Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Books On Tape posted:

I went on Amazon and bought a 25 pound bucket of pinto beans, a 25 pound bucket of rice, a 50 gallon rainwater collection barrel that I could fill with a hose. Based on a previous recommendation, bought the 80 gallon BOB that could be placed in the tub, and a propane cooking stove. I’ll buy a propane tank next time I’m near Home Depot. Have about 25 pounds of flour I use to make pasta with, and enough canned veggies and other pantry items that my family wouldn’t have to leave the house if necessary for at least 6-8 weeks if properly rationed, even if utilities were out.

I’m not going to go more overboard than that. Cost about $200 for all of the stuff I just bought, and if it proves to be unnecessary, I can water the lawn with the water, use the beans and rice over time, and have a portable stove (can also use butane) for camping.

Feel better that family could hunker down in the unlikely event, and that I don’t have to go panic buying anything even if things become evidently serious.

Couple weeks ago, I also dropped $170 stocking up on general medical supplies: Masks, warm mister, decongestants, and vapor products to keep lungs clear.

Edit: I also live in Texas, and spring isn’t too far off. When at Home Depot, I’ll also invest in seeds. Have a nice garden in the backyard that currently isn’t planted. Would be a good idea to change that this season. Will grow lots of green beans and peas and other veggies that could go well with rice and beans.

One way to save money while getting your protein input in Texas is to feed on the bat colonies of Hill Country. Get a cabin there and you'll just need to visit the civilization when you come into town to buy salt and other supplies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

VikingSkull posted:

im painting warhammer 40k planes

Release your burdens and let papa nurgle take the load

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
https://twitter.com/mithaldu/status/1227758193964654592

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow

Mithaldu posted:

Actually what do you base that answer on?

Both the infected and the deaths counts counts increased by over 2x on the same day. There is no reason for the deaths to increase that much given previous behavior, unless:

- they were generally under-reporting and resynchronized
or
- cases previously not considered diagnosed, but already dead, were now considered diagnosed and added to the death count retroactively

In both cases 100 of those new deaths wouldn't be actually new since yesterday, but only added retroactively.
There's nothing to suggest it was retroactively done (that would be a substantially higher spike)

They're all new deaths that include people that until today wouldn't have been reported as COVID-19 because there were no confirmed tests. The deaths would have just been mystery pneumonia or other categories

They can now, going forward, count these likely deaths without a positive test

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Mithaldu posted:

Actually what do you base that answer on?

Both the infected and the deaths counts counts increased by over 2x on the same day. There is no reason for the deaths to increase that much given previous behavior, unless:

- they were generally under-reporting and resynchronized
or
- cases previously not considered diagnosed, but already dead, were now considered diagnosed and added to the death count retroactively

In both cases 100 of those new deaths wouldn't be actually new since yesterday, but only added retroactively.

if there were ~100 people who were positively tested that died and ~100 people who were diagnosed but not tested that died that would explain it, no?

i can't find the source for this that includes the death numbers though

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Rat posted:

They're all new deaths that include people that until today wouldn't have been reported as COVID-19 because there were no confirmed tests. The deaths would have just been mystery pneumonia or other categories

They can now, going forward, count these likely deaths without a positive test
So option 2 i described.

Mozi posted:

if there were ~100 people who were positively tested that died and ~100 people who were diagnosed but not tested that died that would explain it, no?

i can't find the source for this that includes the death numbers though
Yeah, me neither, but alright, no info to dissuade from agreeing with the assumption about the "mystery deaths" being diagnosed, but untested; instead of yesterday actually having had 240 new deaths.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

wait, so they were burning bodies??

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow

Mithaldu posted:

So option 2 i described.
Yeah, me neither, but alright, no info to dissuade from agreeing with the assumption about the "mystery deaths" being diagnosed, but untested; instead of yesterday actually having had 240 new deaths.

Without anything retroactively done

A lot more people are dying at home than can be tested. Today might be the first half accurate number for it. There are hundreds or thousands of other people who died in the last few months that will not be counted. That's the death number for today

Functionally the first day where people dying at home count. 60% of crematorium traffic comes from homes

Rat fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 13, 2020

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
If you get into this like I morbidly have the cspam thread has a lot more detail and links

Just an fyi friendly service message

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3912152

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Screenshotted 1 hour apart:

I posted these on my twitter and was immediately retweeted by a bunch of MAGA KAG bots with like 80 followers apiece.

I don't even know what KAG is

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I don't even know what KAG is

Keep America Great

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Spinz posted:

If you get into this like I morbidly have the cspam thread has a lot more detail and links
isn't cspam for poo poo-posting worse than gbs?

