Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Hopefully the upcoming Lego Star Wars trilogy game is good and fixes some longstanding issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is W101 a primary-parry or primary-dodge game

there's a lot of enemies you have to parry with a giant jello morph to reflect things or stagger them. i think there's a witch time dodge spring morph too but i don't remember it being essential

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

oh actually i think sharp attacks would pierce or slice the jello morph so you have to dodge those

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is W101 a primary-parry or primary-dodge game

Yes

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Was that FF12 sequel any good

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

FirstAidKite posted:

Yes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV_QN7c0cWs

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Looper posted:

honestly the main appeal of lego games for me is breaking everything

They're also just really well designed third person adventure games. They're easy, of course, but solving all the little puzzles and finding secrets is great.

I'd say the best are the OG Star Wars trilogy, The Force Awakens, the Harry Potter duology, and the Marvel/DC ones

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FirstAidKite posted:

the costume design was good, but iirc it was one of those games that used SE's experimental "can we stuff an RTS into the DS's processor?" system

the problem being, the answer to that question is a resounding No

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Hopefully the upcoming Lego Star Wars trilogy game is good and fixes some longstanding issues.

Wait what, they're doing another trilogy one? :supaburn:

Oh yeah and Dimensions was great because you got toys AND levels. The Ghostbusters level was great

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

precision posted:

Wait what, they're doing another trilogy one? :supaburn:

Oh yeah and Dimensions was great because you got toys AND levels. The Ghostbusters level was great

It's supposed to be all nine movies. So technically a trilogy of trilogies.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

my first experience with star wars was through the lego games

came as a shock when I watched the original movies and no one disintegrated into a pile of bricks

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

Saw this at walmart today

Australiens is actually a really dope word, pity the intention was to spell it correctly :v:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Is there a trademark on the word Australia? Or does Australian road trains already exist?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

It's supposed to be all nine movies. So technically a trilogy of trilogies.

Oh my god lol

I just looked it up and wow it sounds great. They're actually changing the combat!

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

gently caress that game and that company. got a c&d over my australian themed OutKast cover band because of them.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Stux posted:

speaking of games with fun combat i beat blasphemous

The weird part of that game was that combat was nice and satisfying but having to move around the map felt like you were on punishment.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

MechaSeinfeld posted:

gently caress that game and that company. got a c&d over my australian themed OutKast cover band because of them.
the australien road trains below

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Khanstant posted:

The weird part of that game was that combat was nice and satisfying but having to move around the map felt like you were on punishment.

they made the same mistake i did in dragon game where you just walk ploddingly (except this armored fellow runs majestically)

well this time i learned my lesson, cranked up the base move speed, and also added a small bonus based on your speed stat. as it should be

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

fast movement is a must for any game imo

i'm playing MMX Command Mission and it has a dash button because, well, mega man x, and it's nice to just be able to jet through a room that has nothing in it

I like to explore RPG environments and find hidden treasure chests as much as anyone but I want to go fast while doing it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is it just editing an ini file or something? I was actually enjoying the art and atmosphere a ton, but as an obsessive completionist in these kinds of games, I quit playing it because all of the back-back-back-tracking I did since actually moving was painfully unpleasant.

When I'm president of videogame, my first executive overreach will be to insert dash and double jump into all games. Even Tetris.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Is it just editing an ini file or something? I was actually enjoying the art and atmosphere a ton, but as an obsessive completionist in these kinds of games, I quit playing it because all of the back-back-back-tracking I did since actually moving was painfully unpleasant.
you could probably use cheat engine to gently caress with move speed

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Isn't hard drop a dash

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Just had a quick question, I am using a friend's Switch account with my Switch set to primary in order to play the BoTW DLC on my account. I have a bunch of it done, but not all. He is going on vacation and needs the primary set back to his console so he can still access his downloaded stuff.

