Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

fe9 remake but with alternate universe owain and severa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

indigi posted:

I'd only buy one of them. the correct one. hail to the Adrestian Empire long may it reign

well yeah but there should also be a dimitri one, imo

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Endorph posted:

They didnt really 'tone it way down', tying a kid to a chair is still insanely abusive lol.

Maybe toned down is the wrong phrasing. Made less explicit? Tying a kid to a chair is bad, but it's not necessarily as bad as leaving them there for a whole day and telling them you're doing it to punish them for not being submissive and quiet enough.

Also playing through the Blue Lions version of WC, and holy poo poo, Sylvain might be an even bigger rear end in a top hat than Lorenz, which I was not expecting. The one nice thing he's done so far is not be racist towards Dedue, which... does not reflect well on the Blue Lions.

Felix owns, Dedue is a big gentle sweetheart, and Ashe, Mercedes and Annette are good kids. Looking forward to bonding with PTSD Dimitri and getting into Gilbert's bad daddery.

Taear posted:

Means no more manaketes though!

I'm sure we'll learn that Dagda is full of a different species of alien dragons, and Shamir just never noticed them.

Has there ever been a Fire Emblem game without someone turning out to be a dragon person? I think Gaiden's dragons were all just dragons, but that's it.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 15, 2020

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
A three houses sequel if you want it to be on the same continent would be hundreds of years in the future with save data transferring on who ruled the land

Tiny details like if a land is still governed by nobles or officials, but they still suck because it always gets corrupted

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I'm in Pegasus Moon and is there anything I should be hoarding currency for or should I feel free to spend down to buy stat boosts? I have about 65k after selling all the bullion and collectible fish in my storehouse

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Like Clockwork posted:

People keep saying that and I can't see it working, the games are just too different in terms of mechanics and changes to unify them in gameplay are going to be really disappointing to fans on both sides. The unit design directions alone are massively different.

E: responding to this
and also you'd have to figure out some way to work leif's army of 50 chucklefucks into fe4's design of 16 units that you deploy every single one of

the only games that are directly tied together enough and play similarly enough to work as a combo remake would be fe9/10 and those two are some of the longest games in the series, putting them together would result in a 200+ hour game.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Shops upgrade with your professor level, but I think the most expensive battalions are like 2.5k, and weapons and blacksmithing upgrades don't even go that high. As long as you can afford whatever promotion items you think you'll need, go hog wild.

My favorite use of surplus money is buying Black-Sand Steel and loading my army up with Killer+ weapons and Wo Dao.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Like Clockwork posted:

People keep saying that and I can't see it working, the games are just too different in terms of mechanics and changes to unify them in gameplay are going to be really disappointing to fans on both sides. The unit design directions alone are massively different.

E: responding to this

If FE4 and 5 were separate games, but still on the same cart, I'll take that

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Junpei Hyde posted:

imo hubert should kill bernies dad

Hubie seemed to get some serious catharsis outta killing his dad, he probably figured he shouldn’t take that away from Bernie.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Unfortunately I can't see that being economically viable for IntSys even if it'd be neat; it's bad enough having to sell what's technically like three and a half game's worth of stuff for the price of one, but it gets infinitely less viable when there's far less you can reuse between them. And you can't just sell the combined cart at the cost of two games, because much fewer people will be able to buy it even if they would have been able to buy one or the other sold separately, which will negatively impact sales.

E: a compromise: Hubert should kidnap Bernie's dad and present him for her to kill :hmmyes:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

CmdrKing posted:

Hubie seemed to get some serious catharsis outta killing his dad, he probably figured he shouldn’t take that away from Bernie.

Again strong reasons for why Hubert and Bernie are a great power couple.

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010
I think it’d be neat to have a prequel game about the War of Heroes with more of a Constantine era Roman Empire aesthetic than a medieval Christianity aesthetic. One of the things I really liked about 3H was that it actually felt like someone who did a deep dive on medieval studies and the weirder bits of Christianity worked on it in terms of how all the Church of Seiros stuff is handled, so I think it’d be cool if something like that could happen for a different time period.

Plus I really like the saints and think it’d be cool if they made properly playable manaketes with mechanics like the Demonic Beasts and whatnot. Indech and Macuil were pretty fun from the little bits we got of them, so I kind of want to see more of them.

Also some of the stuff in the Shadow Library in Abyss is neat as hell and I wanna see more done with that.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Eimi posted:

I did love how Birthright swapped around classes for a Japanese aesthetic and I liked that, it'd be great if we had a good game that did that. :v: I would love a Fire Emblem set in the classical era. Gimme hoplites.

The new assortment of classes in fates was one of the relatively few things that fates did pretty well.

