Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

JamesKPolk posted:

Hah by a weird coincidence those are like the only pedal schematics I've ever really dove into and I just figured everything else was the same. Lots of regulators in synth diy especially the digital side (duh) and I just assumed it was more common throughout.

Whats happening in overdrive pedals? Is it just like giving op amps more power?

Yea, it's just more headroom before clipping happens. Theoretically this allows more nuance when playing music I don't give a poo poo about. :)

The Klon famousy uses a charge pump to run internally at different voltages at different stages (9v early on and then a whopping -9 to +18v in the summing stages for a 27v swing... all from a 9v input) which is supposed to make it sound cooler. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

My Meris Mercury 7 won’t turn on. The lights do a tiny little blip when I plug in the power but nothing else. The worst part? Only a few weeks out of the 1 year warranty period. Has anyone dealt with their customer service? They seem like good people so I’m hoping they might repair it, even if I have to pay a bit.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Kilometers Davis posted:

My Meris Mercury 7 won’t turn on. The lights do a tiny little blip when I plug in the power but nothing else. The worst part? Only a few weeks out of the 1 year warranty period. Has anyone dealt with their customer service? They seem like good people so I’m hoping they might repair it, even if I have to pay a bit.

Have you tried a different power supply?

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!
I just made the mistake of buying a Bass9 and hot drat, this sounds bad. Fuckin noisy too. I thought the _____machines from EHX were supposed to be good?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Death Panel Czar posted:

I just made the mistake of buying a Bass9 and hot drat, this sounds bad. Fuckin noisy too. I thought the _____machines from EHX were supposed to be good?

I have the c9 and it’s not noisy at all. Maybe you got a bad one? How are you powering it?

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!
The power supply that comes with the unit.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I borrowed a friend's Synth9 recently. I was a little surprised with how noisy it could be, it's signal can get very unwieldy.

You might want to try to play cleaner, smoother, softer. I recommend trying with headphones (just be careful the signal doesn't stab your eardrums). You could also try rolling back your guitar's volume a little, I typically play my fender on 9.

Also, most of the recommended settings in the manual have the dry set to off, if it's on at all, it's low, never going post noon.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

hanales posted:

Have you tried a different power supply?

It started working with my power supply when I switched its power port to another on the PP2+. So I guess everything is fine now. It worked fine on the old one before and that one powers other pedals just fine so who knows pedals are wild and fucky :iiam:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yea that thing needs a ton of current and you probably switched it to a higher current port (something over 500ma).

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Yea that thing needs a ton of current and you probably switched it to a higher current port (something over 500ma).

the meris only needs 150 mA per manufacturer’s spec; i only ever run it with my friedman ps though so i can’t confirm that but most manufacturer’s err on the conservative side of power requirements

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Declan MacManus posted:

the meris only needs 150 mA per manufacturer’s spec; i only ever run it with my friedman ps though so i can’t confirm that but most manufacturer’s err on the conservative side of power requirements

most pedals only need like 10-15ma so the non-high-current 9v ports on those power bricks are 100ma or less. A heavily DSP-based pedal should always be given the power supply it wants in my experience. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

ProperCoochie posted:

You might want to try to play cleaner, smoother, softer. I recommend trying with headphones (just be careful the signal doesn't stab your eardrums). You could also try rolling back your guitar's volume a little, I typically play my fender on 9.

Also, most of the recommended settings in the manual have the dry set to off, if it's on at all, it's low, never going post noon.
Re: dynamics, I can roll my guitar volume to right before inaudible and finger pick and still hear clipping. This isn’t me overfeeding the pedal, this is literally any input signal. Dry was off (it’s a bass emulation pedal, I wouldn’t want Dry anyway).

Maybe it’s a defective unit but independent of the noise, I’m not really impressed by the sound of it either. Like it’s probably salvagable with processing but isn’t wowing me enough to want to keep.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Death Panel Czar posted:

Re: dynamics, I can roll my guitar volume to right before inaudible and finger pick and still hear clipping. This isn’t me overfeeding the pedal, this is literally any input signal. Dry was off (it’s a bass emulation pedal, I wouldn’t want Dry anyway).

