Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

vyelkin posted:

imo it's pretty telling that despite the potential long incubation periods we haven't really seen any self-sustaining outbreaks (yet?) in other countries, and we haven't really even seen warning signs of them (since most people show symptoms after 3-5 days, if an outbreak was starting we would be able to see it much quicker) despite it being ~3 weeks now since international cases started being reported in noteworthy numbers. Disregarding environments like cruise ships that are perfect breeding grounds for disease, it seems like most of the world is (so far!) escaping pretty much unscathed.

6 weeks ago, the reports from the PRC were comparable to the spread internationally rn. 6 weeks from now it will probably be a total solid pandemic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

makes sense as to why it spread like an australian bushfire through that cruise ship.

edit: lol the distribution of cruise ship passengers is exactly what you'd expect

Notorious R.I.M. fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 18, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Backweb posted:

Apple and economists:
"lol prepare for ungood figures because of this"

SA Forum Users
"Really its NBD."

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

makes sense as to why it spread like an australian bushfire through that cruise ship.

edit: lol the distribution of cruise ship passengers is exactly what you'd expect

lmao they are floating retirement homes

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

etalian posted:

lmao they are floating retirement homes

now they're floating funeral homes

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

You're assuming the economy is tethered to reality in some way

Irrationality is confined within the bounds of reality, yes.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Gunshow Poophole posted:

source: Reddit and eversnuffley

lol
There was a tweet posted earlier that mentioned this.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

bob dobbs is dead posted:

6 weeks ago, the reports from the PRC were comparable to the spread internationally rn. 6 weeks from now it will probably be a total solid pandemic

6 weeks ago was January 6th, well before China even publicly acknowledged there was a virus and started trying to fight it instead of cover it up. The two situations aren't really that comparable.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

vyelkin posted:

6 weeks ago was January 6th, well before China even publicly acknowledged there was a virus and started trying to fight it instead of cover it up. The two situations aren't really that comparable.

You mean like Japan’s officials issuing mealy mouthed “Please be careful and don’t ride the train so much!” statements. This is after they had to fall back from the position of “Its not in Japan” to “Its not a problem,
also we’re not going to test everyone on the ship.” Governments all over are faced with the same dilemma. Either they do something now and impact business and money making or they defer.

Guess what they’re choosing?

Edit: Before I get told the old chestnut of “but the ship people aren’t in Japan!”, well they’re not but they infected being treated are in fact in Japanese hospitals where they’re likely infecting the odd staff or two while also occupying beds that local cases should they spring up can’t use.

VomitOnLino fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 18, 2020

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

vyelkin posted:

if people in other countries aren't even being tested yet, which they aren't (and the tests aren't very accurate, and the incubation period is long as hell), the initial stages of the spread will easily be mistaken for another nasty cold or flu. if people aren't being tested, the first obvious sign is going to be large numbers of people with nasty pneumonia who need immediate ICU care, and by the time that becomes obvious, the virus will have already been running rampant in those countries for weeks.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

vyelkin posted:

yeah, 3, sorry

doesn't hurt my point lol

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Fly Molo posted:

if people in other countries aren't even being tested yet, which they aren't (and the tests aren't very accurate, and the incubation period is long as hell), the initial stages of the spread will easily be mistaken for another nasty cold or flu. if people aren't being tested, the first obvious sign is going to be large numbers of people with nasty pneumonia who need immediate ICU care, and by the time that becomes obvious, the virus will have already been running rampant in those countries for weeks.

And this, too. Heck I have weird cold like symptoms including some minor chest discomfort, slight fever and cough - and before you laugh at me — I live close to a cluster of identified cases.
But — but, like heck I’m gonna risk going to a hospital which is rammed with people already panicking and perhaps some properly infected at this mild stage.

Basically if people have mild symptoms; some never even develop severe symptoms, they’re not gonna show up to be tested. Why would they. It would just disrupt their life for “nothing”.

