Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

anime breast is noble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's actually terrible if a game has a butt or boobs in it. Awful, #thinkofthechildren

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be playing Mortal Kombat 11, a sensible game for adults that gives its developers PTSD in the process of its development.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kanfy posted:

The artist was definitely fond of large bosoms and cleavage if you look at the community screenshot page, but also who really cares, not like those designs are generally bad or anything.

I suspect they just got a bit lost, lotta places on these forums where taking weak shots like that would get collective high-fives and cheers from the audience but the (J)RPG thread isn't really one of them.
yeah the art's pretty good and if they wanna draw some titties to go with it, more power to them. its not like the designs are really out of line compared to your average game or anything.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

why do so many people lose their minds every time they see a low neckline
the 2012-2013 games discourse taught them thats what sexism is so all conversations are just about that instead of anything that actually matters

not that titty designs cant be out of line sometimes but they're insanely hyperfocused on. like imagine thinking the sexist part of persona 4 is rise's bikini, thats the level some people operate at

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Idk much about the french revolution but I believe their clothes are accurate to the time?

e:

Marie got guillotined for being too close to the anime tiddy demo

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Banner of the Maid is quite good. It is basically Fire Emblem, and so far I've found it to be pretty challenging but not frustratingly so. I was looking for a new strategy RPG to play and I'd heard good things so I started when the English was still in beta, and it's not great. Nothing was difficult to understand, but every other line would have some kind of grammatical error or awkward phrasing. I haven't played it since the full English release came out, so hopefully it's improved a lot

Didn't really play enough to know if the plot is any good, it's got quite a slow start

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Crowetron posted:

I don't know if you've looked at Steam's marketplace lately, but those images barely even register on the horny game scale these days.

I'm logging onto Steam right now and purchasing said games just so I can leave a nasty review.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well gee; I could do the boss fight of the Zenita arc properly in Infinite Space, even though the motherfucker keeps reviving his forward ships, or I could throw about 80-odd starfighters right at the smug little poo poo's mothership and watch them chew him to pieces directly.

I choose Option B :allears:. I have a fleet of just a battleship, a carrier, and a cruiser, and I'm gonna get a second carrier next rather than another battleship.

SWARM FOR THE SWARM GOD! :black101:.

Recently I found my old card again and fired it up on my old 3DS. I was amazed that I still had my old clear save and immediately launched a new game+.

Now I can enjoy the story and slowly building up my fleet again, but all my crew members still have the max experience and levels they had when I finished the game the last time. What amused me the most however, apparently I spend almost all my money on new ships and equipment just before the final boss fight, because the money crossing over was barely above 10k. Well, it still doubled my starting money, so it's not all bad. At least this means a slightly easier beginning, not the complete erasure of all challenge.

That'll come with my first fighters. :v:

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm blaming protestant puritanism

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Libluini posted:

Recently I found my old card again and fired it up on my old 3DS. I was amazed that I still had my old clear save and immediately launched a new game+.

Now I can enjoy the story and slowly building up my fleet again, but all my crew members still have the max experience and levels they had when I finished the game the last time. What amused me the most however, apparently I spend almost all my money on new ships and equipment just before the final boss fight, because the money crossing over was barely above 10k. Well, it still doubled my starting money, so it's not all bad. At least this means a slightly easier beginning, not the complete erasure of all challenge.

That'll come with my first fighters. :v:

I'm doing a New Game+ run and started with about 10k as well, and it's more than enough to get you going with a fully-laden pair of starter ships. Your carried-over crew stats will also just about annihilate anything that is unlucky enough to cross your path in short order.

