Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

NikkolasKing posted:

And Kane never got revenge for X-Pac stealing Tori, right? Trips steals Steph and she turns heel and X-Pac steals Tori and she turns heel. And both Test and Kane are left looking like total losers.

Kane survived 'cuz he's Kane. Big Show, too. Pretty sure he loses the WWF Title in ignoble fashion and is just forgotten but he obviously stays as a fixture of WWE. And then Test is just left by the wayside to kinda do okay in the midcard for a few years.

I remember liking the McMahon Helmsley era when I was younger. I was dumb.

To be fair, Big Show might have been the most transitional of transitional champions of all time. Triple H vs Vince was absolutely the biggest storyline during his reign, which is mostly notable for Really Evil Big Boss Man getting a world title shot in 1999 by besmirching the name of Big Show's Big Dead Daddy. Austin and Undertaker were out, and Rock and Foley were busy with the New Age Outlaws and... Al Snow!? What a weird time.

I think Kane beat X-Pac a couple of times on PPV but it was never, like, a big deal where he gave him and Tori their comeuppance. I remember more about him beating up Pete Rose at Wrestlemania than X-Pac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hedgehog Pie posted:

To be fair, Big Show might have been the most transitional of transitional champions of all time. Triple H vs Vince was absolutely the biggest storyline during his reign, which is mostly notable for Really Evil Big Boss Man getting a world title shot in 1999 by besmirching the name of Big Show's Big Dead Daddy. Austin and Undertaker were out, and Rock and Foley were busy with the New Age Outlaws and... Al Snow!? What a weird time.

I think Kane beat X-Pac a couple of times on PPV but it was never, like, a big deal where he gave him and Tori their comeuppance. I remember more about him beating up Pete Rose at Wrestlemania than X-Pac.

Bossman was so great in that feud :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9LdKw2GzJs

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Ham it up with your hay and your codpiece,
Ham it up with your hay and your codpiece,
Mama lama dad, with your lugs on fire,
Babba dap dap dabba dabba do!

Pretty sure it's "Hangin' out with the ham and the cochise"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

DeathChicken posted:

Jericho burned his hand on a toothpick
Jericho burned his hand on a toothpick
Look at Kevin Nash man he looks so wild wild

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
What are everyone else's favourite gibberish wrestling songs? I liked the original Smackdown intro song:

IKKA T,
BOOK A TIE,
KEY BAD AND SNAKE!

And of course, who could forget the Attitude Era Raw intro:

It's the like, with the back,
And Jordan's feet,
Take a saw in my arms,
With the soul of Vince,
But you aren't passing with my lame-brain spear!
(guitar)
Goddamn cracked the crawl,
If you hide!

Though as kids we used to sing the ending as "I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO, BUT EAT MY BIKE!"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
RAW IS WAR'S A THORN
IN YOUR EYE

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

RAW IS WAR'S A THORN
IN YOUR EYE

Just reading this, I automatically hear the guitar riff and pyro going off.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gavok posted:

Just reading this, I automatically hear the guitar riff and pyro going off.

:same:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Slam Jam (2)

Profile:
New York City, september 18/19. 1995 - Manhattan's Electric Lady Studios witness the added power of some of the biggest talent in rock. Combine five players from some of the most important U.S. metal and underground rock acts with two rappers from german crossover kings Such A Surge and you got the the Super-All-Star-Project group Slam Jam.

Members:
Gary Meskil, Jon Oliva, Kenny Hickey, Michel Begeame, Oliver Schneider, Scott Rosenfeld, Tim Mallare

Singles & EPs:
Slam Jam (2) - Full Metal (The Single)
The World Wrestling Federation Superstars* & Slam Jam (2) - Full Metal (The Single) ‎(CD, Single) Concrete (2) 0086365 CTR 1995

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

RAW IS WAR'S A THORN
IN YOUR EYE

That rooftop intro with everyone fighting and fire everywhere was like the coolest poo poo to me as a kid. Even that other one with Austin walking through a dilapidated warehouse with burning barrels or whatever. It all felt so cool and dangerous.

I think the lesson here is, more things need to be grimy and on fire in WWE and then maybe one day I'll be interested again.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ganso Bomb posted:

That rooftop intro with everyone fighting and fire everywhere was like the coolest poo poo to me as a kid. Even that other one with Austin walking through a dilapidated warehouse with burning barrels or whatever. It all felt so cool and dangerous.

I think the lesson here is, more things need to be grimy and on fire in WWE and then maybe one day I'll be interested again.

Austin's urbex journey and the Nitro exploding city intros were the tops of their era.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The exploding Nitro intro was great.

Then in the dark days we got this abomination:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZmMMBjNHh4

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Hedgehog Pie posted:

The exploding Nitro intro was great.

