Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

The Glumslinger posted:

The biggest problem is that we are only building 1 HSR, rather than several routes

If we can’t do it all at once why even bother. :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

They're not wrong that a failure of political imagination has led to the desperation of one rail to rule them all, instead of envisioning a comprehensive transit strategy that might take longer to implement and be more expensive, but ultimately better serve the people of California. Yeah, if there's only one HSR I think it should go down the 99 corridor. But in a civilized state we could have a ultra-fast 5 corridor Bay-to-LA express, an LA-to-Redding line, a Bay-to-Truckee line (maybe, I don't know about the engineering difficulties this would entail), and a SoCal loop that encompassed both beach cities and the cities along 15 from LA to San Diego.

Yes, this sounds very pie-in-the-sky but if you don't start from a position of going for the best possible scenario you have no ability to bargain down to something that's at least acceptable. This is the classic liberal political failure, and it's pathetic every time it comes up.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

sincx posted:

...... why not the Coast Starlight?

Hours not as convenient AND it takes longer.

I wanted to do a "red-eye" to save $$$ on the stupidly expensive hotels in San Francisco. So I'm leaving on Monday evening, arrive at Oakland (sure sure) at 10:00 am the next day. Likewise, I leave Oakland at 10:00 pm on Friday, get back to Oceanside the next morning.

I really wish I could have done Coast Starlight with an overnight option. I had the points (and then some) for a sleeper car.

For Serious Games in Orlando, I'm afraid I have to fly.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
Intra-CA redeye sounds absolutely miserable, my condolences.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Anza Borrego posted:

Intra-CA redeye sounds absolutely miserable, my condolences.

Better than Red-Eye on a coach airline flight. I'm over 6'2".

I also have the ability to fall asleep anywhere at will.

My only worry is stuff getting stolen off the Bus. It happened to my daughter on Greyhound. I hope Amtrak is better than that.

On the train, it's not an issue since the folder stays with me.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

I don’t know how it’s going in other parts of the state, but here in San Diego the Bernie campaign is in need of GOTV canvassers BIG TIME. We have a lot of canvassing events all over the region every weekend but we are getting only 5-10 people at each, and the campaign wants us at 20+

Phone banking and texting is cool but CA is voting RIGHT NOW so if you live here and can spare any time to canvass please get connected with the campaign and get to work!

events.berniesanders.com

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I'm signed up to canvass for the first time tomorrow (bay area tho).

gently caress Mike Bloomberg

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Also, this is loving annoying

I mailed my ballot shortly after getting it and 2 days later it showed up in my own mailbox with no postmarks or processing stamps. I stuck it immediately in the outgoing mail slot. That was about 5 days ago. Santa Clara County registrar still says it's not received. What should my contingency plan be? Am I doomed to voting with a provisional ballot?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The campaign tells us to mail ballots in a mail slot AT a post office, not your building’s outgoing slot or a random blue box on the street.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Which reminded me to check my status. SD county says they received my ballot on the 11th but they haven’t received my partner’s, even though I dropped them both into the same mail box together. Hrmmm

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I'm signed up to canvass for the first time tomorrow (bay area tho).

gently caress Mike Bloomberg

I am legit a little worried about him. He seems to get what a lot of people in politics don’t, that just flooding the zone with bullshit and not giving a poo poo about small failures works. I mean, if you have money to burn, that’s not a bad strategy. poo poo like the Instagram memes might look like a failure to people like us, it might even be that among normal people, but he can try a hundred variations of that and then promote the hell out of whichever one works.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

If you’re worried then pleas get your rear end outside this weekend and canvas for Bernie. You will feel a lot better afterwards I guarantee.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Anyone know anything about Tim Grayson or Mike Thompson? Alternatively, how are you guys usually looking up information about candidates?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I'm not arrogant enough to think I know it all but here's my take: Bloomberg is very much in the honeymoon phase where everyone is hearing nothing but good things about him from his ads. He is a shitbag and in a couple of weeks most people are going to know quite a bit more about him and realize that he's trash. Then he's going to get on the debate stage and get thumped. He'll always have some decent contingent of low-info voters but it won't be enough.

People are worried about endorsements but the great thing about our total institutional collapse is that few people care about what institutions tell them anymore!

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
Recommendations for a friend in the east bay? She speaks Spanish (native Colombian). She can travel as far as San Mateo or down to about Milpitas.

