Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chupacabron
Oct 30, 2004

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Barbell Medicine has a ton of interesting content on back pain, especially on their podcast where they put up recordings of some of their seminars or whatever. Like, the vast majority of it is non-specific(meaning it's real, but hurts for reasons other than injury or tissue damage) and some stupid small number like 2-4% of back pain is actually even disc related.

Bitchin' thanks man, Barbell Medicine was exactly what I was thinking of, I just blanked on the name. It's not my first time at the Snap Your poo poo Up rodeo so I wasn't worried about it being serious but it's nice to review the treatment/training procedure periodically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

nooneofconsequence posted:

Imma start yelling at dudes leaving the 100s on the leg press. Little old ladies can't handle that poo poo.

Literally snidely ask people if they're not strong enough to unrack their weights. A 135 bench might be a warmup for you, but those plates hanging on the bar might be why the person trying to lift for the first time never comes back.

Unrack your god drat weights.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Chief McHeath posted:

Literally snidely ask people if they're not strong enough to unrack their weights. A 135 bench might be a warmup for you, but those plates hanging on the bar might be why the person trying to lift for the first time never comes back.

Unrack your god drat weights.

The hack squat, smith machine and calf press at my gym always have weights left on them but don't worry, management sends out stern emails which are definitely completely ignored

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

The hack squat, smith machine and calf press Plate Storage Machines at my gym always have weights left on them but don't worry, management sends out stern emails which are definitely completely ignored

FTFY. There will always be a 2.5kg plate hidden among the 20/25kg plates ready to fly off and smash the feet of whoever decides to put them away.

My favourite is the people who use a fixed weight barbell for a few reps, then leave it standing vertically in the middle of the free weight area like some sort of muscle totem.

ANGRYGREEK
May 3, 2007

If you meet the Storm Spirit on the lane, gank him.
I am interested to set max PRs on the classic lifts, just to see how much I could do. How would you guys approach that? Is a spotter needed, or could I do this alone, with added risk of needing the ol’ roll of shame?
Like, how do you guys know your maxes?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

There's two ways. The fun way and the way you get the highest number.

The fun way is to just throw weight on the bar and do singles till you either fail or know you wouldn't be able to do more.

The other way is to run a peaking block and test based on estimations from current rep PRs.

One day at the gym work up to a rpe 9 to 9.5 triple in SBD. That should be about 90%~ of your max. Which will give you an idea of what to shoot for. Actual maxs could be higher or lower based on how you felt that day and how well the peak goes.

A lot of programs will have peaking and test/meet weeks built in but Barbell Medicine has a peaking template if your running 531 or something that doesn't have a peaking block. https://www.barbellmedicine.com/peaking-template/

If you're worried just do squat and bench in a cage with proper safety height.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

ANGRYGREEK posted:

I am interested to set max PRs on the classic lifts, just to see how much I could do. How would you guys approach that? Is a spotter needed, or could I do this alone, with added risk of needing the ol’ roll of shame?
Like, how do you guys know your maxes?

Go try. Like you probably have an idea in your head of where the weight would be very heavy to you, so put on 70/80/90% of that and try singles. See how it feels. If it feels easy add 5-10% and keep trying. Give yourself ample rest time in between each attempt.

Spotter for bench, two spotters for squats if you don't have safeties in your rack/lift (one spotter on squat is just kinda... what the gently caress are they going to do to help you?), nothing for deadlift.

What are your best lifts/sets for the classic lifts?

e - and testing wise, you can treat it like a fake powerlifting meet and do everything in one day (squat -> bench -> deadlift) but this is really stressful and hard on the system and you likely won't hit your best singles in bench/deadlift. For example at one point I did a 12wk program to a peak at the end and hit a new PR on squat, then completely missed my goal on bench by 20 lbs. Came back five days later and added +25 to the bench. It's super taxing on your system to do it in a day, I have all the kudos for powerlifters who can pull this poo poo off. Try like, one max a week or something and you'll do much better.

Omnikin fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Feb 12, 2020

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Don't forget to video yourself, otherwise the lift never counts.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Whipstickagostop posted:

FTFY. There will always be a 2.5kg plate hidden among the 20/25kg plates ready to fly off and smash the feet of whoever decides to put them away.

My favourite is the people who use a fixed weight barbell for a few reps, then leave it standing vertically in the middle of the free weight area like some sort of muscle totem.

The worst for me isn't even the people not unloading plates from the bars/machines, but the ones who take like 5 different sets of dumbbells & stack them around wherever they work out. Then of course they get super offended if you ask to borrow a set of them for your routine, even though they're not using them. Matter of fact the whole "I'm using that right now" bullshit when someone is taking up space & doing gently caress all except playing on their phone really makes me want to strangle people.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I've been doing a lot of core work and the pain has basically localized behind my left glute. So logically I need to do a bunch of rear end work.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I had to admit to myself that my deadlift form is Very Bad when lifting anything more than 225lbs (even then it's not great) and I can't blame physics and being much taller than average any longer. My lower back curls and I've been looking at exercises that strength the posterior chain.

Outside of the obvious, like "do deadlifts with less resistance," are there any exercises the thread could recommend? I've been using fixed barbells for good mornings and have felt the ol' DOMs pretty good.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

I had to admit to myself that my deadlift form is Very Bad when lifting anything more than 225lbs (even then it's not great) and I can't blame physics and being much taller than average any longer. My lower back curls and I've been looking at exercises that strength the posterior chain.

