Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Volmarias posted:

Actually this sounds like the best place to be accused of murder. Have you seen your jails?

I have, and they suck. They look like what you're used to in the US, basically concrete squares with the metal toilet thing and usually a matress on the floor. The prisons are much nicer. But they aren't nearly as nice as the internet would have you believe though. They only televise the propaganda pieces.

It's not a great place to be accused of murder, especially if you're guilty. The conviction rate for murder is extremely high, as they are extremely prioritized cases. You will be held until trial, which can take a long time, and if it turns out you're innocent you get cut a check of an (to my mind) insignificant amount. If you're convicted, expect to serve out your sentence in a pretty lovely dorm room in a concrete box building, you won't get sent to any of the nice places probably. You do get a quality process so you're unlikely to be wrongfully convicted, but at the same time it does turn out that our system fucks up more than we used to think so ymmv and it really shouldn't.

You might think the sentence is fairly short, and it is compared to other countries. But the thing is, whether it's 21 or 30 or 40 years that's a huge chunk of your life gone, and you can't ever get it back. You get rehabilitated and released, but even though the system tries to not treat you as a second class citizen once you're released, you won't ever hold a job doing anything important with government, security, children, health care etc. You'll be under scrutiny from security authorities, the police will be acutely aware of where you live, as will CPS. Don't have kids, or they might take them. In a society where social networks are small, everyone will know who you are unless you live in the center of a major city. You can usually forget about reconnecting with family. Life as a convicted murderer sucks, and while any long stretch prison sentence sucks (seriously, I hate the "oh I get to play xbox for 10 years lol guess I'll murder some folks" joke, that's not how the story goes, prison is not fun) your life will still be majorly hosed once you're out.

Sorry, but I've spoken to a lot of convicts and they don't share the assessment that long prison sentences are no sweat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Nice piece of fish posted:

Sorry, but I've spoken to a lot of convicts and they don't share the assessment that long prison sentences are no sweat.

The joke I was making was that this sounds significantly better in every respect than being accused of murder over here, especially if you're not wealthy and or not white.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Volmarias posted:

The joke I was making was that this sounds significantly better in every respect than being accused of murder over here, especially if you're not wealthy and or not white.

Nah, I meant sorry for the long rant. Totally get the joke.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

wait in norway you get money if you beat a murder rap?

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Not exactly a legal question per say:

Yesterday I received a letter from Budget for a car I rented back in the first week of January stating that during the course of my one-day rental, glass damage occurred and they want to charge me $248, the parking attendant who received the car at return stated no damages, signed off on the rental, and sent me on my way. I sent an email back to them declining that I had caused any damage, requesting photo proof of the damage, a repair bill, the signed pre and post car rental inspection sheets, a log detailing how many times the car was rented after me, and asked why didn't they notice this either at drop-off or sooner than an entire month later. Is there anything else I should do to make sure I wont be charged? I declined the LDW but used my Chase card so I wont be out of pocket anything, I just don't want to accept this horse poo poo.

Thank you goons.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Leperflesh posted:

I don't remember where but I once saw a thing that showed that a person who is very nervous about the answers they're giving is indistinguishable from a person who is lying with the answers they're giving; and being on the stand, especially with their freedom on the line, makes most people very nervous.

From the book "Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets" (later turned into the tv series "Homicide: Life on the Street"):

quote:

And how does a detective know he has the right man? Nervousness, fear, confusion, hostility, a story that changes or contradicts itself—all are signs that the man in an interrogation room is lying, particularly in the eyes of someone as naturally suspicious as a detective. Unfortunately, these are also signs of a human being in a state of high stress, which is pretty much where people find themselves after being accused of a capital crime. Terry McLarney once mused that the best way to unsettle a suspect would be to post in all three interrogation rooms a written list of those behavior patterns that indicate deception:

Uncooperative.
Too cooperative.
Talks too much.
Talks too little.
Gets his story perfectly straight.
Fucks his story up.
Blinks too much, avoids eye contact.
Doesn’t blink. Stares.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/per_se
https://kris-spisak.com/writing-tip-per-se-vs-per-say/

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Right?

POF I get what you're laying down and several issues including length that defendants are held before/during trial are definitely Not Good

But man we loving execute mentally disabled and innocent people with :catdrugs: someone smuggled into the state, administered by people not qualified to be phlebotomists who also ought to be in prison. Then there's that whole rape/murder by guards/other prisoners thing, or the extended solitary confinement and housing outdoors in 120° heat thing. If some maladjusted loser making $8.50 an hour + bribes, who peaked at 15 and just barely got a GED, decides someone's been bad (read: black), guess who's on punishment rations? And at least half the country clamors for this and thinks it isn't harsh enough!

