Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QCS Floor Manager
Jan 8, 2020

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Aw yeah! Thanks so much dude! It's weird because I definitely set it to loop "forever" in Photoshop and my copies here work fine. Maybe it's a MacOS/PC thing?

Can a mod/admin replace the dud one or do I need to do a new ad buy? Should I email about it? Having the current one stick on "goonpac" isn't the worst possible outcome but it'd be nice if it cycled through the little rhyme.

I will add this to the daily QCS Roundup so the proper person sees the request.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

QCS Floor Manager posted:

Thank you!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

so this probably shouldn’t be here...

It goes to a Patreon page that I’m guessing Lowtax would prefer I not link.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

so this probably shouldn’t be here...

It goes to a Patreon page that I’m guessing Lowtax would prefer I not link.

Seems to link to a page that was taken down, as all I'm getting is the Patreon homepage.

What was it linking to?

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
It goes to your Pledges page if you're logged-in.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

SupSuper posted:

It goes to your Pledges page if you're logged-in.

Yeah, I don’t have a Patreon account so I couldn’t tell exactly where it went, but I figured it linked to something like this.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Doesn't, like, a decent divorce where there isn't a bunch of extra fighting or scary poo poo or time-consuming poo poo or extra legal poo poo cost on the order of $20k? Like, maybe the most "no alarms and no surprises" divorce can be done for $10-15k? Imagine being salty enough that Lowtax has "$50k in savings" to buy an ad about it.

Like hoopty-doo he's in his 40s and maybe he can afford to retire for like two years, assuming that those savings don't go literally anywhere else. Guess he's robbing his patreon subscribers blind I tell ya.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Doesn't, like, a decent divorce where there isn't a bunch of extra fighting or scary poo poo or time-consuming poo poo or extra legal poo poo cost on the order of $20k? Like, maybe the most "no alarms and no surprises" divorce can be done for $10-15k? Imagine being salty enough that Lowtax has "$50k in savings" to buy an ad about it.

Like hoopty-doo he's in his 40s and maybe he can afford to retire for like two years, assuming that those savings don't go literally anywhere else. Guess he's robbing his patreon subscribers blind I tell ya.

Mine cost about $100

I guess it's more if you're rich and have lots of complicated bullshit assets but in that case cry me a river

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Mine cost about $100

I guess it's more if you're rich and have lots of complicated bullshit assets but in that case cry me a river

Lowtax has kids. Isn't custody the most expensive, time consuming thing?

QCS Floor Manager
Jan 8, 2020
Please keep this thread on topic of Ad issues.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

QCS Floor Manager posted:

Not to be a bother, but did anything end up coming of this? I haven't heard from anybody and the ad is unchanged.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Not to be a bother, but did anything end up coming of this? I haven't heard from anybody and the ad is unchanged.

It looks like there's three ads in rotation. Two properly loop, one doesn't.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

It looks like there's three ads in rotation. Two properly loop, one doesn't.

Yep, I just bought two new ones today and used the gif that SupSuper fixed. At this point, I'm happy to just let the oldest, non-looping, one die once its time runs out if that would be less of a headache, but if it's got a week or two left in it I'd appreciate it if it worked like the other two.

Ultimately, it does the job of advertising the thread it's for.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Is there a way to view images of ads from long ago? Like how you can find previous avatars of posters except for ads.

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I'm telling you, it's true. People grow from spores.

Putty posted:

Like how you can find previous avatars of posters except for ads.

Not to add to non ad chat, but is this still possible somewhere? I thought the site that did that died or something. And now that SA is on lock down, I doubt AVs can be archived somewhere (outside of SA itself). It'd be a cool site feature though, pretty sure it's been requested in QCS.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

I don't know about avs being archived anywhere else, but there's this trick where you just subtract the number at the end of someone's current av's URL by 1 to view what they had before. As far as I know this works indefinitely and is only separated by format, like, you need a gif link to access old gifs and jpg for jpgs.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Goons Are Great posted:

I don't know about avs being archived anywhere else, but there's this trick where you just subtract the number at the end of someone's current av's URL by 1 to view what they had before. As far as I know this works indefinitely and is only separated by format, like, you need a gif link to access old gifs and jpg for jpgs.