Then in the dark days we got this abomination:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZmMMBjNHh4

It really is insane how miles ahead of everyone WWE has always been with video production. I guess it's finally starting to change now with how AEW utilizes cinematography and some of the UK/Europe indies doing some neat videos, but it was always the one thing that stuck out to me in the WCW vs WWF era.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Ganso Bomb posted:

It really is insane how miles ahead of everyone WWE has always been with video production. I guess it's finally starting to change now with how AEW utilizes cinematography and some of the UK/Europe indies doing some neat videos, but it was always the one thing that stuck out to me in the WCW vs WWF era.

Agreed, though maybe I'm biased from years of watching Nitro the next day on a well-used VHS tape. But yeah, WWF just had a way of making everything look cooler, sound better, etc. I don't know if they brought more crew & equipment to the arena, but they always seemed to have the right angle when there was a big spot, etc. Even little stuff like showing the Titan-Tron videos full-screen when guys came out. Remember that brief period where WWE brought the nWo in, and they did that lighting effect for their entrance? WCW wasn't going to do anything that impressive.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Poor management just hit WCW everywhere I think, from presentation to booking, from HR to marketing, and beyond. I'm going to wager that WWF's look seemed so sleek by comparison because everyone involved was so tightly drilled/constantly being yelled at by Vince.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Why is it sometimes Jushin Liger and other times Jyushin Liger? Even NJPW has done it both ways recently.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's a lot of different romanization systems.

The best part is to most English speakers neither spelling will have you saying it right.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Ganso Bomb posted:

Why is it sometimes Jushin Liger and other times Jyushin Liger? Even NJPW has done it both ways recently.

It's a romanization of "獣神ライガー" (Beast God Liger), the name of an animated series. The transliteration is inexact.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I watched a video explaining pro-wrestling to people who don't understand it. It cited the Curtain Call as an example. I do know Triple H's "The Game" promo was a worked shoot, but the event it referenced was a shoot, right? I just can't fathom how it could have happened otherwise.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yes. Vince had supposedly given them permission to do something as a farewell to Nash and Hall, but didn't know it would be that.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Lamuella posted:

It's a romanization of "獣神ライガー" (Beast God Liger), the name of an animated series. The transliteration is inexact.

And more importantly the phonetic Japanese for that is じゅうしん which combines the じ (ji) along with a small ゆ (yu). So the sound is joo, (rhymes with moo) but especially older Japanese write it in English with the y (Jyu). More standard currently is to drop the y (Ju).

Tl;dr Japanese is a nightmare and confusing

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Liger's going into the WWE Hall of Fame, but wasn't his only match with the company the first Takeover: Brooklyn in 2015?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

He had more good matches in companies now owned by WWE than a large percentage of the current HoF

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Liger's going into the WWE Hall of Fame, but wasn't his only match with the company the first Takeover: Brooklyn in 2015?

He also had a match in 1990, and spent a decent amount of time in WCW. That combined with his years elsewhere is enough to qualify, I imagine. There's certainly worse people in there.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
put Muta in, you cowards

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

He also had a match in 1990, and spent a decent amount of time in WCW. That combined with his years elsewhere is enough to qualify, I imagine. There's certainly worse people in there.

I forgot he was in WCW for a while, that explains it a bit better.

And yeah, I know the criteria is meaningless and nonexistent, I just thought it a particularly out of nowhere choice.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I forgot he was in WCW for a while, that explains it a bit better.

And yeah, I know the criteria is meaningless and nonexistent, I just thought it a particularly out of nowhere choice.

Barely of a stretch than Tatsumi Fujinami but that's WWE for you.

Reminder that they offered Rossy Ogawa a slot in the HOF if he sold them Stardom. It's very silly.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 13, 2020

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The HoF exists to sell tickets. Liger is a big name that will get people to come, and putting Liger in directly after he has retired will probably sell more than doing it later

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

forkboy84 posted:

Barely of a stretch than Tatsumi Fujinami but that's WWE for you.

This shows how little I've been paying attention.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
Reminder that Stevie Ray is in the WWE Hall of Fame, a company he never once worked for, almost entirely because of who his brother is.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WWE is WCW too.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

rujasu posted:

Agreed, though maybe I'm biased from years of watching Nitro the next day on a well-used VHS tape. But yeah, WWF just had a way of making everything look cooler, sound better, etc. I don't know if they brought more crew & equipment to the arena, but they always seemed to have the right angle when there was a big spot, etc. Even little stuff like showing the Titan-Tron videos full-screen when guys came out. Remember that brief period where WWE brought the nWo in, and they did that lighting effect for their entrance? WCW wasn't going to do anything that impressive.

WCW had by far the best ring sound though. Such a good noise when the wrestlers hit the mat.