Maybe it’s a defective unit but independent of the noise, I’m not really impressed by the sound of it either. Like it’s probably salvagable with processing but isn’t wowing me enough to want to keep.

If you’re getting all that clipping it’s likely defective. Did you buy it new? The 9 pedals I’ve played will drop the signal with a low input.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

hanales posted:

If you’re getting all that clipping it’s likely defective. Did you buy it new? The 9 pedals I’ve played will drop the signal with a low input.
Nah it’s an open box return I bought off GC’s website. I guess that makes sense, it probably wasn’t tested between the original return and me getting it.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Anyone got any recommendations for compressors and noise gates?

Also I saw the Kokko compressor is like $20, but the cheap build quality worries me.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pastry Mistakes posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for compressors and noise gates?

Also I saw the Kokko compressor is like $20, but the cheap build quality worries me.

If you're looking for a cheap compressor, the Donner Ultimate Compressor is pretty fantastic. The build quality feels like a Mooer, and it sounds great without really coloring the guitar's tone. I plan on mounting mine to the underside of my board when I have the time and energy to free up some room topside because I leave it on all the time.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

I bought an 856 for zellersasn! ...and it’s super loving confusing. Exciting, weird and lots of fun. Still struggling with it though

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Real noob question time, but what pedal board power supplies does the goon hive mind recommend? And how do I know if I should be looking at isolated ones vs not? The current chain I have running is Mini Fuzz Face > EHX Crayon > EHX Soul Food > EHX Small Stone > EQ Devices Dispatch Master and I plan to add a Looper and maybe drop one of the redundant overdrives if I can ever decide which I like better. Hell maybe a Boost will work its way in in the far future but for now I've worked out that I'll need a power supply with a minimum of 8 ports and have been toying with getting this one.

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010
Is there a reason you wouldn't get the MXR Iso brick instead of the DC brick? https://www.jimdunlop.com/mxr-iso-brick-power-supply/

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I’ve been using a joyo for about 6 years and it’s held up just fine through many gigs.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Preggo My Eggo! posted:

Is there a reason you wouldn't get the MXR Iso brick instead of the DC brick? https://www.jimdunlop.com/mxr-iso-brick-power-supply/

No, that's the thing, It's hard to google poo poo when you don't quite know what you should be asking. As in, what are the specs one should be considering when looking at power supplies? I was able to find out the difference between an isolated supply and not, and that isolated is better, but then why do non isolated ones exist?

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Cost. Also some isolated power supplies will have a couple 18v outs, and a drag.

fake edit: that MXR looks durable, and has a bunch of different options for power you might not need. Voodoo labs power supplies are always super solid.

https://www.sweetwater.com/c961--Pedalboard_Power_Supplies

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I was considering a Voodoo one after looking into it some more last night. This at least helps narrow it down some, thanks all.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I have a voodoo one and it's good. I don't really think you need isolated power for 99% of pedals. A Onespot should be fine.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Isolated inputs are ideal for reducing noise if you have a big board. The Donner bricks are a great bang for your buck: https://www.donnerdeal.com/collections/power-supply

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
I have a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power Plus 2 and it’s been on my board for 9 years and powered on pretty much 24/7.

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010

Turbinosamente posted:

No, that's the thing, It's hard to google poo poo when you don't quite know what you should be asking. As in, what are the specs one should be considering when looking at power supplies? I was able to find out the difference between an isolated supply and not, and that isolated is better, but then why do non isolated ones exist?

I feel you. My view of it is that isolated is more expensive but better, and since the cost isn't stupidly high it's worth it just for the longevity. Having a high-quality fully isolated power supply will make it easy to add more pedals and grow your board without worrying about the power. Onespots probably aren't TOO bad on noise, otherwise people wouldn't use them at all, but having just a little less hum will make it nicer to play every single time you play.

I personally have the MXR iso brick. It's great, easy to tuck underneath the board so it's out of sight, and it provides all the power needs I'll really ever have. It even has some adjustable power outlets so you can give more or less voltage to an individual pedal, in case it's one of those pedals that sounds better/worse with a dying battery.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I drive a BBW posted:

I have a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power Plus 2 and it’s been on my board for 9 years and powered on pretty much 24/7.

