Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

The French Army posted:

I am aboard this ship, ask me anything. Four Chinese nationals were sent to a hospital, 23 immediately deported.

Got a link of the 23 deported? I tried to search on google news and got other horrible news of a toddler killed by the subway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

Rad-daddio posted:

Do you have life insurance?

I kid, but seriously keep us updated.

No. My death will be of zero profit to my family. Even in death goons are useless.

Disembarkation is going pretty smoothly. The first sign of trouble was a bunch of ambulances driving down the dock with news media vans hot on their heels. They started sticking microphones in the faces of the first few people ashore.

PinheadSlim posted:

Is the food good? Do you still get to do fun cruise activities or are you stuck in your cabins masturbating all day?

Yeah pretty good and the specialty restaurants were great.

No, because we just got into port and they're kicking everyone off the floating retirement home so the next batch of old people can get on.

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

stephenthinkpad posted:

Got a link of the 23 deported? I tried to search on google news and got other horrible news of a toddler killed by the subway.

Yes.

E:

Apparently different outlets are reporting things in different ways. All I can say is that they got express removed straight to the airport. Could be by their own design or a deportation but my money is on the latter.

The French Army fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 7, 2020

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

RandomBlue posted:

Nice anime sword.
if only you had been on set to consult about sword authenticity

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 7, 2020

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
twitter.com/ischinar posting a lot of videos etc. purported to be of the Chinese lockdown.

However, ischinar istwittar so take with pinches of salt as you find appropriate.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
https://twitter.com/iamkahiye/status/1225031373330829313

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

The French Army posted:

Yes.

E:

Apparently different outlets are reporting things in different ways. All I can say is that they got express removed straight to the airport. Could be by their own design or a deportation but my money is on the latter.

Would you call it a love boat

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
https://twitter.com/i/status/1225720194749747200

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

Would you call it a love boat

Aside from a few bitter hags bitching about everything, most people were quite friendly. Not really enough to call it a love boat but overall the attitude was positive. I even got laid a few times!by my wife

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Waroduce posted:

The Hot Zone as well as Demon in the Freezer are fantastic books if you find this whole Wuhan thing compelling

Ian Stuart's "The Satan bug" is also pretty neat. I remember reading that as a kid.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Just heard on the radio that scientists now think pangolins could be the reservoir/link between humans and bats for the transmission, as the virus found in bats isn't transmissible to humans, but a variant found in pangolins is closer to to the pandemic version.

Pangolins are endangered and massively hunted in China for food and medicine so it would be quite ironic if this leads to this species salvation

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
If only the Yangtze River dolphin was so diseased

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Just heard on the radio that scientists now think pangolins could be the reservoir/link between humans and bats for the transmission, as the virus found in bats isn't transmissible to humans, but a variant found in pangolins is closer to to the pandemic version.

Pangolins are endangered and massively hunted in China for food and medicine so it would be quite ironic if this leads to this species salvation

Surely you mean every pangolin in china is about to get slaughtered, because that's what's going to happen.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Well, hunting pangolins just became a lot more dangerous and the demand for it will plumet so there is still hope.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Don't touch da pan pangolin

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

The French Army posted:

Aside from a few bitter hags bitching about everything, most people were quite friendly. Not really enough to call it a love boat but overall the attitude was positive. I even got laid a few times!by my wife

Should I cancel my cruise on RC? It’s in March over spring break. Ugh 😩

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
Now a ship in New York/Bayonne. (Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas)

https://twitter.com/KCRG/status/1225805415990145024

Although it's in turnaround port now, but the next group of people are not being allowed on. 4 people from the last sailing were taken away by ambulance this morning.

Although this later:

https://twitter.com/GovMurphy/status/1225798467622252544

They are still delaying it a day, however.

Atricks fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 7, 2020

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Burt Sexual posted:

Should I cancel my cruise on RC? It’s in March over spring break. Ugh 😩

Ask for a discount first. Use your concerned voice.

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

Atricks posted:

Now a ship in New York/Bayonne. (Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas)

https://twitter.com/KCRG/status/1225805415990145024

Although it's in turnaround port now, but the next group of people are not being allowed on. 4 people from the last sailing were taken away by ambulance this morning.

Hey it's like I was posting about this all morning.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

quote:

The number of new coronavirus cases slowed in China for a second day, but it's too early to celebrate, World Health Organization officials said at a news conference. WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the fewer number of cases is "good news," but cautioned the public not to read too much into the new data. "The numbers could go up again," he told reporters. "As you know, epi curves can zig zag," referring to a diagram that shows the distribution of cases over time.

Dog Toothbrush
Oct 21, 2019

by Reene
FYI that P100 filters actually filter to a greater degree than N95 and seem to be more widely available still. All N95 stuff is completely sold out in the US metro I live in.

And if no outbreak happens, Lowes has a 90 day return policy lol

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Are you going to wear those full face industrial breathing mask in the subway? Nobody is even wearing any normal mask except me.

Dog Toothbrush
Oct 21, 2019

by Reene

stephenthinkpad posted:

Are you going to wear those full face industrial breathing mask in the subway? Nobody is even wearing any normal mask except me.

I have the half face model and I wouldn’t wear it unless an outbreak occurred in the US

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I wonder if i can dig out my old cybergoth mask from the garage and use that instead?

