Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TheCenturion posted:

The thing I took away from that scene, coded as paranoid old coot in a trailer notwithstanding, is that she's incredibly bitter about Picard having a life outside of Starfleet, incredibly bitter that he didn't so much as look her up after she got fired as collateral damage, and incredibly bitter that she realizes that it's partly her fault; there was nothing standing in her way of doing something else. But as has been pointed out, she seems to be living the life she wants to, isn't starving, isn't wanting for any material comforts, and isn't being bothered.

I’m almost wondering at this point how many other members of the Verity’s crew did Starfleet weedwhack because of Picard’s stunt and if so how did they handle it? Better or worse than Raffi did? Because Starfleet probably cleaned house on that ship to scrub it of any trace of Picard and/or to spite Picard personally, so I’m betting a lot of people got fired and the only one we actually saw get the axe was Raffi.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Mal-3 posted:

I'd have accepted "she's totally vaping, but she's vaping spacedrugs instead of tobacco or weed." Because, y'know, one of the fun bits of Boldly Going is finding new and interesting things to eat, drink and smoke. Getting into the well-actuallies about the vape pen being totally this Orion cultural thing is a little tryhard, though.

I mean, that's what it is so far in the show. The "well actually" just seems to be some backstory the show runners had on deck for when fans get on their case about it; all you're supposed to get out of it as a normal viewer is "space drugs."

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I mean, that's what it is so far in the show. The "well actually" just seems to be some backstory the show runners had on deck for when fans get on their case about it; all you're supposed to get out of it as a normal viewer is "space drugs."

I honestly wonder if he came up with some nonsense words on the fly, knowing that all us Trekkies would accept it without a second thought.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Leave it to Trekkies to rant and debate about sunglasses for ten pages without discussing the actual plot of the show.

That's not an issue with Trekkies so much as it is a cultural problem with TVIV going back fifteen years or more. People fixate on minutiae and then runn jokes about it into the ground to cover for their inability to actually watch and understand a television programme. See also deliberately misconstruing events depicted on screen to allow for criticism fitting an agenda.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 10, 2020

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

That's not an issue with Trekkies so much as it is a cultural problem with TVIV going back fifteen years or more. People fixate on minutiae and then runn jokes about it into the ground to cover for their inability to actually watch and understand a television programme. See also dliberately misconstruing events depicted on screen to allow for criticism fitting an agenda.

So a few people joking about sunglasses means they are morons?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

nine-gear crow posted:

I’m almost wondering at this point how many other members of the Verity’s crew did Starfleet weedwhack because of Picard’s stunt and if so how did they handle it? Better or worse than Raffi did? Because Starfleet probably cleaned house on that ship to scrub it of any trace of Picard and/or to spite Picard personally, so I’m betting a lot of people got fired and the only one we actually saw get the axe was Raffi.

Hell, I can't think of any reason, illustrated in the show, about *why* they'd fire her. She was being a good XO and supporting her superior.

So either they hauled her in and said 'JL just resigned, are you going to let this go and accept reassignment?' to which she answered 'no, gently caress you,' or they fired her as punishment for Picard's SHEER loving HUBRIS. Probably, it was the former, but she feels like it was the latter.

Point being, she's a crazy trailer hillbilly by choice, and she hates that about herself.

That said, it would have been interesting to see Picard roll up to her luxury condo, where she indulges in painting, sculpting, and learning whatever esoteric things catch her fancy, but being utterly bored and hating not being 'out there' at the forefront of exploration and discovery.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

socialsecurity posted:

So a few people joking about sunglasses means they are morons?

No. It means we are all morons.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

TheCenturion posted:

Hell, I can't think of any reason, illustrated in the show, about *why* they'd fire her. She was being a good XO and supporting her superior.

So either they hauled her in and said 'JL just resigned, are you going to let this go and accept reassignment?' to which she answered 'no, gently caress you,' or they fired her as punishment for Picard's SHEER loving HUBRIS. Probably, it was the former, but she feels like it was the latter.

Point being, she's a crazy trailer hillbilly by choice, and she hates that about herself.

That said, it would have been interesting to see Picard roll up to her luxury condo, where she indulges in painting, sculpting, and learning whatever esoteric things catch her fancy, but being utterly bored and hating not being 'out there' at the forefront of exploration and discovery.

My take from the opening scene in the past was that Raffi was loyal to Picard/the Romulan evacuation plan to the extent that Starfleet knew that if Picard's out, they might as well give her the boot too,

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I've rolled along with everything in the show so far, but everything to do with Raffi is just so dumb and pasted in that there is nothing redeeming I find about her.

