Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Leave it to Trekkies to rant and debate about sunglasses for ten pages without discussing the actual plot of the show.

All details matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Leave it to Trekkies to rant and debate about sunglasses for ten pages without discussing the actual plot of the show.

Leave it to Trekkies to not actually read the last 10 pages for a pointless lovely potshot at other Trekkies.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Why don't we all just vape some snake root and relax, folks

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

socialsecurity posted:

Leave it to Trekkies to not actually read the last 10 pages for a pointless lovely potshot at other Trekkies.

Leave it to Trekkies to get overly offended at my posts!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Leave it to Trekkies to get overly offended at my posts!

Well maybe something is wrong with YOU!

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Let us settle our differences on the ambo-jitsu court.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Why don't we all just vape some snake root and relax, folks

One time I was so hosed up on snake leaf I picked up the wrong jar and accidentally vaped some Hupyrian beetle snuff.

Let's just say that's NOT an experience I recommend.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Let us settle our differences on the ambo-jitsu court.

Of all the future Star Trek sports, each dumber than the last, this is the stupidest one

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Have you ever used the holodeck.... on SNAKELEAF??

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

Well maybe something is wrong with YOU!

I just want you to know I saw this and appreciated it

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

zoux posted:

Of all the future Star Trek sports, each dumber than the last, this is the stupidest one

How dare you say that about THE ULTIMATE EVOLUTION OF THE MARTIAL ARTS

*flips down car visor, picks up giant Q-tip*

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

zoux posted:

The ultimate evolution of the stupid martial arts

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

The ultimate evolution of the stupid martial arts

So is ambo-jitsu what happens when martial arts go to warp 10?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K1wPPYKwss

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Anbo-Jiutsu is what happens when a sad Alaskan dad watches a martial arts holomovie at 3am and decides that’s the best way for him to bully his son

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Tighclops posted:

I just want you to know I saw this and appreciated it

I no longer remember what episode it's even from. My brain has deleted it from everything except this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0_iKF8YR8g

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

In all honesty I think it would have been significantly less idiotic if the answer was "yes, people still enjoy nicotine in the future" instead of "well YOU SEE it's actually Orion space drugs"

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Anbo-Jiutsu is what happens when a sad Alaskan dad watches a martial arts holomovie at 3am and decides that’s the best way for him to bully his son

Stop writing fan fiction about my childhood

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

In all honesty I think it would have been significantly less idiotic if the answer was "yes, people still enjoy nicotine in the future" instead of "well YOU SEE it's actually Orion space drugs"

I feel like none of you have ever seen a Star Trek before

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

zoux posted:

I feel like none of you have ever seen a Star Trek before

Care to elaborate or is this the page in the ST thread where everyone just takes potshots at each other

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Care to elaborate or is this the page in the ST thread where everyone just takes potshots at each other

"normal earth thing but from space" is pretty much everything in Star Trek. The other stuff is classic 20th century human media.

May I interest you in some Alderbaran whisky?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I know that giving things a space name is a very Star Trek thing to do but as somebody who vapes a lot of not in space weed to deal with chronic pain there is no way that scene could not have been funny

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

zoux posted:

"normal earth thing but from space" is pretty much everything in Star Trek. The other stuff is classic 20th century human interest.

"Humans still like old human stuff" is also a recurring theme in Star Trek

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

"Humans still like old human stuff" is also a recurring theme in Star Trek

Really I hadn't heard.

If it would've been just weed people would have whined that oh just cause marijuana is popular now suddenly they're smoking weed in Star Trek even though they never did once before.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
It would have made a lot of sense for her to just replicate some form of edible really

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

zoux posted:

Really I hadn't heard.

If it would've been just weed people would have whined that oh just cause marijuana is popular now suddenly they're smoking weed in Star Trek even though they never did once before.

I wasn't trying to be a dick in my response to you so I'm not sure why you're continuing to be sarcastic about it.

Tighclops posted:

It would have made a lot of sense for her to just replicate some form of edible really

Apparantly what she's smoking is the same plants she's growing and seen watering on her front porch. I could maybe see an incredible stretch of "parallels between Picard growing wine in luxury and Raffi growing space weed in the desert" but I sincerely doubt that much thought was put into it

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I wasn't trying to be a dick in my response to you so I'm not sure why you're continuing to be sarcastic about it.

I was being sarcastic because in my post you quoted I said the same thing you said, which gets entitles you to 1 sarcasm for not reading the post.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I don't think Michael Chabon's instagram is canon.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

zoux posted:

"normal earth thing but from space" is pretty much everything in Star Trek. The other stuff is classic 20th century human media.

May I interest you in some Alderbaran whisky?

I hate these scenes because it reminds me of back in the 90s when Kool Aid had all kinds of crazy flavors that I liked and have since stopped making.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Computer, Hi-C, Ecto Cooler, Hot

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Just imagine how many flavors of Capri Sun they have in the 24th century :popeye:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Just imagine how many flavors of Capri Sun they have in the 24th century :popeye:

Ferengi Mango is my favorite 24th century Capri Sun flavor

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Worf getting full on Klingon Mad because he can't get the straw into his Plasma Prune Capri Sun

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

zoux posted:

Worf getting full on Klingon Mad because he can't get the straw into his Plasma Prune Capri Sun

Gagh flavored Qapla' Sun

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Apparantly what she's smoking is the same plants she's growing and seen watering on her front porch. I could maybe see an incredible stretch of "parallels between Picard growing wine in luxury and Raffi growing space weed in the desert" but I sincerely doubt that much thought was put into it

I'm not sure why you say apparently, because the actress, on camera, breaks off a piece of one of the plants, sticks it in the miniature space vape, and proceeds to hit it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

TheCenturion posted:

I'm not sure why you say apparently, because the actress, on camera, breaks off a piece of one of the plants, sticks it in the miniature space vape, and proceeds to hit it.

I must have looked away for a sec, I just saw her load something in and hit it.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
The thing I took away from that scene, coded as paranoid old coot in a trailer notwithstanding, is that she's incredibly bitter about Picard having a life outside of Starfleet, incredibly bitter that he didn't so much as look her up after she got fired as collateral damage, and incredibly bitter that she realizes that it's partly her fault; there was nothing standing in her way of doing something else. But as has been pointed out, she seems to be living the life she wants to, isn't starving, isn't wanting for any material comforts, and isn't being bothered.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

TheCenturion posted:

The thing I took away from that scene, coded as paranoid old coot in a trailer notwithstanding, is that she's incredibly bitter about Picard having a life outside of Starfleet, incredibly bitter that he didn't so much as look her up after she got fired as collateral damage, and incredibly bitter that she realizes that it's partly her fault; there was nothing standing in her way of doing something else. But as has been pointed out, she seems to be living the life she wants to, isn't starving, isn't wanting for any material comforts, and isn't being bothered.

:emptyquote:

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Wasn't the first thing she complained about was losing her security clearance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I'd have accepted "she's totally vaping, but she's vaping spacedrugs instead of tobacco or weed." Because, y'know, one of the fun bits of Boldly Going is finding new and interesting things to eat, drink and smoke. Getting into the well-actuallies about the vape pen being totally this Orion cultural thing is a little tryhard, though.