Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So that's Crafted World.

Wooly World is more intuitive with its collecting?

Woolly World is literally Yoshi's Island collectibles + 5 yarn pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So that's Crafted World.

Wooly World is more intuitive with its collecting?

Shadow's comment could apply to either, actually. Both have collectibles that aren't immediately visible and you have to know where to look to find, and neither let you track the order of red coins, just how many you've found.

But yes, WW is way more intuitive. It does a fairly decent job of communicating where things might be hidden, once you get a feel for the tricks it uses to hide things. The real big deal is that in WW it is theoretically possible to get every collectible on one run through a level. In CW, that is fundamentally impossible - you have to go through a level several different times, including backwards, in order to get everything. (edit: And CW has a lot of "find this one cardboard cutout of a bear buried in the background of this level, while playing through it backwards" collectibles.) It kinda sucks.

fake edit:

Regy Rusty posted:

Woolly World is literally Yoshi's Island collectibles + 5 yarn pieces.

and the 5 yarn pieces do show you the order you got them in, just like the flower pieces.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

also idk about if the ds/3ds games ever did this and don't particularly care, but unlike OG Yoshi's Island collectibles stay collected, you don't have to re-collect stuff in a stage if you already got them in a prior run.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Phantasium posted:

Wooly World has a ton of good music, thankfully.

New has a ton of fart babby mouth music and one extremely good track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhVBeODHZJ4

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

All this Yoshi talk is pushing me in that direction... But I may be better served by going with Kirby and just replaying Yoshi's Island again.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I mean your original question has no losers in it, they're all fantastic games.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Phantasium posted:

I mean your original question has no losers in it, they're all fantastic games.

Yes, the real answer is to play all 3.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Hmm. Feel like I missed something important by not doing the side quest in Chapter 4 of Bravely Default. I figured I could come back to it later, but passed a point of no return.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
This is probably a dumb question but is Earthbound worth playing? I got a 30% off discount from the coin program thing. I know Earthbound has inspired a ton of games, including Lisa the Painful, a game I really liked.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

OhFunny posted:

Hmm. Feel like I missed something important by not doing the side quest in Chapter 4 of Bravely Default. I figured I could come back to it later, but passed a point of no return.

It’s been awhile but I’m fairly sure the only thing you can actually perma-miss is “some dialogue”, you should be able to re-access quests that have tangible rewards at a later point

(there’s also new game + when all is said and done, and with random encounters turned off you can literally sprint to anything you feel you missed for real)

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Ryuga Death posted:

This is probably a dumb question but is Earthbound worth playing? I got a 30% off discount from the coin program thing. I know Earthbound has inspired a ton of games, including Lisa the Painful, a game I really liked.

It's worth trying at least.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

OhFunny posted:

If you're talking about the sidequest to get into the castle in Eternia, you can do that in Chapter 5, and you'll get the same reward as you would have if you'd done it in Chapter 4.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ryuga Death posted:

I have it on good authority that that game stinks

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Regy Rusty posted:

I have it on good authority that that game stinks

OoooOOOOooh; look at Mr Fancy-Pants who still has the collector's edition book :argh:.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Ryuga Death posted:

Maybe. It depends on your tolerance for busted old school mechanics. It has a lot of combat. Maybe watch the AVGN video on it and see what you think. He does a good job of going over the good and bad.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

If you're talking about the sidequest to get into the castle in Eternia, you can do that in Chapter 5, and you'll get the same reward as you would have if you'd done it in Chapter 4.

Is everything there the same? Dialogue with the first boss is different.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

...I don't know. I did the sidequest in Ch. 5, too. I think if you didn't do it in Ch. 4, everything's the same when you do it in Ch. 5, though.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Earthbound is good. It's biggest crime is the inventory management. Don't be afraid to look things up.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Never played Earthbound as a kid, tried to pick it up twice in the last few years and gave up last time somewhere on the way to Threed. Inventory management is a dated pain in the butt, and the game was more difficult and involved more grinding than I expected. But I thought it was charming as all get out, I can see why it’s so beloved and influential. It’s definitely worth checking out, I’d like to go back and finish it or play Mother 3 someday when I’ve got more free time and patience.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Ryuga Death posted:

It's really really good but you have to have some tolerance for a little bit of grinding. I could see it being very annoying if it doesn't get its hooks in you mood-wise.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Blotto_Otter posted:

Never played Earthbound as a kid, tried to pick it up twice in the last few years and gave up last time somewhere on the way to Threed. Inventory management is a dated pain in the butt, and the game was more difficult and involved more grinding than I expected. But I thought it was charming as all get out, I can see why it’s so beloved and influential. It’s definitely worth checking out, I’d like to go back and finish it or play Mother 3 someday when I’ve got more free time and patience.

I first played it when it came to Wii U, and I'd agree with these issues, but the game really clicked for me in Fourside, both in gameplay and humor. From then on out it felt like a breeze. Each party member you get makes the game much easier, and helps with the inventory issues. Hopefully you do eventually try again. :)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Earthbound and Mother 3 are absolutely worth playing. Only the early game in EB is a bit grindy imo. I’ve played modern RPGs that I’ve found to be much worse in that regard.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Threed drags. Once you get past that (and before it, aside from maybe the Frank fight) the game is smooth sailing and a wonderful little thing. The gameplay is just dragon warrior, but nobody comes for the gameplay.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’d say it’s more than that. The rolling counter is interesting and makes for some exciting fights.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeeeaaaah, but in practice it comes up pretty much only when you're fighting the exploding enemies and the last 10% of the game when you have enough health to ignore mortal blows.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Star Fox 3D was a shorter game than I was expecting. Even when playing the different routes to get the different endings. Still very happy to have beaten it. Baby OhFunny never got passed the asteriod level on the N64.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Buy 2 get 2 on all used 3DS games at GameStop. $10-15 a pop (depending on what you buy) ain't a bad price if you're looking for 4 3DS games. Some other old systems too.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ItBreathes posted:

Buy 2 get 2 on all used 3DS games at GameStop. $10-15 a pop (depending on what you buy) ain't a bad price if you're looking for 4 3DS games. Some other old systems too.

Except in the case of EO the new price is cheaper lmao.

Also drat good luck finding 4 games online or in any store. Most I could find was 2 that I wanted.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah, I only get 3DS games if i can get them CIB and that's pretty tough at GameStop these days.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

They didn't even have the original case, which is kind of a bummer, if not unexpected. But as someone who got a 3DS last year there are still tons of games to pick up. It's kind of wild comparing it to the WiiU where there are straight no games that I don't either have or would just get for Switch if I ever wanted them. Puts it into perspective just how hard it bombed.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

There's a free trial going on for dumping your Pokemon in the bank from the 3DS/DS games.

Oh, is there a common list of inputs for resetting saves for DS games without a "nuke saves" option?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I wish we would get just a few more 3ds exclusives.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The 3DS dream is dead.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The 3DS backlog is real

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race