Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Shaocaholica posted:

Just make the Xbox with double the GDDR6/HBM3 memory, removable NVME SSD(s) and a better CPU and sell it for $1000-$1500. Keep the form factor/layout. Slightly bigger is fine for better thermals as long as its nice and neat layout.

Oh, like microsoft or sony themselves, as a windows or linux box? gently caress yeah that'd own.

Changeable (AMD blower style, or perhaps a subset of preapproved models) GPU instead of gddr6 (so upgrade the resolution/quality your GPU can run) would be a fun build too but that would probably be too dangerous to allow, you'd potentially allow user-controllable DMA to the PSP "secure enclave" if anyone could find a break in the default firmware. Sony/MS spent a lot of money developing that DRM so you couldn't suck out the next call of battlefield.

Removable NVMe probably has the same concern, NVMe is PCIe which is a DMA attack vector.

Releasing a linux box might actually delay an actual break. The linux hacker guys want to run linux on everything, many of the more skilled hackers are ethical enough not to aim for unnecessary pirating enablement as long as they can just run linux.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
gently caress it, I hate advocating anything that Apple does, but if NVME is going to be an attack vector, solder half a terabyte of flash onto the board, and let's hope that what Sony has hinted with expansion cartridges isn't going to be some kind of proprietary Memory Stick/MagicGate thing again.

....as I was typing the back half of that sentence, I had to check the calendar to make sure that this wasn't 2003 all over again.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SwissArmyDruid posted:

gently caress it, I hate advocating anything that Apple does, but if NVME is going to be an attack vector, solder half a terabyte of flash onto the board, and let's hope that what Sony has hinted with expansion cartridges isn't going to be some kind of proprietary Memory Stick/MagicGate thing again.

....as I was typing the back half of that sentence, I had to check the calendar to make sure that this wasn't 2003 all over again.

I'm not saying they won't do removable NVMe or similar. The principle of the Secure Enclave is that nobody should be able to break out of their sandbox. But in theory, theory and reality are the same, in reality they're different. There will inevitably come out some game that is broken, and it's kinda handing the attacker a free guest root more or less.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Helianthus Annuus posted:

so is now a good time for a GPU upgrade, or is the next-gen right around the corner?
Wait for March 16-20 at GDC.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

ufarn posted:

Wait for March 16-20 at GDC.

I'm still betting on no news before Q3, possibly even Q4.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Nvidia has a GTC at the same time, as per usual. If anything, I would guess we see information about their Volta replacement for the datacenter (probably Ampere). May also hear about Big Navi at GDC.

But I agree, I would be very surprised to hear about a Turing replacement in March.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Look at how excited people are about IGPUs and such, part of the reason for that is because there is nothing happening with discrete GPUs, the only thing to discuss is AMD doing a dumb or arguing about the latest driver bug for one side or the other.

Do the APUs suffer from similar driver grief as AMD's GPUs?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

gradenko_2000 posted:

Do the APUs suffer from similar driver grief as AMD's GPUs?

I'm told that the desktop APUs get a lot fewer headaches than their mobile counterparts, mostly thanks to loving OEMS.

If you've anyone but HP, you can generally just bypass the OEM and go straight to AMD for drivers.

But if you're on HP, you're hosed. Like I am, on nine-month-old graphics drivers for this goddamn worse HP 2-in-1 ever made.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Helianthus Annuus posted:

so is now a good time for a GPU upgrade, or is the next-gen right around the corner?

I'm in the same boat. Use this time to hack into that steam sale backlog.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Mr.Radar posted:

The Scottish guy made a video about how lovely AMD's graphics drivers are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x-QSi_yvoU

I personally have an RX 580 (Polaris) and I haven't had any issues but it sounds like people with Vega and Navi are seeing a lot more issues.
The latest drivers for me (Pulse 5700XT) have caused some youtube videos to show a completely blank screen and the only way to stop it is to close the tab. Along with the blank screen that lasts 5 or 10 seconds shortly after loading windows and voltage and fan profiles that don't load after a boot the card is fine. But these are hard to avoid issues, although not deal breakers. I wouldn't recommended an AMD card to anyone right now until this poo poo gets sorted.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Budzilla posted:

The latest drivers for me (Pulse 5700XT) have caused some youtube videos to show a completely blank screen and the only way to stop it is to close the tab. Along with the blank screen that lasts 5 or 10 seconds shortly after loading windows and voltage and fan profiles that don't load after a boot the card is fine. But these are hard to avoid issues, although not deal breakers. I wouldn't recommended an AMD card to anyone right now until this poo poo gets sorted.

It's not the issues themselves that are really the problem, it's the fact that it's taking so long to fix them, how long have the black screen bugs been around? Something like 7 months now? AMD needs to get on top of this because no one can honestly recommend their cards when they might blow up in the face of the buyer.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I wonder if that goon that whinged at me because I said I have been avoiding amd gpus since their omega driver debacle a decade ago is still here

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I wonder if that goon that whinged at me because I said I have been avoiding amd gpus since their omega driver debacle a decade ago is still here

I've had plenty of driver debacles with Nvidia GPUs over the years as well. Around ~2015, Nvidia drivers would cause issues with regularity. I'm going to say that goon was right to "whinge" at you.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

SwissArmyDruid posted:

But if you're on HP, you're hosed. Like I am, on nine-month-old graphics drivers for this goddamn worse HP 2-in-1 ever made.

