Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

You've checked out currently airing dorohedoro right? I wouldn't really call it horror but "horror adjacent" is pretty right on the money, though the manga leans more horror the further into it you get so the anime might not be the best source of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the higurashi anime really plays up the violent horror-y bits tbh, the actual core of the story by the end is. way more of a goofy adventure story about everyone coming to terms with their personal trauma and anxieties

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah the second season of the anime is a lot slower and more mystery/thriller than horror

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dunno how the anime handles episode 8 but in vn form episode 8 of higurashi is legitimately just like, a fun thrill ride where everyone gets to look super cool for at least one scene lol

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
The second season has some neat tone shifts like that, yeah.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ThePagey posted:

Some of the non-gore oriented horror recommended earlier in the thread is much appreciated since I genuinely can't get enough horror anime, but I'm interested in seeing if anyone has any recommendations without any restrictions? AKA the gorier the better in contrast with the previous recs

I watched Higurashi no naku koro ni as a kid and it's due for a revisit. Same with Elfen Lied, though it may not be due for a revisit, thinking about it. Another was very good, Shiki was fun if not overtly impressive. I've watched a ton more but have the issue of not being able to recall their names in retrospect.

Monster is one of my favorite pieces of fiction in any media, period, so I'm open to slow pacing and long series, along with stuff that might only be horror-adjacent.

i suggest getting into horror manga instead as theres way more, and way better of it but

alien 9
the first 2 devilman ovas
Kikoushi Enma (ova series, not the other 2)

and uh check my post history in this thread as i think ive made horror recs like 30 times now

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Aside from the super anime character designs, Shiki is actually really good. It allows itself to be slower paced, and has a neat approach to a horror story. Make sure to watch the OVA right before the final episode though, it wraps up some of the subplots and I'm not sure why it wasn't part of the original broadcast.

Mononoke is another good horror anime. Its a horror anthology series with a wandering protagonist linking them all.

I made a halloween thread in ADTRW awhile back, and I was surprised how few horror animes there actually are.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 27, 2020

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ThePagey posted:

Some of the non-gore oriented horror recommended earlier in the thread is much appreciated since I genuinely can't get enough horror anime, but I'm interested in seeing if anyone has any recommendations without any restrictions? AKA the gorier the better in contrast with the previous recs

I watched Higurashi no naku koro ni as a kid and it's due for a revisit. Same with Elfen Lied, though it may not be due for a revisit, thinking about it. Another was very good, Shiki was fun if not overtly impressive. I've watched a ton more but have the issue of not being able to recall their names in retrospect.

Monster is one of my favorite pieces of fiction in any media, period, so I'm open to slow pacing and long series, along with stuff that might only be horror-adjacent.

Genocyber, stop after the first episode if you want good, stop after the third episode unless you hate yourself.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

On the higurashi note, watch both season if you do but skip the ovas they are traaaaaaaaash.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
if you can handle following an ongoing manga Monkey Peak is a survival horror thing with a group of employees from a pharma company on a day trip to the mountains who run afoul of some very murderous monkey-creatures. There's some gore but I don't care for really gory stuff and it's been at a level that was fine for me so far. It's updating about twice a month right now.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

ThePagey posted:

My friend if you want slow paced and horror adjacent Gilgamesh is for you

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Devilman Crybaby and Kemonozume are horror masterpieces, both from Masaaki Yuasa.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Everything Burrito posted:

if you can handle following an ongoing manga Monkey Peak is a survival horror thing with a group of employees from a pharma company on a day trip to the mountains who run afoul of some very murderous monkey-creatures. There's some gore but I don't care for really gory stuff and it's been at a level that was fine for me so far. It's updating about twice a month right now.
Binged this. I like how the office dynamics are carried into the survival scenario. Plus the monkey is very cool.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Finished No Game, No Life. I'm the biggest sucker for intelligent seventh-dimensional chess, but jfc the anime creepiness was a challenge to get through.

Fat surprise it's apparently a light novel or something.

Really makes me want to revisit Death Note.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

there's plenty of good light novel anime, even if that one is not

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

ThePagey posted:

I watched Higurashi no naku koro ni as a kid and it's due for a revisit.

There's going to be a new Higurashi anime, so you may want to wait on that until they announce what it actually is.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

death note, a series that definitely doesnt have issues with women

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Endorph posted:

death note, a series that definitely doesnt have issues with women
take a wild guess why i never finished it the first time around

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the death note guys are really funny because their manga about shonen jump, bakuman, has a segment where one of the guys goes 'huh, girls read shonen jump, right?' and their editor immediately goes "YES BUT THEY ARENT IMPORTANT" and this is never acknowledged again. the death note guys should be kissing the feet of and swearing loyalty to the fujos who read shonen jump, lol

ufarn
May 30, 2009
can't wait for the upcoming incel note chapter

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Aside from the super anime character designs, Shiki is actually really good. It allows itself to be slower paced, and has a neat approach to a horror story. Make sure to watch the OVA right before the final episode though, it wraps up some of the subplots and I'm not sure why it wasn't part of the original broadcast.