He’s also weird, short (petty, but it matters to some), and has an odd voice. Also everyone but Sanders is going to try to knife him since he’s also THEIR biggest perceived threat.

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Feb 15, 2020

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Anyone know anything about Tim Grayson or Mike Thompson? Alternatively, how are you guys usually looking up information about candidates?

Mike thompson is good folk, very centrist left leaning, objective about laws and taxes. I dont have exact policy details. Jan, his wife makes good stuffed mushrooms.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Couragescore.org is a pretty good entry-level resource for current incumbents at the state level. I wouldn't use the website as an end-all-be-all, but it keeps a good record of many important bill votes.

https://www.couragescore.org/people/timothy-grayson/

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The Sinclair Fox26 station in Fresno is amazing! I've learned from the special "Sinclair Terrorism Desk" that Dear Leader has defeated ISIS, from the "Sinclair Special Report" that "vile" ILLEGAL immigrants are murdering thousands of whites, from the "Sinclair Impeachment Desk" that the "Witch Hunt" is over and it's time to start going after the criminal instigators, and also from the Rassmussen polls guy that the country is 100% behind our beloved Dear Leader! :smugdon: :stonk:

The only thing different from my last visit at Christmas was there wasn't a "special" interview with Great Patriot Devin Nunes this time. :saddowns:

I saw a single Bernie ad on the station too though, that helped for about 5 seconds before the dread set back in. :bern101:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 15, 2020

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Bodhidharma posted:

Couragescore.org is a pretty good entry-level resource for current incumbents at the state level. I wouldn't use the website as an end-all-be-all, but it keeps a good record of many important bill votes.

https://www.couragescore.org/people/timothy-grayson/

Thanks! That F score lol. I vaguely remember him being crap when he worked in Concord, glad that I'm not misremembering.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Keyser_Soze posted:

The Sinclair Fox26 station in Fresno is amazing! I've learned from the special "Sinclair Terrorism Desk" that Dear Leader has defeated ISIS, from the "Sinclair Special Report" that "vile" ILLEGAL immigrants are murdering thousands of whites, from the "Sinclair Impeachment Desk" that the "Witch Hunt" is over and it's time to start going after the criminal instigators, and also from the Rassmussen polls guy that the country is 100% behind our beloved Dear Leader! :smugdon: :stonk:

The only thing different from my last visit at Christmas was there wasn't a "special" interview with Great Patriot Devin Nunes this time. :saddowns:

I saw a single Bernie ad on the station too though, that helped for about 5 seconds before the dread set back in. :bern101:

I bet you're loads of fun at parties.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Kenning posted:

I bet you're loads of fun at parties.

What?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Performing disgust at right-wing media in rural conservative areas is tedious at best, and smug dogwhistle classism at worst.

Keyser_Soze posted:

See told ya nobody needs a bullet train through Fresno, those people don't loving go anywhere except Wal Mart and Costco and to leave trash at Pismo Beach and also won't go anywhere without their bro-trucks anyway.

Guess which one it is in this case.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Kenning posted:

Performing disgust at right-wing media in rural conservative areas is tedious at best, and smug dogwhistle classism at worst.

Nah, Sinclair is dogshit propaganda, dude.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yes, obviously. It's the performative despair at having to be exposed to such things after repeatedly asserting their contempt for the region where such things are broadcast that's the tedious part.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Kenning posted:

Guess which one it is in this case.

It's only classicism if you assume everyone in rural areas is poor.

Classicist.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Please do not microagress the suburban fascists, it's very problematic.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Unoriginal Name posted:

It's only classicism if you assume everyone in rural areas is poor.

Classicist.

gently caress, owned :(

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I live in Santa Clara county. Is there any kind of good leftist summary of silicon valley / santa clara (or failing that, just for California) voting options? I saw a DSA endorsement page somewhere but it only mentioned like 2 of the california candidates,. There are a bunch of people on the ballot paper including 2 options I have where each option has a single candidate and a blank space (to write someone in I suppose?)

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?

redreader posted:

I live in Santa Clara county. Is there any kind of good leftist summary of silicon valley / santa clara (or failing that, just for California) voting options? I saw a DSA endorsement page somewhere but it only mentioned like 2 of the california candidates,. There are a bunch of people on the ballot paper including 2 options I have where each option has a single candidate and a blank space (to write someone in I suppose?)

