Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

My favourite part of blind LPs and streams: when people try to make them not blind by micromanaging the player.

There's definitely a contingent of people out there who like blind LPs because then they get to feel smart by telling them the things everyone knows.
Which, yeah, kind of ruins it for everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I like the concept of figuring out ways to make simple rpgs enter a softlock state. Those are some strategies you wouldn't usually consider. I sorta want to know more about that topic in general.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
You guys talk about all this as if I ever use items or TMs. :shrug:

Dragonatrix posted:

Ostensibly. The problem with that is that the game doesn't really have a sequence after beating Misty, anyway, so it's kind of a moot point either way. Yeah, you could then use it before beating Misty if you wanted to, but that's not much of a difference overall if you think about it.

I mean, it kinda seems like it has a sequence to me? You have to talk to Bill to get past Cerulean, you have to fight Misty and do the SS Anne to use Cut, and while you can technically fumble your way through the Rock Tunnel blind, realistically you'll need to fight Surge and go through the Diglett Tunnel first so you can use Flash. Then the Pokemon Tower is a dead end, and now Celadon is literally the only place where we can do anything (until we got the tea, at least). There have been a few branches that we can go off on, but they all end in cops/ghosts/fat creatures.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 1, 2020

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Tenebrais posted:

There's definitely a contingent of people out there who like blind LPs because then they get to feel smart by telling them the things everyone knows.
Which, yeah, kind of ruins it for everyone else.

SPOILER POLICY: There isn't one. I'm guessing everybody reading the thread knows way more about the series than I do, so stifling conversation by forbidding people to talk about things seems counterproductive. My eyes glaze over when people start talking about game mechanics, so you won't have to worry too much about spoiling me. Attempts at backseating probably won't affect me either by the same token

Loving the LP, it's always nice when a new update drops, I haven't played any pokemon games since I was like, 12 I think :D

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Seyser Koze posted:

You guys talk about all this as if I ever use items or TMs. :shrug:

I mean, it kinda seems like it has a sequence to me? You have to talk to Bill to get past Cerulean, you have to fight Misty and do the SS Anne to use Cut, and while you can technically fumble your way through the Rock Tunnel blind, realistically you'll need to fight Surge and go through the Diglett Tunnel first so you can use Flash. Then the Pokemon Tower is a dead end, and now Celadon is literally the only place where we can do anything (until we got the tea, at least). There have been a few branches that we can go off on, but they all end in cops/ghosts/fat creatures.

Surge doesn't grant you the ability to use Flash, he grants you the ability to use Fly. It's entirely possible to save Surge for second to last gym battle because he never gives you anything you need, just something that's convenient.

You're right though that the game definitely has an intended sequence. You can badly sequence break the game if you know enough about it already to know where you're going, but it's quite difficult to do by accident on your first playthrough.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
Edit: Oh gently caress I made the same joke twice.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I Hate White Rabbits

We still have a couple places to explore in Celadon. For today, we'll check out the gym, doing our best to ignore the peeping Tom as we enter.

As usual, Kaz has beaten us here. :argh: I wonder what the gym's theme is?

Oh. I almost feel bad about this.

Almost. :laugh:

:j: Only real ladies are allowed in here!

Then how did Kaz get in?

Sure enough, it's all plant Pokemon. We get to see the second form of the Bellsprout, which poisons Aznable before getting turned to charcoal.

Misty may have scarred me, but for once I feel confident that that's not going to happen.

This one is friendlier.

She has an Oddish and Gloom, and it's around now that I realize the poison here ticks for twelve of Az's HP per turn. Yikes! Good thing I stocked up on Antidotes (for a change).

After getting thrashed, she boasts about the strengths of Grass types.

:j:I like the GRASS type. I like how they're easy to raise.

I don't remember what she had, just that they were plants and they burned.

Also Laurie gained enough experience to evolve.

That's unusually specific... wait, it eats the eggmons? I feel like that should count as cannibalism.

:j:Why? We also use them for making flower arrangements!

Huh.

It actually wasn't until this point that I realized you could walk over the little ledges here. Not sure why it took me that long, but there you go.

