Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

And then the Fool committed suicide because Reasons and It. Was. Everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

J_RBG posted:

And then the Fool committed suicide because Reasons and It. Was. Everything.

ban

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

cda posted:

Moby Dick was mostly ftw but it was kind of tiresome how the whale would just Kramer in all the time and then Ishmael would whitesplain it, meanwhile Ahab kept showing his whole rear end, which was kinda cringey. But I have to admit that in spite of it being problematic, a lot of the story was fairly loving epic and there's all kinds of possibilities for shipping.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

cda posted:

Moby Dick was mostly ftw but it was kind of tiresome how the whale would just Kramer in all the time and then Ishmael would whitesplain it, meanwhile Ahab kept showing his whole rear end, which was kinda cringey. But I have to admit that in spite of it being problematic, a lot of the story was fairly loving epic and there's all kinds of possibilities for shipping.

this review is my spirit animal

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

cda posted:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

EmmyOk posted:

Ahab is a messy bitch and that’s the tea sis

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

cda posted:

whitesplain it

quote:

But not yet have we solved the incantation of this whiteness, and learned why it appeals with such power to the soul; and more strange and far more portentous- why, as we have seen, it is at once the most meaning symbol of spiritual things, nay, the very veil of the Christian’s Deity; and yet should be as it is, the intensifying agent in things the most appalling to mankind.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
AN ENTIRE CHAPTER

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

cda posted:

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
What the gently caress have I done

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

vandalism posted:

What the gently caress have I done

forums vandalism

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I can't find the chat there was about it a few days ago, but I'm reading The Master and Margerita at the moment. I'm about one hundred pages in, and it's pretty decent. I was in a bar last night, and talking to the Russian barman (who thinks it's a great book as well, to quote him about Bulgakov "He's one of the best. Probably the best.") Anyway, he was saying that Bulgakov's other book, Morphine was better again. Has anyone read it?

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

It wouldn't really occur to me to compare it to The Master and Margerita; it's very much of a piece with A Young Doctor's Notebook, being a fairly realistic fictional journal based on Bulgakov's experiences as a young country doctor during the revolution. Honestly, I'd read A Young Doctor's Notebook first if you haven't already, but both are well worth reading.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/11/world/europe/gabriel-matzneff-pedophilia-france.html

Interesting story that acts as a pretty strong condemnation of how corrupt the French literary scene is.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
You're telling me that a French writer is also a pedophile?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I'm somehow getting less and less and even less surprised the farther down I read.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I wanted to make a snarky remark or a joke but after I’d read the entire piece I can just say the story made me sad. However, I do enjoy the fact that the fucker got taken down by a book

e: he should’ve quit loving a child

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am kind of disappointed that none of his works have been translated into English because I am kind of curious to see what a cause celebre writing fiction about shameless pederasty reads like

I also hope his victim's book eventually gets translated as well.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
im excited for the final death of degenerate europe and its rebirth under the glorious caliphate

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

im excited for the final death of degenerate europe and its rebirth under the glorious caliphate

It is kind of cool when my perception of Western European contemporary literature as a self-serving circle of navel-gazing libertines is 100% proven true

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

e: he should’ve quit loving a child

Quit loving a Child, Gabriel, and Read Some Real Literature

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 11, 2020

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

chernobyl kinsman posted:

soumission 2: submit harder

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Pictured: French Literary Community

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Tree Goat posted:

soumission 2: submit harder

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
thought for sure that article was gonna be about houellebecq

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

WatermelonGun posted:

thought for sure that article was gonna be about houellebecq

Nah, his books are navel-gazing about people who can't get an erection anymore. Also racism.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Kassad posted:

Nah, his books are navel-gazing about people who can't get an erection anymore. Also racism.

I feel like him and Philip Roth would have gotten along

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Kassad posted:

yup no boners in the elementary particles or platform

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i'm pretty sure that if houellebecq was a paedophile we'd know about it, or at least be easily able to infer it from his writing and commentary. he's not a particularly opaque character.

he should put it on a book jacket: houellebecq: almost certainly not a paedo!

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
there’s absolutely no way he’s not going to write some article about this

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
houellebecq may be the only french author id bet against being a pedophile

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
reminder:
https://www.lemonde.fr/archives/article/1977/01/26/a-propos-d-un-proces_2854399_1819218.html

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

One thing the article doesn't make fully clear is that Matzneff has been regarded as a huge piece of poo poo for as long as I can remember and this only the latest (and the most successful) attempt to bring him to justice. At this point, it can be assumed that every French intellectual who didn't speak out against him since the late 70s is cowardly or complicit

e: Yeah, what Tree Goat said

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

There is a level of decadence to this entire thing that is just insane. Like this quote from a separate article really sums it up

quote:

Pierre Verdrager, a sociologist and author of “L’Enfant Interdit,” or “Forbidden Child,” a book on the politics surrounding pedophilia in the 1970s, said that what united its defenders was the belief that France had an “aristocracy” that was not bound to ordinary norms of conduct.

While the ordinary French appeared revolted by the apologists, writers were considered part of this elite and were even expected to engage in acts of moral transgression, Mr. Verdrager said.

“There was an aristocracy of sexuality, an elite that was united in putting forth new attitudes and behavior toward sex,” Mr. Verdrager said. “And they were also grounded in an extreme prejudice toward ordinary people, whom they regarded as idiots and fools.”

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

WatermelonGun posted:

yup no boners in the elementary particles or platform

Yeah, that was some probably unfair on my part, I was mostly thinking of the main character in Submission since I've seen him described as not finding sex interesting anymore. I have to confess that I've never read any of Houellebecq's books, the summaries I've read all just made them seem unappealing. That and the racism.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

So I guess you ain't no Houellebecq girl

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

the racism in Soumission is vastly overblown by the media controversy imo. sure, some could argue it perpetuates the myth that polygamy is common in islam in a way, but other than that it’s just another typical novel about “bored middle aged professor goes from ennui to horny” but with the twist that the muslim brotherhood gains political power in france

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

those reading it with the hopes of being outraged and those reading it hoping it’ll be edgy enough to look cool to their frog avatared friends will be equally disappointed

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So I guess you ain't no Houellebecq girl

Boo

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Kassad posted:

Yeah, that was some probably unfair on my part, I was mostly thinking of the main character in Submission since I've seen him described as not finding sex interesting anymore. I have to confess that I've never read any of Houellebecq's books, the summaries I've read all just made them seem unappealing. That and the racism.

his books are pretty well written and i quite like the elementary particles. he’s still a disgusting frog but he isn’t william luther pierce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

ulvir posted:

with the twist that the muslim brotherhood gains political power in france

That's actually the bit that put me off the most about this book. It's pure fantasy on par with having Al Qaeda take over the USA. In reality, a religious Muslim party would have literally zero support and it's the far-right that's becoming increasingly mainstream in France (this was already true in 2015 when the book was published).