Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
If B Bros campaigns lasted like 1/20th as long as they do I'd consider it a roguelite personally, but when a campaign that never gets off the ground can take like 6 hours of playing to get in to a death spiral and a successful campaign can last 80+ hours, it doesn't really have that snappy je ne sais quoi of the genre. But yeah Battle Brothers rules regardless of roguelikeness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Dackel posted:

rename thread to Rougelikes or the original term comme des Rouges

+1

golden bubble posted:

And having a shorter playtime. Like Ironman XCom, it is very difficult to beat a game in a single day, and that makes it not conducive to permadeath.

Wait when did short playtimes become a distinguishing feature of roguelikes? :( My go-to was ULEs in ADOM, those weren't happening in a day

Gorram young 'uns and their newfangled Rouge-similars

On a perhaps related note, I play BB on Veteran Ironman and have yet to get to the first crisis. Other than my mid-life crisis

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Remember, only buy procedural death labyrinths bearing the comme de Rouge protected region label!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

tentacles posted:

+1

Wait when did short playtimes become a distinguishing feature of roguelikes?

He just thinks roguelikes have short playtimes because he sucks and dies often.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Dramicus posted:

He just thinks roguelikes have short playtimes because he sucks and dies often.

Don't doxx me

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

tentacles posted:

Why is this thread not apeshit all over Battle Brothers?

Permanent death, procedurally generated worlds/mans/battles, hunger mechanics, deep combat/skills/economy/systems... Low-fantasy Warhammer lite setting... It scratches all the itches except ASCII

Ignoring the question as to whether it is a roguelike or not (I don't think it is myself), it has its own thread, which probably contributes to it being mostly discussed in depth there.

edit: fixed link

Prism fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 6, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

tentacles posted:

+1

Wait when did short playtimes become a distinguishing feature of roguelikes? :( My go-to was ULEs in ADOM, those weren't happening in a day

Grond has beaten ADOM in under an hour.

Then again, for him permadeath is hardly a feature of the game either. Someone asked him once at what level he considered the game to be inevitably won, and he answered "level 1". Unless he's trying a gimmick he won't ever lose.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Jedit posted:

Grond has beaten ADOM in under an hour.

Then again, for him permadeath is hardly a feature of the game either. Someone asked him once at what level he considered the game to be inevitably won, and he answered "level 1". Unless he's trying a gimmick he won't ever lose.

the adom channel meme of claiming earlier and earlier points in the game to being already won reaches its natural conclusion. all things are as they should be.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

tentacles posted:

Gorram young 'uns and their newfangled Rouge-similars

On a perhaps related note, I play BB on Veteran Ironman and have yet to get to the first crisis. Other than my mid-life crisis

A savant can beat ADOM in a day. Nethack can be beaten in under 9 hours, though a speedrun can be much faster than that. But even a master of BB can't go through the battles fast enough to beat a BB crisis in a day. And by beat I mean complete at least three crisis missions. Refusing to get involved in a noble war does not count as beating a crisis in BB.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
If you have Amazon Twitch Prime Stredenn is now free for the month of February. Stredenn is basically the best of the rogue-like 2d shooters out there so def grab it if that even slightly interest you.

And a bunch of Brazillians are going to release a Monster Taming Action Roguelike on EA soon:

https://twitter.com/CadabraGames/status/1224716651918188548

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

BexGu posted:

If you have Amazon Twitch Prime Stredenn is now free for the month of February. Stredenn is basically the best of the rogue-like 2d shooters out there so def grab it if that even slightly interest you.

And a bunch of Brazillians are going to release a Monster Taming Action Roguelike on EA soon:

https://twitter.com/CadabraGames/status/1224716651918188548

That game looks interesting but the game slowing down everytime something takes damage would drive me up a wall.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Stoneshard is out but the negative reviews make it sound extremely thin on content, and what’s there has some issues.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Both Straimium Immortaly and Children of Morta are on sale on the nintendo eshop right now.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Morta also just had the first big update of the year go live yesterday with balancing, Hard Mode, 20 new items, etc.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

Stoneshard is out but the negative reviews make it sound extremely thin on content, and what’s there has some issues.