Edit: I should emphasize that I absolutely don’t think I got it. But at the same time the payoff for making sure could be getting infected. So yeah

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Fly Molo posted:

right, but believe it or not public health officials think of these kinds of things too, like for example in the US the CDC has started a trial to run coronavirus tests on people presenting with flu symptoms who test negative for flu, to see whether the coronavirus has done just that. Or in the UK where they started tracking down and testing every person in the country who'd been to Wuhan recently. They aren't just sitting around on their hands saying "welp guess we don't have any coronavirus here!", they're actually making efforts to try and ensure an outbreak doesn't happen while the potential numbers of cases are still low. There's a world of difference between these kinds of efforts and the six-week-ago Chinese response of "there is no virus and everything is fine". I'm not saying these efforts will work everywhere, and it's possible, maybe even likely, that we'll see at least one localized outbreak cluster, but based on what we know right now I think it's premature and potentially alarmist to be talking like exponential growth is inevitable over the next six weeks just like happened in Wuhan. Especially since the graphs claiming to show exponential growth outside China are like half based on numbers from one quarantined cruise ship.

unmeidestiny
Sep 25, 2009

lol that there is a whole fascist adjacent internet subculture and youtube/conspiracy echo chamber that is just openly spoiling for this to be worse than it actually is

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

stephenthinkpad posted:

I just found out the Indonesians are still eating bats, no wonder there is no infected reported over there. They have been eating the virus and growing antibodies since millennia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWsWhypMjYM

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Minrad posted:

i lust for boomer death
These are mostly silents

unmeidestiny
Sep 25, 2009

Charlz Guybon posted:

These are mostly silents

people generally are after they're dead!!

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

so the virus kills (nearly) exclusively old people and cruise ships attract only old people

what a nightmare, there has to be a third factor about to drop to make the perfect storm, like if you listen to frank sinatra the virus becomes 100% lethal

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 18, 2020

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Mons Hubris posted:

it also seems a little misleading to count the boat, which is like the optimal breeding ground
Yeah without the boat and charter planes it's like 40 people and a third of those recovered already.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Gunshow Poophole posted:

source: Reddit and eversnuffley

lol

actually its not reddit and eversnuffley, its the reddit user eversnuffley

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

twoday posted:

PhD econ. Chief Economist of GnS Economics. Adj. Professor of Economics @ Uni Helsinki.
Economic growth, economic crises, monetary unions and central banks.

https://twitter.com/mtmalinen/status/1229417987846934530?s=19

yada yada yada...

https://twitter.com/mtmalinen/status/1229418028833607681?s=19

This guy only seems to be quoted by Zero Hedge style fringe outfits and is also apparently a total free market nut. Don't spread this nonsense.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Pryor on Fire posted:

so the virus kills (nearly) exclusively old people and cruise ships attract only old people

what a nightmare, there has to be a third factor about to drop to make the perfect storm, like if you listen to frank sinatra the virus becomes 100% lethal

one option: a lot of the elderly live in relatively dense clusters, so those who bring home a biological souvenir will have plenty of chances to share

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

AceOfFlames posted:

This guy only seems to be quoted by Zero Hedge style fringe outfits and is also apparently a total free market nut. Don't spread this nonsense.

Yep. also one of those guys who stubs his toe and blames it on central banks

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This ain’t yo daddy’s annual virus panic

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

I think that this thread is a great way to aggregate nonsense takes on the wuhan flu, keep posting gold bugs who are hole up inside their doomsday bunker

twoday
May 4, 2005

AceOfFlames posted:

ok, noted. I'm not trying to be the substitute Prestor Jane, and mostly try to check sources at least a little before I post them. I only posted this after confirming that this was an economics professor who has been a contributor to various prominent sites, but I don't know poo poo about economics. retweet is not an endorsement!

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twoday posted:

ok, noted. I'm not trying to be the substitute Prestor Jane, and mostly try to check sources at least a little before I post them. I only posted this after confirming that this was an economics professor who has been a contributor to various prominent sites, but I don't know poo poo about economics. retweet is not an endorsement!