Also the best part of doing NG+ is that there's some schematics that apparently only appear in this mode. three of which are mecha for your Carriers called Mobile Weapons (there's a fourth in Extra Mode). They're the reason fighters have a "Slot" value, because they take two. Apparently they're obtainable VERY late in the game.

edit: Don't bother even looking at Carriers when they first pop up, get a pair of Eudora Cruisers instead. They actually have a much better fighter capacity.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 16, 2020

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

So I guess a new 3ds can play ds games which I had no idea so it's time to go rummaging for my Infinite Space Cart. Thanks nerds, I didn't have enough games to play already.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

cheetah7071 posted:

Performative puritanism as a kneejerk response to the way too commonplace sexualization of women

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
no one ever answered if you are stuck with the monarchists in that game and i'd really like to know.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

goblin week posted:

Performative puritanism as a kneejerk response to the way too commonplace sexualization of women
im assuming you mean 'oversexualization' because contrary to popular belief there is a difference

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Synthbuttrange posted:

yeah I've no idea why people would get the impression that this game has anime titties in it.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This post sucks my friend

cheetah7071 posted:

It's kind of funny to me that between 'Online Woke' culture and nerds desperately trying to prove to no one that they're a morally superior kind of nerd everyone's just become a hyper puritan.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's kind of funny to me that between 'Online Woke' culture and nerds desperately trying to prove to no one that they're a morally superior kind of nerd everyone's just become a hyper puritan.
One time I saw someone get called a pedophile for drawing ship art of a 17 year old jojo's character and a 19 year old jojo's character, lol

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

One time I saw someone get called a pedophile for drawing ship art of a 17 year old jojo's character and a 19 year old jojo's character, lol

It's just ruined everyone's brains. It's so frustrating.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

It's just ruined everyone's brains. It's so frustrating.

it extremely whips rear end when 20 y/os start parroting literal right wing talking points about Protecting Our Children because of someone's fanfic with 25 views

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I try to be more charitable. I was somebody who paid no attention to feminist media criticism before like 2015 as well so I think a lot of it is just overreacting and overcompensating. You wake up to this world where holy poo poo exploitation is everywhere and you want to do something about it but you don't know what. You thus take a good concept and run with it too far, to the point of zealotry.

It didn't help matters that the worst kind of people tried to insincerely position themselves as champions of artistic and sexual expression. "We will defend the boob anime and games from the Lefty Puritans who want to take it away from you." So naturally people recoiled from any position held by, well, Nazis, and that further complicated things.

But it feels like in 2020 people have generally calmed down and come to recognize the important difference between sexualization and oversexualization..

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

you may expose up to 45.67% of the boob, no more

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Endorph posted:

im assuming you mean 'oversexualization' because contrary to popular belief there is a difference

Oh, yeah. Sorry for that. :shobon:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

RPGs should make all the characters hot

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think i asked this in another thread (maybe the general chat thread) but how many RPGs are there where a dude is clearly the most sexualized character (this is almost certainly inspired by me playing Disgaea 4 with Fenrich running around in hot pants)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I blame twitter.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think i asked this in another thread (maybe the general chat thread) but how many RPGs are there where a dude is clearly the most sexualized character (this is almost certainly inspired by me playing Disgaea 4 with Fenrich running around in hot pants)

Bastard Bonds, probably

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I blame twitter.

i blame tumblr dying and shifting all that poo poo over to Twitter, as if that site wasn't bad enough

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i blame tumblr dying and shifting all that poo poo over to Twitter, as if that site wasn't bad enough

It was cool watching the weird rear end culture that was birthed on tumblr mutate into the horrific #cancellation beast that is modern twitter discourse.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

male gaze theory does not end with a character design having big tiddy. what also must be considered is how the character exists in their fictional world: do they have a purpose and motivation, or does their existence end as eye candy? how is this character framed by the narrative perspective of the work, i.e. camera angles and narrations? do male characters in the world sexualize the character, and is their response to that consistent with their established personality? how does the character appear in official, auxiliary content, like merchandise? etc.

reducing it all to "big baps bad" is an insult to these feminist theories

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

CYBEReris posted:

male gaze theory does not end with a character design having big tiddy. what also must be considered is how the character exists in their fictional world: do they have a purpose and motivation, or does their existence end as eye candy? how is this character framed by the narrative perspective of the work, i.e. camera angles and narrations? do male characters in the world sexualize the character, and is their response to that consistent with their established personality? how does the character appear in official, auxiliary content, like merchandise? etc.