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
99% of HKers are walking around with masks on and y'know how trends start in Asia....

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

What the gently caress does this guy actually think he's doing? There must be some internal logic bubbling around in there.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Outrail posted:

What the gently caress does this guy actually think he's doing? There must be some internal logic bubbling around in there.

no why

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
They should stream outbreak, contagion and deep rising to all the rooms on those cruise ships.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Man, I browsed that twitter and another linked to it. There's a lot of depressing stuff like that, guys coughing into a safety slot (whatever you call those slots for passing stuff behind safety glass) at what looks like a hospital, people dead on hospital floors, masks being used and stuffed back into boxes, mass live burial of ducks (???), all kinds of terrible stuff. :( Enough of that.

E: vid of doctor or nurse giving her crying daughter who misses her an "air hug" out in front of the hospital :cry:

Sten Freak fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 7, 2020

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Sten Freak posted:

Man, I browsed that twitter and another linked to it. There's a lot of depressing stuff like that, guys coughing into a safety slot (whatever you call those slots for passing stuff behind safety glass) at what looks like a hospital, people dead on hospital floors, masks being used and stuffed back into boxes, mass live burial of ducks (???), all kinds of terrible stuff. :( Enough of that.

E: vid of doctor or nurse giving her crying daughter who misses her an "air hug" out in front of the hospital :cry:

There's been an avian flu outbreak in China since nCoV started getting attention and bird culls are pretty standard when that happens. I have no idea if live burial of ducks is in line with normal responses within China (in the US I think birds are usually enclosed indoors and either poisoned or asphyxiated with some sort of foam before they're burned or buried), but it's probably unrelated to the nCoV other than by geography.

HAM ON THE BONE
Aug 22, 2009

Pillbug

MarcusSA posted:

Just fuckin fly.

If you catch it in either of those places we are all hosed anyway.

Ok i went to the airport.

The lady next to me at vino volo has coughed 4 times now. :sigh:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Dog Toothbrush posted:

FYI that P100 filters actually filter to a greater degree than N95 and seem to be more widely available still. All N95 stuff is completely sold out in the US metro I live in.

And if no outbreak happens, Lowes has a 90 day return policy lol

Nothing like walking around looking like an asbestos abatement tech to really sell the idea that no, you in fact don't really have shame after all.

Edit: I wonder if the TSA guys would let you through the airport dressed in a bunny suit and respirator. It doesn't SEEM like there's a rule against it, like the one about parachutes.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mozi posted:

literally nobody has been arguing that. it's people who say the situation is serious arguing against people who say this is a genetically engineered bioweapon purposefully released by the CCP that's already infected half the globe

Last week multiple people in this thread were saying this is NBD even as China was quarantining cities and the WHO was declaring a global emergency

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

gary oldmans diary posted:

if only you had been on set to consult about sword authenticity

I was.

Dog Toothbrush
Oct 21, 2019

by Reene

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Nothing like walking around looking like an asbestos abatement tech to really sell the idea that no, you in fact don't really have shame after all.

Edit: I wonder if the TSA guys would let you through the airport dressed in a bunny suit and respirator. It doesn't SEEM like there's a rule against it, like the one about parachutes.

Haha yeah but actually I’m a former emt who’s been fitted and certified to wear n95 masks, it’s amazing how easy it is to wear them improperly and I can for drat sure say that I’d rather be wearing an n95+ mask than a surgical one if a bug is actually in the air around me

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Outrail posted:

There is literally a 90% chance that its just a general "gently caress you if im sick you are getting sick" mindset.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I am conflicted about the usage of masks. I live in a majority Chinese neighborhood in SF, ever since mid-Jan the number of masks that are being worn has gone up an order of magnitude at least. On my commute, I see people with cotton masks, N95 masks, and all other sorts of masks. I see N95 masks left on the street, almost daily.

I have only seen one person who actually had a proper fitted N95 mask and goggles. Everybody else just does it to... feel better I guess? That is why I'm conflicted. Half of me wants to yell at the people doing this to tell them they're ignorant, the other half of me says who cares, it's making them feel better (even if it isn't protecting them).

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

If you're in Europe then the same goes for FFP3 or P3 rated respirators. For FFP3 rated respirators then the 3M 8835+ are rated for multiple shifts, so clean the rubber face seal and you're good to reuse them. FFP2/P2 respirators are equivalent to N95, readily available, and cheaper.

Dog Toothbrush
Oct 21, 2019

by Reene

mitztronic posted:

I am conflicted about the usage of masks. I live in a majority Chinese neighborhood in SF, ever since mid-Jan the number of masks that are being worn has gone up an order of magnitude at least. On my commute, I see people with cotton masks, N95 masks, and all other sorts of masks. I see N95 masks left on the street, almost daily.

I have only seen one person who actually had a proper fitted N95 mask and goggles. Everybody else just does it to... feel better I guess? That is why I'm conflicted. Half of me wants to yell at the people doing this to tell them they're ignorant, the other half of me says who cares, it's making them feel better (even if it isn't protecting them).

How can you tell if a mask is properly fitted without closely inspecting it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Dog Toothbrush posted:

How can you tell if a mask is properly fitted without closely inspecting it

If it isn’t correctly fitted, your lungs fill with blood and you drown while thinking about how many people close to you must have contracted this dying infection from you over the previous days.