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 13, 2020

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Sinteres posted:

Keep America Great

Ah. Nevertheless I figured that I was verging on being political online and deleted it.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ah. Nevertheless I figured that I was verging on being political online and deleted it.

This thread (and many others) will inherently have political undertones, my position is just don’t start poo poo for that reason or get into long slapfights about politics. We can tell the difference, it’s not hard.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
DID YOU KNOW that Pangolins are the most-trafficked non-human mammal? According to National Geographic tens of thousands of pangolins are poached every year, killed for their scales for use in traditional Chinese medicine for treating ailments ranging from lactation difficulties to arthritis. And for their meat, a delicacy among some ultra-wealthy in China and Vietnam.

They are the only animal covered head to toe in keratin scales which are somewhat like gigantic fingernails. Though they look and act a lot like anteaters and armadillos, they're actually more closely related to bears, cats and dogs.

THE MORE YOU KNOW *rainbow star*

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Rat posted:

Without anything retroactively done

A lot more people are dying at home than can be tested. Today might be the first half accurate number for it. There are hundreds or thousands of other people who died in the last few months that will not be counted. That's the death number for today

Functionally the first day where people dying at home count. 60% of crematorium traffic comes from homes
I don't believe it, but we'll see.

Edit: I realized that it is possible that if they were doing retroactive work that it may not be complete yet. So a more accurate question is:

I expect that the death increases in the following days will end up dropping down again over time, maybe even immediately if they actually did all the retroactive work today, resulting in the deaths delta either being around 100-150 tomorrow or approaching the curve indicated from past days over time.

You expect that starting tomorrow the deaths delta will have a new baseline at 240 and start increasing from there, correct?

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Spinz posted:

Just an fyi friendly service message

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3912152

Thanks for this.

Boy can’t wait to start working in Malaysia end of the month.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Burt Sexual posted:

This thread (and many others) will inherently have political undertones, my position is just don’t start poo poo for that reason or get into long slapfights about politics. We can tell the difference, it’s not hard.

Btw what song do you want played at your wake?

Play posted:

DID YOU KNOW that Pangolins are the most-trafficked non-human mammal? According to National Geographic tens of thousands of pangolins are poached every year, killed for their scales for use in traditional Chinese medicine for treating ailments ranging from lactation difficulties to arthritis. And for their meat, a delicacy among some ultra-wealthy in China and Vietnam.

They are the only animal covered head to toe in keratin scales which are somewhat like gigantic fingernails. Though they look and act a lot like anteaters and armadillos, they're actually more closely related to bears, cats and dogs.

THE MORE YOU KNOW *rainbow star*

loving :lmao:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Mithaldu posted:

Edit: I realized that it is possible that if they were doing retroactive work that it may not be complete yet. So a more accurate question is:

I expect that the death increases in the following days will end up dropping down again over time, maybe even immediately if they actually did all the retroactive work today, resulting in the deaths delta either being around 100-150 tomorrow or approaching the curve indicated from past days over time.

You expect that starting tomorrow the deaths delta will have a new baseline at 240 and start increasing from there, correct?

It's not cumulative. Yesterday's new cases should have been 6500

https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1227748006105055232

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

It's not cumulative. Yesterday's new cases should have been 6500

https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1227748006105055232

It should've been 6500 new cases yesterday if they had applied the new rule yesterday, and if they had applied it the day before yesterday it would've been like 4k cases yesterday and 3500 the day before that, etc. etc.

BNO is assuming retro-activity, and Rat is for some reason not.

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow

Mithaldu posted:

Yes I expect it will be working from the baseline of 240. Not down around 100 like the previous day. Since nothing had been mentioned about retroactively counting cases (aside from you) and that would make the numbers look good... not anticipating that announcement retroactively

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Mithaldu posted:

isn't cspam for poo poo-posting worse than gbs?

No. Nothing is more poo poo posting than gbs

All we DO is poo poo post here

Welcome

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow

Mithaldu posted:

It should've been 6500 new cases yesterday if they had applied the new rule yesterday, and if they had applied it the day before yesterday it would've been like 4k cases yesterday and 3500 the day before that, etc. etc.

BNO is assuming retro-activity, and Rat is for some reason not.
The new criteria was not applied to old figures to arrive at the current daily numbers. They suggest that if the current criteria were applied to previous days there would be substantially more cases

They do not suggest the 14k+ is including previously missed figures. How they have to report for Wednesday going forward has changed

Truly what's confusing

Rat fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 13, 2020

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Rat posted:

Yes I expect it will be working from the baseline of 240. Not down around 100 like the previous day. Since nothing had been mentioned about retroactively counting cases (aside from you) and that would make the numbers look good... not anticipating that announcement retroactively

There's a very simple reason i'm assuming that: If you're right about this past day literally having had 240 fresh corpses and each new day after that will have an increasing number of fresh corpses higher than that, then there are at least 1000 corpses currently missing from the totals that everyone is reporting. More scarily, the same logic must apply to the infections, so there would be at least 50000 infections missing from the current totals.