Except for the vape, I have nothing bad to say about the vape and support its use I say as I take a big puff on a concentrates vape pen while watching this weird rear end show.

Edit: ok seriously what the hell. I haven't seen a single post about the weird romulan samurai and sword fighting in next week's preview. Does no one else find that weird? Does no one else think all the swordfighting is just a little strange? Maybe the romulan samurai? Why is he a samurai? Why did he choose the hair of a Japanese anime character if he's a romulan refugee? Why does the next episode look exactly like a reused Stargate SG1 Script, complete with an alien world that takes place a few hundred years ago but filmed in Vancouver? Why is no one talking about this?????????

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 10, 2020

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

I missed ship chat, but my very first thought when looking at this was "Why is the Akira there with all the hero ships and all the Enterprises?"

Ugh I hate the NX-01 and also John Eaves.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

That's not an issue with Trekkies so much as it is a cultural problem with TVIV going back fifteen years or more. People fixate on minutiae and then runn jokes about it into the ground to cover for their inability to actually watch and understand a television programme. See also deliberately misconstruing events depicted on screen to allow for criticism fitting an agenda.

nah

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

piratepilates posted:

Edit: ok seriously what the hell....whole heap of talk about an episode that hasn't even aired yet... Why is no one talking about this?????????

Because that episode hasn't aired yet so we only have a few seconds possibly out of context to go on.

Regarding sunglasses chat, I couldn't care less. Oh this Vulcan wears sunglasses sometimes, fine. Maybe her eyes are more sensitive or something. It will be funny if it's a clue to something though. Reminds me of early in Matt Smith's first season of Doctor Who where a few people got hung up on a minor costuming error while others got annoyed at them, until in the finale it turned out to be a crucial clue to everything.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

Because that episode hasn't aired yet so we only have a few seconds possibly out of context to go on.

Regarding sunglasses chat, I couldn't care less. Oh this Vulcan wears sunglasses sometimes, fine. Maybe her eyes are more sensitive or something. It will be funny if it's a clue to something though. Reminds me of early in Matt Smith's first season of Doctor Who where a few people got hung up on a minor costuming error while others got annoyed at them, until in the finale it turned out to be a crucial clue to everything.

I made this joke in the other thread already but if Discovery S1 taught us anything about people with weird sensitivity to sunlight...

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

piratepilates posted:

Edit: ok seriously what the hell. I haven't seen a single post about the weird romulan samurai and sword fighting in next week's preview. Does no one else find that weird? Does no one else think all the swordfighting is just a little strange? Maybe the romulan samurai? Why is he a samurai? Why did he choose the hair of a Japanese anime character if he's a romulan refugee? Why does the next episode look exactly like a reused Stargate SG1 Script, complete with an alien world that takes place a few hundred years ago but filmed in Vancouver? Why is no one talking about this?????????

He hasn't been depicted using 21st century fashion accessories or slang yet.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Senor Tron posted:

If the interview with the actor is anything to go by, I think it probably will end up being one of those clues.

Spoilered just in case it's right and people would rather not know? But I'm just guessing.

She mentioned it was a reference to glasses worn by Anna Karina in a Godard's Le Petit Soldat (film not actually specified, but that makes the most sense thematically), which might support online theories that Dr Jurati is likely a mole. Assuming it's not just a throwaway reference, which would be a weird thing to specify in the script itself.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 11, 2020

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I really liked the actress's performance as Raffi.

Really every actor in this show is super solid so far. I guess Dajh and Romulan snaggletooth are comparatively weaker than the rest, but they're also youngest and have some of the corniest stuff to work with so far.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

piratepilates posted:

After the destruction of their homeworld, many Romulans turned to Lord of the Rings Online to escape reality. Their children did not know the simulation wasn't real.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Look, if you want to clear up some things about both Oh and Jurati, go back and rewatch the "This season, on Star Trek Picard..." teaser that played after episode 1.

You can see a scene that is very clearly Oh mind-melding with Jurati during their meeting, which both confirms Oh is a Vulcan, and that something isn't above board with Jurati since this was a detail that was kept hidden to be revealed later

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Seemlar posted:

Look, if you want to clear up some things about both Oh and Jurati, go back and rewatch the "This season, on Star Trek Picard..." teaser that played after episode 1.

You can see a scene that is very clearly Oh mind-melding with Jurati during their meeting, which both confirms Oh is a Vulcan, and that something isn't above board with Jurati since this was a detail that was kept hidden to be revealed later

Hah! I hate watching teasers (and this is why) so I didn't see that. But that sure is a hell of a lot less subtle than just some sunglasses. Where's the fun in that, trailer makers?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I really liked the actress's performance as Raffi.