My question is: if I lose access to the DLC on my account and play without it, will I still have everything I did DLC-wise complete when I regain access? Or will I have to collect everything again? I still have one Divine Beast to go and don't want to stop my game for a week.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The 7th Guest posted:

fast movement is a must for any game imo

you know what it is sometimes though is it's you don't want the player to run through your walls because they're moving more px/fr than the width of your wall hitboxes like this is sonic 3 lol

<your smallest hitbox unit - 1px>/2 is a good point of reference for max player speed imo

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

especially for an open world game, if I can't move really fast then it'd better have fast travel or i'm probably going to hate it

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i didnt find the move speed that bad in blasphemous. theres a lot of interconnectivity and some warping. also i dont know if it is faster but bcos im broken from early fps games i spent the whole game with the rosary beads for longer dodge and lowered cooldown spamming dodge into jump to cancel the end of the animation and it felt faster at least lol

its a very solid souls/metroidvania game, with really amazing art and a really cool setting but with 2 or 3 stand out "this is just unfair" things the library enemies that throw books have insane range, the attack has knockback and theyre always at platforms, and it has such strong tracking that dodging behind them will make them throw it out backwards and still hit you. the sleeping canvas axes over spike pits, again just ridiculous knockback but this time into instakill pits. and quirce the boss in the prison, his fire pillar slam when hes at 50% hp and it starts throwing out five of them will hard combo you with no time between stun animations. i beat him second try but that mechanic just isnt fun the rest outweighs those tho, the second to last boss was really intense and fun and it seriously has some of the most painstakingly detailed pixel art with fantastic animations in a really cool and well thought out theme

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Has anyone been playing Split or Steal? It's a free prisoners dilemma simulator on steam, it'd be cool to get a goon org together and rob some folk.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Completed: kentucky route zero acts 1-5

I didnt like this game. Maybe i had to be there through the long waits or something but idk all im taking away from it is intense boredom

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I cant believe Im saying this but Yu-gi-oh Duel Links for the DS is probably the best single player card game ever made. It has basically one thing Id tweak about it but otherwise is the model for how to design your long running card game into a single player experience.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

pssh someone hasn't played freecell

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Those of you on the Humble Monthly, the solitaire in Eliza is pretty good

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Nier:A is okay so far. I'm sure it is going to improve as the plot deepends. I just saw some naked dickless dude go up in level repeatedly as I beat him up. The game isn't very good about explaining how upgrades work. I'm still not really sure what I am doing so have pretty much ignored it. I'm guessing at some point I will need to do upgrades.

I've also been playing DQ3 on my phone. I'm amazed this was a NES title. The first two games were very NES. But this one is pretty good. Also, the pinsaro switcheroo was one of the better twists I've seen in a game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Anyone who says Batman’s combat is boring I can only imagine them spamming attack over and over.

The Arkham games and Kamiya’s games actually share a lot in that it’s all about looking as cool as loving possible, if you’re playing safe you’re playing wrong. But where the Kamiya and Itagaki brand were all about navigating scenarios of complex monsters, Arkham made each individual enemy a puzzle piece and could create interesting scenarios based on different combinations of those pieces.

Asylum was simplistic but laser focused on basically being a Zelda dungeon crawler. But with City you had the knife wielding guys who we’re more complex to counters, guys who couldn’t be countered at all, guys you had to stun before attacking, and the gadgets were deeply integrated in the combat to make up for the extra control needed. And with no conventional blocking or complex maneuvering that’s a hallmark of DMC or Ninja Gaiden the best defense is a flawless offense is the best defense. No getting mired in navigating the environment mid-combat, the better you do the finer control you have over Batman until he’s jumping like Sonic the Hedgehog.

Most of the copy-cats took the wrong lesson. Like Mordor whatever was a fine series and I like the different modifications on the boss orcs but aside from them an orc is an orc is an orc. Even Spider-Man had enemies pulling triple duty, you need one guy who is deadly up close he can’t also have a ranged attack and an AoE.

Buuuut anybody who has played The Bouncer or any of those weird action games (remember that loving Tekken spinoff?) the world is better for ditching z-targeting and three hit punch punch kick combos.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

the only problem i have with astral chain is that the switch pro controller has a trash dpad that fucks up my inputs all the time

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Aw man I missed that thread, I didn't even hear about Obra Dinn until last year

One thing that's interesting to me about it is that it kind of has replay value, in a sense.

