Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There's still definitely a nuanced argument to be made for it. Even if you are to include asexual people under the LGBT+ umbrella, they absolutely haven't faced nearly as much hardship as homosexual or trans people. People don't get lynched, denied a job or housing, chemically castrated, or imprisoned because they aren't interested in having sex. I can understand why someone who's experienced serious problems due to their sexuality or gender identity would chafe at an asexual person claiming to be equally oppressed by society.

At the same time, that doesn't mean you have to go all the way to "Asexuals are liars stealing my identity! We're kicking you out of the club!" But as with any hot button issue that isn't actually black and white, people tend to just declare their position the only valid one and anyone who disagrees is a shitlord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

CommissarMega posted:

:allears: I'm not even American (not that you have to be), and I can see that this doesn't show what he wants it to.

It looks like people had some money when bush was president, less money during Obama’s presidency and the most during trumps reign. Am I missing something?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

oldpainless posted:

It looks like people had some money when bush was president, less money during Obama’s presidency and the most during trumps reign. Am I missing something?

Bush started a massive crash that Obama turned into a big upswing that Trump is coasting on.

More like ReadChartsLess

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

oldpainless posted:

A knowledge of basic economics

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

oldpainless posted:

They lost all their money because of the housing crash that happened because of Bush policies and happened before Obama was even elected, let alone actually president. If I remember correctly the economy started recovering in like March of his first year, so almost immediately.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

No. I’m afraid you’re all wrong and furthermore extremely dumb. The chart clearly show less money with Obama and more money with the republican.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
A correction

More like oldtrollmore

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
From my local city Facebook group. Most of the replies are just making fun of him.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

PetraCore posted:

Yeah I fall on the side of asexuals absolutely welcome, with the caveat that if you're gatekeeping you're not really helping the wider community. We're stronger together than apart, and I'm uncomfortable with saying a certain threshold of pain needs to be objectively reached to be queer.

You start going down that path, you get people cutting out trans people because it's not about sexuality, or bi people because they can 'pass', or whatever stupid poo poo. No thanks.

Hell, I've seen people claim that if you're bi and get straight married, you were clearly faking it and aren't actually bi. So apparently if you're bi you're expected to be exclusively gay for life otherwise it doesn't count.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Staryberry posted:

From my local city Facebook group. Most of the replies are just making fun of him.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Picnic Princess posted:

Hell, I've seen people claim that if you're bi and get straight married, you were clearly faking it and aren't actually bi. So apparently if you're bi you're expected to be exclusively gay for life otherwise it doesn't count.

Plus harassment of bisexual and trans people with their partners at pride parades because they look like a hetero couple.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

oldpainless posted:

No. I’m afraid you’re all wrong and furthermore extremely dumb. The chart clearly show less money with Obama and more money with the republican.

Clearly what it shows is that Republicans are better for the market and that everyone is psychic. See, Bush's presidency was great for the market, but everyone knew that a stupid democrat was going to get elected next so the market started retracting in fear. Then when Obummer was in office everybody knew that a noble republican was going to come in next to fix things up, so they started being more optimistic about the market, and that's why it got better.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

chitoryu12 posted:

There's still definitely a nuanced argument to be made for it. Even if you are to include asexual people under the LGBT+ umbrella, they absolutely haven't faced nearly as much hardship as homosexual or trans people. People don't get lynched, denied a job or housing, chemically castrated, or imprisoned because they aren't interested in having sex. I can understand why someone who's experienced serious problems due to their sexuality or gender identity would chafe at an asexual person claiming to be equally oppressed by society.

At the same time, that doesn't mean you have to go all the way to "Asexuals are liars stealing my identity! We're kicking you out of the club!" But as with any hot button issue that isn't actually black and white, people tend to just declare their position the only valid one and anyone who disagrees is a shitlord.
Yeah, I definitely get that, and I've considered those arguments, but I ultimately think the damage that results by gatekeeping the community based on amount of suffering causes more problems in the long run than hypothetical problems I've seen leveraged as to why including asexuals would be a problem. Like, the gatekeeping I see is based on the idea of there being limited resources, so if you add more people nobody gets properly supported, but trimming down who's considered an 'acceptable queer' based on bigoted people in power strangling resources for us is a problem that's rooted in the bigoted people in power, not the size of the community. It's just a way for bigots to get us to fight each other for scraps that they'll withdraw as soon as they can because 'nobody is using it anyway'.

It's also the argument I've seen for gatekeeping who is 'trans enough', because of policies in place that make it hard for the people who need to medically transition to do so, and I feel really bad for those people but the bigots running things aren't going to listen to them more if they're 'obedient' enough. It always seems like a tactic designed to drive people to emotional extremes so that the bigots can then point at them and say, see, those trans people are really messed up.

