Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

homeless snail posted:

it doesn't even hurt that much after you get used to it

I'm left handed. It was never comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Andrast posted:

the pain was worth it

its def a fun game but it cant be overstated how hateful the controls are to the point where i would unironically recommend if someone has any form of hand strain issues they never attempt to play it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

bet if you hooked it into an emulator with wasd to move and mouse to point you could have a good time

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Where is Rarity

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I really want to re-play Jade Empire because I loved it when it was released (Xbox version). I actually bought the PC version on steam sale a few years ago but I keep holding off. I think I’m partially afraid of having my rose-tinted memories disappointed.

Anyone played it recently? Does it still hold up?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

i remember playing jade empire coming off of playing ninja gaiden (black?) thinking it was going to be that in a kotor world and boy howdy was young cowcaster disappointed

How would it have been if you had just come off KotoR instead? I never got to play it, but was super hyped for it when it was in development. I thought it was cool that there was a class or skill to use improvised weapons, in my head it was like you could just grab random poo poo nearby and use it as well as a real weapon. I never ended up getting it or buying it later, vaguely remember people said it was "okay."

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I remember the PC version being completely unplayable on my PC at the time. That's it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That was probably a big reason I never got it. Back then my computer had a really hard time with WoW. My friends saw it one time at a sleepover and I still get poo poo for it to this day.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Khanstant posted:

How would it have been if you had just come off KotoR instead? I never got to play it, but was super hyped for it when it was in development. I thought it was cool that there was a class or skill to use improvised weapons, in my head it was like you could just grab random poo poo nearby and use it as well as a real weapon. I never ended up getting it or buying it later, vaguely remember people said it was "okay."

it was kotor with a very token nod to having real time action combat instead and in a vaguely asian flavored fantasy world instead of a vaguely sci fi flavor fantasy world. all the of the virtues and all of the sins of bioware rpgs are all there, essentially being codified by it since it was their first shot at doing their own setting instead of something out of the star wars license.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Unless I missed something, there's a grand total of one area in Jade Empire where you can actually use improvised weapons, and it's pretty early on. The game seems to completely forget about the mechanic after that.

Jade Empire has some pretty good moments and it's fun to explode bandits with your magic kung fu, but the writing is pretty standard BioWare fare (complete with dodgy romances and stupid evil options) and the mechanics are pretty bare-bones. I feel the biggest problem is the skill point system, because you don't get enough points to properly use all the cool late-game styles you unlock and you kinda have to stick with the first couple of styles you start with.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Songbearer posted:

Where is Rarity

Either chased off by transphobic assholes or on a bender

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

bet if you hooked it into an emulator with wasd to move and mouse to point you could have a good time
mouse would be better than analog stick, but its not really a game about carefully aiming specifically at things, especially at higher difficulties. its more making bold movements to gesture towards the things you want to hit. that's why trackball would be best, because the touch screen is emulating one anyway

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i remember by refusing to commit to one love interest or the other i got to bang both in a three way, eat that witcher 3

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Cowcaster posted:

i remember by refusing to commit to one love interest or the other i got to bang both in a three way, eat that witcher 3
They're cousins

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Songbearer posted:

Where is Rarity

Last I checked, hasn't made a post in the subforum since late January but is still posting in other subforums

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

yeah but did you get a card for the trouble?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Khanstant posted:

no in either unfortunately

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

works fine emulated with a normal two stick setup and one of the built in control schemes is a dual stick setup but because its the 3ds its with the face buttons so its awful, and it never patched in proper circle pad pro support/new 3ds nub

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Khanstant posted:

thinking about it i actually goog'd it up to check the release dates because i wanted to see which came first, "hot sexy indecisiveness leads to three ways" jade empire was 2005 and "sex leads to hot sexy trading cards" witcher 1 was 2007, so jade empire beat cdprojekt to the punch but only just barely

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
*run into thread out of breath*

Resident

Evil

TV

Show

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/netflix-accidentally-confirms-rumored-resident-evil-series

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

no thanks

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I really want to re-play Jade Empire because I loved it when it was released (Xbox version). I actually bought the PC version on steam sale a few years ago but I keep holding off. I think I’m partially afraid of having my rose-tinted memories disappointed.

Anyone played it recently? Does it still hold up?

I played it a few years ago and it's still pretty good as long as you know you're getting into a BioWare game from that era.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also the Jade Golem style is OP as poo poo.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

quote:

The show is apparently being produced by Constantin Films, the same production studio behind the existing Resident Evil live-action films and the upcoming film reboot.

Pass.

That said a good game to tv show adaptation is The Witcher but I think that’s because it had the books to work with.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i've been messing around with some gba roms and honestly this was the absolute peak of 2d gaming. it's unbelievable how ambitious and sophisticated some of these games are for the hardware they ran on. also the gba sp was the best handheld of all time.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is that the one that cam backlit? I wasnted that thing so much. All I had was some weird spiral worm light for my GBA

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The DS, 3DS, and Switch are all better handhelds imo but I don't intend that as a knock on the GBA, nintendo is just really good at handhelds

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Khanstant posted:

Is that the one that cam backlit? I wasnted that thing so much. All I had was some weird spiral worm light for my GBA

yeah it had a built-in light (originally frontlit, then revised to backlit), rechargeable battery, and a clamshell design. it was the total package. it made the original gba look like a piece of poo poo (not unlike what the ds lite did to the ds)

Weedle fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 9, 2020

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

A guy at my school had the tribal one and we all thought it was extremely badass

it's not really as cool as i remembered

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

A guy at my school had the tribal one and we all thought it was extremely badass

it's not really as cool as i remembered

maybe you have gotten less cool as you have gotten older and just can't recognize the inherent coolness of the tribal SP anymore

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

if its cool enough for mario

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

vitas da king baby

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

homeless snail posted:

if its cool enough for mario

It includes a winamp skin! :woop:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Stux posted:

vitas da king baby

unfortunately a good handheld also needs to have games

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Andrast posted:

unfortunately a good handheld also needs to have games

ive got everything on vita, psp and every home and handheld console up to and including ps1 available to play on it its got plenty of freaking games :cheers:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

cheetah7071 posted:

The DS, 3DS, and Switch are all better handhelds imo but I don't intend that as a knock on the GBA, nintendo is just really good at handhelds

The DS was hampered by having extremely low tech 3D, causing most games on it to look like poo poo. The 2D games were generally good once they'd stopped relying on the gimmicks.

The 3DS was hampered by being a piece of poo poo in every conceivable way.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The 3DS has an amazing library which is the most important thing in a console

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Games are pretty good at stories now that stuff like this seems unnecessary. Like live action versions of cartoons.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

super mario 3d land is one of the best games i have ever played in my life and i'm not even that big of a mario fan. it's loving perfect. and the 3d makes it look like a living toybox. what a game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Andrast posted:

The 3DS has an amazing library which is the most important thing in a console

So many great games wasted.