IMO the designs are a big part of what make Shiki work. Everyone has a very over-exaggerated hairstyle to serve as visual shorthand so that it doesn't have to spend even more time establishing its huge cast. Also as an English viewer it made it easier cause I remember a lot of the names in it being unfamiliar to me, whether it's due to time period or writer fiat

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I saw the Lupin III CG movie and it was great. I recommend it.

They made Jigen extremely hot, too

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
dear anime discussion thread, may I have a link to an adtrw discord.

Abysswalker
Apr 25, 2013

Toalpaz posted:

dear anime discussion thread, may I have a link to an adtrw discord.

YOU ARE THE 100,000th PERSON TO BE INVITED TO THE ADTRW DISCORD! HURRY AND CLICK HERE TO CLAIM YOUR PRIZE:
https://discord.gg/3ZFRYY

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

My sister in law asked me for suggestions for a show to watch with her kids (girls, 10 and 11 years old) which would also be a good candidate for group cosplay for the three of them.

I would have just shoved Precure at them, but unfortunately it has to be something available on Crunchyroll.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hungry posted:

My sister in law asked me for suggestions for a show to watch with her kids (girls, 10 and 11 years old) which would also be a good candidate for group cosplay for the three of them.

I would have just shoved Precure at them, but unfortunately it has to be something available on Crunchyroll.
Sadly anime for young girls is a massive blindspot for most streaming platforms.

Crunchyroll does have cardcaptor sakura, though. Shugo Chara as well, though I'm not sure if that would have enough charactwes for everyone. Maybe Wish Upon The Pleiades? For non magical girl anime, Yuru Camp would be appropriate and I could see kids finding it funny and relaxing, rhough it might be too laidback for them. Depends how much of an attention span they've got.

And its on netflix, not Crunchy, but if theyve got netflix as well, Little Witch Academia?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Hungry posted:

I'm pretty sure Princess Tutu is on Crunchyroll.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

AlternateNu posted:

It's not, though it is on Hulu, Amazon Prime, and Hidive.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ghibli movies. she can be totoro and the kids can be the kids

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

ghibli movies. she can be totoro and the kids can be the kids
She can be the tanuki with the biggest balls

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i saw a cosplay recently of girls und panzer with the mom as the finnish captain and her kids as the small tank team members but i think thats gonna be a hard sell

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Endorph posted:

Sadly anime for young girls is a massive blindspot for most streaming platforms.

Crunchyroll does have cardcaptor sakura, though. Shugo Chara as well, though I'm not sure if that would have enough charactwes for everyone. Maybe Wish Upon The Pleiades? For non magical girl anime, Yuru Camp would be appropriate and I could see kids finding it funny and relaxing, rhough it might be too laidback for them. Depends how much of an attention span they've got.

And its on netflix, not Crunchy, but if theyve got netflix as well, Little Witch Academia?

Cardcaptor Sakura or Shugo Chara might work! Thanks.

I actually gave them Yuru Camp and LWA on a USB stick ages ago, but no dice, despite one of the kids being a huge Harry Potter fan.

AlternateNu posted:

Also a good idea! Thank you.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm trying to remember the name of a mecha ova from the 90s. It was heavily 70s inspired, all the main characters were girls, that's all I can remember

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GorfZaplen posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a mecha ova from the 90s. It was heavily 70s inspired, all the main characters were girls, that's all I can remember

Gunbuster?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Iczer-1?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Gall force

ufarn
May 30, 2009
(If it is Gunbuster, be sure to watch the show instead of the movie btw.)

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Found it. It's Z-Mind

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Highest Grossing Media Franchise in 2019

1. Kimetsu no Yaiba

2. Love Live

3. One Piece

4. Kingdom

5. Tensei Slime

6. Idolmaster

7. Promised Neverland

8. Kaguya-sama

9. Touken Ranbu

10. Fate Series

11. Gotobun Hanayome

12. Kamen Rider Series

13. Detective Conan

14. Oshiri Tantei

15. Hypnosis -Division Rap Battle-

16. My Hero Academia

17. Bohemian Rhapsody

18. Attack on Titan

19. Mobile Suit Gundam

20. Idolsh7

21. Haikyuu!

22. Bang Dream

23. A3!

24. Twelve Kingdoms

25. Seven Deadly Sins

26. Sword Art Online

27. Dragon Ball

28. <Story> Series(Likely means the "Tales" franchise of games by Bandai Namco)

29. The Avengers

30. Golden Kamuy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

doomrider7 posted:

Highest Grossing Media Franchise in 2019

28. <Story> Series(Likely means the "Tales" franchise of games by Bandai Namco)

That's "monogatari".