Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

your opinions on VR are pretty misplaced but you’re ultimately right that there are a number of things that will make it tough to live in a VR headset

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

simply give me a virtual phone to look at

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Lambert posted:

Except people want to surf the net while watching a movie. Who gives their full attention to the latest Hollywood dross. There's a reason cinema attendance has been falling for a long time now.

weirdly i found that after getting a headset that i reverted back to actually watching just a movie; the simulated 'empty theater' setting made it way easier to concentrate and enjoy it, which wasn't exactly something i was expecting

but yeah, i definitely spend a fair bit of off-time in vr, though i have yet to really invest any time in fallout 4 or skyrim vr (it feels like not everything supports the knuckle controllers seamlessly yet, but i'm hoping it's just a matter of time before valve makes the translation feel natural)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

https://www.vrfocus.com/2014/09/oculus-cinema-gear-vr-gets-first-screenshots/ this is basically all i expect movie vr to ever be

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

bigscreen is doing this, and i really like that it's free if you just want to use it as a big virtual desktop thing- there are social elements if you want them, plus they screen 'real' movies regularly

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
can’t wait to interface with hot hacker babes in vrspace

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
vr is hella good for flight sims

pram
Jun 10, 2001
vr is dumb as poo poo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
off time in vr? you mean, your spare time? or time in vr that isn’t gaming

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
elite dangerous in vr owns bones

except when you want to tab out to figure out where to go next because the in-game tools suck

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

echinopsis posted:

off time in vr? you mean, your spare time? or time in vr that isn’t gaming

oh yeah, just spare time, my phrasing is weird

Jabor posted:

and hell yeah, i'm just now getting into it and realizing that i need a HOTAS control setup instead of my dinky keyboard + mouse

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

space truckin in VR in ED is awesome and the most fun you can have sitting down unloading biowaste

also to keep it AMD related my first VR rig was a FX-8350 and a 1050ti and it barely ran VR but I made it work in elite dangerous with my Walmart VR headset

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it was elite dangerous that created my fear, some dude said he did an 8 hour trip in game in vr and was enthralled the whole time and that’s what made me fear generations of people spending their whole spare life in vr

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
life is yours to do with what you wish. see you in the cyber realm

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Jabor posted:

except when you want to tab out to figure out where to go next because the in-game tools suck

elite dangerous (vr or otherwise) owns until you realize that to do anything you need to first spend at least 15 minutes jumping from star to star

turns out that space is big, empty and boring

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Gonna Send It posted:

I work for ASML, what do you want to know (not behind an NDA)?

is amd good now

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

psiox posted:

bigscreen is doing this, and i really like that it's free if you just want to use it as a big virtual desktop thing- there are social elements if you want them, plus they screen 'real' movies regularly

yeah BigScreen movies are fun, even if my original Vive screendoor is a bit intrusive - when Index sets come back in stock I might treat myself. BS even supports playback of 3D movie files, and watching them on your vr hat you don't get any dimming or flickering you might get with watching it with the usual shutter shades on your tv / at the cinema.

I will do a BS private room if anyone feels like trying out the social aspect, I think I have enough upstream at home for two or three visitors.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

poty posted:

is amd good now

It's good for me since TSMC keeps buying scanners

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Zlodo posted:

turns out that space is big, empty and boring

this is in fact the terrible secret of space

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
probably quite chilly too

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

NoneMoreNegative posted:

yeah BigScreen movies are fun, even if my original Vive screendoor is a bit intrusive - when Index sets come back in stock I might treat myself. BS even supports playback of 3D movie files, and watching them on your vr hat you don't get any dimming or flickering you might get with watching it with the usual shutter shades on your tv / at the cinema.

I will do a BS private room if anyone feels like trying out the social aspect, I think I have enough upstream at home for two or three visitors.

are you talking about 2 or 3 people in vr helmets on a server and the vr experience is “in a cinema” and there are a few people hanging out in this virtual cinema?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

echinopsis posted:

are you talking about 2 or 3 people in vr helmets on a server and the vr experience is “in a cinema” and there are a few people hanging out in this virtual cinema?

that exactly; there are a few different environments - a big cinema, a small lounge, a meeting room and a few more - and your custom avatar appears and can move around the scene, voice chat to others, throw tomatoes at the screen etc. You can go into public screenings of films hosted by the BigScreen people or put up a passworded private room. The fact I can just throw the PLEX app on my desktop and have it appear useable in VR to pick out and watch stuff from my media server is really fun.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
I'd definitely do a bigscreen party sometime, finally got my copy of Freejack in the mail so I can contribute exactly that

okay, elite: dangerousheads, is there an actual good HOTAS setup to use? i want to go pew pew some aliens