And it seems you're suggesting those will never be counted.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
yep! but really that much was already assumed by many

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Yes, i know quite a few people believe this. Here's why i don't:

If it's true then it is completely and utterly batshit insane from every possible angle and the situation is already completely out of control and we're all dead.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Mithaldu posted:

Yes, i know quite a few people believe this. Here's why i don't:

If it's true then it is completely and utterly batshit insane from every possible angle and the situation is already completely out of control and we're all dead.

it's true, it's all true

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
i don't feel as if that's such an extreme number considering the size of the city and the fact that it's a full-blown epidemic there. very probably still an undercount

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow

Mithaldu posted:

There's a very simple reason i'm assuming that: If you're right about this past day literally having had 240 fresh corpses and each new day after that will have an increasing number of fresh corpses higher than that, then there are at least 1000 corpses currently missing from the totals that everyone is reporting. More scarily, the same logic must apply to the infections, so there would be at least 50000 infections missing from the current totals.
You don't think that's the case? I think 50,000 is a low estimate.

The figures for this pandemic are going to come with a great deal of asterisks

I would like to not be right about this

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I hear it's infected a gorillion people and zillions are dead.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Rat posted:

You don't think that's the case? I think 50,000 is a low estimate.

The figures for this pandemic are going to come with a great deal of asterisks

I think there is a possibility that 50k are *unintentionally* underreported. Totally possible. High R0, limited resources in Wuhan, people scared, etc.

I don't think they'd knowingly and intentionally keep the 50k out of the numbers.

But i guess we'll see. :)

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

The goddamn bug whacked us, Johnny

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Rat posted:

This was pointed out to me and it is quite hopeful imo.

quote:

Of the 14,840 cases added, 13,332 are due to the new classification while 1,508 are new cases.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Mithaldu posted:

I don't think they'd knowingly and intentionally keep the 50k out of the numbers.

What makes you think this is beyond the CCP?
I'm genuinely asking.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Bronze Fonz posted:

What makes you think this is beyond the CCP?
I'm genuinely asking.

There's 2 options.

Either the people doing the work are largely well-motivated and trying to do the right thing.

Or they're allowing an entire city's worth of people to disappear through the cracks, while knowing they're doing so, which would mean they are not having resources allocated nor manpower and that Hubei is intentionally underserved, for no profit whatsoever as they already admitted to having 50k sick. And if that's the case then the decision making process is literally batshit insane and entirely broken and completely out of control. And if i'm wrong and that is the case, then i don't really care and the forum has a good reason to also go batshit insane, so i choose to believe option A, if only because the chinese probably wanna live too.

If you know you have 100k sick and you tell your government you need stuff and people for 50k sick, then you're committing suicide.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Update from China: people are so bored staying cooped up in their apartments they're playing the "broom game" and sharing pics on Wechat. The hot new fashion is apparently seeing if you can get your broom stay up perfectly upright. I feel like people are freaking out more about coronavirus outside of China than inside, we're just here bored out of our minds.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

#1, look up the size of these cities in china. 100k people is not an overly large fraction

#2, even with the previously known cases there were already shortages of resources. i'm sure they've been asking for as much as they can possibly get

and in any case even with 100k infected the large majority will survive so it's not like they're all being 'disappeared'

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Giggle

Sorry but this is hilarious
The CSpam Wuhan Flu thread I linked earlier today saying hey its good and has more detail etc.?

Now it's completely derailed into a slapfight with someone accusing a poster of being Guyovich a permad ex mod and admin iirc

Smh lol

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Mozi posted:

#1, look up the size of these cities in china. 100k people is not an overly large fraction

#2, even with the previously known cases there were already shortages of resources. i'm sure they've been asking for as much as they can possibly get

#1 I already know the numbers. Wuhan is 7 mio people. It's about as big as Berlin. Berlin would struggle hard with 50k people suddenly sick.

#2 Ok, i can think of one reason to lie now: Maybe china would just plain drop a nuke on Wuhan if the city gets out of control. That would be good motivation. Which i'm now rooting for, because:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Spinz posted:

Giggle

Sorry but this is hilarious
The CSpam Wuhan Flu thread I linked earlier today saying hey its good and has more detail etc.?

Now it's completely derailed into a slapfight with someone accusing a poster of being Guyovich a permad ex mod and admin iirc

Smh lol

CSPAM is a land of contrasts