My first try, I pretty much only figured out the easy stuff as I went, so by the time I had all the memories unlocked I still had like 45 people to identify and it was daunting and slightly annoying to have to walk to the memory locations and look through them

So I started over with this great piece of advice: do not unlock ANY memories until you've ID'd everybody that the game says you can ID (their picture is unblurry). Or at least try not to leave anyone unblurry and un-ID'd before moving on. This also made the game a lot better because it really got me to engage with some of the harder to figure out things instead of brute forcing it

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

Nier:A is okay so far. I'm sure it is going to improve as the plot deepends. I just saw some naked dickless dude go up in level repeatedly as I beat him up. The game isn't very good about explaining how upgrades work. I'm still not really sure what I am doing so have pretty much ignored it. I'm guessing at some point I will need to do upgrades.

I've also been playing DQ3 on my phone. I'm amazed this was a NES title. The first two games were very NES. But this one is pretty good. Also, the pinsaro switcheroo was one of the better twists I've seen in a game.

Are you talking about weapon/pod upgrades or installing chips? Weapon upgrades just do whatever weapons you like, most of the items needed are easy to come by and there’s no need grinding for anything. Pod upgrades I didn’t get to until the third play because the items are super rare and again don’t waste your time grinding for poo poo. Chips I always let the game set them for me and then I’d tweak them as needed. I think the auto-item is most necessary and I like the chips that slow things down when you dodge or create a shockwave when you attack.

Nier A is frustrating. A lot of fun ideas but so many decisions waste your time. It’s for thematic reasons but I’ve probably lost 3 hours to random crashes or discovering a random ending and Nier A does. To auto-save so gently caress off player.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
my final opinion on Nier A was good music, good character designs, mediocre story, bad combat, so there's a chance your current impression will just stay there

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

al-azad posted:

Anyone who says Batman’s combat is boring I can only imagine them spamming attack over and over.

The Arkham games and Kamiya’s games actually share a lot in that it’s all about looking as cool as loving possible, if you’re playing safe you’re playing wrong. But where the Kamiya and Itagaki brand were all about navigating scenarios of complex monsters, Arkham made each individual enemy a puzzle piece and could create interesting scenarios based on different combinations of those pieces.

Asylum was simplistic but laser focused on basically being a Zelda dungeon crawler. But with City you had the knife wielding guys who we’re more complex to counters, guys who couldn’t be countered at all, guys you had to stun before attacking, and the gadgets were deeply integrated in the combat to make up for the extra control needed. And with no conventional blocking or complex maneuvering that’s a hallmark of DMC or Ninja Gaiden the best defense is a flawless offense is the best defense. No getting mired in navigating the environment mid-combat, the better you do the finer control you have over Batman until he’s jumping like Sonic the Hedgehog.

Most of the copy-cats took the wrong lesson. Like Mordor whatever was a fine series and I like the different modifications on the boss orcs but aside from them an orc is an orc is an orc. Even Spider-Man had enemies pulling triple duty, you need one guy who is deadly up close he can’t also have a ranged attack and an AoE.

Buuuut anybody who has played The Bouncer or any of those weird action games (remember that loving Tekken spinoff?) the world is better for ditching z-targeting and three hit punch punch kick combos.

the difference, the very big difference, is that the batman combat is autopiloting and has no expression. the enemy archetypes are a surprise once and then sit into your normal routine. it rewards doing combat in a single way and anything else isnt just ineffective, it doesnt work. the complex maneuvering in those games is to facillitate offense, and you have actual options and approaches, in fact the entire point of them is to mess around to find pointlessly stylish ways to kill things for the sake of it. batman doesnt have that, its painting by numbers and insanely dull. theres no flair or expression and no avenues for it, and the "flawless offense" is mindnumbingly simple to achieve. it aims to create visually exciting fights through canned animations rather than letting you have an exciting fight.

ill take a game trying something else for combat over a batman copy every day of the week.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Nier: A is definitely a horny game. I won't lie, the first time I climbed a ladder I was impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

my final opinion on Nier A was good music, good character designs, mediocre story, bad combat, so there's a chance your current impression will just stay there

amazing music, character designs, story and combat, a perfect game nearly wow. S+! would play again!