I bought it and refunded it after 20 minutes - the presentation is great but it leads to a lot of time-wastey moments where you sit around waiting for an enemy's spell animation to finish before you can make your next move. They're tiny little 1-2 second pauses but there were so many of them it ruined my whole roguelike cadence

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

my friend played it for about 10 minutes, then the game told him that to look at his map to find something and the map turned out to be a big greyed out screen saying NOT IMPLEMENTED so he stopped

early access

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009
Is there a thread going for ToME4? I could’ve sworn I’ve seen a post or two referring to it in this thread but I can’t seem to find it through searching

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Brimruk posted:

Is there a thread going for ToME4? I could’ve sworn I’ve seen a post or two referring to it in this thread but I can’t seem to find it through searching

Yep https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3604865

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Someone said they were going to make a new one but I think they got busy.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

TOOT BOOT posted:

I watched a little of a stream of it, it took a few tries to get going but they were really excited for its potential. Can anyone say anything positive about Stoneshard or is it just stay away for now

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I watched a little of a stream of it, it took a few tries to get going but they were really excited for its potential. Can anyone say anything positive about Stoneshard or is it just stay away for now

It's action packed, got some decent writing, the injury system, and hunger/thirst system don't feel like a chore, and it looks like a souped up 32 bit game.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Junkie Disease posted:

It's action packed, got some decent writing, the injury system, and hunger/thirst system don't feel like a chore, and it looks like a souped up 32 bit game.

That sounds good to me!

Also someone in the steam thread posting the free prologue which I missed, if anyone else did as well...

https://store.steampowered.com/app/869760/Stoneshard_Prologue/

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

From a quick glance at Stoneshard I'm getting some Cataclysm DDA vibes. It doesn't seem like it has remotely as much crafting but the large attention paid to injuries, pain, hunger and thirst made me think of it.

edit: I skipped lunch today and picked up Stoneshard. My first question: why in the world is this capped to 40 fps?

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 8, 2020

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Gooch181 posted:

How's "Door in the Woods"? You've gotta have some snazzy looking ASCII to excite me, and this sure looks like it does. It also happens to be on sale.

was good on release and the dev's added an absolute fuckton of stuff since then

go in as blind as feasible, a lot of the fun is in figuring out how the systems kill you constantly work

one mechanics note i think should be shared though: you can bust open locked doors by walking into them twice, my first two runs I couldn't figure out how to get into buildings and it was more infuriating than exploratory

edit: and also I guess the beautiful initial-scenario concept: you get experiences (used to improve your stats or unlock new characters/scenarios mostly by being insane (and some by surviving). However, all of them are lost if you die while insane. Fortunately, you can kill yourself (after a couple turns) with a bladed weapon, or instantly with a firearm, and one of the most convenient ways to raise sanity is by being drunk, so the classic way to end a run is to barricade yourself in a room, get really drunk, and blow your brains out.

The initially unlocked character starts with a pistol and exactly one bullet. :allears:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 8, 2020

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

From a quick glance at Stoneshard I'm getting some Cataclysm DDA vibes. It doesn't seem like it has remotely as much crafting but the large attention paid to injuries, pain, hunger and thirst made me think of it.

edit: I skipped lunch today and picked up Stoneshard. My first question: why in the world is this capped to 40 fps?

It looks cool but apparently it doesn't save when you quit the game, only if you're at an inn? That's like an absolute hard pass.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Synthetik is amazing, everyone should go play it.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Oh no you're going to trigger the Synthetik rage again

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

GreyjoyBastard posted:

was good on release and the dev's added an absolute fuckton of stuff since...

Sold. That sounds great. Thank you!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

45 minutes into Stoneshard and I finished the tutorial/prologue. Spritework and animation are pretty good. Pacing has serious issues, there's a lot of animation delay -- reminds me quite a bit of Dungeons of Dredmor in that respect. Speaking of Dredmor, there's plenty of skills to learn. The boss fight was pretty cool.

This has a ton of potential to go somewhere but it's in extremely early beta right now. It looks like they put a ton of effort into finishing the prologue/tutorial so they could get Early Access up and running and the rest of the beta will be adding more content and polish. There's a bunch of niggling interface issues that I don't like (lag on moving skills around on your hotbar, for example, really shouldn't be acceptable).

I think the 40 FPS thing is because this is made in Game Maker or something like that, the engine feels familiar.