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

edit: If you have examples of common claims against an estate in probate in Wisconsin, please let me know!

Crusty Nutsack fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 9, 2020

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Hi legal types, I think this is appropriate to ask here. I'm in Wisconsin.

I'm wondering what kinds of claims you see against estates in informal probate. The situation in a nutshell: My partner of 12 years died unexpectedly. We were not married, he had no will, WI is not a community property state. His parents (who he hated, naturally) are his only heirs. They will be getting a lot of money they didn't even know he had. No, his accounts were not joint with me, and I doubt he named me as a beneficiary either because his main account was opened before he met me.

So my attorney friend told me I can claim 2 months of his portion of the rent after he died, and I might claim half the value of his vehicle, which was only titled to him but was our vehicle and we paid for with shared money. My attorney filed to start probate, so cannot now represent me in my claim. What are some other typical claims against an estate in cases like these? He was the breadwinner by far, so I'm kind of screwed financially here since his parents are terrible people and already will not speak to me for some reason. I just don't want to miss anything I could possibly claim.

And if it's any help, our finances were regulated loosely. I paid the rent, renter's insurance, utilities, cable/internet (in my name not his), and he wrote me a big check like once a year for his half of it all (he's caught up up until he died thanks to a blank check he wrote to me just for this purpose). I used his credit and debit cards all the time, and had access to all of his accounts.
Condolences.

Also it sounds like you’re hosed, and not in the fun way :( are you on good terms with the parents?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Hi legal types, I think this is appropriate to ask here. I'm in Wisconsin.

I'm wondering what kinds of claims you see against estates in informal probate. The situation in a nutshell: My partner of 12 years died unexpectedly. We were not married, he had no will, WI is not a community property state. His parents (who he hated, naturally) are his only heirs. They will be getting a lot of money they didn't even know he had. No, his accounts were not joint with me, and I doubt he named me as a beneficiary either because his main account was opened before he met me.

So my attorney friend told me I can claim 2 months of his portion of the rent after he died, and I might claim half the value of his vehicle, which was only titled to him but was our vehicle and we paid for with shared money. My attorney filed to start probate, so cannot now represent me in my claim. What are some other typical claims against an estate in cases like these? He was the breadwinner by far, so I'm kind of screwed financially here since his parents are terrible people and already will not speak to me for some reason. I just don't want to miss anything I could possibly claim.

And if it's any help, our finances were regulated loosely. I paid the rent, renter's insurance, utilities, cable/internet (in my name not his), and he wrote me a big check like once a year for his half of it all (he's caught up up until he died thanks to a blank check he wrote to me just for this purpose). I used his credit and debit cards all the time, and had access to all of his accounts.
No one here is in Wisconsin, to my knowledge, and if they were, they'd also tell you that you should hire your own attorney.

I understand you're trying to weigh the financial benefit of doing so, depending on the outcome of what claims you might be able to get out of the estate you don't want to spend the money on an attorney only to find out that it wasn't worth the money to spend.

However, that's exactly the reason none of us can get involved. If we're responsible for you making the wrong decision, that's bad.

On the flip side, you should be able to find a probate attorney near you that will give you a free consultation, or one of minimal expense.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Condolences.

Also it sounds like you’re hosed, and not in the fun way :( are you on good terms with the parents?

Not really. I know I'm screwed. I just wondered what other common things get claimed that I could be missing.

blarzgh posted:

No one here is in Wisconsin, to my knowledge, and if they were, they'd also tell you that you should hire your own attorney.

I understand you're trying to weigh the financial benefit of doing so, depending on the outcome of what claims you might be able to get out of the estate you don't want to spend the money on an attorney only to find out that it wasn't worth the money to spend.

However, that's exactly the reason none of us can get involved. If we're responsible for you making the wrong decision, that's bad.

On the flip side, you should be able to find a probate attorney near you that will give you a free consultation, or one of minimal expense.

I did hire one, who didn't have the foresight to know that he could not represent me as a creditor. And yes, my claim will be small, hence why it doesn't make sense to hire someone else. I'm not asking someone here for legal advice, I'm just asking trusts and estates attorneys what kinds of things are claimed in similar situations. Perhaps I should have left the details out of my post.