...I'm going to kill that old man when I get out of here.

The picknicker (weren't these trainers with the caps called Junior Trainers in the original game?) has something a little beefier than usual.

Az still one-shots it, as well as its more evolved big brother.

Aw, thanks.

What are you talking about? You can hardly see Erika on account of all the trees in the way.

See? Trees on all sides, so we're not getting to Erika without Cut, although I don't know how we'd get here without it in the first place.

Let's just carefully sneak around the lonely picnicker and check out Erika's inner circle.

:j:You'd better not underestimate the nice ladies here.

You have no idea how hard I'm trying not to.

Mary the Cooltrainer has both forms of the two plant types we've encountered. Almost immediately Az gets paralyzed.

It doesn't stop him from burning his way through them all, though.

I'll bring marshmallows! :haw:

:arghfist::j:We don't like BUG or FIRE-type POKEMON in here!

I suppose I wouldn't either.

Me!

She hasn't reacted at all to the screams of the flaming plant Pokemon, are you sure she's alive?

Only one Pokemon. This could be interesting.

How is that a plant!? :psyduck:

Actually wait, we can test our new Pidgeotto's egg-hunting power!

...Okay, I'm pretty sure the game actually did say "it's super effective!" when the Gust landed, but this was still the result.

Luckily Az was here to save the day.

:j:especially if I have to battle.

Good luck with that, lady. That's it for the trainers.

:sparkles:It's so pleasant... Oh, dear. I must have dozed off. Welcome.

She really was asleep!

:sparkles:I am a student of the art of flower arranging. My POKEMON are solely of the GRASS type.

Bet she's pissed about all the leaf smoke in the air.

:sparkles:Very well, but I shall not lose.

Yep, she's definitely mad if she's doing the whole "oh you want to fight/I never would have guessed" routine.

So, Gym Leader #4. Erika has three Pokemon, like Surge before her.

Okay, that's actually kind of intimidating. :stare:

Not intimidating enough that one shot of Flamethrower won't take it down, but still.

...I know I say this a lot, but what the hell is that thing? It looks like Cthulhu coughed up a hairball and it sprouted legs.

Whatever it is, it's flammable.

And third we have... oh drat it, I'm going to have to level up the Gloom, aren't I? At least the Vileplume is cuter, but imagine the stench.

:sparkles:You are remarkably strong. I must confer on you the RAINBOWBADGE.

I do wonder how Kaz fared against her with his water starter.

:sparkles:It also allows POKEMON to use STRENGTH in and out of battle. Please also take this with you.

I don't remember what Strength does in this. Do we even have it yet? I guess I'll check after this.

:sparkles:Half the damage it inflicts is drained to heal your POKEMON. Wouldn't you agree that it's a wonderful move?

That does sound pretty sweet, actually.

You can talk to Erika again, in which case...

:sparkles:I would never collect POKEMON if they were unattractive.

...Does anybody want to point out that Erika's lineup is a pitcher plant with fangs, a ball of writhing tendrils, and a flower that smells like rotten meat? I guess there's no accounting for taste.

Our name's where it belongs. Well, not quite where it belongs, Kaz's name is in the way, but you know what I mean. Come to think of it, our nerdy stalker wasn't here to give us the dirt on Erika. Did they throw him out?

Anyway, that's four badges down. We're halfway through the LP, folks! That means there's only (checks notes) a year and a half to go. :suicide:

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Seyser Koze posted:

...Okay, I'm pretty sure the game actually did say "it's super effective!" when the Gust landed, but this was still the result.

You did! Flying is super effective against grass types! And yes that's a grass type.

Also, you joked about cannibalism earlier but that's a serious problem in breeding some birds. Once they figure out the thing that they sit on that makes babies also is delicious they suddenly become horrible parents and will gorge themselves on their own eggs.

If you own a bird, you can cook eggs for them, too! I have yet to meet a pet bird who didn't like hard boiled or scrambled.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
I don't think Grass Gym has ever not been walk-over easy for me. I guess because grass has so many weaknesses. Like, there's a "glass cannon" type you may or may not have seen yet that's supposed to hit a lot of other types in exchange for having a number of weaknesses, and grass still has more weaknesses than that.