Really every actor in this show is super solid so far. I guess Dajh and Romulan snaggletooth are comparatively weaker than the rest, but they're also youngest and have some of the corniest stuff to work with so far.

I think she was better as Dajh than she's been as Soji so far, but this is also like one of her first acting jobs ever according to IMDB, so in that respect she's doing phenomenal as a relative newcomer. Especially when she's able to hold her own against Sir Patrick Stewart.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Lizard Combatant posted:

Hah! I hate watching teasers (and this is why) so I didn't see that. But that sure is a hell of a lot less subtle than just some sunglasses. Where's the fun in that, trailer makers?

It's one of those cases where I usually watch them because at the time they're mostly just out of context things that don't 'spoil' anything in advance, you don't really know what it means until you reach it in the show itself. But this particular thing answers a question before the show says the answer itself.

Should have put the sunglasses scene in the trailer instead. Or maybe not, maybe that was the best surprise of them all.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Seemlar posted:

It's one of those cases where I usually watch them because at the time they're mostly just out of context things that don't 'spoil' anything in advance, you don't really know what it means until you reach it in the show itself. But this particular thing answers a question before the show says the answer itself.

Should have put the sunglasses scene in the trailer instead. Or maybe not, maybe that was the best surprise of them all.

I don't watch them for the same reason I hate recaps, having spent enough time with producers to come to the conclusion that they have this fixation on underestimating the audience. (I mean they're responsible for selling it to as wide an audience as possible, so it's somewhat understandable)

Recaps, especially in shows with a mystery plot, tend give the game away by directing you to details with big flashing lights like "THESE ARE THINGS YOU MUST KNOW BECAUSE THEY WILL BE IMPORTANT TO THIS EPISODE! REMEMBER THEM!", now yeah you want to remind people who rely on recaps in complex plots of where people are, what they're doing, etc... but I like being surprised and having "of course!" moments so I've stopped ever watching them.

Same with teasers, you'll get a teaser back with notes basically asking to change it to a full plot synopsis and it's maddening. To me, a good teaser should pose a question that only watching the next episode can answer.

I haven't been watching the next times on this show, but I'm guessing they've been vague enough and otherwise pretty good at holding back details since they haven't been popping up in the thread. Which is nice.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 11, 2020

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Seemlar posted:

I'm only just now getting into TOS so my mind-meld lore is lacking, but couldn't that just mean Oh knows the details that Picard shared with Jurati at their first meeting, but nothing else? Does a mind-meld make like, a permanent 2-way connection between people, or is it just a "now I know what you know up to this point" deal?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I'm only just now getting into TOS so my mind-meld lore is lacking, but couldn't that just mean Oh knows the details that Picard shared with Jurati at their first meeting, but nothing else? Does a mind-meld make like, a permanent 2-way connection between people, or is it just a "now I know what you know up to this point" deal?

Well if you take Discovery as precedent (which is a bad idea) then Mind Meld once and you've now got a galaxy spanning chat window permanently open. I'm guessing they'll either go for mind control, or compromising her through some info gleaned. Who knows.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It varies, but it’s a permanent two-way connection between people in that both parties retain a portion of the other. They’re not in direct contact but there’s a vestige of each’s personality and memories left behind.

ed: gently caress I forgot about the weird Sarek/Burnham meld that gives them direct contact

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

drat, I hate that idea more than I hate the idea that Oh is MU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

ed: gently caress I forgot about the weird Sarek/Burnham meld that gives them direct contact

That was awful, the most inorganic device possible for giving characters new information. "I'm going to Team Viewer into my Pop's brain to see if he's OK. Oh whaddaya know, he's dreaming about pertinent information to the plot."

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

nine-gear crow posted:

I think she was better as Dajh than she's been as Soji so far, but this is also like one of her first acting jobs ever according to IMDB, so in that respect she's doing phenomenal as a relative newcomer. Especially when she's able to hold her own against Sir Patrick Stewart.

Same, I like Dajh so much better than Soji it's weird even though I don't think she's really playing them that differently. I'm still on the Dajh-is-not-dead train even with what the triangle lady said this past week (which could easily be another red herring)

Snow Cone Capone posted:

drat, I hate that idea more than I hate the idea that Oh is MU

Oh is Men in Black, she's really named O, and the sunglasses were to protect herself from the memory wipe she gave Allison Pill

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Lizard Combatant posted:

That was awful, the most inorganic device possible for giving characters new information. "I'm going to Team Viewer into my Pop's brain to see if he's OK. Oh whaddaya know, he's dreaming about pertinent information to the plot."