PS, my partner was an attorney, I forgot that punchline lol

Crusty Nutsack fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 9, 2020

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That is legal advice lol.

Next time ask hypotheticals if you want answers to specific questionS.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

euphronius posted:

That is legal advice lol.

Next time ask hypotheticals if you want answers to specific questionS.

alrighty then. I'm just going to edit my post.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Did your partner work with other attorneys, in a firm or otherwise? Do they know you/have a good relationship with you?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Discendo Vox posted:

Did your partner work with other attorneys, in a firm or otherwise? Do they know you/have a good relationship with you?

His firm would be no help for a number of reasons. We have many friends who are attorneys of course, but not in estates.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

I have, and they suck. They look like what you're used to in the US, basically concrete squares with the metal toilet thing and usually a matress on the floor. The prisons are much nicer. But they aren't nearly as nice as the internet would have you believe though. They only televise the propaganda pieces.

It's not a great place to be accused of murder, especially if you're guilty. The conviction rate for murder is extremely high, as they are extremely prioritized cases. You will be held until trial, which can take a long time, and if it turns out you're innocent you get cut a check of an (to my mind) insignificant amount. If you're convicted, expect to serve out your sentence in a pretty lovely dorm room in a concrete box building, you won't get sent to any of the nice places probably. You do get a quality process so you're unlikely to be wrongfully convicted, but at the same time it does turn out that our system fucks up more than we used to think so ymmv and it really shouldn't.

You might think the sentence is fairly short, and it is compared to other countries. But the thing is, whether it's 21 or 30 or 40 years that's a huge chunk of your life gone, and you can't ever get it back. You get rehabilitated and released, but even though the system tries to not treat you as a second class citizen once you're released, you won't ever hold a job doing anything important with government, security, children, health care etc. You'll be under scrutiny from security authorities, the police will be acutely aware of where you live, as will CPS. Don't have kids, or they might take them. In a society where social networks are small, everyone will know who you are unless you live in the center of a major city. You can usually forget about reconnecting with family. Life as a convicted murderer sucks, and while any long stretch prison sentence sucks (seriously, I hate the "oh I get to play xbox for 10 years lol guess I'll murder some folks" joke, that's not how the story goes, prison is not fun) your life will still be majorly hosed once you're out.

I seriously want to visit a norweigian prison. I've been to maybe 30 US prisons, so I'd be able to accurately compare.

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

Not exactly a legal question per say:

Yesterday I received a letter from Budget for a car I rented back in the first week of January stating that during the course of my one-day rental, glass damage occurred and they want to charge me $248, the parking attendant who received the car at return stated no damages, signed off on the rental, and sent me on my way. I sent an email back to them declining that I had caused any damage, requesting photo proof of the damage, a repair bill, the signed pre and post car rental inspection sheets, a log detailing how many times the car was rented after me, and asked why didn't they notice this either at drop-off or sooner than an entire month later. Is there anything else I should do to make sure I wont be charged? I declined the LDW but used my Chase card so I wont be out of pocket anything, I just don't want to accept this horse poo poo.

Thank you goons.
Yeah, call chase and/or your insurance so they can tell them to gently caress off.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

His firm would be no help for a number of reasons. We have many friends who are attorneys of course, but not in estates.

Ask them who they would go to for estate issues

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Devor posted:

Ask them who they would go to for estate issues

This. They may not be estate attorneys, but they are attorneys, and they are your friends. Ask them for advice on where to go.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

quote:

Oh god talk to your lawyers about this, particularly if you are not on very good terms with the parents.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Alchenar posted:

Oh god talk to your lawyers about this, particularly if you are not on very good terms with the parents.

He is aware.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Leperflesh posted:

If I keep getting questions I will keep answering, this will be your only warning.

Yes, if you are "charged" with a crime and the police use means of enforcement against you (temporary detention, jail, forfeiture) you are entitled to compensation for the trouble, if you are aquitted or police drop the charges. It's no my mind not nearly enough and the mechanism for applying for and receiving compensation for unjustified charges /investigation is unnecessarily difficult and arcane. The basic deal is you get compensated for costs (loss of job, income, etc) and for having to endure the investigation and detention etc. Starts out at maybe like 5000 $ for a day or two in detention, then it's convoluted how you calculate that as time goes on, loss of income etc.

Do you... not have that in the US?

BonerGhost posted:

Right?

