Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

all games are actually terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Kind Words is pretty okay.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Hwurmp posted:

You calling Trials a bad videogame son?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

John Murdoch posted:

Either upthread or elsewhere I've heard the same thing from somebody else. I'm guessing it's only $3 in the US or somesuch.
Still cheap enough to try, thanks.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Hwurmp posted:

Play anything from Amanita. Their stuff never fails to put a smile on my face and give the good feels.

Even a little trifle of a game like Pilgrims was great. One of my favorites of last year, and a playthrough is like 40 minutes.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

sorry but all those games were actually terrible all along too

I don't write the rules

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

anilEhilated posted:

So I've apparently missed the Division deal and only thing it's offering me is the "standard version" for ten euro (84% off). Is that the deal everyone was gushing about or is that already gone?
It's only a US deal.

Jamfrost posted:

Steins;Gate is nutty and very anime/Japanese. The sci-fi seems to be going places, but I'm still only around chapter 2. It's a big one with multiple games if you like the first.
Eh... The second game takes place literally between two textboxes near the end of the original and spins its wheels for hours.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jamfrost posted:

I thought Half-Life 2 was rad and still is. I love them physics and that gravity gun. That's coming from someone where that was pretty much my first Half-Life game. I never went through the first myself. I've seen it played normally many years later and speedran. I think I was too young to understand how to play the first one.

*shrug*

I should probably get the Orange Box at some point. I remember getting that for the console. I also don't own Half-Life.

Reminder to everyone, all of those games are free-to-play until Alyx comes out (even the episodes/expansions). Go go go! Experience gaming history.

-

Division deal should still be there until the expansion's release.

I loved HL2 when I first played it, but when I went back to play it a few years later I just couldn't get into it. If I could just skip the cutscenes, or they were shorter, it would be a lot easier to enjoy.
That said, I do have to dig up my copy of the artbook because that thing was amazing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

SelenicMartian posted:

It's only a US deal.
Oh well, 10€ is still a pretty good deal for it. Grabbed.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Soul Glo posted:

Did this get patched in recent months to make it run better? I played through it on Xbox at launch and rebought it on Steam but maaaaan it runs like poo poo on my 1070.

I have a 1070 as well, coupled with an i-6700k, and playing on 1080p with everything on ultra/high (I just left the default settings as they were) it runs at about 50-70 FPS in open spaces. Seems reasonable.

Now that it was brought up I might change some settings so that it never drops below 60, what's the big resource hog in these games?

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Feb 14, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Phlegmish posted:

I have a 1070 as well, coupled with an i-6700k, and playing on 1080p with everything on ultra/high (I just left the default settings as they were) it runs at about 50-70 FPS in open spaces. Seems reasonable.

Now that it was brought up I might change some settings so that it never drops below 60, what's the big resource hog in these games?
Shadows and anti-aliasing are the worst offenders, as usual. Dial down the anti-aliasing to 2x and shadows to one step below maximum should be enough.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

succ posted:

Can anyone recommend visual novels with excellent narratives? New to the genre.

Anime or not, I don't care.

Planetarian: The reverie of a little planet. It is now more relevant than ever.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Phlegmish posted:

The "very high" preset is about 20-30% faster than "ultra" with most of the difference (both in performance and visuals) being in shadow settings. The unique shadow options (PCSS and HFTS) reduce framerates by another 40% so especially make sure those are off :v:

Using MSAA or TXAA (TXAA looks a bit better) is a ~25% performance hit, while the lower performance impact of SMAA/FXAA is barely noticeable compared to no AA at all, but FXAA looks like poo poo as usual. If you run the temporal-AA option together with SMAA you gain another 20-30% in performance because the game will render in a lower resolution internally, with the corresponding effects on image quality.

On the other hand, since your GPU has more than 6 GB of VRAM you can safely run the HD texture DLC, and HBAO+ should also be safe to use because it slows down the game by less than 5%.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
On the topic of Visual Novels, I'd recommend We Know The Devil as a short but very heartwarming story and Pyre for the usual Supergiant charm but with a lot more talking.

Seconding Phoenix Write and 999, even though I wasn't a very big far of the last 1/3rd or so of VLR.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I watched the SkillUp review of this last night and it looks pretty drat good, especially as a Path of Exile nut. What's the goon evaluation so far? What's the online play like mechanically, D3?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QChrPRqP4gc

(e) He mentioned some problems with the Kickstarter goals, but those didn't seem terribly onerous

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Took a long time to figure out what the point of that gif was. Was just assuming it was showcasing how terribly boring the game is: Instead of some huge badass with big skills, you're some farmer taking swings at bats. Who, naturally, are designed to be as uninteresting and non-threatening as possible, as showcased by the player dancing around them and staying at fullhp?

Oh wait, something about hitboxes it seems. Yea, that's the problem there.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

They can't click on the bats.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

SelenicMartian posted:

They can't click on the bats.