Still love grass-types for style, but man is it such a bad type.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

You need a leaf stone to get Vileplume from a Gloom. Giga drain is a pretty sweet move though yes.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Even ignoring the type effectiveness, if you train any Pokemon to 10+ levels higher than you're opponent, then you're definitely gonna have an easy time. If you really wanted to, you could just use Charizard for the rest of the game with little trouble. And at the same time, since you've caught so many Pokemon and are using a variety on your team, you can use them for added challenge, it's the wonder of the series, that you can make the games as easy or as hard as you want.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

As someone who almost always picks Charmander as the starter easily burning through that Grass Gym was pretty drat cathartic after suffering through that uphill struggle with the first couple gyms.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
In Celadon City, you're going to run into a choice of two Pokémon. Choose One Punch Mon.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Seyser Koze posted:

Come to think of it, our nerdy stalker wasn't here to give us the dirt on Erika. Did they throw him out?

They didn't actually! He is in the city though and he'll still give you advice if you find him before you beat Erika. He's somewhere you have to go to progress but you might miss him because his sprite isn't that noticeable.

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 9, 2020

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Edward Mass posted:

In Saffron City, you're going to run into a choice of two Pokémon. Choose One Punch Mon.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

You need a leaf stone to get Vileplume from a Gloom. Giga drain is a pretty sweet move though yes.

Do note that stone evolutions tend to stop learning moves naturally, so you want to wait with doing that until you have a good moveset or are sure you can fill it up with TMs later.

For poison, I think its damage per turn is a percentage of the max HP of your pokemon so it will always stay dangerous.

And I think the gym advice guy is sulking elsewhere in town.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm a bit surprised they never wrote Erika to be more gay-coded, given she staffs her gym with attractive women and hands out the rainbow badge.

I can get why they wouldn't for the original 1995 game but they keep coming back to this and its characters.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

I'm a bit surprised they never wrote Erika to be more gay-coded, given she staffs her gym with attractive women and hands out the rainbow badge.

I can get why they wouldn't for the original 1995 game but they keep coming back to this and its characters.
Not all groups of women are gay...

Your argument is literally, "It's really surprising that this leader of a bunch of pretty women isn't gay.'

The rainbow is not exactly coclusive evidence either. Just another thing which looks pretty.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Chaosfeather posted:

Also, you joked about cannibalism earlier but that's a serious problem in breeding some birds. Once they figure out the thing that they sit on that makes babies also is delicious they suddenly become horrible parents and will gorge themselves on their own eggs.

If you own a bird, you can cook eggs for them, too! I have yet to meet a pet bird who didn't like hard boiled or scrambled.

Egg yolk is technically bird food, so I guess that does make sense.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I have no idea why the Celadon Gym is so opposed to guys, but there you go!

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Carbon dioxide posted:

For poison, I think its damage per turn is a percentage of the max HP of your pokemon so it will always stay dangerous.

Specifically, I think it's something like 1/8 of your max HP every turn. Not a super huge amount, but if you're playing competitive or using the Set battle style, plenty dangerous.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I have no idea why the Celadon Gym is so opposed to guys, but there you go!

Because pretty flowers are really girly and obviously any men just want to get in there to flirt with or stare at the girls. The guy outside sort of implies that.
This place has got a discrimination lawsuit coming.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

cant cook creole bream posted:

Because pretty flowers are really girly and obviously any men just want to get in there to flirt with or stare at the girls. The guy outside sort of implies that.
This place has got a discrimination lawsuit coming.

Let's talk about men's rights

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Let's never.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

In fairness, I haven't played FR/LG in 15 years.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

cant cook creole bream posted:

Not all groups of women are gay...

Your argument is literally, "It's really surprising that this leader of a bunch of pretty women isn't gay.'

The rainbow is not exactly coclusive evidence either. Just another thing which looks pretty.

