Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Morpheus posted:

Hahaha ohhhh man gently caress that. Swimming up to the edge of a cliff in Subnautica and staring down the dark abyss sent a chill racing up and down my spine every time, jesus. That's not even counting the descent back into the murky darkness every time I needed to swim to the surface for air.
I know, right? That experience of staring down into the abyss, carefully making your way past the edge and then OH GOD loving LEVIATHAN FROM THE DARKNESS is exactly what I was trying to evoke there. This poo poo would have me on the edge of my seat all the way through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I think an immersive sim game (a la Prey) set in a facility that's been destroyed in many areas, forcing you to walk the open ocean floor often, would be pretty freaky.

Though for me, it's not so much just being in the ocean - in fact, I find comfort in games like Subnautica with being close to the ground, regardless of how deep I am. There'd need to be an element of swimming to it, where you can be in this dark open abyss with little reference for size around you.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Haunted PS1 Demo Disc is pretty good. Neko Yume was kinda rad (I like LSD: Dream Emulator which it's based on)

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Morpheus posted:

What's the surprise? Can't find anything from googling it.

A damned effective jumpscare that unlocks a new outfit. It was one of the earlier prototypes from itch.io

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Picked up TWD: Final Season since it repopped on Steam recently for completion's sake. It feels like the development issues surrounding it shone through, with things being very heavily concentrated in a few locations, but it was nice to get some sort of closure to Clem's story. RIP Walking Dead you were a decent series alongside your friends, shame your company blew the gently caress up :rip:

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Yeah, that series never quite reached the emotional heights of Lee & Clementine's relationship in the first season but it still had its moments every now and then. I was glad to see Clem's story through to the end.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I only bothered with the first two seasons but 2 sucked so much I never bothered with the rest. Making Clem the viewpoint character and the rest of the cast adults was an awful move since they all have to act like incompetent children in order for you to have any agency at all.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I wanna point out that if we're talking about underwater stuff, there's a horror game for the Sega saturn Called 'Deep Fear'.

It's almost literally just resident evil 2 but on a budget and set in an underwater lab. With bonus portions where you walk a few areas in a suit.

Of course we all can't forget how good Soma is at this stuff as well.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Is this sea of solitude any good? Is it a horror game?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

What was the game set in an underwater lab where a terrible disaster has happened and you are possibly the sole survivor, collecting people's records as you try to get to the escape shuttle? I remember it had some good moments especially during the walk outside the lab

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The Saddest Rhino posted:

What was the game set in an underwater lab where a terrible disaster has happened and you are possibly the sole survivor, collecting people's records as you try to get to the escape shuttle? I remember it had some good moments especially during the walk outside the lab

That sort of sounds like SOMA.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
It was seaQuest DSV.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

it's neither of those, indie walking simulator type, narration dealing with PTSD, has a twist (major spoilers) E: Spoiler removed

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 14, 2020

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Narcosis?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Thanks, that's the one!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Narcosis was pretty great, I liked it a lot more than I thought I would.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Also chiming in, narcosis is good. Don't read the spoiler above it basically ruins the game.

It's a bit janky but I think it's worth a playthrough. Had some decent hallucination moments.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Ineffiable posted:

I wanna point out that if we're talking about underwater stuff, there's a horror game for the Sega saturn Called 'Deep Fear'.

It's almost literally just resident evil 2 but on a budget and set in an underwater lab. With bonus portions where you walk a few areas in a suit.
Air Grenades!

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
is it possible to fruitfully combine horror and a platformer without relying on jump scares or "whoa, you thought this was whimsical but now it's sinister" style twists

part of me feels the mobility and freedom of movement inherent to a platformer style game takes away any sense of powerlessness you'd probably need to execute proper horror, but that runs counter to my belief that you don't need to be a useless lump of a protagonist to evoke horror and I'm struggling to square the two

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Metroidvania games maybe? Metroid relies on isolation and crazy monsters, and Castlevania is about literal gothic vampires.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Limbo and Inside are the gold standards of horror platformers for me and they both have solid movement. You don't have to limit the player to make them feel helpless, you just have to introduce greater forces to threaten them. Little Nightmares does that really well, too.

Other platformers have really great moments that hint at how horror can work in the style. Hollow Knight has a few parts that are as ominous and threatening as anything I've seen in full horror games.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
limbo, inside, little nightmares

in a loud jerry seinfeld voice, and what's with all the child protagonists in horror platformers

hollow knight is basically what I've been picturing when I try to brain my way through the idea of a horror platformer, it's close but it's just missing some key spice

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007
The Swapper? Not out and out horror, more... existential I guess?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Yeah, I feel that for horror, a platformer demonstrably has a better shot at achieving an effect if it goes for full surrealism. Little Nightmares is fantastic in that way, it's distressing and unnerving and occasionally gross in a way that does a good job of building a feeling of unease. Limbo and Inside similarly use minimalist design to obfuscate otherwise goofy contrivances in the environment which helps you to ignore goofity videogame platforming in favor of the off-putting visual elements.

Eversion and the many tiny indie platformers of its ilk (ie, Burd, or Birdgut, or...An Untitled Story...why is my mind stuck on bird games?) can occasionally succeed at creating an atmosphere of unease, but it's tricky to turn toony graphics into horror without relying on really trite efforts to squick the audience via gore or body horror or references to sexual violence, and without just relying on jumpscares, so not many real horror success stories in that genre, I think. I'm sure there's exceptions though. Axiom Verge might kinda count, but it's mostly just a game with very surreal imagery.

