Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

If you're concidering wearing a mask stay home you dumbasses. They're close to useless for protecting yourself and if you don't want to infect anybody that's when you stay home and don't be a selfish rear end in a top hat .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

sincx posted:

The lesson I got from that one Carnival cruise which lost power and literally had sewage from the expensive higher level cabins "trickle down" into the cheap lower level interior rooms, is that if I ever have to take a cruise, spend the extra for a balcony room.

Those people stuck in the interior rooms on the Diamind Princess can only go outside for 30 minutes once every 3 days. That's worse than most prisons.

Here's what the 160 square foot interior cabins look like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt9JPRXubZM

You either sit on your bed or fight over the single chair. For 14 days. Ppl gonna get murdered, lol.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
I will allow no fearmongering on my We Are All Gonna Die thread

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Facebook Aunt posted:

Here's what the 160 square foot interior cabins look like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt9JPRXubZM

You either sit on your bed or fight over the single chair. For 14 days. Ppl gonna get murdered, lol.

As a goon, this seems like something I'd excel at.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Whitlam posted:

Mods cruise.

I've been sick for about a month now and got better briefly before getting again. I went to the doctor and the receptionists were talking about how you can't trust Asians to tell the truth about where they've been because they don't want to get sent to Christmas Island which would be fair enough if it was a) true and b) not racist af.

Who wouldn’t want to go to an island where it’s always Christmas

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

QuarkJets posted:

I was just joking but it's probably possible in the right circumstances, ncov can be found in feces so if an infected person isn't wearing pants and rips one in your face then you'll probably be infected

If I remember right during SARS (which is from a similar virus) there was one particular apartment block in Hong Kong that got hit particularly hard, and they later figured out it was because the sewer/drainage system in the building wasn't up to snuff and allowed malevolent poo vapors from a couple SARS cases to recirculate in the building and infect a bunch of their neighbors.

So, maybe hold your breath in public restrooms for a while instead of huffing the aroma.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

EngineerJoe posted:

As a goon, this seems like something I'd excel at.

Alone? Sure. But if you're cheap enough to get an interior cabin you've probably got someone in that other twin bunk, even if it's just your bro or your mom. You are going to get so sick of looking at eachother's faces in those big mirrors all day.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Known Lecher posted:

If I remember right during SARS (which is from a similar virus) there was one particular apartment block in Hong Kong that got hit particularly hard, and they later figured out it was because the sewer/drainage system in the building wasn't up to snuff and allowed malevolent poo vapors from a couple SARS cases to recirculate in the building and infect a bunch of their neighbors.

So, maybe hold your breath in public restrooms for a while instead of huffing the aroma.

Correct - the water traps were dried out and the virus aerosolized upon flush and went down the drain.

Keep drains wet.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Known Lecher posted:

malevolent poo vapors

love it

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Can the virus spread through farts?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

poverty goat posted:

can you even gently caress a pangolin?

another day volunteering at the pangolin reserve. everyone keeps asking me if they can gently caress the pangolins. buddy, they wont even let me gently caress em

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Burt Sexual posted:

Can someone link some deece n95 or whatever’s for me.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Just get a gimp mask, they are just as good

Not sure how legit this is but I found 1 cent N99 filters for my gimp mask.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Has there been any virus transmitted butt to butt? Gonna wear a butt mask just in case

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Graph summary of the friday numbers. https://twitter.com/mithaldu/status/1225935528740237313

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

poty posted:

Has there been any virus transmitted butt to butt? Gonna wear a butt mask just in case

Metis alt spotted.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Not sure how legit this is but I found 1 cent N99 filters for my gimp mask.

If it's not certified by your local OSHA authority, it's no good.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

:rolleyes:

The person I'm thinking of specifically runs a lab researching SARS and MERS, is a full professor with outrageous funding, and was requested to write the top-line editorial for the preeminent American medical journal giving his insight into this new outbreak. He might actually be the world's foremost authority on coronaviridae pathology in humans. I'm not going to disclose his name or the details of his personal communications but the insight I'm offering to you - take it or leave it - is that he's been markedly more concerned about this epidemic in private - especially about the failure of the initial Chinese response - than the reassuring platitudes you're being fed.

It's not surprising that your friend, the American local public health authority, remains more concerned about seasonal flu, given that at this time literally zero Americans have died from this new outbreak. Whether that remains the case will depend on the degree to which the Chinese quarantine is effective.

I've traveled in China, toured hospitals in China, met with public health officials and physicians in China. It's not fear mongering to say "watch the Chinese response for clearer information about how badly this is going for them." It's not fear mongering to point out that they've essentially shut down the entire Chinese economy. This is a response that is absolutely unprecedented in modern times.