The SV DSA guide should have most of the options covered, not just two. I don’t think there are any opinions on the judges - there’s no Persky or anything this time to draw attention to the topic.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Nah, Sinclair is dogshit propaganda, dude.

Exactly and there is no "opposite" of them, it's horrible and getting worse.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

sincx posted:

...... why not the Coast Starlight?

Depends. How many days late are you cool with arriving? (I've taken it. We left late, and thus freight rail had priority over us thereafter. That was on Amtrak; the flooding in Sacramento was nobody's fault but God's.)

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

lol managed to miss this one from months ago. Sorry if it's a rehash, I only just saw a list of Bloomberg endorsements.

https://sanjosespotlight.com/san-jose-mayor-sam-liccardo-raises-eyebrows-with-mike-bloomberg-endorsement/

quote:

San Jose Mayor Sam Liccardo’s announcement Tuesday that he’s endorsing Democratic presidential candidate Mike Bloomberg, just one week after his last pick, Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., dropped out of the race is raising eyebrows from critics.

This guy sure can pick em

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

The North Tower posted:

He’s also weird, short (petty, but it matters to some), and has an odd voice. Also everyone but Sanders is going to try to knife him since he’s also THEIR biggest perceived threat.

I feel it's quite the opposite, they're all going to try to knife Sanders. But we'll see.

I know I've mentioned this, but I've worked directly for billionaires and they are incredibly sheltered corpbabies who are surrounded tip to toe by yes-men; there's a very real possibility that Bloomberg gets up on stage and can't handle Sanders calling him a racist plutocrat and he melts down or at least has no effective comeback. On the other hand, Sanders has been poo poo on for years and is used to getting into it, so it's all in a day's work for him.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Completely unsurprising, Liccardo is a piece of poo poo.

e. Also just :lol: that he was going to endorse Harris, right up his alley.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 18, 2020

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Trump signs order diverting water to California farmers against state wishes.

:fuckoff: Trump

Hopefully the state can tie this up in court long enough for us to kick out Trump in November, and then it'll be irrelevant.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

It's been a minute since I've checked the thread, am I a total rube for the State of the State actually making me kind of hopeful for California to finally address the homelessness crisis?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Depends. Do you think a bunch of local council members will Do The Right Thing instead of the politically expeditious thing?

Because in LA I have yet to see someone say "I don't care how many elderly Koreans you march down Wilshire, my district needs healthcare and housing for the homeless"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SlimGoodbody posted:

It's been a minute since I've checked the thread, am I a total rube for the State of the State actually making me kind of hopeful for California to finally address the homelessness crisis?

Sure if they stop trowing cash at the wrong things and start putting it where it needs to go but I highly doubt thats going to happen because the correct way won't line peoples pockets.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Ugh! IBEW management is out of touch with its own rank and file and the labor movement as a whole.
Business manager runs PR fluff for PGE - https://youtu.be/qxbkQ521Igk
International organization endorses Biden without consulting rank and file - https://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/02/18/more-1200-ibew-members-call-union-leadership-retract-biden-endorsement

I was a member of IBEW (not a lineman) for 12 years and have been thru the national leadership ramming contracts down our throats that we vote down without asking what the concerns were with it (It is usually about the text of the contract and they assume it is the money). They also signed on in support of SOPA.

Admittedly I was not very active at the local meetings, so I don't know how hypocritical I am being. I felt out of place because I was usually working under a travel agreement, so I felt out of place in my home local and had no say in the locals I actually worked in. That travel contract language was something in dire need of fixing.

I hope whatever future union I am part of is a big tent progressive labor union as opposed to a protectionist trade organization.

E: I am supper excited to see these organizing movements at tartine and the wildcat strike at UCSC. The idea of a serious unsanctioned strike gives me hope for the future of labor.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

CopperHound posted:

E: I am supper excited to see these organizing movements at tartine and the wildcat strike at UCSC. The idea of a serious unsanctioned strike gives me hope for the future of labor.

Yeah, it's been awesome to see how much the strikers have accomplished. Today I woke up to Bernie tweeting in support of the strikers; hopefully this has the UC sweating bullets.

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1230288311006134274?s=19

For context UCSC is threatening the strikers with mass firings tomorrow.