Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I was born the same year the OD&D box set was first published.

I started playing somewhere around 1982 or 1983 with Moldvay Basic.

Today I realized this means I've been running games for over 80% of the hobby's existence, and that just feels weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

dwarf74 posted:

I was born the same year the OD&D box set was first published.

I started playing somewhere around 1982 or 1983 with Moldvay Basic.

Today I realized this means I've been running games for over 80% of the hobby's existence, and that just feels weird.

... poo poo, this just made me realize I've been writing for nWoD/CofD for longer than owod was an active product line.*

*Discounting the 20th Anniversary Editions and VtM 5e, that is.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

The first post makes me think "This is the weirdest way to admit the origin of Rock and Roll within the African-American community, and he should re-phrase it, but at least he's attributing it?"

The second makes my innocence regarding the first a mockable folly.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

So, out of a flurry of enthusiasm and some not-insignificant weebness, a friend and I put together a Firebrands hack for running a Fate/Stay Night (or related Fate/ franchise story) style war for the Holy Grail/magical mcguffin, but which could be specialized reasonably easily for any team or solo Battle Royale. The other major mechanical influence was Zoofights from this very forum.

There's a bunch of Fate/ specific genre stuff baked in, but I'm pretty proud of it (and the first, exceptionally stupidly large game of it is currently unfolding on a Discord community we're part of with eleven players besides us referees).

Fate/Ignite Array: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sDID5q9wmJL8EB5VAZsQNrqcIicDrXQEJ6y7AHefqeI/edit?usp=sharing

I'm curious if it catches any of your interest, since it's an attempt to do Fate/ nonsense with a narrative bent rather than attempting to simulate the varied magical systems and rule violations and metaphysical hack jobs that is the Fate/ setting. It's more of a collaborative writing framework than a rigorous game.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Joe Slowboat posted:

So, out of a flurry of enthusiasm and some not-insignificant weebness, a friend and I put together a Firebrands hack for running a Fate/Stay Night (or related Fate/ franchise story) style war for the Holy Grail/magical mcguffin, but which could be specialized reasonably easily for any team or solo Battle Royale. The other major mechanical influence was Zoofights from this very forum.

There's a bunch of Fate/ specific genre stuff baked in, but I'm pretty proud of it (and the first, exceptionally stupidly large game of it is currently unfolding on a Discord community we're part of with eleven players besides us referees).

Fate/Ignite Array: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sDID5q9wmJL8EB5VAZsQNrqcIicDrXQEJ6y7AHefqeI/edit?usp=sharing

I'm curious if it catches any of your interest, since it's an attempt to do Fate/ nonsense with a narrative bent rather than attempting to simulate the varied magical systems and rule violations and metaphysical hack jobs that is the Fate/ setting. It's more of a collaborative writing framework than a rigorous game.

Nice, I'm certainly interested.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

MonsieurChoc posted:

Nice, I'm certainly interested.

Sweet! I'd love to know what you think.

It's very explicitly not meant to produce canon-compliant stories, since it's a franchise and frankly the Fate/ related canon is huge and of variable quality/silliness.

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe

90s Cringe Rock posted:

FOX SORD's going to grow up into KITSUNE KATANA if you're not careful.

C'mon, Japanese names have the family name first. It'll clearly be KATANA KITSUNE.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Joe Slowboat posted:

Sweet! I'd love to know what you think.

It's very explicitly not meant to produce canon-compliant stories, since it's a franchise and frankly the Fate/ related canon is huge and of variable quality/silliness.

As someone who has recently been deep diving into Fate content, it seems to me that canon is a flexible and thing within itself, and that everyone cheats anyway.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
is Heroquest any good? I like the old school art on it but the ebay price is :negative:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhNEH07U3KQ

It's got its fans.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Sadly, no Kids D&D this Thursday.

I need a week off. :)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Alan Smithee posted:

is Heroquest any good? I like the old school art on it but the ebay price is :negative:

It's a good game but it's also REALLY simple in nature, so might not be the best usage of your money

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Meinberg posted:

As someone who has recently been deep diving into Fate content, it seems to me that canon is a flexible and thing within itself, and that everyone cheats anyway.

Oh certainly, we just have a player that took a lot of effort to move away from ‘that’s not canon! According to canon you can’t have a heroic spirit that does that!’

Personally I think a core theme of Fate/ is precisely breaking the rules - magecraft is cheating at the universe and paying the price for it, Heroic Spirits are Great Men, Women, and Anime Teens of History who break chronology and historical determinism just by existing in the present, and in general core characters are those who are told ‘this is your place in the world’ and then overcome it.

So canon isn’t just flexible in the series, it’s a target.

This is the line of thought that led to ‘this cannot ever be simulated, so what other kind of game could run it and keep the genre going?’