I like Discovery but that is legit one of the dumbest possible additions to something we’ve already seen countless times. There were so many better ways to do a Sarek/Michael flashback episode than what we got.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Tars Tarkas posted:

Oh is Men in Black, she's really named O, and the sunglasses were to protect herself from the memory wipe she gave Allison Pill

tbh I like this explanation more than trying to figure out why they had an Asian actress playing a Vulcan (not weird) and gave the character a Korean last name (weird)

e: imagine if this guy showed up on DS9 and he was literally just a random Klingon named O'Brien

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 11, 2020

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
The Burnham-Sarek mind meld is an exception to how they work because Sarek initiated it when Burnham was dead in an attempt to revive her. It's not some kind of precedent setter.

Lizard Combatant posted:

I haven't been watching the next times on this show, but I'm guessing they've been vague enough and otherwise pretty good at holding back details since they haven't been popping up in the thread. Which is nice.

They're doing the same thing they did with Discovery where the preview after episode 1 is basically for a big chunk of the season then after that normal ones that only show the actual next episode, so they're not really overreaching in what they show. I mean, I didn't even think anything of that first one until the conversations about Oh made me think of it.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Seemlar posted:

The Burnham-Sarek mind meld is an exception to how they work because Sarek initiated it when Burnham was dead in an attempt to revive her. It's not some kind of precedent setter.

Nah they needed Burnham to have certain info at that point and slapped a rubbish premise together to get it to her that didn't require being on the same side of the galaxy or using traditional communication.

They completely dropped it in season 2 and instead just had people show up to deliver dialogue and leave (undercutting any sense of tension, urgency or isolation) with no regard to distance or time.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Very upset that Dahj's sister wasn't named Krysl'r.

I am expecting to enjoy inexplicable Romulan samurai this week, but not for the reason the creators intended. At least it's not as much of a dumpster fire as Discovery... yet.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Same, I like Dajh so much better than Soji it's weird even though I don't think she's really playing them that differently.

Add me to that pile too. But my hot take is that it's all in the writing of the characters, and not much to do with the acting. Soji's had a lot more screen time by now but we still have no clear sense of who she (thinks she) is or why she (thinks she) is even there on the cube in the first place.

But then I'm also finding the entire storyline on the cube to be a complete drag compared to the one on Earth, for pretty much the same reason. In Jean-Luc's storyline on Earth, there's a lot that we the audience don't know yet, but they're presented as mysteries that the characters are trying to solve. On the Borg cube, there's also a lot that we the audience don't know, but that's just because the writers haven't gotten around to telling us very much of it yet.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hey, another thing that bugged me:

The one xB they're working on, they specifically say they call it Nameless because they don't know what species it was before it was assimilated, right?

How could Soji speak its language? And why was that fact not a huge deal to everyone around her?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Powered Descent posted:

Add me to that pile too. But my hot take is that it's all in the writing of the characters, and not much to do with the acting. Soji's had a lot more screen time by now but we still have no clear sense of who she (thinks she) is or why she (thinks she) is even there on the cube in the first place.

But then I'm also finding the entire storyline on the cube to be a complete drag compared to the one on Earth, for pretty much the same reason. In Jean-Luc's storyline on Earth, there's a lot that we the audience don't know yet, but they're presented as mysteries that the characters are trying to solve. On the Borg cube, there's also a lot that we the audience don't know, but that's just because the writers haven't gotten around to telling us very much of it yet.

I'm the opposite, the cube is way more interesting to me, although I also have zero idea what Soji's thesis is and if it'll end up mattering, it's probably just her implanted cover story. It's being doled out frustratingly slow, but I'm interested. Show us the grey zone already! Where as Picard on earth and now his ragtag crew of damaged hardasses holds little interest whatsoever.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I thought they referred to them as Nameless just to avoid getting attached since they don’t view them as real beings anymore, just disconnected Borg?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I just checked to be sure and she specifically says "their species had a name, we just don't know what it was"

Like I can accept the reason she knows the language as An Upcoming Big Reveal, but you'd think Hugh or Narek would have massively raised an eyebrow over it.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Hugh did raise an eyebrow over it, didn't he? Wasn't it the entire reason he gave her access to interview the Romulan XBs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I just checked to be sure and she specifically says "their species had a name, we just don't know what it was"

Like I can accept the reason she knows the language as An Upcoming Big Reveal, but you'd think Hugh or Narek would have massively raised an eyebrow over it.

Oh weird, I think I just assumed the language she used was Romulan or something.