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
VR:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

psiox posted:

I'd definitely do a bigscreen party sometime, finally got my copy of Freejack in the mail so I can contribute exactly that

okay, elite: dangerousheads, is there an actual good HOTAS setup to use? i want to go pew pew some aliens

HOTAS controller like anything else range from cheap entry level to wildly overkill and expensive

i have the thrustmaster HOTAS 4, I got it for like $40.

from the flight sim megathread:

quote:

Joystick Hierarchy:

Thrustmaster Warthog: Very expensive ($400-500). Requires Pedals for yaw (+$50-100). Will last forever. Every button. Well made. Profile software designed by Satan.

CH Products Fighterstick Pro and Throttle: Expensive ($230ish together). Very solidly built, could knock down a house with them. Throttle is linear glide which some ppl love some ppl hate.

Saitech X-55: Expensive ($200). Great all around features. Iffy track record on durability. Plenty of buttons. Tech support terrible.

Saitech X-52 Pro: Mid-range ($150). Good features. Good track record on durability recently; bad at launch. Enough buttons. Black. Tech support terrible.

Saitech X-52: Mid-Range ($120). Good features. Good track record on durability recently; bad at launch. Has some plastic in places the Pro has metal. Enough buttons. Looks like a toy. Tech support terrible.

Thrustmaster 16000M: Cheap ($50). OK features, base is nice and heavy. Good durability. You will need to keyboard a lot of button commands.

Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS: Cheap ($40). Cheapest "hotas" and a good way to see if you'll like HOTAS. Not enough hats or buttons, so not equivalent to the above ones.

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro: Cheap ($30). OK features. Good durability.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Gonna Send It posted:

I work for ASML, what do you want to know (not behind an NDA)?

umm mainly im curious because of how vague any reporting about some fab working on a new node inevitably involves receiving machines from asml

but then they get the machine and are stuck on making a process actually work and to me, an idiot, that bit always seems weirdo???

i assume the asml machines must be working as designed but the rest of the mess is the stuff of textbooks but yeah

i dunno

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

NoneMoreNegative posted:

imma never gonna fault your appreciation for a social movie watching experience because that seems like a fun thing to do in this modern atomized world

if i had a vr headset i'd absolutely take you up on it

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
yospos movie night. I’m the one with the avatar of Steve ballmer in his underwear.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

sucks to your asml

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m down to watch a movie in big screen with goons, we should also play Pokerstars!

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

The Management posted:

yospos movie night. I’m the one with the avatar of Steve ballmer in his underwear.

im the avatar of steve ballmer's underwear

e: despite my av i do not have any vr equipment i am sorry

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

NoneMoreNegative posted:

that exactly; there are a few different environments - a big cinema, a small lounge, a meeting room and a few more - and your custom avatar appears and can move around the scene, voice chat to others, throw tomatoes at the screen etc. You can go into public screenings of films hosted by the BigScreen people or put up a passworded private room. The fact I can just throw the PLEX app on my desktop and have it appear useable in VR to pick out and watch stuff from my media server is really fun.

holy poo poo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Management posted:

yep and can’t wait to hear what all the yosposters sounds like in real life

sports
Sep 1, 2012
My SOs letting me try ASML

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

echinopsis posted:

yep and can’t wait to hear what all the yosposters sounds like in real life

i can't imagine why anyone would do this without an effects board in the chain

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

echinopsis posted:

i have this irrational fear we will have generations who finish work at 5 on friday, jack into their VR at 7pm and stay that way until 10:30 sunday night

Oh, I'll be Jackin', alright.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

echinopsis posted:

holy poo poo

I didn't know BigScreen was available on Quest, that massively opens up the number of folks who can access it (though I'm not sure how making a custom room would work for a standalone headset)

this guy goes over the basics of the new 'live cinema' aspect, and there's a few in-headset shots of what the experience is like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA2cW2qgGgs

I never noticed the dynamic lighting of the vr auditoriums from the colours on the movie screen before, that's a cool detail.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Joystick Hierarchy:
[...]
Saitech X-55: Expensive ($200). Great all around features. Iffy track record on durability. Plenty of buttons. Tech support terrible.

fyi Saitek X-55 is now the Logitech X-56, and they have improved the engineering quality significantly since the X-55. Source: I've had 3 of these things with their various model numbers

burning swine
May 26, 2004

friday night motherfuckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

burning swine posted:

friday night motherfuckers

welcome to shaggarville, powered by windows mixed reality!