If that's one of those oddball Kaby-Lake G CPUs you can download the standard Vega driver package, extract the files, and manually point Windows at the drivers inside to update it.

Still bullshit that OEMs block automatic installers when they won't keep their own special driver packages up to date though.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i just saw screenshots of the new halflife game and uh... i think i finally need a new pc.

i'm already set on a cpu, but does anyone know if amd has a new gpu in the 5700 xt range planned in the near (say, next ~3 months) future?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
AMD's long-term driver issues are comparable to Nvidia. Polaris drivers are probably about the same as Pascal drivers, maybe better. And while Navi had issues at launch, Turing also had issues at launch. The difference is, Nvidia tends to have those issues mostly resolved in a few months, while AMD tends to take more like a year before a new architecture has mature drivers. That's really unacceptable.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Truga posted:

i just saw screenshots of the new halflife game and uh... i think i finally need a new pc.

I'd wait if it's any good before buying anything for a VR game, of all things. Valve hasn't developed an actually interesting new game in many years, at this point in time, they're an unproven developer. And I'm not even convinced anyone can make VR gaming into an appealing product.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lol shut the gently caress up lambert

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
In that case, I suggest you spend an enormous amount of money on building a PC for a game that's neither out nor have we seen more than a few glimpses of.

And with Dota 2 going down the tubes and Artifact (lol), I'm sure you should have the utmost trust in Valve's abilities.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i'm buying a pc for everything else too, op, because this one is over 6 years old now, not just valve's one game. it's nice to see that you're in every thread making GBS threads on vr unprompted, tho.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I'll make sure to cheerlead VR every time you post about it in order to not hurt your feelings in the future.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ufarn
May 30, 2009
When I said Nvidia wouldn't want to miss the release window for Cyberpunk 2077 with their new GPUs, this isn't what I meant:

https://twitter.com/NVIDIAGeForce/status/1229091206660943873

eames
May 9, 2009

Right so how much of a memory speed bump over a reference 2080ti are we talking? 50 Mhz? 100 Mhz? I need to know.

ActionExpress
Dec 28, 2002
RTX 2077?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
If nothing else, we're officially at the point where toxic gamer bros are gonna have to admit to doing the equivalent of buying a graphics card because it looked cute in pink.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

ufarn posted:

If nothing else, we're officially at the point where toxic gamer bros are gonna have to admit to doing the equivalent of buying a graphics card because it looked cute in pink.

yeston cute pet would like a word with you

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Stop being basic Nvidia, either post your info or dont post anything at all.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hey if you like what you see make sure you check out my onlyfans

-Nvidia

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

It's clearly a shower-proof, washable 2070 Super, for those of us prone to spilling dew in the case.

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ufarn posted:

When I said Nvidia wouldn't want to miss the release window for Cyberpunk 2077 with their new GPUs, this isn't what I meant:

https://twitter.com/NVIDIAGeForce/status/1229091206660943873

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

the context of the twitter thread is a "special edition" card for Cyberpunk, so i wouldnt be surprised if its like a reference 2080 Super with a silly paintjob.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Nice, liquid cooled.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

I mean, I wouldn't care enough to buy it but that is kind of a marketing layup.

eames
May 9, 2009

Igors Labs (previously german toms hardware) reports that board partners are already testing a new PCB manufacturing method for lower impedance/noise and higher bandwidth.

He speculates that this is a dry run for the next generation which he thinks will deliver a larger performance jump than usual. He also expects special editions of current cards to hit the market with this technology.

https://www.igorslab.de/en/why-the-...-investigative/

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What is the nature of graphics processing that GPUs are composed of lots of small compute units (sic?) compared to CPUs?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

What is the nature of graphics processing that GPUs are composed of lots of small compute units (sic?) compared to CPUs?

Lots and lots of independent operations with very few or no conditionals, think matrix math.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

eames posted:

Igors Labs (previously german toms hardware)

ze germans posted:

Of course, it would be pointless to take out the usual large speculum and nibble at it with relish....

:stare:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Hahaha it's a pun on speculation/speculaas in the original article that didn't quite survive translation

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

eames posted:

Igors Labs (previously german toms hardware) reports that board partners are already testing a new PCB manufacturing method for lower impedance/noise and higher bandwidth.

He speculates that this is a dry run for the next generation which he thinks will deliver a larger performance jump than usual. He also expects special editions of current cards to hit the market with this technology.

https://www.igorslab.de/en/why-the-...-investigative/

Lmao via backdrilling is ancient tech used mostly when u need impedence control and for rf. Used for ages in serious pcb manufacturing.

Next they'll discover microvias but that'd add a $1 to the pcb cost we can't have that

Ftr this will mostly help pcie 4 and maybe ultra high frequency ram but hbm is likely the better choice there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Oh even worse, it's just for a dumb giveaway:

https://twitter.com/NVIDIAGeForce/status/1229450438992285696