Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

On the bright side: This whole debacle triggered such a shitstorm from all directions that Kemmerich just announced his resignation, which in all likelihood will lead to a new election. :toot:

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Feb 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
I just wish people paid as much attention to blocking their own fash though its easy to understand why the German ones get more attention

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Junior G-man posted:

Yeah that's the eventual fate of all these idiots who think they can give the fash just a finger.

You worry too much. Some nice, safe conservative checks will certainly prevent them from goosestepping too much.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Osmosisch posted:

I just wish people paid as much attention to blocking their own fash though its easy to understand why the German ones get more attention

it helps that an actual court has said "yeah this guy's a fascist so it's ok to call him one", it puts a very fine point to the whole debacle

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Perestroika posted:

On the bright side: This whole debacle triggered such a shitstorm from all directions that Kemmerich just announced his resignation, which in all likelihood will lead to a new election. :toot:

I hope he feels this was worth it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Venomous posted:

If the vote had gone 51-49 Remain, the UK would have a general election this year where Corbyn would almost certainly become Prime Minister with a large majority. smdh

If it had gone remain cameron would still be PM.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

You bitch-made motherfucker. You made your bed, now lie in it.

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1225405214091554816?s=20

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

OwlFancier posted:

If it had gone remain cameron would still be PM.

yeah and corbyn would've gotten the anti-austerity/climate change election he wanted. johnson got out of owning austerity by chucking out the last remnants of cameron's loyalists from his cabinet in a friendly media environment, but all the media friendliness in the world can't see chancellor osborne get out of being the face of austerity

Junior G-man posted:

lol this is going to go well

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

BGM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgZj23G9wrI

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Junior G-man posted:

I would like to address the news about my trousers being flooded with poo poo, of which I say this is the case, but I feel it would be divisive to apportion blame right now, and instead ask that we focus on the path forward, which is to remove the turds from these trousers, and potentially have a clean set of trousers in future.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
First, I want to remove the stain of leftists being in charge anywhere at all, and only once that's done and the idea of perhaps not making GBS threads on the poor has been safely removed from political discourse, then and only then I will worry about the stain of having sold my soul to fascists to achieve my primary goal.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Cat Mattress posted:

First, I want to remove the stain of leftists being in charge anywhere at all, and only once that's done and the idea of perhaps not making GBS threads on the poor has been safely removed from political discourse, then and only then I will worry about the stain of having sold my soul to fascists to achieve my primary goal.

Just like von Hindenburg intended :salute:

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Something that was left unclear to me from that independent article. Was afd support actively courted or did they decide to back the fdp candidate on their own accord? If the latter, did the fdp know of their intention beforehand, so he could have done the right thing under the circumstances and withdraw his candidacy?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

you don't push for an uncertain vote of confidence, that's an insane thing to do

probably they tried to just grab the power and it backfired, as such things do, and spiralled out of control. what is *possible* is that they were trying to get AfD to abstain or something bizarre like that, but no. likely result is an emboldened AfD and hopefully a loss of support for the FPD in favour of the Greens or someone so that there's an actual majority, but whatever else happens now they've demonstrated that the right cannot govern without the AfD like idiots.

V. Illych L. fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 6, 2020

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Ah, failed votes of no confidence are not uncommon here in the Netherlands,which is why I asked.

Edit: LOL there had been 29 failed motions of no confidence against Rutte II by mid 2016.

AlexanderCA fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 6, 2020

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

AlexanderCA posted:

Something that was left unclear to me from that independent article. Was afd support actively courted or did they decide to back the fdp candidate on their own accord? If the latter, did the fdp know of their intention beforehand, so he could have done the right thing under the circumstances and withdraw his candidacy?

There's a lot of conflicting statements going around, but what we do know:

- The AfD proactively offered to support the FDP back in November.
- As per Kemmerich himself, the FDP was acutely aware that this outcome was possible or even probable when they decided to put him up as candidate.
- In the first two rounds of voting, there were a couple defectors each for the Linke and the AfD candidate. Kemmerich was only put up in the third round. And in that same round the vote numbers (it's an anonymous vote) were a clean split along party lines between the Linke and the FDP candidate, while the AfD one received no votes at all.

So the FPD definitely knew this could happen, and the candidacy was decided upon with this knowledge in mind. What's more, a few signs point towards this having been coordinated between FDP and the AfD to begin with, possibly with the involvement of the CDU.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Perestroika posted:

There's a lot of conflicting statements going around, but what we do know:

- The AfD proactively offered to support the FDP back in November.
- As per Kemmerich himself, the FDP was acutely aware that this outcome was possible or even probable when they decided to put him up as candidate.
- In the first two rounds of voting, there were a couple defectors each for the Linke and the AfD candidate. Kemmerich was only put up in the third round. And in that same round the vote numbers (it's an anonymous vote) were a clean split along party lines between the Linke and the FDP candidate, while the AfD one received no votes at all.