One of the things that really draws me to roguelikes, though, is that I can play at my own speed. I can play Crawl, CDDA, or Qud as fast as I can read the text, the fast mode in Slay the Spire is great, etc. Right now Stoneshard is significantly slower to play than these other games and that may eventually be a deal breaker for me.

Another thing, and this drives me absolutely insane in other games that do this (Torchlight, TOME, etc) -- please stop piling dozens of stats on pieces of gear and forcing me to carefully parse lists of largely irrelevant and randomized stats to minmax them. Comparing a pair of gloves that have +3% Rending resistance +4% Fire resistance +1% Dodge to another pair of gloves with +2% Rending resistance +1% Cold resistance +3% Fire resistance +1% Bashing resistance is not remotely fun and the list of traits is only that short because I don't want to bother typing more of these. When you combine that with the like 12+ equipment slots my eyes glaze over really fast.

Only saving at inns doesn't seem like a big deal, but I agree I would like a quicksave feature.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Scourgebringer looks pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utlak-cT72Q

But alas, early access

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Another thing, and this drives me absolutely insane in other games that do this (Torchlight, TOME, etc) -- please stop piling dozens of stats on pieces of gear and forcing me to carefully parse lists of largely irrelevant and randomized stats to minmax them. Comparing a pair of gloves that have +3% Rending resistance +4% Fire resistance +1% Dodge to another pair of gloves with +2% Rending resistance +1% Cold resistance +3% Fire resistance +1% Bashing resistance is not remotely fun and the list of traits is only that short because I don't want to bother typing more of these. When you combine that with the like 12+ equipment slots my eyes glaze over really fast.
If not for this, and having to do exactly the same with elites’ skill trees to distinguish between “pushover” and “will murder you and everyone you have ever loved”, I suspect ToME would be one of my favourite games ever. As it stands I find it almost unplayable.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

Only saving at inns doesn't seem like a big deal, but I agree I would like a quicksave feature.

Oh man that's why I hate Diablo style loot. Please just give me fewer stats with significant differences when the numbers change. Having to fiddle with a huge pile of gear to figure out the 'best' one and it's mostly minor differences drives me crazy.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/epyoncf/status/1225928603352883202?s=21

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Beginning to think the word "roguelike" should mean something specific :twisted:

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

golden bubble posted:

A savant can beat ADOM in a day. Nethack can be beaten in under 9 hours, though a speedrun can be much faster than that. But even a master of BB can't go through the battles fast enough to beat a BB crisis in a day. And by beat I mean complete at least three crisis missions. Refusing to get involved in a noble war does not count as beating a crisis in BB.

This is the most meaningless criteria, to be honest.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

SKULL.GIF posted:

this part of it is really boring and sucks rear end, i refunded it since i was coming up on 2 hours of playtime and felt like it wasn't going to get much better. if i want a dirt-farmer vibe where my guys are getting pushed into the mud for 2 hours, i think i'll stick to battle brothers.

it's too bad, the prologue was good by comparison to the rest of what i played.

Luceid fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 9, 2020

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Door in the Woods is pretty awesome so far. The ASCII is extremely charming. There's meta progression, but as I learned the hard way, a single fuckup can delete all of your banked progression tokens. On my fourth or so run I managed to survive a few days and bank about 30 experience, but I managed to let myself go insane and lost all of them I'd accrued. I'll just have to be quicker about killing myself from now on. :emo:

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
Avoid Stoneshard for now. The skill system is like 75% not yet implemented signs (on all the interesting and/or complicated stuff) and the enemy diversity is poor. Judging by the previous devlog rates we're in for a long wait too.

I legitimately enjoy the "packing for a camping trip" nature of planning the dungeon runs though. Could maybe use a bit more inv space.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

They're at least responsive -- the Stoneshard devs just added more savepoints in a hotfix last night. They can't implement save-on-exit because of how they designed their procedural world generation.

https://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791458099446/announcements/detail/1698356489974284013

Some of these balance/QoL changes are very welcome, they bugged me a lot during my 2 hours of playing yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zirconmusic
Nov 17, 2014

Unstoppable Trash Panda
So Stoneshard is on track to be the highest selling and highest grossing roguelike, even beyond Dredmor, at the rate it's growing. 3445 reviews already means it's probably well over 100k units sold in less than a week. Absolutely surreal.