Ah-ha - I've been meaning to ask this in the tech thread for a while now, I knew about the idea but could never get it to work right. I hadn't realized there were effectively three different archives for my old avs, so this one is counted as number 0003 despite it being my fifth, because it's the third png one. My fourth was a jpg file though so its counter starts at 0001, and so on. Hopefully that helps if anyone else was similarly confused.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
Also if an admin uploaded an av for you it can have a totally different thing, like one of my old ones is sluggoreads.png or something like that

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Someone please get rid of this ad:

https://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/goonbas/9/8/7805.0002.gif

I rather not be constantly reminded of forum drama when browsing.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

sincx posted:

drat I guess that rando wasn't lying about filing a FOIA request

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

sincx posted:

Came here to post this after posting a thread in QCS like a dumb dumb.

It's kind of nuts that we don't have any sort of front-end vetting for ads.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Got it.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
came here to post about the lowtax ad, daaaaamn

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
They bought another one.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

As long they can freely chargeback the ad costs, they will keep doing it.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

sincx posted:

you wouldnt want to know if the head of the forums was potentially a domestic abuser?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Out of morbid curiosity, since the second ad linked to a less sketchy-looking URL, I went ahead and read through what it contains. And I honestly don't see how it is damning evidence of anything other than the local investigator who wrote most of the entries being an abject embarrassment. Whoever is buying these things seems to be taking a really dumb "CHECKMATE ATHESITS!" approach to it, and it simply doesn't contain anything like what they seem to think it does.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Yeah, it really much isn't anything worse than what Lowtax already said, it's just a regular two sides tell different stories thing collected by the police and not really any evidence or whatever.

Either way, an ad to embarrass the site owner seems dumb, trying to make more people get into this stuff is even worse and it certainly has no value.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

I can't believe lowtax doesn't want goons to discuss in depth his failed marriage

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

qnqnx posted:

As long they can freely chargeback the ad costs, they will keep doing it.

lets be real, $30 isn't really anything these days. doesn't even matter if you can charge it back.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Goons Are Great posted:

Yeah, it really much isn't anything worse than what Lowtax already said, it's just a regular two sides tell different stories thing collected by the police and not really any evidence or whatever.

Either way, an ad to embarrass the site owner seems dumb, trying to make more people get into this stuff is even worse and it certainly has no value.

From what I can tell, it's the full doc of the incident report lowtax posted the header for in his gbs thread as a triumphant "if I was the bad guy why does this exist" post. Given the contents of the pdf in the ad, if it's genuine, it's not quite the ah ha exoneration it was claimed to be originally. Nevertheless, as pointed out it's just confirmation of he said/she said, with language heavily slanted against lowtax (thus no doubt why the ad was bought).

Fayez Butts posted:

I can't believe lowtax doesn't want goons to discuss in depth his failed marriage

Yet he opened a whole thread on the subject in GBS. I am shocked it has become a hot topic. :thunk:

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
If you don't like Lowtax giving him more ad money seems counter-productive.

Spagghentleman
Jan 1, 2013

SupSuper posted:

If you don't like Lowtax giving him more ad money seems counter-productive.

Two counterpoints:
- They know the ad is going to get cancelled and they can just issue a chargeback at that point.
- The point of the ad is to hopefully cause goons to stop their Patreon subscription to Gaming Garbage (which has already dropped substantially).

TheBandOffice
Nov 4, 2009
<Removing, staying out of the drama>

TheBandOffice fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 9, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SupSuper posted:

Doesn't seem to be set to loop correctly:

Here's a fixed version:

Hey- I have another ad gif I need help fixing. Again, it cycles forever on my desktop, etc- but once I send it to imgur it comes out unable to loop properly.

I would've sent you a PM about it, but you can't receive those. I'll buy you an upgrade if you help me out!

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Hey- I have another ad gif I need help fixing. Again, it cycles forever on my desktop, etc- but once I send it to imgur it comes out unable to loop properly.

I would've sent you a PM about it, but you can't receive those. I'll buy you an upgrade if you help me out!
Sure, :justpost: or you can contact me at <username>@gmail.com if you don't wanna derail the thread.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SupSuper posted:

Sure, :justpost: or you can contact me at <username>@gmail.com if you don't wanna derail the thread.

I have zero qualms about thread derailing but a great many qualms about basic interpersonal interaction over email, so here's an imgur link:

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I have zero qualms about thread derailing but a great many qualms about basic interpersonal interaction over email, so here's an imgur link:

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it.
Looped:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

This rules. You rule. Is there an upgrade I can buy you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

This rules. You rule. Is there an upgrade I can buy you?
Plat is fine, thanks!