I know this isn't really the thread for in-depth sociopolitical discussions, I'm just hoping to make some people who haven't had to be aware of this more cognizant of the sort of divide and conquer politics going on here.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

The queer community only gets more powerful as it becomes more inclusive

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Can we gatekeep the demisexuals?

I mean we're practically at "white people are colored because white is a color" at this point.

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009
She's from Wyoming, I just find her misspellings amusing.

quote:

George said that the Declaration of Independence Articles of War state that the American Military should have tryed Hillary Clinton and any of her Democrats cohart(s) for HighTreason, as our country America is still at a state of War.
Seeing how they the Brass and (JAGE) in that funny looking box on the hill have not kept their American Military Oth's to the Constitution and to we the people's of American.
It is there for the responsibility of American People to petition the Sappream Court of the United States Of America to try Hillary Clinton for High Treason, and High Crime's Against Humanity.
The catch is she Hillary Clinton did not stand trail for the Murders of our American In-bass-iter, and his American personal, and his American U. S. Military Guard.
Trump said that if they terrorists kill Americans, our American Military will kill them., Well lets try Hillary Clinton and those with her, for Murder 1, one, after all she has not been tired by the Military, or even in one of our United States Federal Courts of Law, has she Mr. Trump.
So Mr President the 8th ball is still in your corner
EL SHADDAI bless you President Trump with guts to do what is right.

This was from January 30th, not sure what event it's referencing, I think George is/was her husband?

quote:

George is wondering why project bluebook is stateing that the sand people (R) used a tractorbeam to pull the bug onto their property., That is B. S., You all at Uncle gave to them freely, by stateing it on YOUTUBE, that it had been caught in a sandstorm, and where you all were putting it down at, making sure that sandpeople new its location on their property, it was the Obama administration that committed this act of TREASON against us the American People, just like they are doing now to our president Trump, it ties in with the Benghazi (MURDERS) on hillerie's watch, Alex Jones even put it on his page, Julien Assange Wikileaks and let's not forget that it was also on hilleries watch that China got the 250Billion JET, also J. S wikileaks.
So tell me George Keeping who died and went to hell for (my) country America fighting against communism, the very communists who R trying to take down Trump because he Trump took away their
$$$$$.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Kit Walker posted:

The queer community only gets more powerful as it becomes more inclusive

when everyone is queer, then no one will be :twisted:

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Asexuals face a lot of very lovely situations and trying to quantify oppression is a fools' errand.

It's a valid sexuality and we should include them in LGBTQ.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

They lost all their money because of the housing crash that happened because of Bush policies and happened before Obama was even elected, let alone actually president. If I remember correctly the economy started recovering in like March of his first year, so almost immediately.

GDP was down .01% in 2008, minus 2.5% in 2009, and up 2.6% in 2010, so the recession ended sometime in late 2009 or 2010. Most of the stuff to save the economy was done before Obama took Office, but he gets credit for the recovery.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Katt posted:

Can we gatekeep the demisexuals?

I mean we're practically at "white people are colored because white is a color" at this point.

I once had someone try to argue to my face that I had to classify myself as demisexual because I said I wasn't interested in random sex with people I don't know.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

How Rude posted:

Asexuals face a lot of very lovely situations and trying to quantify oppression is a fools' errand.

It's a valid sexuality and we should include them in LGBTQ.

Gay people be like: We were killed on principle for 2000 years and now we can get married.

Asexuals be like: Oh yeah but this stranger on discord asked me why I didn't like sex. Which is basically a holocaust on me as a person.

No seriously. Whenever aces try to quantify their struggle it's 100% chat logs but framed as if they're confronted by armed gangs on the street as opposed to curious or confused strangers on the internet who don't feel strongly about it either way.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

I once had someone try to argue to my face that I had to classify myself as demisexual because I said I wasn't interested in random sex with people I don't know.

This is basically what the asexual community had a lot of in the early 2010’s. There were a ton of teens on tumblr who only knew the world through the lens of media and fanfiction and thought everyone around them was just constantly loving all the time. Since they weren’t interested in that, they must be asexual, even though they still wanted to have sex, just with people they liked. The fact that’s pretty common never crossed their mind.

Tumblr really was good at manufacturing social media idiocy.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

ACAB, including the Horny Police.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Katt posted:

Gay people be like: We were killed on principle for 2000 years and now we can get married.

Asexuals be like: Oh yeah but this stranger on discord asked me why I didn't like sex. Which is basically a holocaust on me as a person.

No seriously. Whenever aces try to quantify their struggle it's 100% chat logs but framed as if they're confronted by armed gangs on the street as opposed to curious or confused strangers who don't feel strongly about it either way.

I'd assume most aexual oppression would be in the form of microaggressions from people they know, which in some cases could be nearly constant. "You aren't assexual you just haven't met the right guy." "You're so pretty you can't be asexual." "You're just shy." "That's not a real thing, you're just looking for attention." "It's just a phase." "Okay but when are you giving me grandchildren?" "You'll feel differently when you meet the right person and fall in love." Etc. People denying your existence has to get you down sooner or later.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

That70sHeidi posted:

She's from Wyoming, I just find her misspellings amusing.