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I haven't looked at it and already I like it more than the fate unisystem hack

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Joe Slowboat posted:

Personally I think a core theme of Fate/ is precisely breaking the rules - magecraft is cheating at the universe and paying the price for it, Heroic Spirits are Great Men, Women, and Anime Teens of History who break chronology and historical determinism just by existing in the present, and in general core characters are those who are told ‘this is your place in the world’ and then overcome it.

You are absolutely right. Pretty much every major rule mentioned in a Fate/ is either going to be broken by someone or is totally irrelevant to the story. A character isn't a real Heroic Spirit unless they cause another character to call bullshit at least once.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Alan Smithee posted:

I think I posted about it a few months back? Let me check my post history real quick and then edit this post according

Edit The awful app keeps closing when I open the 2019 chat thread. Short answer is I wouldn't pay eBay prices because it's not that great

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

golden bubble posted:

You are absolutely right. Pretty much every major rule mentioned in a Fate/ is either going to be broken by someone or is totally irrelevant to the story. A character isn't a real Heroic Spirit unless they cause another character to call bullshit at least once.

It's a weird kind of humanism, where humans willing to push themselves past their limits can become anything... including horrible monsters. With laser swords.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

I just published Twilight Song on itch! It's a hack of The Quiet Year where you collectively play as an immortal narrator living among people in the peaceful twilight of humanity's current era, as the old world changes into something strange and new. Its main inspiration is the award-winning manga Yokohama Shopping Log* by Hitoshi Ashinano, and among its other inspirations are: their other works, numerous Ghibli films, Mushi-shi, BLAME!, the magical-realist short stories of Bruno Schulz, the illustrations and paintings of Jacek Yerka, and the music of Joe Hisaishi. Even if you haven't heard of most of these things, I recommend checking them out anyway - they're a mix of the weird, wonderful, and sublime and my game is an attempt to hold a candle to that.

But back to Twilight Song - if you've played The Quiet Year or seen any of the whole raft of PbP games that've been run on the forums over the past few years (including the Twilight Song alpha playtest) then you'll have a bit of an idea of how Twilight Song works, except there's a bunch of pretty dramatic changes! First, you collectively play a single immortal narrator who lives with humans, but isn't one of them. Second, there's a greater focus on the weirdness of the world and everyday interactions with that weirdness. Third, it's not just one year - it's decades, it's generations! Between each in-game year there's an interval of anywhere from a single night (running straight into the next year) to an entire generation. That's where things start getting a lot weirder, and even if you're not hot on pastoral stories this might still interest you. In each interval you pick and choose prompts from a set of lists, and the longer it goes for, the more lists you pick from and the stranger they get:
  • Wait a few years and you get prompts like "An old place was repurposed for something new", "You met someone in person who should’ve been far away", or "Somewhere abandoned became overgrown or rundown".
  • Wait around a decade and they starting turning into things like "A human-shaped person joined the community", "Someone repaired a broken-down piece of technology using unusual parts", and "You found a place that seemed to be a window into the past".
  • Wait a whole generation and they turn into things like "An ancient construct was revealed or hidden by changes in the natural or artificial world", "Nobody died and nobody was born in the interim", and "The old wild land or strange new land reclaimed part of the region".
So over time the definition of what's 'normal' or 'everyday' can change... a lot. Or perhaps only a little. It all depends on what kind of story you want to tell, and if you want to tell a story where e.g. the earth gets overrun by an alien crystal jungle over the span of 50-100 years, utterly transforming human civilisation, then you can do that too. Ultimately it's pretty flexible, as long as the story you're telling is about some kind of everyday life - and like The Quiet Year you could easily use it as a world-building tool to create a setting you can play a longer game in with the game system of your choice.

Anyway, here's a link to the tweet where I launched the game if you have a twitter account and a moment to spare giving it a boost:

https://twitter.com/SpeaktheSky/status/1227331054987554820

*if 'shopping log' sounds a bit too pastoral for you, it also has: gay robots, sunken cities, and a giant bird-like aircraft slowly orbiting the earth, among other things

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Hello thread. I am playing 5th edition again because I don't love myself enough.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

So this happened.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/303113/Hexpunk

I think we have a new low for cover design.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Reene posted:

Hello thread. I am playing 5th edition again because I don't love myself enough.

I was going to make a jokey insult but no that actually about says it.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

UnCO3 posted:

I just published Twilight Song on itch! It's a hack of The Quiet Year
Speaking of The Quiet Year, the designer, Avery Alder, is involved with what's effectively a charity sale including that game plus a mini-game collection to raise money for the women's shelter they work with:

https://twitter.com/lackingceremony/status/1227280022659977217

So if you grab it now you'll also be helping out a shelter in need.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

UnCO3 posted:

[...]
I just published Twilight Song on itch! [...]