Erika is not real and even if she was, she would never, ever gently caress you

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Erika is gay and actually has a wife offscreen we never meet.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

paradoxGentleman posted:

Erika is not real and even if she was, she would never, ever gently caress you

Hey, this is unnecessary.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Also this.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
This Is How I Win

With the gym out of the way, the only remaining location to visit in Celadon is this den of sin and iniquity.

The building on the right contains a couple gambling addicts, one of whom seems to be having more luck than the other.

The three girls at the counter exchange game tokens for fabulous prizes. No idea what the items or TMs do...

...But the one in the middle will trade us for Pokemon. We've already seen a couple of these, but they start to sound more exotic the more expensive they get.

Inside the other building, it's slot machines as far as the eye can see.

It's true, I've been a gamer since I played on an Atari 2600 at age three, and I've never been able to quit it.

:words: Kat received 20 COINS from the nice guy.

...Huh. That's suspiciously generous.

There's a prominently displayed Rocket logo behind the counter, I think that rumor just might be true! Also, the girl next to him says that some of the machines have better odds than others. It's a secret!

One of the two girls at the counter just says you can exchange coins for prizes next door. I'm not sure why she's even there. The other one lets you purchase coins. It's about this time I realize that we could've just bought an Abra for only a couple thousand P-Bills. :doh:

Enough of that, let's get to the gaming. One coin unlocks the middle row, two unlocks all three rows, and three unlocks the diagonals.

Rewards are relatively piddling - three Pikachus is something like 30 coins, and that's one of the better results - unless you get three sevens, in which case you get 300.

Surprising nobody, the game is rigged to give you two sevens and something useless for your third in order to make you think the big win is just around the corner.

But, before I've done my first twenty or so spins, fortune smiles upon me.

And then a short time later it does it again.

And then again! Three Rocket logos is worth 100, I think?

Cross my heart, I just picked a machine at random, but it's gonna be pretty great if it turns out I stumbled upon the one with the best odds and the thread is furious at me for it.

So, at this point I go right back to gambling. I definitely didn't talk to a Rocket goon, get in a fight, discover a secret button, enter the lair of a criminal organization, and save the game there only to not come back until a couple weeks later and a day before I fail my toxx, leaving me scrambling for update content. No siree. I'm just playing the slots, like any ordinary ten-year-old in Pokeworld would be doing.

Anyway, later...

Much later...

Much, much later...

...I max out on coins. All together it probably took about an hour and a half of mashing the A button while watching TV. A couple times I'd have a dry spell where I'd lose about 200 coins, but for the most part I got three sevens on a pretty regular basis. Weirdly, the Rocket logo? Only came up twice the whole time.

So I pop next door to pick up the grand prize.

I'm not actually sure what I'm buying, but this nickname will do for the time being.

Now I'm wishing I'd called it Jobe or Sid 6.7 or some other '90s VR sci-fi reference. :sigh:

Anyway, that's it for this update. I got roped into playing for a musical on short notice (a hazard of being related to a music director) which unexpectedly ate up my evenings for a couple weeks. Next time you can look forward to watching me play the slots even more so I can buy the other two Pokemon some plot development? Maybe?

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Also, the nickname rater guy isn't that far away, so if anybody has a better name for the Porygon (or either of the other prizes) I'm open to suggestions.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

...Holy crap, you actually maxxed your coins out. :aaa:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

You might be the first person to ever get a legit porygon in gen 1.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Porygon!! Name him Quackers, please :kimchi:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Jesus christ you actually got a legit Porygon? That puts you above most pokemon fans. Not even trolling.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
You could rename it Rosamia, even though Porygon have no gender.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

FoolyCharged posted:

You might be the first person to ever get a legit porygon in gen 1.

But this is Gen 3. :v:

That said, that's pretty impressive all the same. Now get Dratini and Scyther.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

WOW :aaa:.

I never thought that anyone would be willing enough to max out their coins just from the slots.

By the way, there are a couple of invisible coins in the game corner, but you clearly don't need them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

You're a madman/woman/person. Also, if you get a Dratini, name him Puff and also never take him out of your party.