I hope to be wrong, but this one seems pretty catchy, and it doesn't seem to be at all under control.

What the hell is the point of expressing more concern only in private? This guy is essentially doing what the wuhan official were doing.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Burt Sexual posted:

I’m v old

American cruises are getting infected and quarantined. You have a very good chance of not getting coronavirus on your trip, but you also have a decent chance of your cruise being quarantined and possibly being stuck in your cabin for 14 days doing nothing and fighting other passengers for booze and food.

Have fun!

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Google pangolin rule 34

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Bip Roberts posted:

Google coronavirus rule 34

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Lol like Burt stays in 160 sq rooms, mods make mad cash

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

stephenthinkpad posted:

What the hell is the point of expressing more concern only in private? This guy is essentially doing what the wuhan official were doing.

They probably don't want to be labeled as an alarmist by their peers.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Last week multiple people in this thread were saying this is NBD even as China was quarantining cities and the WHO was declaring a global emergency

I'm still in team nbd but only until we start to see a massive spike in infections, hospitalizations, & K/D ratios in cases outside of China. Which we might start seeing... any day now?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Burt Sexual posted:

Lol like Burt stays in 160 sq rooms, mods make mad cash

Wait I thought this was like stripping and we had to pay to do this

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

We Are All Gonna Die: otherwise fairly normal progress so far

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Play posted:

this is pangolinman. we should probably have a good hard look at this character as the potential mastermind

Hello, sailor.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Facebook Aunt posted:

Hello, sailor.

That thing is loving adorable

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Here's a baby

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1225906139122016257

https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1225917304862629888

https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1225939107530100739

https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1225940974293176323

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Bronze Fonz posted:

We Are All Gonna Die: otherwise fairly normal progress so far
:geno:

I'm glad the dry tone is appreciated. :)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Japanese cruise ship people are not in for a good time

https://twitter.com/quarantinedond1/status/1225950755330199552?s=21

Before they wouldn’t be allowed off till feb 19th. Now...

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

mitztronic posted:

I have only seen one person who actually had a proper fitted N95 mask and goggles. Everybody else just does it to... feel better I guess? That is why I'm conflicted. Half of me wants to yell at the people doing this to tell them they're ignorant, the other half of me says who cares, it's making them feel better (even if it isn't protecting them).
The worry is that these folks who already half-panicked and irrationally adopting faulty guards against sickness will, if things do get worse, start getting angry at folks who aren't doing the same performative bullshit. Potentially to the point of lobbying their local/state reps who will then themselves push unscientific and unhelpful measures on everyone else.

Best to push back now before folks get into "I've got to be seen doing something" mode.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Oh poo poo how screwed are those poor bastards.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Saros posted:

Oh poo poo how screwed are those poor bastards.

One way or another i bet they never go on a cruise again.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
So china's insane response to this opportunistically taking advantage of the situation to:

Test the public's toleration of the imposition of draconian restrictions
Test capablility to impose draconian restrictions
Test efficacy of lockdown to prevent the spread of a real bio weapon attack
Test results of a large scale lockdown in the event of a crisis

Right?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

MarcusSA posted:

The window-less below deck class is so going to revolt and take over the bacolny deck and send the rich people to the infected rooms.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

can't wait till this becomes a Major Motion Picture

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vegetable posted:

can't wait till this becomes a Major Motion Picture

It’s gonna be like lord of the flies but middle aged businessmen instead of kids.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Methanar posted:

So china's insane response to this opportunistically taking advantage of the situation to:

Test the public's toleration of the imposition of draconian restrictions
Test capablility to impose draconian restrictions
Test efficacy of lockdown to prevent the spread of a real bio weapon attack
Test results of a large scale lockdown in the event of a crisis

Right?

From what I've read in the news it's backfiring tremendously, especially after the whistleblower doc has died. I think they're going to discover the limits of what even a deferential culture will tolerate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Toothbrush
Oct 21, 2019

by Reene

Cugel the Clever posted:

The worry is that these folks who already half-panicked and irrationally adopting faulty guards against sickness will, if things do get worse, start getting angry at folks who aren't doing the same performative bullshit. Potentially to the point of lobbying their local/state reps who will then themselves push unscientific and unhelpful measures on everyone else.

Best to push back now before folks get into "I've got to be seen doing something" mode.

Wearing masks is actually an effective prophylactic against spreading the disease and somewhat-to-not-very effective against getting it, kind of important for a disease that’s communicable for weeks before symptoms arise. Performative my rear end