POF I get what you're laying down and several issues including length that defendants are held before/during trial are definitely Not Good

But man we loving execute mentally disabled and innocent people with :catdrugs: someone smuggled into the state, administered by people not qualified to be phlebotomists who also ought to be in prison. Then there's that whole rape/murder by guards/other prisoners thing, or the extended solitary confinement and housing outdoors in 120° heat thing. If some maladjusted loser making $8.50 an hour + bribes, who peaked at 15 and just barely got a GED, decides someone's been bad (read: black), guess who's on punishment rations? And at least half the country clamors for this and thinks it isn't harsh enough!

No, I totally get it. We're starting from completely different points and I understand that my idea of abusive practices would be a significant impovement in parts of the US. And to be fair, parts of the US are like loving Somalia to me, in how they treat people. It's weird as hell, when some of american jurisprudence and legal theory is actually quite advanced and we've worked to learn from it and implement some ideas, to our benefit. I guess it's because the US is basically a continent on par with Europe, if you take Europe as a whole we're about as bad if not even worse than the US is, and our lowest lows and highest highs are more extreme than yours. It's fascinating, really.

nm posted:

I seriously want to visit a norweigian prison. I've been to maybe 30 US prisons, so I'd be able to accurately compare.

Let me know if you plan on visiting, I can see if getting a tour is at all possible. If I worked in criminal care I could guarantee you one, but I don't. I could absolutely ask for you though. Or even better, I can get you convicted for something so you can get the real experience, let me know.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

In some places, if you're falsely convicted, and later found to be innocent, you can apply for compensation. You don't get anything for time spent in jail awaiting/on trial as I understand, and you're always out the money you spent on a lawyer if you could afford that. In some places, if you are released on probation or parole, you must pay the costs for ankle monitoring. poo poo's regressive.

State by state breakdown (dramatically more than I expected tbqh!):
https://www.innocenceproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Key-Provisions-in-Wrongful-Conviction-Compensation-Laws.docx

As a reminder, there are 50 states in the US.

If you're nationally scandalized by a murder, don't search "Mississippi prison murders"

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Not really. I know I'm screwed. I just wondered what other common things get claimed that I could be missing.

I did hire one, who didn't have the foresight to know that he could not represent me as a creditor. And yes, my claim will be small, hence why it doesn't make sense to hire someone else. I'm not asking someone here for legal advice, I'm just asking trusts and estates attorneys what kinds of things are claimed in similar situations. Perhaps I should have left the details out of my post.

PS, my partner was an attorney, I forgot that punchline lol

Your post is quoted several times so editing didn’t do anything at this point, tho maybe people would remove if you asked. They’re attorneys tho, so you should not trust them. loving attorneys man

You said your claim is small but you also said you couldn’t afford to pass it up financially. This is probably a situation where you are going to have to weigh the costs of hiring a second attorney to handle a credit claim - and it’s going to be more complicated and more expensive due to you being involved in the probable as well - against what you expect to gain from it. Also consider the non-monetary expenses. It is time you are not going to get back

Good luck, sorry for your loss, thanks for all the fish

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

If a prosecutor slips up and says, “We gave him a polygraph test, and he failed miserably”, in front of the jury, is that a big enough mistake for the judge to declare a mistrial? Or would the judge just reprimand the prosector and tell the jury to pretend they didnt hear that and that its not evidence to be considered? Or does it depend on the severity of the charge, tolerated in a wire fraud case but not a homicide.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

ChocNitty posted:

If a prosecutor slips up and says, “We gave him a polygraph test, and he failed miserably”, in front of the jury, is that a big enough mistake for the judge to declare a mistrial? Or would the judge just reprimand the prosector and tell the jury to pretend they didnt hear that and that its not evidence to be considered? Or does it depend on the severity of the charge, tolerated in a wire fraud case but not a homicide.

Absent some truly bizarre fact pattern, that will always be a mistrial. Absent the prosecutor being able to convincingly explain why it wasn't intentional, the mistrial will also be with prejudice, meaning the case cannot be retried.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ChocNitty posted:

It'll depend. But no lawyer in a courtroom should be saying anything they didn't decide to say when they were preparing in advance. That's part of the profession (and why courtroom dramas are all wrong - anyone who goes off the road in an examination is really risking it).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Volmarias posted:

In some places, if you're falsely convicted, and later found to be innocent, you can apply for compensation.