Maybe they're clickbats, you won't believe what happens next

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Bad Munki posted:

:tizzy:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

Mmmmmm.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Feels almost taboo to post content after something like that.

:intv: Platformebruary 2020: Ultimate Collector's Edition :intv:

1. Blasphemous
2. Duck Souls
3. Dune Sea
4. A Robot Named Fight
5. Sonic Mania
6. Izeriya
7. MagiCat
8. Runner3
9. Harold
10. Spirits Abyss
11. A Short Hike
12. Super Time Force Ultra
13. Touhou Luna Nights

14. Spark the Electric Jester 2

Despite the prevalence of modern Marios and high-profile successes like A Hat in Time, the 3D platformer genre is a small one. It’s not hard to see why, because engineering clever levels and satisfying movement is far harder in 3D than 2D. Even some big franchises like Sonic had a tough time bridging the gap, but not Spark the Electric Jester. As decent as the first game was at being a spiritual successor to the Sonic of old, this sequel manages to outshine its inspiration in Sonic Adventure, and improve on an impressive amount of the design. It also falls into its own pitfalls, but none so deep that they’d keep you from enjoying this high-speed adventure.

You might remember Fark as the mechanical imposter who hounded Spark all through the first game. Well, Spark is a hero and the evil Freom is gone, which doesn’t leave much for ol’ Fark to do. He’s been hanging out with Professor Armstrong, who recently came up with a way to access Fark’s lost memories regarding his origins. Unfortunately, the good doctor is whisked away by a new cadre of meddlesome robots, leaving it to Fark to get him back. He’ll speed his way across the many plains and cities of their idyllic, high-tech world, before discovering more about his past than he might like, and uncovering a new threat to all life, human and robotic, on the planet.

That’s as far as I’m getting into the story, because much like the first game, it’s a mess. Unlike the first game, though, it’s not told by an embarrassment of cutscenes, and honestly that might be part of the problem. Spark 2 introduces a whole cast of new characters, but limits their appearances to just a few establishing scenes. The dialogue tends towards cryptic as well, so it’s remarkably hard to follow who’s loyal to whom and who all wants to kill Fark. These scenes are also uncomfortable tonal shifts from the technicolor zaniness of the levels, often leading from childish insults to a character getting dramatically stabbed and dying a tragic, tearful death.

But it’s fine if you’re not here for the story, because the levels more than make up for it. The original Spark did a good job of having huge, sprawling levels to speed through or explore, much like the best Sonic levels. Somehow, the developer effectively translated that into three dimensions for Spark 2. The game’s dozen or so levels are remarkably huge, filled with platforms, towers, tracks, traps, and secrets. Seriously, if you see something neat off in the distance of a level, you’re probably going to end up over there after a few spring launches and loop-the-loops. Gems, health, and powerups dot the many paths and platforms around you, along with disks that unlock a proliferation of concept art. You could spend 20 or 30 minutes in each level just exploring, looking for odd paths, or checking out the scenery.

You could also fly like the wind and beat the level in 2 or 3 minutes, too. Fark is insanely mobile in this game, with a lightning-fast run, a dash to get up to speed, a huge double-jump, and a lock-on attack that makes bouncing off of enemies or springs a breeze. The main paths are usually dotted with accelerators to get you up to speed, and once you’re there it’s easy to keep up the pace as you leap and soar across the level. You’ll find plenty of curving, looping tracks connecting larger platforming areas too, which are incredibly fun to zoom along. Or at least until the final levels, where most of the platforming falls away and you’re challenged with staying on thin paths with no walls. The graphics help a bit, with the bold colors and simple shapes making it remarkably easy to see where you can and should go. I should probably mention here that the sound design has suffered since the last game, with few memorable musical tracks and some very underwhelming effects across the board.

You’ll notice the sound the most when running or in combat, but taking the high-speed approach also removes most of the enemies from consideration, as there’s nothing forcing you to fight common foes. It’s almost a bit of a shame, because Fark has a decent 3D combat system based on basic combos and parrying. You can find powers along the way and hold three at a time, though I think there’s only like six total in the game. Some are clearly dominant over others as well, not that I didn’t expect that after the first game. Bosses are where your skills will be tested, particularly your ability to parry, because you can stun even the toughest foes with a well-timed block. Most of them are pretty fun, though the train boss was a bit confounding and things take a decidedly Dragonball Z turn for the finale.

If you haul rear end, you can easily beat Spark 2 in like 2 hours. Obviously you’ll miss out on huge swathes of the levels, but it’ll also be some of the most rewarding, fast-paced platforming you’ve done in 3D. There are plenty of difficulty levels to choose from, six in all, and I can vouch for Easy making combat mostly a non-issue for the first two-thirds of the game or so. Beating the game unlocks some unreasonable challenge modes, so in terms of replayability you’ll want to focus on collectibles and scoring medal times on stages. It’ll be worth it to revisit these worlds, though, because they are beautiful, fun-filled spectacles. Spark 2 is a big step forward overall, bringing the series into a fantastic world of 3D action and mayhem, with very little holding it back.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Any of you goons seen/care about Outriders That was announced over the last couple days? It's a 1-3 player Co-op TPS/RPG from People Can Fly and it looks like it has potential. Potential to either be pretty neat or to be Anthem-esque.

There's a video with a bunch of info and several trailers interspersed with an annoying man talking to a couple of devs here -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5dQw2-9WWs

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

StrixNebulosa posted:

I cannot describe how strange it is to play a space sim where it just hands you things and you're up and playing with fire within the first hour. I genuinely expected that I'd still be like, scrubbing floors for five hours before anything opened up.

It's why I always stress that Void Destroyer 2's biggest selling point and thing that sets it apart from other similar games is that it respects your time. It's a game that wants you to have fun and not start a second job so you can maybe have fun in short intervals a week later. Pirates? Always got a bounty. Dangerous mission that requires a fleet? Your ships get automatically insured and you're compensated for a large part of all losses. You're doing a thing? You get paid for it an amount that's relative to the danger and difficulty of the activity. This poo poo should be basic but it's apparently some kind of secret game design martial art.

VD2's second biggest selling point? The only game where pirates are actually pirates and not psychopathic killer monsters. They wanna make money! You give them money, they let you live. You give them cargo they let you live. The game even punishes the player for behaving like a psycho if they want to be a pirate: You kill the people that refuse your demands so the next will know not to. But if you kill people who complied, the next ones will know there's no reason to and they'll fight.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 14, 2020

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
You're doing a very good job of selling it... right now the biggest thing holding me back is that art style :barf:

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/danthat/status/1228379150387380225?s=20

Big discount on a couple of good indie point 'n' clicks.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You're doing a very good job of selling it... right now the biggest thing holding me back is that art style :barf:

You can disable the outline and cel shading separately from each other!

Though it looks a lot worse without it

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

AirRaid posted:

an annoying man

https://twitter.com/Malik4Play/status/1228346657898545154

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Now that's what I call a self-own

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I can impulsively jump into bad relationships no problem without any FOMO

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

fear of multiplayer online

sounds like malik's not a fan of couch co-op

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Fear Of Manly Odours?
Frequently-Operated Mouse Option?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Anyone ever play mouse/keyboard games on a coffee table lol?

I kinda wanna get back into first person shooters but my PC is a living room TV setup.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

once, years and years ago when i was housesitting for my parents and i wanted to see what my games would look like hooked up to their big tv. it doesn't really work unless you put the keyboard on your lap and have some sort of side/high table to put the mouse on, putting them on something like a coffee table and having to hunch/reach way over is exceedingly uncomfortable

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
does the coffee table have a second tier? if not just sit on the floor and stretch your legs out through the bottom bing bong so simple

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I will say that anytime I've used a mouse and the screen is not directly in front of my face like a normal desk setup it feels incredibly awkward, like giving a work presentation

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Just get gamepad and console-gamer it up for a bit. Some stuff that you wouldn't think works fine with a gamepad, I've seen people play space 4x games from the couch.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ciaphas posted:

I watched the SkillUp review of this last night and it looks pretty drat good, especially as a Path of Exile nut. What's the goon evaluation so far? What's the online play like mechanically, D3?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QChrPRqP4gc

(e) He mentioned some problems with the Kickstarter goals, but those didn't seem terribly onerous
Its clunkiness is somewhere above D3/PoE but below Grim Dawn. i'm not far enough into levelling to even really talk about the passive tree but at start it's less interesting than PoE's with even the big nodes just being +% Thing. The skill system definitely takes the best aspects of PoE skill gems and D3 skill mods but I've also only found skills that only work with different weapons so I currently have two moves I can do.

I have two major complaints about it so far, one of which should be obvious but the other is that Wolcen is incredibly quick to hide loot from you and coming from PoE the lack of control over that is incredibly frustrating.

Online play was as good as D3 at release, which is to say it didn't work at all for me and I would've returned the game if it hadn't shipped with offline.

Rolo posted:

Anyone ever play mouse/keyboard games on a coffee table lol?

I kinda wanna get back into first person shooters but my PC is a living room TV setup.
Yeah, I do all of my gaming on my living room tv. Actually playing on a coffee table will ruin your back or your knees - you want to either sit with your legs up so you're at a good angle to have the mouse next to you and the keyboard on your lap, or get an adjustable tv tray so you can set up a pretend 'desktop' for when you're sitting properly. Either way it will make you really appreciate how good having controller support is.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Anyone tried this Final Fantasy Tactics/Fire Emblem looking "french revolution but anime" game? Looks kinda neat.

Banner of the Maid
https://store.steampowered.com/app/994730/_Banner_of_the_Maid/

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Reminds me of when that dude reg’d to promote his French Revolution jrpg Kickstarter and they pinned the topic so people could roast it for a few months. Looks kind of interesting though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Is that the one with Cherry Venus?