Mine died recently and they repaired it out of warranty for free and had it back to me insanely fast. VL rules.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I got a OneSpot and while it does a perfectly fine job powering my drive and looper, the noise from the looper and my favourite settings is just enough to make me plug straight into the amp and not bother. :shrug:

(Yes I know I could fiddle with the settings but the Brit Hi channel on the THR is just too good!!)

Siivola fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 12, 2020

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yea rule of thumb is any pedal with DSP is probably not happy on a onespot. Your Eventide H9 would prefer its own adapter.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Trying to figure out between a boss gt-1000 / mooer 300/ or a helix

I’m just not sold on helix’s sound. The boss’s amp sounds pretty good and effects are nice;however, mooer’s bang for buck seems good.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

An amp like that is entirely about bang for the buck. Go Mooer?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I’ll be using it direct into a PA so amp modeling is important. At this point wondering between the boss and mooer.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
I’m drat stuck trying to determine the best looper setup, and need help!

My studio rig is an AxeFX Ultra and ableton, so I don’t ever need to loop in the studio, but now that I’m doing live stuff again, I need to figure this out.

I write all my music for 3 guitars, but the current band only has 2.

I’ve tried the tiny Ditto, which is neat, but I need more. I’m currently on the super limited looper of my Vypyr amp, which is temporarily okay, but that leads into my issue.

I’d like to be able to:
- tempo sync (or at least start/stop loops on time with a click)
- have more than one available loop, for prerecorded/special stuff. 3-4 would be ideal
- have the ability to layer on top of an existing loop (and remove that added layer like the ditto can do)
- and the big one - somehow work post amp chain. So I can switch to ambient cleans played over a heavily distorted part, and have it work, without needing multiple amps or doing a crazy pedal dance every time I switch tones. I can borrow a Mesa F30 for the fx loop since the Vypyr doesn’t have one, but that might not work.

It sounds like I’m looking for an all-in-one, Boss GT-style amp sim pedalboard that’s also a full-featured, 3-4 channel looper. Which I guess is correct?

Does that even exist?

Note that I’m not locked into amps here, all I care about is easily looping and changing tones, ideally in one “box”.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You want a Boss RC-30 or -300, or the Ditto x4. If they don't work in the amp's effects loop, you also want a programmable loop switcher to do the pedal dance for you.

Or a Kemper I guess.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Are Fuzzhugger pedals any good? The Algal Bloom is super tempting because it's so goddamned pretty, but I can't find any demos that really thrill me compared to other muff-but-tweakable poo poo like the BAT Pharaoh line. It's hard to tell if that's because they're less common or just because the Pharaohs are better pedals.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Death Panel Czar posted:

Are Fuzzhugger pedals any good? The Algal Bloom is super tempting because it's so goddamned pretty, but I can't find any demos that really thrill me compared to other muff-but-tweakable poo poo like the BAT Pharaoh line. It's hard to tell if that's because they're less common or just because the Pharaohs are better pedals.

They are extremely good high quality pedals. The Algal Bloom is probably the most interesting dirt pedal I’ve owned. So much cool texture and tone and it was very responsive to playing dynamics. Feeling sad about the fact that I sold it now that I type this!

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Well that's good to know. It's a little daunting because there's so many loving controls on them. Like I get the feeling I wouldn't use that "Choke" function, but might use the Blend- but then at the same time the Doom Bloom having a dedicated low-end knob also seems super useful.

Did you feel like it stacked well with other gain sources? I'm looking for something to add more dirt after my OD, going into moderately high gain preamps.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
gently caress it, post your boards.

I'm a Broughton fan, as you can see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Juaguocio posted:

gently caress it, post your boards.

Remember you brought this horror upon yourself:

Bullshit excuses include:

-Being unable to decide between the two overdrives.
-Thinking of wedging some kind of tremolo in there maybe.
- Arrangement not final.

But the Voodoo 2 power supply as suggested by this very thread works a treat though!