This was from January 30th, not sure what event it's referencing, I think George is/was her husband?

Maybe she's like my cousins, who could spell just fine until after they got their high school diplomas? Both spelling and legibility have been in a slow-but-steady decline since their graduations. What I'm saying is, we didd get gradded on speling in Wyoming skouls. Honust engine!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ugly In The Morning posted:

This is basically what the asexual community had a lot of in the early 2010’s. There were a ton of teens on tumblr who only knew the world through the lens of media and fanfiction and thought everyone around them was just constantly loving all the time. Since they weren’t interested in that, they must be asexual, even though they still wanted to have sex, just with people they liked. The fact that’s pretty common never crossed their mind.

Tumblr really was good at manufacturing social media idiocy.

Oh I had a fling with a girl like that once. Swore up and down that she was asexual, despite being incredibly horny and constantly wanting to gently caress, because she "didn't actually need sex."

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

The problem is probably with me. But I've volunteered at an LGBTQ support center for several years. And when I see asexuals/demisexuals online (which is the only place I encounter them as an oppressed minority) what I see are 100% white people who are grasping at the last straws to fervently belong to a minority group.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It seems like discussing which minorities really count as minorities is not the point of this thread and also kinda gross.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Katt posted:

The problem is probably with me. But I've volunteered at an LGBTQ support center for several years. And when I see asexuals/demisexuals online (which is the only place I encounter them as an oppressed minority) what I see are 100% white people who are grasping at the last straws to fervently belong to a minority group.

Well, yeah, anything 'special' is going to attract people who need to be special. Bored kids who want an identity. Then there's the narcissists and mentally ill who latch onto a thing to explain their chaotic world.

Still, a million extremely online assholes with poor social skills who self-diagnosed themselves with aspergers doesn't make the struggles of people who legitimately have autism spectrum disorder less real. Likewise extremely online assholes calling themselves asexual or bisexual online while being indistinguishable from straight doesn't mean bisexual and asexual people don't exist.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Facebook Aunt posted:

I'd assume most aexual oppression would be in the form of microaggressions from people they know, which in some cases could be nearly constant. "You aren't assexual you just haven't met the right guy." "You're so pretty you can't be asexual." "You're just shy." "That's not a real thing, you're just looking for attention." "It's just a phase." "Okay but when are you giving me grandchildren?" "You'll feel differently when you meet the right person and fall in love." Etc. People denying your existence has to get you down sooner or later.

I'm sure it doesn't help that there are medical conditions (and medical procedures/interventions) that will cause someone to present like an asexual.

A friend of mine was on antidepressants through high school and swore up and down she was asexual - she wasn't interested in sex, never masterbated, never felt physiological arousal. Then one day in undergrad the doctor switched her off the SSRI and suddenly she was a very hetero lady making up for lost time.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Pththya-lyi posted:

I remember reading stuff - on this very website, no less! - about how asexuals are just repressed trendy teens trying to coopt the LGBT struggle.

I wrote this thinking the days I was describing were over. I guess I was wrong.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Araenna posted:

It seems like discussing which minorities really count as minorities is not the point of this thread and also kinda gross.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Technically it contributes to the thread's purpose

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Facebook Aunt posted:

Well, yeah, anything 'special' is going to attract people who need to be special. Bored kids who want an identity. Then there's the narcissists and mentally ill who latch onto a thing to explain their chaotic world.

Still, a million extremely online assholes with poor social skills who self-diagnosed themselves with aspergers doesn't make the struggles of people who legitimately have autism spectrum disorder less real. Likewise extremely online assholes calling themselves asexual or bisexual online while being indistinguishable from straight doesn't mean bisexual and asexual people don't exist.

To be clear, Katt's talking about demisexual folks, not bisexual folks. Don't think anyone here is trying to gatekeep bi people.

Demisexual people claim they're a thing because they only want to have sex with someone after getting to know them.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Emily Spinach posted:

To be clear, Katt's talking about demisexual folks, not bisexual folks. Don't think anyone here is trying to gatekeep bi people.

Demisexual people claim they're a thing because they only want to have sex with someone after getting to know them.

Actually they only want to have sex with demi moore

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

oldpainless posted:

I wouldn't expect any less

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

oldpainless posted:

Oh, well that's entirely different, because nobody truly knows Demi Moore.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Emily Spinach posted:

That's it.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

demisexuals are a symptom of heteronormative patriarchy. if you've ever actually been to a protest, you'll know that the willingness to stand next to you and hold up a banner and shout in unison is the important part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
https://twitter.com/DAaronovitch/status/1225866493042315264
I know what two words you're all thinking: how elaborate?
https://twitter.com/DAaronovitch/status/1225870195220238337
A literal wallet inspection :v: