Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Gearhead posted:

Maybe I was looking at the wrong case. Hell, I can't remember any longer.

Just lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

My girlfriend is literally flying home in 14 hours if airtraffic from Egypt is somehow disturbed I'm gonna kill the virus myself

1 on 1, no masks, battle to the death.

That sucker is projected at a 2 percent chance of winning so I feel very confident about this.

Son of Rodney fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 14, 2020

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
My money's on the virus, theres a lot more of them

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat
Epidemiologist I know says it's a bad flu but civilization will remain intact. He says it will help sell more newspapers though.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

I never claimed to be smart. In fact, I may have been replaced by a short shell script years ago.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Lots of summer WHO interns in here

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
https://twitter.com/tbs_news/status/1228319053489434626

The Japanese guy who transported a patient got the virus even though he was wearing goggles and mask. This motherfucking virus can go into any hole you expose!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

any hole is the goal :mmmsmug:

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

stephenthinkpad posted:

The Japanese guy who transported a patient got the virus even though he was wearing goggles and mask. This motherfucking virus can go into any hole you expose!

The guy probably forgot to wash his hands after he took his masks off. Rookie mistake imho

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Here's my 2 cent WHO summer intern opinion. When real data is obtained and analyzed it's going to turn out it's way more transmissible than what the numbers say today.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

a mysterious cloak posted:

Lots of summer WHO interns in here

that's giving us way too much credit

we're just a bunch of fools and assholes, attempting, in our dumb way, to understand the world

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

stephenthinkpad posted:

goatse man is hosed

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Cool there's a case of coronavirus in the interior BC, thanks for not telling us what city it is in government

I'd be shocked if it wasn't where I am

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Do it ironically posted:

Cool there's a case of coronavirus in the interior BC, thanks for not telling us what city it is in government

I'd be shocked if it wasn't where I am

It's you, you're the coronavirus!

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Ha like life would give me what I want, the sweet release of death

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

This is like the release of the greatest hit.

In the next year 70% of us are going to live this thing, survive to it, there will be a lot of chest thumbing "Me, Strong".

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Will breathing in bleach vapors/liquid kill all the virii in my lungs?

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Shaocaholica posted:

Indirectly, yes

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Shaocaholica posted:

I can safely say you won't have to worry about the virus anymore.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Shaocaholica posted:

you need to keep your BAC at or above .3

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

It is now the perfect time to read The Stand again and slowly freak myself out.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

Not even close, only two samples were fully analysed and we're practically completely identical

"HKU-SZ-002a and HKU-SZ-005b differ from each other by only two bases. One of them is a non-synonymous mutation at amino acid position 336 of non-structural protein 4 (Ser336 for HKU-SZ-002a; Leu336 for HKU-SZ-005b; figure 4)"

Partial rt-pcr was done on 5 samples which confirmed it's different from SARS etc.

This paper literally states the opposite of what your saying. Your left and right but probably would differ more genetically.

Gearhead may have been getting their information from someone looking at Figure 3a and 3b, which list all of the samples with unique identifiers. Which I guess just labels the samples, and doesn't necessarily indicate that they have unique genomes, and they don't know how similar the other samples are since they weren't fully analyzed?

But here is a cool thing, you can visualize all of the uniquely-discovered strains and where they've gone on a global map, with citations. It... kind of looks like there are a lot but disclaimer: I'm not a biologist and I have no idea what I'm doing.

https://nextstrain.org./ncov

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

fappenmeister posted:

It is now the perfect time to read The Stand again and slowly freak myself out.

No it isn't. Read something else. Once is enough for the vast majority of people.

Hand of god, my rear end in a top hat. What a cop out.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Mix it with ammonia to be sure.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
question to anyone who says "virii"

are you computer touchers? that's a computer toucher thing.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Plant MONSTER. posted:

question to anyone who says "virii"

are you computer touchers? that's a computer toucher thing.

It's also incorrect. For several reasons. But mainly virus is a mass noun in latin. You can't pluralize it. So the plural for english virus is viruses.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Gearhead posted:

Imagine this breaking out in say, the homeless camps in California.
GOP lawmakers flood hospitals with erections that last over 4 hours?

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
my weekend plans include yum cha in melbourne chinatown with someone who's just flown from sydney to melbourne to attend a michael buble concert and will be then flying home again

aaaaaaaaaaah hineni hineeeeeeeni

i'm ready, my LORD

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
seriously though, at this point the virus is everywhere and it can't be avoided so gently caress it

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i have made my choice. this is who i am. i can and will die for yum cha

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost

Colonel Cancer posted:

My money's on the virus, theres a lot more of them

How big would the result of all covid-19 formed together into some sort of mecha-covid X. What would it's stats look like on a Saturday morning cartoon? What would the special abilities be? Would we even have the chance to survive?

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
\

Nurge posted:

It's also incorrect. For several reasons. But mainly virus is a mass noun in latin. You can't pluralize it. So the plural for english virus is viruses.

exactly! it bugs me so here are some rules I'll need all goons to follow

-wash your hands (w/ soap)
-drink juice and exercise and you'll be fine
-avoid licking door handles if you can help it
-it's viruses
-avoid rear end to mouth (or "eating rear end") while the virii are in town
-the boys are back in town
-the boys are back in towwwwn.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Getting ready to board my flight from Indonesia to LA.

Haven’t died yet.

My S/O has a cold though so lol she’s probably hosed when she lands in the UK.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

hallelujah posted:

Real talk I’ve got a friend who works in a Chinese restaurant near box hill and is seriously worried about how much longer he can stay open due to lack of business.

Good job going for yum cha, I feel bad for these restaurant workers :(

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
https://twitter.com/mithaldu/status/1228503021207900160

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

hallelujah posted:

If you don't get niu za I will destroy you myself

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

If you don't get niu za I will destroy you myself

Chang fun

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
The guy in jail in Buffalo was released without completing 14-day observation

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/h...e6-f4afa3c37be2

quote:

The man being watched at the Erie County Holding Center for coronavirus symptoms is free to go.

Kevin Qiu was released from custody Friday afternoon. He has warrants out of Pennsylvania, but prosecutors there decided they didn't want him.

Since Qiu had that bench warrant out, he was detained at the Peace Bridge on Wednesday. When he got to the Erie County Holding Center, his case was expedited because he recently returned from China.

"Normally, we can wait a couple of days for the hearing, and the person will sit in the holding center, so the fact that the sheriff, sheriff's office called us first thing this morning at 8:30 and said, 'Hey, can we do the hearing right away?' that's very unusual," Erie County District Attorney John Flynn said.

When he was in China, Qiu was about 600 miles from the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak, so following Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines, he was flagged as medium risk.

"Our nurse was the one who flagged this individual and, 'Oh, China,' knew the CDC guidelines right off the bat and was able to begin this process," Erie County Sheriff’s Office spokesperson Scott Zylka said.

The Erie County Sheriff's Office says Qiu wasn't showing any symptoms.

"There was no test done. It was an evaluation," Zylka said.

It turns out prosecutors in Pennsylvania decided they didn't want custody of Qiu, who was wanted on charges of receiving stolen property and driving without a license.

"They are a private citizen, and they are free to leave the facility," Zylka said.

"So, this guy is free to go, he doesn't have to tell you where he's going?" 2 On Your Side’s Kelly Dudzik asked.

"No, he does not. We could ask. He has no obligation to tell us where he's going, anything along those lines," Zylka said.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The guys who look 23 who is 35?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

MorrisBae posted:

The guy in jail in Buffalo was released without completing 14-day observation

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/h...e6-f4afa3c37be2

He's probably rubbing up against some strippers right now.