Just to be absolutely clear, what Volmarias is posting about is for "wrongful conviction" which means you have to be convicted, and then later exonerated, and exonerations in the US are incredibly rare. Like, maybe you win the lottery and the Innocence Project decides to take up your case, because there's untested DNA evidence proving you didn't do a murder. Or maybe after spending 20 years in prison, the real murderer is caught and they find evidence they did the murder you were convicted for.

There's no loving money just for being tried and acquitted. The presumption of innocence does not extend to a presumption that people shouldn't be financially and reputationally destroyed just for being suspected of a crime. This is America, if we got rid of that, why then, it'd be marginally more difficult to use our law enforcement mechanisms and legal system to oppress minorities and the poor!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
European countries protect the accused’s identities whereas here in the land of the free and home of the brave, the public frog march is an honored tradition.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

European countries protect the accused’s identities whereas here in the land of the free and home of the brave, the public frog march is an honored tradition.

Well, in fairness, when they made the rule it was because secret trials were a bigger concern than a 24 hour, if it bleeds it leads, news cycle.

And if you asked me to pick which government ID trust more with secret trials, I'd pick a Scandinavian one over the US.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I've got a question mostly out of curiosity here.

I'm in Florida and I work for a contractor, and the person who holds our GC license was fired on Thursday. It's his license number on most (if not all) of our trucks and contracts.

How long do we have to change these to a new contractor number before getting in trouble? The contracts are a little simpler because we can cross out the CGC and write in another, but the trucks have no such luxury.

We have a parent corporation and for a time, we operated under the CGC license of another branch's contractor, and I'm assuming that's how it's going to go now, but that leaves the issue of the CGC number clearly on our trucks.

Also, how will this affect us with regards to open building permits, etc.?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

blarzgh posted:

Well, in fairness, when they made the rule it was because secret trials were a bigger concern than a 24 hour, if it bleeds it leads, news cycle.

And if you asked me to pick which government ID trust more with secret trials, I'd pick a Scandinavian one over the US.

Yes and like the constitution we should probably rip it up and start over with something more modern.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

D34THROW posted:

I've got a question mostly out of curiosity here.

I'm in Florida and I work for a contractor, and the person who holds our GC license was fired on Thursday. It's his license number on most (if not all) of our trucks and contracts.

How long do we have to change these to a new contractor number before getting in trouble? The contracts are a little simpler because we can cross out the CGC and write in another, but the trucks have no such luxury.

We have a parent corporation and for a time, we operated under the CGC license of another branch's contractor, and I'm assuming that's how it's going to go now, but that leaves the issue of the CGC number clearly on our trucks.

Also, how will this affect us with regards to open building permits, etc.?

Way too specific, and no one here would even know.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Just write the new number over the old one with a paint marker.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

blarzgh posted:

Way too specific, and no one here would even know.

Eh, no worries, was just a curiosity anyways. Another curious one from here.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Boss is requiring employees to delete LinkedIn account

Boss is forcing all employees to permanently delete their LinkedIn accounts. He’s threatening to terminate anyone who does not comply with this new policy. He’s adding it to the company handbook and to new hire offer letters. He’s offering a monetary bonus to anyone that voluntarily shows proof of account deletion.
He says he feels that employees that have these accounts are cheating on him. He recently lost an employee and blames LinkedIn.

What legal protections do employees that do not comply have? If terminated based on refusal, is there any legal recourse the employee can take?

This is in the US in a Right to Work state.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vote for left wing candidates Is about your only hope in that theoretical.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Seems like it would depends on the state in which this was taking place, as it could be protected legitimate conduct outside the workplace.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Seems like it would depends on the state in which this was taking place, as it could be protected legitimate conduct outside the workplace.

What state in the USA would protect this behavior.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Lol what kind of a shithouse employer doesn't want you fostering professional network.

Religiously update linkedIn and put the boss as a reference on job applications.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

euphronius posted:

What state in the USA would protect this behavior.

Montana? Potentially many states based on the language of the employee handbook and explicit contractual provisions that were part of the employment contract. I'm not an expert on the legal landscape of every state with respect to unilateral amendment of employment contracts without any additional consideration other than continued employment, but I know that it's not a uniform process across every state.

If Linked in was being used to coordinate any type of concerted workplace discussion or calls for change then they could be protected under the NLRB. A lot more detail would be needed to make a worthwhile assessment of this question, all of which would be fact specific.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah maybe Montana and New Jersey off the top of my head