Also, I always felt that WCW was produced and presented more like a live sporting event whereas WWF was more of a glossy tv show.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

MrBling posted:

WCW had by far the best ring sound though. Such a good noise when the wrestlers hit the mat.

Also, I always felt that WCW was produced and presented more like a live sporting event whereas WWF was more of a glossy tv show.

Tony, for all his faults, really emphasized this with his usual baseball style commentary. When he stuck to that, with Brain heeling and Tenay providing Wikipedia level info, it worked pretty well. Larry can gently caress off, and I was checked out by the time anyone after that was on. Though thinking about it now, I'm not sure if those three ever commented together.

Also at this point, WWE wants people to think WCW was always part of their brand unless it's to dump on the company or point out how WWE won in the end.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I'm pretty sure that Tony, Brain and Tenay commentated together fairly often at one point, and they were better than most of WCW's commentary groupings, until Brain truly stopped giving a poo poo anyway.

WCW definitely had a stronger record in emphasising the athletic, sporty aspects of pro wrestling, but I feel like even that was falling apart by... 1997, maybe? Everything I've gone back and watched from 1999 and beyond is veering more into WWF-lite territory though, both before and after Russo.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I'm pretty sure that Tony, Brain and Tenay commentated together fairly often at one point, and they were better than most of WCW's commentary groupings, until Brain truly stopped giving a poo poo anyway.

WCW definitely had a stronger record in emphasising the athletic, sporty aspects of pro wrestling, but I feel like even that was falling apart by... 1997, maybe? Everything I've gone back and watched from 1999 and beyond is veering more into WWF-lite territory though, both before and after Russo.

They were pretty WWF-like in 1995 when Hogan was feuding with the Dungeon of Doom. But yeah, in 1999-2000 they were really trying to be the WWF with the set change, two-man ringside commentary team, Mark Madden being somehow more obnoxious than Jerry Lawler, hardcore matches, etc. But they also had stuff like Riki Rachtman and DJ Ran that didn't line up with anything WWF was doing. One thing that was cool about the WCW-vs-nWo storyline in 1996-1998 was that it was sort of a dramatization of NWA-vs-WWF, tradition-vs.-sports-entertainment, and that sort of blended into the presentation, but by 1999 that tension was gone, it was full-blown WWF-style.

Heenan was phoning it in most of the time he was in WCW. The three-man booth worked fine, but it probably would have worked about as well with just Tony and Tenay. Heenan could still get a laugh every now and then though.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
WCW still had good workers after Hogan came in, but by the time Nitro came about you could see this clear division between an athletic undercard and a spectacular main event.

See Eddie wrestle Rey! See Benoit wrestle Regal! Now change the channel to Raw!

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

rujasu posted:

They were pretty WWF-like in 1995 when Hogan was feuding with the Dungeon of Doom. But yeah, in 1999-2000 they were really trying to be the WWF with the set change, two-man ringside commentary team, Mark Madden being somehow more obnoxious than Jerry Lawler, hardcore matches, etc. But they also had stuff like Riki Rachtman and DJ Ran that didn't line up with anything WWF was doing. One thing that was cool about the WCW-vs-nWo storyline in 1996-1998 was that it was sort of a dramatization of NWA-vs-WWF, tradition-vs.-sports-entertainment, and that sort of blended into the presentation, but by 1999 that tension was gone, it was full-blown WWF-style.

Heenan was phoning it in most of the time he was in WCW. The three-man booth worked fine, but it probably would have worked about as well with just Tony and Tenay. Heenan could still get a laugh every now and then though.

What was it that killed Heenan's spark, anyway? Was it the product itself, just getting older and not caring as much anymore, working with lovely partners (like Mongo), alcohol, etc. or some combination of all of that?

I always hear that he stopped caring at some point and it definitely shows, but I don't know that I've read/heard why.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Tony and Bobby hated one another, and the former usually knew what was going to happen while keeping the latter in the dark.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ganso Bomb posted:

What was it that killed Heenan's spark, anyway? Was it the product itself, just getting older and not caring as much anymore, working with lovely partners (like Mongo), alcohol, etc. or some combination of all of that?

I always hear that he stopped caring at some point and it definitely shows, but I don't know that I've read/heard why.

IIRC it was nearly immediately. He made some suggestions about the product, they were wholly ignored, he felt disrespected, he said gently caress it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I've heard that Brain was not especially keen on Tony as a person, especially after Tony shot down the idea of doing a tribute to Gorilla Monsoon on Nitro? Tony could play off of Brain, but he often seemed a bit reluctant or even outright snide about it, perhaps due to his own disillusionment with WCW. That might have played a part in Brain not bothering anymore, but in general I feel like it was just that WCW didn't care, so why should he? If he can get drunk on live TV with no repercussions, then why not?