So the FPD definitely knew this could happen, and the candidacy was decided upon with this knowledge in mind. What's more, a few signs point towards this having been coordinated between FDP and the AfD to begin with, possibly with the involvement of the CDU.

So history is literally dead and liberals learned nothing? Cool cool cool.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Thanks, that's exactly the info I was missing.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

AlexanderCA posted:

Ah, failed votes of no confidence are not uncommon here in the Netherlands,which is why I asked.

Edit: LOL there had been 29 failed motions of no confidence against Rutte II by mid 2016.

you push a confidence vote when you know it's going to fail (for grandstanding) or when you know it's going to succeed (for bringing down the government). you do not run a confidence vote without knowing the count.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

V. Illych L. posted:

you push a confidence vote when you know it's going to fail (for grandstanding) or when you know it's going to succeed (for bringing down the government). you do not run a confidence vote without knowing the count.

The Dutch way is as follows:

IF Parliament is in session THEN lauch no confidence vote ELSE plan to launch a no confidence vote.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Orange Devil posted:

The Dutch way is as follows:

IF Parliament is in session THEN lauch no confidence vote ELSE plan to launch a no confidence vote.

right, but the government hasn't actually fallen to this

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Most governments in the last 20 years eventually fall to one of those votes.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

is it a surprise to anyone when they do

Axel Ferguson
Apr 19, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

is it a surprise to anyone when they do

Categorically, yes.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
As far as I know, a vote of no confidence has passed exactly once, in Spain.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Axel Ferguson posted:

Categorically, yes.

ok i stand corrected i guess idk what the hell is going on in the netherlands

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

V. Illych L. posted:

Coalition government means that a coalition party will sometimes support a motion of no confidence against the government if they think that they stand to gain in the resulting election.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

An insane mind posted:

So history is literally dead and liberals learned nothing? Cool cool cool.

If they were capable of learning they'd not be liberals OP.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

Neither does anyone else, according to several of my Dutch friends.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

D. Ebdrup posted:

Neither does anyone else, according to several of my Dutch friends.

What's going on is the same as everywhere else: creeping fash co-opting centrists.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Centrists generally do not need to be co-opted, as they ultimately serve the same political clientele as the fash and will be ditched at the drop of a hat should it come to be that the fash can more easily satisfy said clientele's demands.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Our new High Representative on the international stage everyone. We are doomed.

https://twitter.com/gndforeurope/status/1225747120101130240?s=20

Also, this analysis of the EU Green Deal is spot on; it's a lot of wordy bullshit that might do some good, but there's no money in it so it's bullshit: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/feb/07/eu-green-deal-greenwash-ursula-von-der-leyen-climate

Junior G-man fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Feb 7, 2020

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Heyo yo Josep, the real question isn't whether or not these kids are willing to lower their standard of living, but whether they're going to be alright with lowering your standard of living you absolute gently caress.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
In less fascist news, can we change the thread title to "thank you, goodbye, and good riddance"?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cat Mattress posted:

In less fascist news, can we change the thread title to "thank you, goodbye, and good riddance"?
Please just stop with this. It will literally only be seen by people who did not want to Brexit, some of whom might legit die to No Deal Brexit if Boris fucks things up.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Please just stop with this. It will literally only be seen by people who did not want to Brexit, some of whom might legit die to No Deal Brexit if Boris fucks things up.

It should be reserved for the climate change thread, IMO.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Meanwhile, thousands of fish died for nothing because of Brexit.

https://twitter.com/nicktolhurst/status/1224787156855599104

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Emmanuel Macron, pilloried at home and abroad, is Europe’s best hope

quote:

Spinning across this dark, forbidding landscape, guided by ideological stars from another era, Macron – once likened to Jupiter, the Roman god of gods – follows a solitary orbit, attacked at home and often patronised or ridiculed abroad.

In a cynical modern world that prioritises national self-interest, disrespects individual rights, and fails to tackle rising inequality, digital dictatorships, and environmental degradation, the odds are stacked against him. Yet with his quaint, almost old-fashioned ideas of solidarity and human betterment, Macron may be Europe’s last, best hope.

So that's it, then. The EU is doomed.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I mean probably yeah but on the other hand the British press is uniformly garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's amazing how you can guess it's a guardian article just by how stupid the take is.