It's annoying me slightly that I'm sure I've played tons of halfway interesting small, free games that would be worth mentioning here at least for academic discussion's sake, and yet I can't remember a single one of them at the moment.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Xenomrph posted:

Metroidvania games maybe? Metroid relies on isolation and crazy monsters, and Castlevania is about literal gothic vampires.
That doesn't really make them horror, though.

And honestly, no, I don't think they combine very well. That kind of super-active climbing and jumping based gameplay coupled with the high degree of abstraction that being a 2D sidescroller entails just makes it ineffective as a horror. Horror as a genre depends too heavily on atmosphere and presentation - there's a reason why so many horror games are made in first person, it just works better when they are.

There are ways to make them tense and even scary at times, of course, but in my experience that kind of thing tends to hinge more on adrenaline (like forced chase scenes) than on anything. It's just not the same thing.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Deadlight, although it's a princeofpersialike, so 'freedom and good controls' is the last thing that comes to mind.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Was Abuse horror?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q0SbdDfnFI

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Metroid Fusion is legitimately creepy in spots, probably the best example I can think of. And not just because of the SA-X but also the whole Nightmare sequence.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Dying Light has a lot of parkour and is tense and scary until you unlock enough abilities to turn it into a farcical zombie-wrasslin’ simulator.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

Metroid Fusion is legitimately creepy in spots, probably the best example I can think of. And not just because of the SA-X but also the whole Nightmare sequence.

Came to post this, the environmental story telling does an amazing job (which the game could have done with more with).

I'm still holding out hope for Ghost Song :(

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Rain World can be a pretty effective horror game. It has a world made up of big, interconnected zones like a metroidvania but doesn't really hand out powerups like those games usually do. Some very unsettling many-legged creatures in that game.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
I know there was a side-scrolling indie called Tamashii that came out lately that got some good reviews - lots of Giger-inspired aliens and body imagery. Haven't played it myself yet though.

Here's the trailer: https://youtu.be/fJqBk32CENM

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Speaking of giger body horror and poo poo, is Scorn ever coming out?

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

SkeletonHero posted:

Dying Light has a lot of parkour and is tense and scary until you unlock enough abilities to turn it into a farcical zombie-wrasslin’ simulator.

As soon as you unlock the abilities to just shove zombies aside violently the game becomes not scary and in fact very funny.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

Speaking of giger body horror and poo poo, is Scorn ever coming out?

I haven’t heard any news from it. Getting Routine vibes.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Let's see. Twitter hasn't updated since 2018 (fake edit: no, it updated yesterday, but only in a reply to someone), Kickstarter since August 2019... Apparently someone's still working on it, but hoo boy. :v:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Hakkesshu posted:

The end of the Crocomire fight in Super Metroid was legit terrifying playing as a kid in the dark while staying up too late.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

FirstAidKite posted:

Hell yeah. Like, basically I'm imagining something like the Demon's Souls Shrine of Storms with all of the flying stingrays and skeletons but with a more blatant underwater aesthetic, or like Dark Souls 2's No Man's Wharf but like...bigger and more indepth and more akin to the concept art for that area (the Fishing Hamlet from Bloodborne really knocked this out of the park, especially with stuff like you being "under" it for a good bit of that DLC and finding things like people talking about being able to hear the water or one of the Fishing Hamlet enemies falling and landing in the underwater dry areas below it)

I mean underwater, but don't give much in the way of 3D movement, you're too tethered to go swimming anyway. Something akin to being equipped with a diving suit and having to make your way through. Just have it be like... a magic suit that doesn't *need* an air source and also you can still walk around normally, no "I'm underwater so now I'm sluggish and can't go fast," just mostly an aesthetic theme to keep to.

Some pics that scratch that particular itch:

Those are some good ideas

Lunatic Sledge posted:

is it possible to fruitfully combine horror and a platformer without relying on jump scares or "whoa, you thought this was whimsical but now it's sinister" style twists

part of me feels the mobility and freedom of movement inherent to a platformer style game takes away any sense of powerlessness you'd probably need to execute proper horror, but that runs counter to my belief that you don't need to be a useless lump of a protagonist to evoke horror and I'm struggling to square the two

I mean Bloodborne is a game where you can kill 99% of the spooky things you can encounter but it still manages to be very spooky overall, I imagine it's quite possible to convey the same thing in basically any genre of game if handled properly

Cardiovorax posted:

That doesn't really make them horror, though.

And honestly, no, I don't think they combine very well. That kind of super-active climbing and jumping based gameplay coupled with the high degree of abstraction that being a 2D sidescroller entails just makes it ineffective as a horror. Horror as a genre depends too heavily on atmosphere and presentation - there's a reason why so many horror games are made in first person, it just works better when they are.

There are ways to make them tense and even scary at times, of course, but in my experience that kind of thing tends to hinge more on adrenaline (like forced chase scenes) than on anything. It's just not the same thing.

You obviously never played through the SA-X segments of Metroid Fusion, cause those were loving terrifying

I'd say yeah

Also started playing Doki Doki Literature Club tonight and while I'm nowhere near done with it, it's honestly spooked me more than almost anything in a good long while

especially once I noticed the stuff it does outside of the game...

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Bloodborne is scarier than 99% of the horror games where you have to run and/or hide away.

The monsters are still creepy as hell in their designs and movements even if you can (theoretically) wipe the floor with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

You obviously never played through the SA-X segments of Metroid Fusion, cause those were loving terrifying
I have, but I was also in my twenties. I guess I would've thought it was scarier as a kid.