Hrm...IDK. This all seems like it requires context and an examination of the media being criticized...Too much work.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i usually simplify things with the "would i be mortified if a roommate walked in with this character on the screen" test

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Junpei Hyde posted:

I have very good news.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i want an RPG where everyone is ugly. basically make it like one of those working-class 1970s sitcoms

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i usually simplify things with the "would i be mortified if a roommate walked in with this character on the screen" test

im sure you either mean well or are mostly joking but this approach seems like it could backfire pretty badly in a world that is pretty bad on the whole at dealing with media designed for women without categorizing it under cringe

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's Based to be Cringe in 2020.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Junpei Hyde posted:

RPGs should just be hot twinks and Maybe one Bear or Muscled up Himbo and a small child they have to teach to be a cool dude or all ladies who are gay and also maybe monsters.

Or a perfect synthesis of the two groups. See: Tales of Beseria or Final Fantasy IX

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i want an RPG where everyone is ugly.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

has anyone actually played destiny connect and is able to tell me what it's like?

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Hrm...IDK. This all seems like it requires context and an examination of the media being criticized...Too much work.

Who has time for that? Just give me the cliff notes or a cheat sheet so I can get a passing grade in "wokeness" and not have to critically think about the media that I consume.

:suicide:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Amppelix posted:

has anyone actually played destiny connect and is able to tell me what it's like?

until colonel made that post i had not seen anyone on this site even mention it outside of "it's out" maybe, maybe.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Power move is to test for roommates by deliberately leaving increasingly smutty characters on your screen and seeing if and when they get mortified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I try to be more charitable. I was somebody who paid no attention to feminist media criticism before like 2015 as well so I think a lot of it is just overreacting and overcompensating. You wake up to this world where holy poo poo exploitation is everywhere and you want to do something about it but you don't know what. You thus take a good concept and run with it too far, to the point of zealotry.

It didn't help matters that the worst kind of people tried to insincerely position themselves as champions of artistic and sexual expression. "We will defend the boob anime and games from the Lefty Puritans who want to take it away from you." So naturally people recoiled from any position held by, well, Nazis, and that further complicated things.

But it feels like in 2020 people have generally calmed down and come to recognize the important difference between sexualization and oversexualization..
Yeah that's a fair point, but at the same time even in 2020 you get people who talk about how 'censorship owns' or whatever because a couple hundred idiots on twitter made dumb posts about a minor visual edit in a JRPG, even when that same JRPG also actually censors gay stuff in it, or whatever. I think in general people just tend to cetnralize discourse based primarily around the stupidest thing they've disagreed with on twitter that day. Even the reactionary types are kind of doing the exact same thing. Not that they aren't stupid, not writing the script for the end of a south park episode here, but it's easy to fall into that trap when your 'friends' are feeding you nothing but links to the most kneejerk, 'this shouldn't exist and whoever made it should be punished' type responses.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It kinda varies because like, what is fanservice for girls isn't necessarily the same thing that's been trained to be fanservice for dudes. Social conditioning and all. So like, sad pretty boy with angsty backstory who just wants a nice girl to hold him is in the same arena as big titty older sister type, imo, even if one's more in your face than the other.

That being said, a fair few Tales games fall into this camp. Compare Luke's ab window to the girls in Abyss, who all have pretty normal designs. I think the wildest it gets is Legretta.

CYBEReris posted:

this is double complicated because japan has a fairly strong history of young women self-sexualizing as a form of rebellion against a restrictive society. not that this means senran kagura is secretly a feminist diatribe, just that you might put a confident, sexual character in her story for reasons besides 'appealing to men,' depending on how that character is framed. like uhh there's a lot of otome or 'girl attracts a lot of guys' type stories that are obviously framed for women's enjoyment but have an older, more flirty type girl who gives the mc advice, and that character isn't there to try to attract male readers or anything but because a lot of young women would have or want a friend like that, or think that sort of person is cool, or whatever.

I bring this up because the one time I went to resetera I saw multiple people saying ancient magus bride (beauty and the beast if beast was a sexy skeleton wizard and belle learned magic) was an incel diatribe because there's a single character who shows a decent amount of cleavage, lol.