Bought!
Thanks UnCO3, that gave me fuzzy feels, hope it does the same for my gaming group ^^

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I just realized, as of February 15th, I will have been running and playing these stupid-rear end games for 45 years. Jesus.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Mr.Misfit posted:

Bought!
Thanks UnCO3, that gave me fuzzy feels, hope it does the same for my gaming group ^^
Thanks! Let me know if you have any questions about rules, and if you do get to play, let me know how it goes!

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I just realized, as of February 15th, I will have been running and playing these stupid-rear end games for 45 years. Jesus.
What, you ran your first game as a valentine present in 1985?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Tibalt posted:

What, you ran your first game as a valentine present in 1985?
That's 30 years. :)

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I sympathise. There are people in my regular pool of players who weren't born when I first sat down with a book of rules and some dice.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

dwarf74 posted:

I still have my first printing Brown Box set and Greyhawk, Blackmoor, Eldritch Wizardry, Gods, Demigods, and Heroes, and Chainmail.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

dwarf74 posted:

Nonsense, the 90s were like 10 years ago

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I still have my first printing Brown Box set and Greyhawk, Blackmoor, Eldritch Wizardry, Gods, Demigods, and Heroes, and Chainmail.

Would you like a down payment on a house instead?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Froghammer posted:

Nonsense, the 90s were like 10 years ago
I have no rebuttal.

It makes sense, given the 80's were only 20 years ago.

(also dangit, Humbug Scoolbus has 7 or 8 years of gaming on me.)

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Hello everyone, I wrote another blog post that is likely to get me a redtext. In this case I introduce the concept of designing TTRPGs for gamefeel. I have the next article in the series written already and the next two in outlines, so this series is going to be an actual series!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Meinberg posted:

Hello everyone, I wrote another blog post that is likely to get me a redtext. In this case I introduce the concept of designing TTRPGs for gamefeel. I have the next article in the series written already and the next two in outlines, so this series is going to be an actual series!

Yes. I am excited for this topic.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

DalaranJ posted:

Yes. I am excited for this topic.

Nice! Next three posts are going up weekly, then after that I'm moving to a monthly schedule as I tackle specific genres and types of scenes. Those will be taking longer because I intend to also a publish game that demonstrates the mechanics I devise in each of those blogs posts.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Meinberg posted:

I think I know what you meant, but because I am an rear end in a top hat, this bit:

quote:

it is much more important for a game to be engaging, that is, that the participants desire to see the end of a session.

actually made me think of bad games in which I thought, "I cannot wait for this session to be over."

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I think I know what you meant, but because I am an rear end in a top hat, this bit:

actually made me think of bad games in which I thought, "I cannot wait for this session to be over."

yes but that's not very obviously not what's meant. In your scenario you would like to see an immediate end to a game, in meinberg's they would like to see a game through to completion

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Meinberg posted:

Probably the first time I've read an article of yours and not only agreed with everything, but beyond that, nothing you say here should be even remotely controversial.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Probably the first time I've read an article of yours and not only agreed with everything, but beyond that, nothing you say here should be even remotely controversial.

There is one thing I wasn’t sure about, but it’s more an extra concern than a disagreement.

Rolling a d20 and adding modifiers doesn’t create the feel of a raucous battle, but that’s assuming the player actually wants the feel of a raucous battle in a mechanical sense. They might want to imagine the scene that way, but what they usually want as the feeling of play is a controlled and tactical battle where choices can be intelligently made and matter. Not an actual chaotic ruck where they have no idea what’s going on and any choice could be randomly wrong because it only takes one person to be holding a sword at just the right angle for it to go through your kidney when you move.

This dissociation of player desire causes plenty of problems. It’s even worse for gun fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Definitely not the intent of my statement, but I can see how it could be read that way.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm saving some of my hotter takes for later in the series! The next one should be extra spicy, I think.

hyphz posted:

There is one thing I wasn’t sure about, but it’s more an extra concern than a disagreement.

Rolling a d20 and adding modifiers doesn’t create the feel of a raucous battle, but that’s assuming the player actually wants the feel of a raucous battle in a mechanical sense. They might want to imagine the scene that way, but what they usually want as the feeling of play is a controlled and tactical battle where choices can be intelligently made and matter. Not an actual chaotic ruck where they have no idea what’s going on and any choice could be randomly wrong because it only takes one person to be holding a sword at just the right angle for it to go through your kidney when you move.

This dissociation of player desire causes plenty of problems. It’s even worse for gun fighting.

As for this, well, there's a difference between something feeling like a frantic and chaotic fight and the mechanics being frantic and chaotic. And it's not the only way to represent a fight, that is also true. A fight can also be represented by something quieter, more like a duel or a gunfight, where there's a lot of stillness followed by sudden action. But generally, that's not what being portrayed in D&D. D&D is a melee, a wild clash of forces, and it needs something faster paced to represent that.