But I'm not sure that's even enough to cancel out removing different menu graphics for each item in favor of generic category images. Sure they show weapon triangle but you could put backgrounds on unique sprites too.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Sucks that the only route I can recruit all the abyss+ anna is crimson, since every other route has the stupid Reunion gimmick.

It's probably too early to know what the Abyss people auto-promote to, but what is Anna's auto-promote as the game goes on before recruiting?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Anna goes up the thief tree iirc.

Not sure if the addition of trickster changes that.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Tae posted:

Sucks that the only route I can recruit all the abyss+ anna is crimson, since every other route has the stupid Reunion gimmick.

It's probably too early to know what the Abyss people auto-promote to, but what is Anna's auto-promote as the game goes on before recruiting?
What do these two things have to do with each other?

and serenes already has these:

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Tae posted:

A three houses sequel if you want it to be on the same continent would be hundreds of years in the future with save data transferring on who ruled the land

Tiny details like if a land is still governed by nobles or officials, but they still suck because it always gets corrupted

I think they should avoid a sequel on the same continent, because it would feel bad to smooth all the endings together into one. The near future should play out fairly differently between the routes because each of the leaders has different goals and methods. If they converged it would make it feel like the characters from Three Houses didn't matter, but they're the best part of the game, and they're not interchangeable.

The game would have to be fairly disconnected-- there couldn't even really be cameos because there is no character who is guaranteed to survive across all routes. At that point I'm not sure why they would bother instead of just making a new setting.

If they want something connected to Three Houses, a prequel would work better.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Andrast posted:

The world of 3h isn't particularly interesting so I don't really see any compelling reason to have a second game there

Yea I guess, they've not done tonnes of world building outside of Fodlan's history.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Taear posted:

Yea I guess, they've not done tonnes of world building outside of Fodlan's history.

Even using the names would give a fun connection, I think, and certainly ripples of all the Sothis/Seiros business could be used for fun little lore bits. The connection would be a gimmick at best, but I love gimmicks

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Make a game of Seiros and her journey to stab the poo poo out of an old man.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Would kill any number of men for playable Seiros

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'm never really interested in sequels. I guess if you could change history?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I'm close to wrapping up Cindered Shadows, I think only one more chapter left. Normal's actually kind of a stressfest, how is Hard?
Despite my stresses I feel like the limited repairs & money isn't as big an issue as they thought it'd be, so I'm curious if you burn through a lot more weapons

Pretty enjoyable, though. I like when FE does these little (mostly) self contained stories, I get al ot of Lyn mode vibes from CS in particular which I dig. It's what I was hoping the fire emblem mobile game would do (with some overlap of characters, maybe an overarching plot line for excuses), but, well...maybe by book 6....

e: I will say, though, that I think the story probably could have used some Sothis interjections.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Like part of what's interesting to me about 3H is the ambiguity of history, and as much as I'd like to see more of Rhea, actually witnessing the canonical history would lose something for me. It's why I'm sad they firmly establish Nemesis as just an evil evil baddy. He's far more interesting when you don't know the full story.

Also after finishing the dlc it's very weird how for being a side story not connected to the main plot they also established it as....not at all canonical to any in game route? Like it's events cannot have taken place during the story, it's weird.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'm not sure if it's Yuri or the Trickster class, but I love the fingergun attack magic animation.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The sidestory takes about a month after byleth gets the sword of the creator.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

So, that final boss of the dlc.
That's a lot to deal with, huh?

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Amppelix posted:

What do these two things have to do with each other?

and serenes already has these:

If you’re not using and levelling your original house on Maddening you’ll get your poo poo pushed in by the first post timeskip chapter

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

RevolverDivider posted:

If you're not using and levelling your original house on Maddening you'll get your poo poo pushed in by the first post timeskip chapter
Oh. Well maddening sucks anyway and at least on hard there's more than enough EXP to go around to raise a whole bunch of units including your entire house and at least five recruits, so this isn't an issue.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

You can do basically anything you want on hard and trash the game effortlessly so I’m assuming they’re talking about Maddening

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

rannum posted:

I'm close to wrapping up Cindered Shadows, I think only one more chapter left. Normal's actually kind of a stressfest, how is Hard?
Despite my stresses I feel like the limited repairs & money isn't as big an issue as they thought it'd be, so I'm curious if you burn through a lot more weapons

Pretty enjoyable, though. I like when FE does these little (mostly) self contained stories, I get al ot of Lyn mode vibes from CS in particular which I dig. It's what I was hoping the fire emblem mobile game would do (with some overlap of characters, maybe an overarching plot line for excuses), but, well...maybe by book 6....

e: I will say, though, that I think the story probably could have used some Sothis interjections.

Cindered Shadows Hard is tricky but a lot of fun. I haven't really felt that much pressure with repairs/money, honestly. I'm on the last mission and have a bunch of stuff to blow on upgrading more weapons; I should have done that sooner.

