBTs the Russians give them directly to the rebels.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
https://twitter.com/NotWoofers/status/1224681723511832576

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

This seems like a bad idea.

https://twitter.com/NotWoofers/status/1224708253197766657

Turkish artillery seems to be actively targeting Syrian forces in Idlib again now too, though it remains to be seen how serious those efforts are. As Woofers tweeted yesterday, Turkish artillery could devastate SAA forces in the area pretty easily if they were really unleashed, but that could commit Turkey to a broader conflict than they're really interested in having.

For their part, the regime seems to have focused their efforts on backfilling territory today, clearing the remainder of the territory abandoned by rebels to the southeast of Saraqib. I wonder if they're aiming for a broad encirclement of the city so they can try to avoid taking it on with Turkish forces inside. Alternately, if Turkey's going to make capturing the city impossible for now, they could just be gobbling up as much territory as they can in advance of the next cease fire. :shrug: My guess is that this round of fighting isn't over yet though.

Edit: Russia says their base wasn't actually hit, but that there was shelling in the area.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 4, 2020

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Erdogan really ramped up the rhetoric today, saying the SAA needs to withdraw from the areas surrounding all Turkish observation points and return to the limits of the Sochi Agreement by the end of February or Turkey will force them to. Ringing them with Russian MPs seems like the obvious response, but I guess we'll have to see.

On the ground, the regime continues to advance northward to the east of Saraqib, and to the west seems to be at least threatening a move toward Idlib city.

https://twitter.com/WithinSyriaBlog/status/1225047362449571842

After early reports that the regime had captured Saraqib, it looks like they've only cut it off from Aleppo to the north. That still means they've nearly encircled the city, and the rebels seem to have fled, so the capture seems imminent unless Turkey does something.

Or maybe the rebels didn't flee? Nobody knows wtf is going on. Also this thread is loving dead so I'm going to stop posting updates.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 5, 2020

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I appreciated the updates, but I can see how it would be a drag.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
I can see why people have given up caring about the Syrian conflict. We're at the tail end of a nasty conflict where the 'bad guys' are at this point guaranteed to win, just being a matter of when - and the only people remaining who are fighting them are bad guys in their own way.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
I for one am glad to see that the legitimate Syrian govt is finally liberating Idlib from Al Nusra and friends.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

mediadave posted:

I can see why people have given up caring about the Syrian conflict. We're at the tail end of a nasty conflict where the 'bad guys' are at this point guaranteed to win, just being a matter of when - and the only people remaining who are fighting them are bad guys in their own way.

I had to bow out pretty early because it was just depressing as all hell. I wanted to be informed and have a good opinion on things but at some point I just had to stop for my own health.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

thatfatkid posted:

I for one am glad to see that the legitimate Syrian govt is finally liberating Idlib from Al Nusra and friends.

shut the gently caress up

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Sinteres posted:

Also this thread is loving dead so I'm going to stop posting updates.

I'd rather have a page full of threads of updates like this rather than 6 pages of slap fighting over *waves hands around wildly*

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Were in the interwar period where each side is shoring up their respective positions. Turkey will launch another offensive soon. They want to annex half of syria and create a rump state within turkish influence. A russian microstate of tartus and latakia with the Assad fsmily as tje rules.

The middle east is about to be redrawn. And when i say about to be i mean 10 year span not next week.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

HelloSailorSign posted:

I'd rather have a page full of threads of updates like this rather than 6 pages of slap fighting over *waves hands around wildly*

I'm glad the slapfights have quieted down too, it just felt uncomfortably like talking to myself for a bit there.

FWIW, the big news of today is that the regime did succeed in encircling Saraqib, and is in the process of entering and clearing it.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I appreciate the updates but I don’t have much to say at this point.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Sinteres posted:

I'm glad the slapfights have quieted down too, it just felt uncomfortably like talking to myself for a bit there.

FWIW, the big news of today is that the regime did succeed in encircling Saraqib, and is in the process of entering and clearing it.

I appreciate your posts, but I also don't really have much to contribute with respect to discussion.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Were in the interwar period where each side is shoring up their respective positions. Turkey will launch another offensive soon. They want to annex half of syria and create a rump state within turkish influence. A russian microstate of tartus and latakia with the Assad fsmily as tje rules.

The middle east is about to be redrawn. And when i say about to be i mean 10 year span not next week.

Whatever lines they end up drawing are going to be laughable in the face of climate change pressures and mass migration over the next 50+ years. I don't hold a lot of long term hope for the region.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

How are u posted:

Whatever lines they end up drawing are going to be laughable in the face of climate change pressures and mass migration over the next 50+ years. I don't hold a lot of long term hope for the region.

Doesnt mean resourced cant be extracted. Syria will need turkish water to survive.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Sinteres posted:

Nobody knows wtf is going on. Also this thread is loving dead so I'm going to stop posting updates.