Outside of the obvious, like "do deadlifts with less resistance," are there any exercises the thread could recommend? I've been using fixed barbells for good mornings and have felt the ol' DOMs pretty good.

yoga and stretching

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

How much have you looked into it? Like really sat down watched those alan thrall form videos and videoed yourself doing it to check?

Like you said you don't want to just hear do more, but it's a practice thing too. How long have you been at 225? How many reps?

You can also look into sumo.

RamboMoe
Aug 12, 2005

This account was a birthday gift from my brother. I wanted an RC car. Fuck you.

Trap bar deadlifts will probably be easier to do while maintaining a static lower back. This will eventually help the barbell deadlift

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

How's the ankle mobility? Them moving better can help keep your posterior chain in a better position.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Tall guys often have tight hamstrings for whatever reason and that causes a lot of problems in the squat and deadlift. Try working on that a bit and see if it helps.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Maybe try out Romanian dead lifts for a bit.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

You should totally do kettlebell swings. Simple and Sinister is great for this.

*edit*
Kettlebell Long cycles and snatches are excellent posterior chain builders as well

bomb fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 13, 2020

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Speaking of peaking, I just finished the juggernaut 4 month program last week and went in this morning after 4 hours of sleep to test maxes and hit what I wanted on squat and immediatly decided to go for a second even deeper one and that was a huge mistake. Spent like 6 seconds stuck in the hole and then somehow good morning'd it all the way up after another 5 or so. One dude started to run over to help lol. I was in a cage and had pins set but I absolutely did not want to dump it for some reason.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

yeah stop curling your back

to do that you have to figure out how to stop curling your back

Are you shoving your rear end back enough? Stand up straight, without moving your legs, or with only a tiny amount of give in your legs you shouldn't be locked out, just slowly move your rear end "up" and back. At some point you will feel a burn/stretch. If you're anything like I was it will be almost immediate. If you have great ROM there without cheating then it's not that. But if it is that, you just need to practice that movement. Practice it at home, practice it by bracing during it with a kettlebell, do RDLs.

To avoid curling your back you can only really go two ways: back more with that movement or down more with your legs. Either one is good enough to get stronger and not hurt yourself.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 13, 2020

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Become one with your butt.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Thanks for the responses! The bit about pushing your butt down and put and feeling the burn in your glutes/hamstrings + sumo has helped, and I'm lifting 205 without any curl. Gonna sit at this resistance and add slowly - already had sciatica last summer and would rather baby myself than have another injury.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Just set a pullup pr. 4. :boom:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Fallows posted:

Speaking of peaking, I just finished the juggernaut 4 month program last week and went in this morning after 4 hours of sleep to test maxes and hit what I wanted on squat and immediatly decided to go for a second even deeper one and that was a huge mistake. Spent like 6 seconds stuck in the hole and then somehow good morning'd it all the way up after another 5 or so. One dude started to run over to help lol. I was in a cage and had pins set but I absolutely did not want to dump it for some reason.

Probably should of pushed the maxes out a day or two until you could get a full night's rest.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I've started putting chalk on the gym's crappy bench press benches for my shoulders. Wow what a game changer. Can't wait for someone to yell at me.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Just lol if you don't leave 2 to 3 layers of skin on every surface at the gym.

Including the toilet seat.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

nooneofconsequence posted:

I've started putting chalk on the gym's crappy bench press benches for my shoulders. Wow what a game changer. Can't wait for someone to yell at me.

Do yourself a favor if your gym has lovely slick benches go buy a roll of shelf liner.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I just hit a 4 plate dead lift PR. Feeling good.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

itskage posted:

I just hit a 4 plate dead lift PR. Feeling good.

Congrats! 5 plate+5lbs when?

ANGRYGREEK
May 3, 2007

If you meet the Storm Spirit on the lane, gank him.

Helios Grime posted:

Don't forget to video yourself, otherwise the lift never counts.

I am very shy about recording myself in the midst of the gym, probably because we’re talking about deadlifting 300, squatting ca 220 and maybe benching 200 pounds. I am proud of my progress, but it’s nothing to brag about.
Thanks for the tips, as always. Swole thread, best thread (to mostly lurk).

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

ANGRYGREEK posted:

I am very shy about recording myself in the midst of the gym, probably because we’re talking about deadlifting 300, squatting ca 220 and maybe benching 200 pounds. I am proud of my progress, but it’s nothing to brag about.

For what it's worth, unless you are being obnoxious about it (ex: setting up a tripod like a lovely IG influencer), no one will notice or care.

If you're working out alone, anyone with a reasonable brain will realize it's for form-check and won't even give you a second glance.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Big people lift smaller weights all the time no one judges (unless your legs are twigs and you have big arms)

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

ANGRYGREEK posted:

It's pretty useful, and not just for form reasons. You get good at analyzing your bar speed after a while, so you know when you had more in you even if it felt real hard.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Saw a guy taking up a rack for reverse curls and laughed to myself

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Finishing out the first round of the RP program this week, I really enjoyed it.

Now it's time for 12 weeks of triathalon prep so back to wrestling a heavy kettlebell for a while.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Wha- why would someone go to the gym to get stronger? The gym is for already strong people who want to rub cocoa butter on each other's stretch marks.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Sure are a lot losers here on Valentine's day...

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Forever chasing that heart pump

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Got talked into an end of the day office scotch by my boss. Still decided to gut it out and hit the gym right after work, and my stomach was none too happy with me. Glad I turned down that second glass. I absolutely would have spewed during my deadlifts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

lol if you aren't constantly vomiting after deadlifts