Mostly it just feels like I have to be smart about battalion and skill usage.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

RevolverDivider posted:

You can do basically anything you want on hard and trash the game effortlessly so I’m assuming they’re talking about Maddening

I am, and the trade-off to not worrying about leveling my own house in Crimson is no Catherine to carry me.

Azure might be the hardest maddening run because no free Slyvain and you don't get to abuse the Ingrid maddening bonus.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Just reached Balthus' paralogue, and uh

For one, it's actually difficult. The enemy units use some pretty nasty gambit schemes I haven't seen elsewhere on hard. For the other, it leaves a big ol' dangling plot thread about Monica's dad that I can only assume is never resolved or addressed again. Also Enbarr is apparently so riddled with organized crime that if church troops start fighting an imperial noble's army in the town square in broad daylight, ne'er-do-wells just come pouring out of the woodwork to slit any unguarded throats.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Ran Rannerson posted:

I think it’d be neat to have a prequel game about the War of Heroes with more of a Constantine era Roman Empire aesthetic than a medieval Christianity aesthetic. One of the things I really liked about 3H was that it actually felt like someone who did a deep dive on medieval studies and the weirder bits of Christianity worked on it in terms of how all the Church of Seiros stuff is handled, so I think it’d be cool if something like that could happen for a different time period.
I mean, we see the (military) aesthetic in the opening cutscene and it's...well, it's the same as it is 1000 years in the future: same knights, same armor, same weapons etc. Almost as if there was a person in a position of power trying to keep things the same as back then.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Tae posted:

I am, and the trade-off to not worrying about leveling my own house in Crimson is no Catherine to carry me.

Azure might be the hardest maddening run because no free Slyvain and you don't get to abuse the Ingrid maddening bonus.

Yeah I just finished Azure this morning for my last run on Maddening and I think it probably ended up the roughest route. They have by far the easiest part 1 thanks to how useful Dedue is but a lot of them don’t scale great into Part 2 and the final battle is by far the hardest. Crimson Flower starts off incredibly fragile but a lot of them get the best tools for absolutely shattering part 2.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Maybe toned down is the wrong phrasing. Made less explicit? Tying a kid to a chair is bad, but it's not necessarily as bad as leaving them there for a whole day and telling them you're doing it to punish them for not being submissive and quiet enough.

Also playing through the Blue Lions version of WC, and holy poo poo, Sylvain might be an even bigger rear end in a top hat than Lorenz, which I was not expecting. The one nice thing he's done so far is not be racist towards Dedue, which... does not reflect well on the Blue Lions.

Felix owns, Dedue is a big gentle sweetheart, and Ashe, Mercedes and Annette are good kids. Looking forward to bonding with PTSD Dimitri and getting into Gilbert's bad daddery.

I'm sure we'll learn that Dagda is full of a different species of alien dragons, and Shamir just never noticed them.

Has there ever been a Fire Emblem game without someone turning out to be a dragon person? I think Gaiden's dragons were all just dragons, but that's it.

Sylvain is a misogynist who goes out of his way to treat women badly with like, three or four exceptions that he views as not like other girls. Because he has a sad backstory, you are supposed to care about him more than the women he hurts. He's... Fine, he's a well written character, but I'm so so so sick of this trope, especially after having close friends hurt by abusive men with sad stories, who people always close ranks around because can't you SEE they're a good guy they're just HURTING

Ugh

Edit: Also you can easily raise at least 5 extra characters without weakening your core team on Maddening, I have done it many times.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 15, 2020

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

capitaldelendaest posted:

Sylvain is a misogynist who goes out of his way to treat women badly with like, three or four exceptions that he views as not like other girls. Because he has a sad backstory, you are supposed to care about him more than the women he hurts. He's... Fine, he's a well written character, but I'm so so so sick of this trope, especially after having close friends hurt by abusive men with sad stories, who people always close ranks around because can't you SEE they're a good guy they're just HURTING

Ugh

Sylvain to me reads as a gay man who just never thought being gay was an option she he's filled with nothing but resentment towards women who he feels he's forced to date and marry and be intimate with. I don't think that excuses just how purposefully hurtful he can be, but that's absolutely my read on the character.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

capitaldelendaest posted:

Ugh
But the game never really excuses sylvains actions, almost all his supports involve him being called out for his behavior and he literally only has one romantic ending with a woman, its not like hes rewarded for being a sad jerk with endless pussy. Like if anything Sylvain is a version of that trope that focuses on how hosed up it is. I guess you could argue Sylvain is still the focus but I don't really get the read that the game is going its okay to abuse women if youre sad.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Sylvain has married endings with four women.

Still a lot less than most characters, though, even Lorenz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Hell, the entire thrust of basically every Blue Lion's supports is that Faerghus is a garbage culture that treats human life as worthless and needs a good overthrowing.