Post freely friend

twoday
May 4, 2005

unmeidestiny posted:

lol that there is a whole fascist adjacent internet subculture and youtube/conspiracy echo chamber that is just openly spoiling for this to be worse than it actually is

that's not a nice way to talk about c-spam

twoday
May 4, 2005

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Post freely friend

yeah, I don't know, there are a ton of misleading clips I come across that I don't want to boost. For instance, there are plenty of neatly cropped clips clearly filmed during the past week or so that show police in masks arresting/carrying away civilians in masks that have commentary like "AUTHORITARIAN CCP THUGS HAULING OFF PEACEFUL GRANDMA TO EXECUTION CUBE PLZ RETWEET" and I don't want want to share those because they are posted totally without context, there is no way to verify what is happening in those clips, and spreading them causes unnecessary panic. Having read a lot about historical plague outbreaks, I know that similar circumstances in the past saw a massive uptick in crimes such as theft, looting, and murder. That makes sense because people are scared and desperate, but also because houses are left unattended, and people want to kill others near them whom they consider virulent. So I would expect many instances where people would be arrested now too. But if I can't confirm that they're throwing grandma into the execution cube, I'm not going to repost something that claims that.

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bakanogami posted:

On the one hand, everyone there wears masks already.

On the other hand, a lot of Japanese bosses do not give a poo poo if you're sick and will order you to take the crowded public transit to sit at your desk in the communal open office.

Lol apparently according to my friend who's lived there for a while said they don't have soap in restrooms there.
She would carry like soap paper just for that.

twoday
May 4, 2005

here's a good example:

this woman was not allowed to cross a bridge because of the quarantine, and got into a stand-off with the authorities guarding the bridge. Then she jumped off the bridge, and was pulled out of the water. Once they pulled her out they continued arguing and a bunch of police surrounded her in an intimidating way.

https://twitter.com/exapted/status/1227246939382505472?s=20

If you crop the last 20 seconds of this video, it looks like they are just rounding up a random person and harassing them out of the blue. Do I agree with the behavior of the police? No, of course not. But I understand that they felt obliged to do something about a person who was just arguing with them and then jumped into a river in february in front of their eyes while they were being filmed, so I'm not surprised they confronted her afterwards. That's not the same thing as them coming up to a random person and surrounding them. It's easy to trim this sort of video, add made-up commentary, make it go viral, and totally distort the narrative of what's actually happening and make people think there are police death squads roaming the streets senselessly killing anyone who stands in their way. And after reading this thread I get the impression that some people are quite sensitive to that sort of misinformation, so I don't want to promote those dubious out-of-context clips, especially if it's in a language I don't know

twoday fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 18, 2020

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Yes the virus also kills some post Boomers, but basically no teenagers.
Many youths here spend their time skipping school to protest climate change and the fash, while we skipped school to smoke joints.
What I am saying is that it seems like they are infinitely better than the garbage people of pre 00's, especially Boomers and people who are killing the earth.

Therefore,

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I am going to assume that since Florida has said theyre not reporting anything, that the state is nothing but flu-zombies ruled by their lich-king governor

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

its like the reeducation camps all over again

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

https://worldview.stratfor.com/article/china-unprecedented-demographic-problem-takes-shape posted:

Chinese society is on the verge of a structural transformation even more profound than the long and painful project of economic rebalancing, which the Communist Party is anxiously beginning to undertake. China's population is aging more rapidly than it is getting rich, giving rise to a great demographic imbalance with important implications for the Party's efforts to transform the Chinese economy and preserve its own power in the coming decade.

Two reports in Chinese media highlight different aspects of China's unfolding demographic crunch. The Ministry of Education reported Aug. 21 that more than 13,600 primary schools closed nationwide in 2012. The ministry looked to China's dramatically shifting demographic profile to explain the widespread closures, noting that between 2011 and 2012 the number of students in primary and secondary schools fell from nearly 150 million to 145 million. It also confirmed that between 2002 and 2012, the number of students enrolled in primary schools dropped by nearly 20 percent. The ministry's report comes one day after an article in People's Daily, the government newspaper, warned of China's impending social security crisis as the number of elderly is expected to rise from 194 million in 2012 to 300 million by 2025.

The Communist Party is already considering measures to counter, or at least limit the short-term impact of, demographic changes in Chinese society

:tinfoil:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1229620937219362821

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Ah, man. I was sure he was going to pull through after First Death.