I like the updates, I just don't post much myself.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

WoodrowSkillson posted:

shut the gently caress up

Umm wow that's not very nice :(

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

What's the situation in Afghanistan these days? Western media tends to focus on the continuing chaos in the Pashtun and Pakistan-adjacent south; are things any better in the North and Northeast?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

thatfatkid posted:

Umm wow that's not very nice :(

Neither is Assad.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

PittTheElder posted:

What's the situation in Afghanistan these days? Western media tends to focus on the continuing chaos in the Pashtun and Pakistan-adjacent south; are things any better in the North and Northeast?

Taliban has prevailed against the forces of western imperialism.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

steinrokkan posted:

Taliban has prevailed against the forces of western imperialism.

Yeah, basically. It'd be cool if the US tried to negotiate for something like not massacring the Hazara again once the Taliban are back in power, but instead they'll opt for mineral and opiu-agricultural rights or perhaps something even stupider.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Yeah, basically. It'd be cool if the US tried to negotiate for something like not massacring the Hazara again once the Taliban are back in power, but instead they'll opt for mineral and opiu-agricultural rights or perhaps something even stupider.

At least with opium rights, there is a chance that the Talibans would keep their word.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Would the Taliban even negotiate regarding the Hazara? They've never shied away from doing things that piss off the neighbours. Saying "please don't massacre the Hazara we'll pay you" might just make them massacre harder

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Sinteres posted:

the slapfights have only quieted down because there's nothing in the news right now. As soon as any big news hits the thread will be flooded by idiots again hyperventilating about WWIII because this time, for real, Trump is going to go to war with Iran.

There's basically nobody left posting in this thread who can actually hold an interesting conversation, so there's not much point putting real effort into it. I used to try and post updates about places like Somalia and Libya and Afghanistan that don't get much mainstream coverage, but I was always met with deafening silence. Nobody else cares or even has an opinion. At least not until they've been spoon fed one by the New York Times or Russia Today, depending on their preference.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 7, 2020

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I too, appreciate updates posted in this thread and never have anything to contribute with.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Squalid ive always found your posts very helpful in refining my own idea of conflicts in the region.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Squalid posted:

the slapfights have only quieted down because there's nothing in the news right now. As soon as any big news hits the thread will be flooded by idiots again hyperventilating about WWIII because this time, for real, Trump is going to go to war with Iran.

There's basically nobody left posting in this thread who can actually hold an interesting conversation, so there's not much point putting real effort into it. I used to try and post updates about places like Somalia and Libya and Afghanistan that don't get much mainstream coverage, but I was always met with defining silence. Nobody else cares or even has an opinion. At least not until they've been spoon fed one by the New York Times or Russia Today, depending on their preference.

Don't be discouraged, the news are interesting, it's just that there is not much to comment on those developments... The events in those countries have their own logic, they aren't really subject to our speculations or planning (by our I mean the western liberal interventionist angle) so they don't inspire much of a debate, but they are important and interesting nonetheless. All we can do is receive the news as they happen.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Sinteres posted:

side note, is there a way to get a hold of you in private? you dont seem to have PMs enabled

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Squalid ive always found your posts very helpful in refining my own idea of conflicts in the region.

Very much this. Like others have said I don’t have anything to add so I don’t comment saying ‘wow this sucks’ for then six thousandth time.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Apparently, Flight 6Q514 of Syrian company Cham Wings Airlines, carrying 172 passengers, dodged a missile and emergency landed on a Russian air base by the Damas airport.

Anti-air missiles were launched because of an Israeli raid.

https://www.ladepeche.fr/2020/02/07/un-airbus-a320-avec-172-passagers-a-bord-evite-de-peu-un-missile-et-atterrit-durgence,8716660.php

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
According to the Russians the Israelis use civilian airliners as cover to carry out air strikes on the regular.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Orange Devil posted:

According to the Russians the Israelis use civilian airliners as cover to carry out air strikes on the regular.

Pretty sure that's a war crime.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
What justification do the Israelis give for their regular attacks now?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Cat Mattress posted:

Pretty sure that's a war crime.

At least they aren't like those Palestinians, always hiding among the civilian population.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Orange Devil posted:

That sounds like it would result in a lot of airliners complaining, which should be easy to verify.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Orange Devil posted:

Gotta have an excuse ready for when one of their crack air-defence crews stationed in Syria shoot down another airliner by accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Turkey's been moving dozens of vehicles into Idlib over the past few days, and doesn't show any signs of letting up. So far I haven't seen anything showing them moving toward the M5 highway, so the deal they may work out is Assad getting his highway and then Turkey physically guaranteeing the cease fire going forward. Russia established a new post of their own to the south of Turkey's safe zone in Rojava, so it seems like they're working on deterring retaliation in that area.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 7, 2020